• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Thoughts on the Upcoming Pokemon Switch Game?

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
I really don't get why people keep harping on and on about the price. YOU'RE GETTING A FULL GAME. A FULL HD POKEMON GAME. It's more than just a remake, it's an entirely new engine on a new console.

It's called bang for your buck. The same $60 you're spending on a simplified remake of a handheld game from 1996 can also be used on a full scale open world adventure game or a fighting game with literally dozens of characters or a racing game with 48 tracks and 42 characters. So why would you spend the $60 on Let's Go? The game just doesn't offer the same value that other developers typically provide at that price point. That's the problem, there's more to being a console game than just having HD graphics, console games are typically bigger on content, and content is something this game is sorely lacking in. The game is just all style, no substance, and not all of the fanbase is falling for it.

Prof. SALTY

The Scruffy Professor
It's called bang for your buck. The same $60 you're spending on a simplified remake of a handheld game from 1996 can also be used on a full scale open world adventure game or a fighting game with literally dozens of characters or a racing game with 48 tracks and 42 characters. So why would you spend the $60 on Let's Go? The game just doesn't offer the same value that other developers typically provide at that price point.

You might not see value in a kid friendly RPG with 152 of your child's favourite playable party members and local multiplayer at no extra cost to the parent via the joycons so they can play with their children, not to mention connectivity to a mobile game that they've at the very least heard of, but I'm sure many parents will see value in that.

Cradily17

I really don't get why people keep harping on and on about the price. YOU'RE GETTING A FULL GAME. A FULL HD POKEMON GAME. It's more than just a remake, it's an entirely new engine on a new console.
You know what Switch game will also be $60? Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. A game that includes every character from every previous Smash game as well as fan-favorite newcomers that people have requested for over a decade, over one hundred stages, over 800 music tracks, several returning and new game modes, and much more. A game like that would easily be worth at least $100. Pokemon LGPE instead has several removed features, fewer Pokemon than the Kanto remakes that came out almost 15 years ago, an awful replacement for the rival, lazily-animated attacks, and a variety of other significant issues. You cannot look at the other games on the Switch and claim that this sorry piece of trash is worth the same price.

BCVM22

A game like that would easily be worth at least $100.

You should stomp into your local game store and demand to pay $40 over the retail price, then.

You cannot look at the other games on the Switch and claim that this sorry piece of trash is worth the same price.

We can absolutely claim that this is a ridiculous way to try and valuate games. We can also claim that your hatred is borderline ridiculous and perhaps a breath or two on your part are in order. What's the goal here of angrily stomping up and down these threads, dogwhistling about people who do intend to buy the games and snarling about how much you hate them? Have your opinion all you want, but why be like this about something you could ignore and make your day that much brighter? Whose mind is getting changed with this behavior and what actually changes from being this angry about a Pokémon video game?

At this point the games just need to be out and out there so people can find the peace they so desperately crave in complaining about whatever comes next, because this is ridiculous.

Prof. SALTY

The Scruffy Professor
You know what Switch game will also be $60? Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. A game that includes every character from every previous Smash game as well as fan-favorite newcomers that people have requested for over a decade, over one hundred stages, over 800 music tracks, several returning and new game modes, and much more. A game like that would easily be worth at least $100. Pokemon LGPE instead has several removed features, fewer Pokemon than the Kanto remakes that came out almost 15 years ago, an awful replacement for the rival, lazily-animated attacks, and a variety of other significant issues. You cannot look at the other games on the Switch and claim that this sorry piece of trash is worth the same price.

Features weren't removed. This isn't a mainseries game, there is no basis for what should be included. Also, if I was a parent there is no way I would buy Smash over LGPE for my 4-10 year old child. Once again, YOU ARE NOT THE TARGET DEMOGRAPHIC. Honestly Smash Ultimate feels more like a slap in the face than LGPE. It's basically Smash U with older characters thrown back in haphazardly instead of new characters. THAT'S what I would call lazy.

But hey, pop off I guess.

Can we all move on to a more positive note now? Who's getting which version and why?

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。
I genuinely wish November 16 comes sooner, so the entire debate of it's worthiness can come to an end with objective product reviews.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
I personally can't wait for January/February (where we'll most likely get Gen 8's announcement) so this awful low point of the franchise is a thing in the past and adults on the internet can stop being so damn mad over if someone's choosing the game or not.

Kind of sad that Meltan is the only high point for these games. People get on USUM but those games actually added content besides just throwing in the 5 new Pokémon

How do you even compare this trash to the best game of the year: Smash Ultimate?

Last edited:

_Proteus_

I wouldn't call Smash Ultimate lazy work, but safe. Since it doesn't add much new, but bring back everything people liked and demanded.

If we want to stay on Pokemon, Pokken for Switch was a lazy porting.

But the more trailers come out, the more is clear this is nothing but a strict yellow remake, within an updated engine of 3DS game.
Even Masuda when asked by eurogamer if this can be considered the definitive version of Kanto, he doesn't answer.
Back at HGSS remake, the tones in the interviews were much different.... and actually these games are universally recalled superior than the original.
With ORAS we have some people still thinking that Emerald is still the definitive Hoen game beside it outdated graphics and gameplay...

We can assume there won't be another game of Kanto in a short time, so people have right to blame about LGPE.

Prof. SALTY

The Scruffy Professor
If we want to stay on Pokemon, Pokken for Switch was a lazy porting.

Haha, you're not wrong! But it's a fighting game, ports with minimal changes are part of the formula. And it was on a console that was dead before launch so I don't really see a problem with it.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
You might not see value in a kid friendly RPG with 152 of your child's favourite playable party members and local multiplayer at no extra cost to the parent via the joycons so they can play with their children, not to mention connectivity to a mobile game that they've at the very least heard of, but I'm sure many parents will see value in that.

You're missing the point. It's not about whether or not people like what's actually included. There's always someone that would like whatever's included. It's about whether or not what's included is considered enough and how it compares with other games. Yes, parents could like the idea of a kid friendly RPG. But for $60, they could be getting a kid friendly RPG that includes MUCH more content than what's being offered, and when other Switch games are offering much more, it feels like LGPE should have much more and makes it feel like a ripoff as is. That's what I mean when I say the game isn't good value. If someone offered you 5 apples for $10 and someone else offered you 10 apples for $10, of course you're not going to choose the 5 apples, so why would you do the same with video games?

Prof. SALTY

The Scruffy Professor
You're missing the point. It's not about whether or not people like what's actually included. There's always someone that would like whatever's included. It's about whether or not what's included is considered enough and how it compares with other games. Yes, parents could like the idea of a kid friendly RPG. But for $60, they could be getting a kid friendly RPG that includes MUCH more content than what's being offered, and when other Switch games are offering much more, it feels like LGPE should have much more and makes it feel like a ripoff as is. That's what I mean when I say the game isn't good value. If someone offered you 5 apples for $10 and someone else offered you 10 apples for $10, of course you're not going to choose the 5 apples, so why would you do the same with video games?

Name 2 kid friendly RPGs parents can play with their kids on the Switch.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
Features weren't removed. This isn't a mainseries game
They literally said that this is a main series game like the others but just in a different branch of its own.
there is no basis for what should be included. Also, if I was a parent there is no way I would buy Smash over LGPE for my 4-10 year old child. Once again, YOU ARE NOT THE TARGET DEMOGRAPHIC. Honestly Smash Ultimate feels more like a slap in the face than LGPE. It's basically Smash U with older characters thrown back in haphazardly instead of new characters. THAT'S what I would call lazy.
Sure because a game that manages to include every previous character back + new, mostly highly requested fighters, many small changes to each character, about 900 music pieces composed with plenty of them being newly remixed/made, many updated stages + new ones, other new things like those tourney modes, and who knows what's in that blurred out green section is totally lazy. Plus all the characters returned because it's was something highly requested. And Sakurai answered with adding them all in (and admits that he wasn't sure if that chance was going to be possible again). It might look like Smash Wii U in a way but, like Splatoon 2, it manages to still be very different to warrant a new and fresh entry.

Prof. SALTY

The Scruffy Professor
They literally said that this is a main series game like the others but just in a different branch of its own.

They said CORE game, not mainseries game. as in they want it to be a sort of sister series.

Sure because a game that manages to include every previous character back + new, mostly highly requested fighters, many small changes to each character, about 900 music pieces composed with plenty of them being newly remixed/made, many updated stages + new ones, other new things like those tourney modes, and who knows what's in that blurred out green section is totally lazy. Plus all the characters returned because it's was something highly requested. And Sakurai answered with adding them all in (and admits that he wasn't sure if that chance was going to be possible again). It might look like Smash Wii U in a way but, like Splatoon 2, it manages to still be very different to warrant a new and fresh entry.

I very much doubt adding in previously done characters would be that much work. I'm not really sure why people keep harping on about the music, it's all taken from other games with very few original tracks and the ones that are original use a lot of sample sections from other songs. stages are basically the equivalent of changing the texture behind the map and moving the blocks around a bit. Splatoon 2 is different in the way of not really having any games prior to the one released on a console that was dead before Splatoon even came out and wasn't getting the sales it deserved so Splatoon acts as more of a reboot.

I'm not saying I liked the minimal changes made to the original Splatoon before slapping a 2 at the end, however I can see why it was done and it's reached a much broader audience now.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...iculty-meltans-reveal-and-the-future#comments

"So actually it was more that one of the main targets of these games is kids, who haven't had the opportunity to play Pokémon Go, because you know, they don't have a smartphone."
"So when we tried to think about how kids these days generally play games, what came to mind was mobile games really"

This blatant contradiction is literally in the same interview, one question apart. Has Masuda finally lost it?

No, it's not.

The first answer references his main target. The second answer references the game's general market.

You are looking for things to be upset with. Knock it off.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Can we all move on to a more positive note now? Who's getting which version and why?

Pikachu because I can't evolve Eevee. I have no issue with not evolving Pikachu, because I never evolve my Pikachu anyway, and actually, I was planning to get Eevee until I found out you can't evolve it, at which point I decided to get Pikachu, because having an Eevee that can't evolve, which defeats the point of it being an Eevee, would have been too annoying to me to constantly have, so that's when I decided I'm getting Pikachu.

Xuxuba

Kids either play mobile games on tablets or their parents' smartphones. They can only play Go so much on someone else's device.
Actually, at least in the usa, almost half of the kids under the age of 11 own a smartphone. After the age of 11, most parents do not mind their kids owning a phone.

In Europe, the number is not that different. Nowadays, in Germany for example, at least 51% of kids younger than 11 own one.

It varies a lot depending of the country and it's culture though. In South Africa, 81% of the secondary students own one. In South Korea, 72% of the kids older than 11 own a smartphone.

Source: https://edition-m.cnn.com/2017/12/11/health/cell-phones-for-kids-parenting-without-borders-explainer-intl/index.html?r=https://www.google.com.br/

I guess Game Freak is marketing the percentage of kids under 11 who know how to read (since that is required for a rpg turn based game) and do not own a smartphone. But really, what are the chances that a parent refuses to buy a smartphone for their kid because they do not want them to be addicted to technology at such young age and yet still buys a 300 dolars nintendo console that can make their kid just as addicted as a smartphone?

Last edited:

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Masuda's reasoning for lack of cross gen evolutions is terrible. There were no Eggs in Yellow? I don't remember Mega Evolutions being there. There are only 30 Pokémon in future generations related to the original 151. Doubt that would've made that much of a difference (especially since the walking/running animations for all 807 Pokémon and their forms is in the data of the Alola games). I would've easily but aside the simplified gameplay in an effort to play through Kanto with Crobat or Happiny.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Masuda's reasoning for lack of cross gen evolutions is terrible. There were no Eggs in Yellow? I don't remember Mega Evolutions being there. There are only 30 Pokémon in future generations related to the original 151. Doubt that would've made that much of a difference (especially since the walking/running animations for all 807 Pokémon and their forms is in the data of the Alola games). I would've easily but aside the simplified gameplay in an effort to play through Kanto with Crobat or Happiny.
I would be upset if they continued that mentality into the hypothetical Sinnoh remakes. I don't want there to be only 2 fire types again.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
I guess Game Freak is marketing the percentage of kids under 11 who know how to read (since that is required for a rpg turn based game) and do not own a smartphone. But really, what are the chances that a parent refuses to buy a smartphone for their kid because they do not want them to be addicted to technology at such young age and yet still buys a 300 dolars nintendo console that can make their kid just as addicted as a smartphone?

Well, in that regard - though some parents may not be aware - the difference here is the Switch has strong parental controls that allow parents to monitor what their kids play and for how long.

This makes it easier for parents to control their kids' playing activity. I even told a couple of my coworkers about it, after they asked me what they should get their kids for Christmas.