• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Thoughts on the Upcoming Pokemon Switch Game?

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Missed opportunity for the Gym Leader& E4 Members to be Masters of their aces.

The people still trying to defend/denounce these games are so annoying I've muted LGPE or any variation of it on Twitter. Why are we still still defending or degrading these games like that'll change anything? Can't wait for this game's 2 months of relevance to blow over

Last edited:

Cradily17

Missed opportunity for the Gym Leader& E4 Members to be Masters of their aces.

The people still trying to defend/denounce these games are so annoying I've muted LGPE or any variation of it on Twitter. Why are we still still defending or degrading these games like that'll change anything? Can't wait for this game's 2 months of relevance to blow over

Yeah. It's gotten kind of exhausting. People are too dead set in their ways to change, so there's no point in even talking about this game anymore. Frankly, I'll just wait until Gen 8 comes out and hope for the best.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Love this feature, cool that they're trying it out here in LGPE. I hope something like this continues into other games if I end up enjoying it as much as I think I will.
Yeah it’s just too good. At least I would like them to have a selection from a variety of movesets so that one could be able to discover more.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Yeah. It's gotten kind of exhausting. People are too dead set in their ways to change, so there's no point in even talking about this game anymore. Frankly, I'll just wait until Gen 8 comes out and hope for the best.
All of this. These ganes are actually social experiments to see how people react to bad content from their beloved franchise lol

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Something interesting I just considered. The Pokémon official website claims that "some" Master Trainers will have you perform a task instead of battling them. The example used was for the Ditto trainer, so as to avoid a Ditto Struggle battle. However, using the word some implies it will be more than one. My guess is that the Legendary Pokémon Master trainers will also have tasks, so as to give those Pokémon Master Trainers without having to have completely random trainers using Legendary Pokémon. I sure hope that's the case. It would be pretty messed up to have a Mewtwo versus Mewtwo fight against some completely random NPC.

I'm sorry, but why are you complaining about people dead set in their ways when it's clear from posts you've made the past couple days that you're dead set in hating these games? It goes both ways, you know. In case you didn't notice, Ignition's original post referred to people who both defend and denounce the game.

Cradily17

All of this. These ganes are actually social experiments to see how people react to bad content from their beloved franchise lol

Haha. Yeah. GameFreak is testing the waters for how little effort they can put into a game before people stop supporting them. If they keep succeeding, it won't be long before they take a bag, fill it with dirt, slap the Pokemon label on it, and try to sell it for $60. I'm sure the world will freeze over before that happens though, I hope.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Actually, videogames are kind of hard to "price". Traditional products balance the cost of production (direct, indirect, workhand (i don't know if this is the term in english)) of the production + the gain/profit, that after all is the value that the consumer sees in the product, is "easy" to determinate the cost and the value of one unit. Videogame work with software, that has a cost of production, but you you can't "divide" that cost in a number of produced unit, but you can fix a price, according to the market, an determinate how much you need to proffit (That is the bussines perspective), after launch you can keep the sales at he same price (Nintendo way), or drop the price to stimulate sales. This is why huge game and some medium games cost the same, a two $60 dolars game can an abissmal diference of conten, but you can't sell that game for $80-90, so you need to sell more, at a standar price, and, for good or bad, consoles games are priced $50-60 since years, that is the standar, what people (the more relevant sales) have been willing to pay for years (And they haven't suffer a lot the inflation, games are actually more accesible nowdays).

The cost of manufacturing the CDs probably isn't the biggest expense anyway. The biggest expense would most likely be the man hours spent developing the game's assets. And LGPE has only taken what, 1 or 2 years and a team of 100some people to make? Compare that to BotW which took a team of 300 people 6 years to make. Or Mario Odyssey, which took Nintendo (not sure exactly how many people) 4 years to make? So yeah, LGPE is a minuscule effort in comparison to other Switch games and probably only costs a fraction of what those games cost.

For the consume sales, you pay for the experience that the game give you, you don't see the technology, the devepment effort, the desing proces, just value the joy of the hours of game base that that game can give you: 2 game of 20 hours can give you diferent experiencies, , and one worth it more than the other.
Furthermore detailed, complex game is not allways the best if is boring. You can buy Mariokart, 1-2 Switch, Just dance for the same price and end up playing more the laters because friends; You can play 300+ hrs of Fortnite, but play 10 of the new $60 ubisoft openwold.

And this is exactly the problem, the experience is far inferior to other Switch games with it being a simplified remake with minimal content, so there's less time to spend on these games. And as far as those multiplayer games go, they all have a variety of different features and gameplay modes to keep them from getting stale. LGPE just has regular old trading and battling, which doesn't get you very far.

The key is the Target audience, parents are going to buy Pokemon for their kids, is a $60 dolar (Second party) NS game, where the rest of Big Francise on NS and other PS/XB games, so they see no diference.
If the price is to much, the game will just not meet expectations, if it's, it will profit, that's bussines. If you don't see it worthy of the price, don't but, you are not forced to, just as the company is not forced to sell the game at $40-50.
(Sorry for my non native english)

The problem is that kids are more likely to play on tablets and smartphones nowadays than consoles. And parents are probably going to be less inclined to buy them a $300 console when their smartphone can entertain them just as well. Game Freak is demonstrating very clearly that they don't understand who's buying a console and why.

It's a new, main series, HD Switch game in Nintendo's second biggest IP. It's $60. It's really not that complicated, guys.

It's also not complicated to expect a higher priced console and game to provide a higher quality and more fulfilling experience.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
The Magikarp Master will probably have a Magikarp with Flail and Bounce.
I’m sure about pretty much. I think it’ll also get Tackle so at least it can have a full moveset. But Splash is where it’s really at and I would find a Splash battle hilarious.

jachimk

The master trainer battles of the one vs. one kinda reminds me of the climax battle in Mewtwo Strikes Back! where Mewtwo's clones are fighting off against their counterpart. Lol

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I just had a thought about being a Ditto Master. Since its only move is Transform, it’ll be an endless Transform battle unless it gets attacks. Having a think about it, I’d definitely like to be a Ditto Master too.

EDIT: RIP. There’s no battle with the Ditto Master and it would’ve been nice otherwise. But at least there’s a Metapod battle.

Sαpphire

Johto Champion
It's also not complicated to expect a higher priced console and game to provide a higher quality and more fulfilling experience.

And herein lies the issue. YOU don't think it's higher quality, YOU don't think it's fulfilling - that doesn't equate to objective truth regarding either valuation or the actual quality.

Not to mention that that's really not at all the point, or some standard that's always followed. There are some pretty horrible $60 games out there, and some great $20 games. It makes zero sense to say "I think this game sucks, so it should be cheaper." Establishing that it is, in fact, a brand new main series HD game in Nintendo's second biggest IP, though? Sounds like a pretty thoroughly objective way to explain the price.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Another thought about Master Trainers. I bet that they're the reason that the starters can be unorthadoxly found in the wild. It would suck if you got locked out of becoming the Charmander Master because you evolved your one and only gift Charmander before you beat the game.

For the same reason, we might be able to get multiple Omanyte and Kabuto.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
And herein lies the issue. YOU don't think it's higher quality, YOU don't think it's fulfilling - that doesn't equate to objective truth regarding either valuation or the actual quality.

Not to mention that that's really not at all the point, or some standard that's always followed. There are some pretty horrible $60 games out there, and some great $20 games. It makes zero sense to say "I think this game sucks, so it should be cheaper." Establishing that it is, in fact, a brand new main series HD game in Nintendo's second biggest IP, though? Sounds like a pretty thoroughly objective way to explain the price.

Willingness to pay is never really objective, it does vary from person to person. But when half of the fanbase starts to feel the same way? Then it's starting to hurt sales. It's not just about people having this opinion, it's about the amount of people having this opinion.

Furthermore, saying "I think the game sucks" is oversimplifying the argument. The problem is with how much content is included in the game, which is also objective. How many Pokemon there are to catch, how many areas there are to explore and how big they are, how many extra features there are, and how much time it takes to complete these things. These can all be quantified. The issue is that there's significantly less content here than other $60 games on the Switch, and that's what I mean by value. Not simply a subjective measure of how much I like the game.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Willingness to pay is never really objective, it does vary from person to person. But when half of the fanbase starts to feel the same way? Then it's starting to hurt sales. It's not just about people having this opinion, it's about the amount of people having this opinion.

Okay, hold up.

You put up a stank about my insisting half the fanbase would buy this game, but here you are insisting half the fanbase wouldn't. Have some consistency, man. You're definitely falling into that "I'm right because I want to be" category of naysayers I've been seeing around lately.

For the record, you have no more proof of how half the fanbase feels than I do. So at the very least, don't write it off as a proven fact.

EDIT: For the record, since a lot of people have yet to figure this out, allow me to impart some economical knowledge:

The price of a product in any industry, let alone the gaming industry, is largely dependent on that product's Cost of Production. The price allows the producer to make back the money well enoigh to not merely make a profit, but to also continue production. For example, the Joy Con costs $50 because its COP is insanely high. They must sell it at that price to continue producing the Joy Con in addition to their expected profit.

Therefore, regardless of what anyone thinks of the amount of content that's in Let's GO, the game is priced that way because of its Cost of Production (and yes, being an HD game on a current engine on a current console does impact the game's production costs).

Last edited:

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
It's weird how Candy can allow the stats of a Pokémon to exceed the maximum value of it in previous games. My guess is that the limit of Candy boosts to a Pokémon is very high to allow these high stat increases.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
It's weird how Candy can allow the stats of a Pokémon to exceed the maximum value of it in previous games. My guess is that the limit of Candy boosts to a Pokémon is very high to allow these high stat increases.

Given how hard we'll have to train to take on Master Trainers, I really do hope trainer rematches are possible.

I really don't want to have to catch a bunch of pokemon just to level up. I hate catching pokemon as it is.