• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Thoughts on the Upcoming Pokemon Switch Game?

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
I suppose I'll try to dignify your last few sentences. (Maybe we should do something else with our lives than go on serebii forums) As you know, game reviewers have to sit down and play through an entire game to then make their score. If they can start to finish a 60$ priced game in a few hours that's a problem. (Order 1886) Not including the amount of times you put any Pokemon game down because life called, that "ingame time" is inaccurate. If players can unintentionally speedrun a 60$ priced game, that's a problem. Gamers deserve good, quality content for their money. Devs did well if you were satisfied with the game for the price tag, but more content means everyone wins.

Since Bguy7 did a good job handling most of your post, I'm gonna handle the last of it:

1. I wasn't talking about game reviewers, and you know that.

2. But since you're on it, accredited outlets like IGN and Gamespot have game testers to play the games collectively, in order to get a review submitted by or within a week of the game's release. In other words, they're supposed to speed through it.

3. There is no way to 'unintentionally' speed through a game. If you finish it faster than expected because you wouldn't stop playing, that is your fault, not Game Freak's.

4. Guess what, bro? Sorry to break your heart, but no game is capable of pleasing everyone. Not every game is meant for everyone. Seriously, you and all the other manic naysayers need to cut the BS. This isn't about quality or merit. This is about you not getting what you want.

Pokémon has been on the back end of the development side of things compared to the rest of the industry for 20 years. I don't recall any of you putting up a stank like this in the past. Why? Because you got what you wanted. You're all full of it. You're just whining because things changed for a game that's aimed at a demographic other than you. Get over yourselves. You're not entitled to the Pokémon game of your choice, especially given you don't have to pay for it.

I know I said earlier that I would stop talking about these games, but I just can't help it. There's at least one more thing I want to bring up in response to the apologists. Why does it make sense to make the target audience of LGPE casuals and kids when most Switch owners are adults and hardcore gamers?

Do you ever actually do any research, or do you just talk?

Sαpphire

Johto Champion
I know I said earlier that I would stop talking about these games, but I just can't help it. There's at least one more thing I want to bring up in response to the apologists. Why does it make sense to make the target audience of LGPE casuals and kids when most Switch owners are adults and hardcore gamers?

Putting aside the "apologists" label, which I find pretty funny as a way to refer to people who literally just think y'all should give this still-unreleased game a fair chance...

Are they? Are they really? I don't know that I'd have ever considered the Switch market to be composed of "hardcore" gamers to any significant extent. As far as I've seen it's, well, pretty much the same old Nintendo audience of parents, kids, nostalgia junkies, and people who don't really like the style of the XBox and PlayStation or PCs (decidedly more hardcore gaming platforms), or want an alternative second system.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
If people really want a game on the level of BotW or Mario Odyssey, then they better get used to having 4 to 3 years of no Pokemon games so GF (their whole team) could focus their attention on making one game, but (from my personal experience) there is push back from fans saying they don't like having huge yearly gaps between Pokemon games.
I've been wanting this forever but gave up that hope once USUM were announced.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
There's at least one more thing I want to bring up in response to the apologists.

And there you go insulting anyone willing to give this game a fair chance again. Can you please stop making this personal?

Why does it make sense to make the target audience of LGPE casuals and kids when most Switch owners are adults and hardcore gamers?

First off, do you have any proof of that dubious claim? Last I checked, Nintendo systems and games have always been primarily targeted at children and family-based audiences. The Switch is no different.

Regardless of that, let's assume you're right. Let's say the Switch is mostly owned by adults and hardcore gamers. That does not mean that children and casual gamers do not own a Switch, and if they somehow aren't the majority, they're still a significant portion. It makes perfect sense to target this large demographic.

And even regardless of that, the goal of Let's Go is to target players who may not buy a Pokémon game normally, or who haven't bought one in years, and in the progress, get them to start buying regular Pokémon games as well. That goal is not affected by the Switch's primary audience.

Ducolamia

SAYYYY WHAT???
If that's true, then that's the biggest mistake he ever made.

How is it a big mistake?....When the games have sold relatively well?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/pokemon/comments/8lhg48/game_sales_over_time/

Masuda getting some control wasn't a mistake. While there were many things that I think he has done that are weird, I do think he's done some good. Like I said before he's best at directing 3rd versions/remakes because he generally has a grasps what people look for those types of games. He's just not a good director for new gen games.

Let's be honest we are never getting another game as popular as gen one. I think the reason GF even looked at PGO is because it spiked in popularity so much. Recreating that success I can argue is definitely what they're trying to do (which I think has mixed results). But Pokemon is still relatively popular and that isn't stopping anytime soon. The game sales definitely show it and they will do well regardless if Masuda is there or not.

The point I'm trying to make is that magically wishing Satoshi Taijiri will come bad won't automatically make Pokemon games better. From what I even recall the CEO didn't want them to be that hard to begin with. However Masuda stepping down from directing for the past couple of gens has been good. MINU
US black and white which are some of my favorite games in the franchise and he directed and made the plot for that game as well. So really it's a mixed bag.

Tl;Dr Masuda directing is a mixed bag. Satoshi Taijiri didn't even really want Pokemon to be competitive really...blah blah, Pokemon has been doing relatively well and while Masuda has faults he can direct a good game. He just says PR bullshit.

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。
If that's true, then that's the biggest mistake he ever made.

It was a big mistake yes but they will only learn from it if it will have negative consequences which is not sure at this point sadly.

And, how is that considered a big mistake if Pokémon has become a successful multi-generational franchise in that previous twenty years? Mind you, the franchise was supposed to end in Gold/Silver-era and pretty much was going to be yet another Digimon-esque 90's anime that cannot even have a successful revival after movie attempts.

Since Ruby and Sapphire, the franchise is consistently selling at around a 14-15 million copies, Pokémon Centers are almost out of stock every week and GO itself has brought 84.7 million revenue recently. Yes, Masuda is right for the fact mobile-gaming is the path to cash-success in late 2010's, but in a multi-cultural community like Pokémon, his closed-minded opinions centering about kids entail a risk for adults.

If you have no information how the industry works, then do your research.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
It was a big mistake yes but they will only learn from it if it will have negative consequences which is not sure at this point sadly.

Was Gold & Silver a mistake?
Was Ruby & Sapphire a mistake?
Was FireRed & LeafGreen a mistake?
Was Diamond & Pearl a mistake?
Was Black & White a mistake?
Was X & Y a mistake?

He directed all of those games. You just didn't know that. Enough with the bulls***. You've been playing this man's games all these years. Clearly, he's not as big of a mistake as you want him to be.

Prof. SALTY

The Scruffy Professor
Was X & Y a mistake?

He directed all of those games. You just didn't know that. Enough with the bulls***. You've been playing this man's games all these years. Clearly, he's not as big of a mistake as you want him to be.

Not to put a damper on this, but he was an assistant director for Gold and Silver.

Ducolamia

SAYYYY WHAT???
Was X & Y a mistake?

Just going to make a slight slight correction and state he Co directed some of those games such as Crystal and X and Y but your point still stands that he has had at least one major part in making these games.

This is why we shouldn't freak out over PR crap. Because let's be fair it's stupid what he says most of the time, but there is a disconnect (which I sometimes think is good) between what he gets v. what we do not get.

Creyk

I know, but I'm driving the point home nonetheless.

He has been a major force in the development of the series for damn near 20 years. To call him a mistake now is complete bull.

Most people lose their genius with time, old age is a factor, also they burn out in the process.
If I am thinking about it, it is unreasonable to expect a guy aged 50 to understand what 18-30 year olds want, their actual audience.
Oh well, may he can retire soon, before he ruins everything. We need ambitious young minds who can take this series forward...not throw away important pieces of progress. (abilities, held items, wild battles, 600 pokemon, oh but guys it's okay because pokemon follow us now!!! THE WORLD IS SAVED!!!)

Zhydra

Master of Chaos!
Most people lose their genius with time, old age is a factor, also they burn out in the process.
If I am thinking about it, it is unreasonable to expect a guy aged 50 to understand what 18-30 year olds want, their actual audience.
Oh well, may he can retire soon, before he ruins everything. We need ambitious young minds who can take this series forward...not throw away important pieces of progress. (abilities, held items, wild battles, 600 pokemon, oh but guys it's okay because pokemon follow us now!!! THE WORLD IS SAVED!!!)

He knew what the targeted audience wanted for nearly twenty years and I don't see you doing or saying anything that will move the series forward besides speaking how pokemon as a franchise is going to destroy itself.

Here is a better idea, if you don't like the game... don't buy it! If you are worried about what is going to happen for Gen 8... wait, see what happens and actually gather facts instead of relying on pure speculation.

Last edited:

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。
Abilities, Physical/Special split and more than 600 Pokémon were introduced during Masuda era. It is pointless to talk about they won't be present in the future games, especially when he clearly mentioned Generation 8 will follow the traditional suit XY and SM did.

However, I give you the right that Masuda must either retire at one point or let the fresh-bloods be responsible for important roles in upcoming generations to change his mindset. The older and experienced staff at the moment cannot pin down the 'wants' of child and adult demographic, which is why he mostly come up with excuses when an out-of-the-blue question is asked during interviews.