• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Thoughts on the Upcoming Pokemon Switch Game?

J. D. Guy

Yeah its frustrating when we don't get official names, but on the other hand sometimes they name a character Hilbert, so swings and roundabouts really.

I can see why they named him that considering the name means great battle or something in German or some other European language, but it's still not a great name.

Well darn! :( What did a person named Hilbert ever do to you?

Hilbert is a real name, more so than Blue or Leaf or Green, and more "mainstream" than Red unless you live in the American Deep South and happen to have an old-fashioned name (which I doubt most people would even know to consider, regardless of where they live).

And I like Hilbert as Hilbert. :)

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
On a different note guys. How do you think the Let's Go Sugimori-style Elite Four artwork compares to Pokemon Adventures Sugimori-style Elite Four artwork? The Let's Go style artwork looks like an evolution of Adventures old-style artwork!

150px-Lets_Go_Pikachu_Eevee_Lorelei.png
UoFff29.png

200px-Lets_Go_Pikachu_Eevee_Bruno.png
520px-Bruno_Adventures.png

150px-Lets_Go_Pikachu_Eevee_Agatha.png
500px-Agatha_Adventures.png

220px-Lets_Go_Pikachu_Eevee_Lance.png
728px-Lance_Adventures.png

Last edited:

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Speaking of the Elite Four art, I've got to say that I'm not really a huge fan of Lance's design. He just looks too much like an overconfident kid in this style. Everyone else looks like you would expect, but something about Lance just isn't right. Too bad, he's my favorite.

On a different note guys. How do you think the Let's Go Sugimori-style Elite Four artwork compares to Pokemon Adventures Sugimori-style Elite Four artwork? The Let's Go style artwork looks like an evolution of Adventures old-style artwork!

I'm sorry, but do you see manga connections with everything?

shoz999

Speaking of the Elite Four art, I've got to say that I'm not really a huge fan of Lance's design. He just looks too much like an overconfident kid in this style. Everyone else looks like you would expect, but something about Lance just isn't right. Too bad, he's my favorite.

I'm sorry, but do you see manga connections with everything?
In the same way a chunk of the Pokemon anime fanbase see a anime connection with everything. Also I believe your talking about Lance's pose that you don't find right.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I see what you did.

If we get an ice, grass and fairy move then it makes my point obvious. I do like how the game is compensating for you being stuck with an Eevee who cannot evolve and a Pikachu with the similar curse. (No Z move or light ball.) I wonder what more is in store.
At least its higher base stats compared to ordinary Eevee helps compensate for not being able to evolve. I have a feeling it will get Grass, Ice and Fairy exclusive moves and it'll be a good reference, just that the names aren't as good.

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。
Lorelei has the most improved design out of the batch and reminds me of the cosmetic change Glacia received in ORAS: A better dress, vivid hair color and visible lipstick.

Bruno is bland. At least, his face used to look a bit better but I straight out didn't like the face expression they assigned to him. Pass.

Agatha is a bit of a disappointment, as well. They could have given her a much scarier look; standing behind of her stick and looking down with her shady eyes. Her Gengar-designed stick stands out much more than her actual design.

Lance is one of my favorites along Lorelei. The fact that he looks younger given he will be the Champion in the next three years compliments the design for me. Also, I never liked his Tamer suit, and it is nice to see him with a shirt after RBY for once. Good call.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
About the new Elite Four art, I think that I still like Lance as usual even though I feel that he isn't as cool as before. I really like that change with Lorelei, especially with the purple streaks on her dress that makes her look less bland. Bruno and Agatha look the same as usual and I don't think the leaves on her back would have done much to improve her design.

shoz999

Lorelei has the most improved design out of the batch and reminds me of the cosmetic change Glacia received in ORAS: A better dress, vivid hair color and visible lipstick.

Bruno is bland. At least, his face used to look a bit better but I straight out didn't like the face expression they assigned to him. Pass.

Agatha is a bit of a disappointment, as well. They could have given her a much scarier look; standing behind of her stick and looking down with her shady eyes. Her Gengar-designed stick stands out much more than her actual design.

Lance is one of my favorites along Lorelei. The fact that he looks younger given he will be the Champion in the next three years compliments the design for me. Also, I never liked his Tamer suit, and it is nice to see him with a shirt after RBY for once. Good call.
Actually it's a bit hard to see but the Lance in the Adventures artwork is actually wearing his iconic red jacket which is based on the design from Gen 1. Before Let's Go, it was the Pokemon Adventures manga that contributed much to Lance's iconic red jacket design before his tamer-style design happened.

Gw7nXmU.jpg

Actually scratch that. Apparently Lance had this jacket in the original Red and Blue too.
125px-Red_Blue_Lance.png

Last edited:

Shadao

Aim to be a Pokémon Master
Right now, I'm more happy that Red is back to the classic black hair and (how do I put it) his Japanese roots. I get why they would make FRLG remake Red more "relatable" for international audiences, but I always believe that Red (being the first protagonist of Pokémon) should at least reflect Pokemon's origins as Japanese games that take place in Japan (Kanto region in particular).

In regards to Leaf/Blue/Green (I really think Gamefreak should have avoided the confusion of names by simply giving Red and Blue/Green actual names), I do find it amusing they are going back to the original design as the base for Leaf's new model. Though that means missing out the hat that she wore in FRLG. I wonder how she fits in the games? Universe hopping? If that's the case, might as well bring other famous trainers for us to battle.

As for the references to the Pokémon Adventures, I think it's primarily due to the art style in general being more chibi-esque this time around. Both Adventures (under Mato) and Let's Go use the popular Chibi style, likely to appeal to young kids who are not all that familiar with Pokémon.

shoz999

Right now, I'm more happy that Red is back to the classic black hair and (how do I put it) his Japanese roots. I get why they would make FRLG remake Red more "relatable" for international audiences, but I always believe that Red (being the first protagonist of Pokémon) should at least reflect Pokemon's origins as Japanese games that take place in Japan (Kanto region in particular).

In regards to Leaf/Blue/Green (I really think Gamefreak should have avoided the confusion of names by simply giving Red and Blue/Green actual names), I do find it amusing they are going back to the original design as the base for Leaf's new model. Though that means missing out the hat that she wore in FRLG. I wonder how she fits in the games? Universe hopping? If that's the case, might as well bring other famous trainers for us to battle.

As for the references to the Pokémon Adventures, I think it's primarily due to the art style in general being more chibi-esque this time around. Both Adventures (under Mato) and Let's Go use the popular Chibi style, likely to appeal to young kids who are not all that familiar with Pokémon.
Actually lots of people in East Asia have brown hair. I think they only did that change because Red kind of stuck out with his black hair among Blue and Green having brown hair.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
Red and Leaf being back to their original designs (for the most part) is not surprising, but I don't mind. I actually don't like Leaf's FRLG design since it's clearly made to make her look like a female Red. I hate it when Pokemon protagonists are just opposite gender versions of each other.

The skull markings on Agatha's dress makes her look more like a Poison-type Trainer than a Ghost type Trainer. ...Which she basically is since Game Freak chose to make a Ghost Trainer in a region with only three Ghost-types. ...And Lance has the exact same problem.

Prof. SALTY

The Scruffy Professor
I LOOOOOOVE the designs for Red, Green and Blue!

I also love the art style for the official art, especially the Elite 4 (Bruno looks so good!)

I can't wait till next Friday!

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。
That's why I said it is nice to see him with that outfit once again after RBY, especially after the lackluster design RBY used to have two decades ago.

On a different note, it seems majority of the people are interested in battling with Lance. I thought it would be a strong tie with Lorelei.

JygnXze.png

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.
Eh as Pokemon anime show fan and Pokemon special manga fan i doesn't really see that lets go red/leaf and green as their respective special manga counterparts nor they are a anime counterparts as well
As i find Pokemon special manga is stupid for named their own hero
I hope they are smart enough to use frlg/Hgss/bw2/sm & usum's Red as the main canon Red and let's go's Red named Satoshi/Ash and that just me .

Storm the Lycanroc

Oshawott Squad
With everything I've seen so far I'd consider LGPE to be a legacy game and love letter to Generation 1.

With that love for Kanto in mind I hope they got it out of their systems and wont continue to shove it down our throats in Pokemon 2019.

shoz999

DrcydjWU0AY2HNf.jpg
\
On a different note I wonder if the other gyms got makeovers? I have a hunch Blaine's Gym will make use of the volcano that appears on the map.

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.
Likey Blaine will use volcanoe to nod Ash vs Blaine in os anime show

shoz999

Just look at that city skyline in the background from Sabrina's battle. I know there all just the same buildings but it really makes you want to explore an open world Pokemon adventure in a third person view, from the skies, to the ground, across the oceans.

On a different note, I wonder if that actually takes place on top of the gym. You can see a "virtual" style floorground on the edge of the roof. Of course I think that virtual style is also used for Psychic gym leaders, especially Sabrina.

Ducolamia

SAYYYY WHAT???
Just look at that city skyline in the background from Sabrina's battle. I know there all just the same buildings but it really makes you want to explore an open world Pokemon adventure in a third person view, from the skies, to the ground, across the oceans.

On a different note, I wonder if that actually takes place on top of the gym. You can see a "virtual" style floorground on the edge of the roof. Of course I think that virtual style is also used for Psychic gym leaders, especially Sabrina.

I just realized that. Doesn't Sabrina's Gym take place in one building? I guess due to limited technology they couldn't show it being in a skyline even if they wanted too. I am glad they are revamping the gyms because I'm really liking the looks of them. The gym leader designs and elite 4 designs are okay too. Not the biggest fan of Sabrina as I prefer her HGSS design, but it works. I really love Lance's design though. Really nice red and black with him.