• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Thoughts on the Upcoming Pokemon Switch Game?

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
In only 2 days, I racked up over 24 hours of play time. I think I overdid it.

Luckily, I still have four more badges to get, so the game isn't over yet. I also have the entirety of Cycling Road to travel, which I am saving as sort of a post-game area, along with the Power Plant, Seafoam Islands (only went there for the TM), and the surfing routes.

I decided to take on Sabrina before Koga, since Sabrina's gym is a bigger pain in the neck to get through, in terms of the puzzle. I do love the way it looks, though. I can tell, much like with X & Y, the gym designs are a beta for the next game.

Prof. SALTY

The Scruffy Professor
I just beat the elite 4 yesterday morning and caught almost half the amount of Meltan needed yesterday for a Melmetal without pinap. Gonna go again tonight probably to get the remaining half

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Damn poor Melmetal. Reminds me of Ultra Necrozma's fainting animation

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~

Sαpphire

Johto Champion
Apparently the games have had a relatively strong start in UK sales. Despite stock issues, and a smaller install base than the 3DS when those games came out, they’ve opened with 116,000.

How this compares to the opening sales of other titles:

Sun/Moon: 290,000
OR/AS: 145,000
B/W: 125,000
X/Y: 124,000
E/P: 116,000
HG/SS: 90,000
US/UM: 78,000
B2/W2: 62,000
Pt: 59,000
(source: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...sales_give_new_entries_strong_start_in_the_uk)

So basically, even without accounting for complications this weekend with supply and delayed preorders, these have had a launch right in line with the rest of the series in one major market. Hopefully they follow X and Y rather closely and not Sun/Moon’s ratio, but they seem on pace for a solid ten million in lifetime sales.

Congrats to Game Freak on another success!

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。
Today is Cyber Monday(?) week for Amazon, meaning you may have the chance to get a discount coupon to use it on LGPE. I've been given one (13,49 EUR) and tried it to see how much discount I could get for non-Bundle version: it was 36.50 EUR.

In case you're debating whether you should buy it or not, you better give it a chance before the stock is sold out.

Lucky3

Apparently the games have had a relatively strong start in UK sales. Despite stock issues, and a smaller install base than the 3DS when those games came out, they’ve opened with 116,000.

How this compares to the opening sales of other titles:

Sun/Moon: 290,000
OR/AS: 145,000
B/W: 125,000
X/Y: 124,000
E/P: 116,000
HG/SS: 90,000
US/UM: 78,000
B2/W2: 62,000
Pt: 59,000
(source: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...sales_give_new_entries_strong_start_in_the_uk)

So basically, even without accounting for complications this weekend with supply and delayed preorders, these have had a launch right in line with the rest of the series in one major market. Hopefully they follow X and Y rather closely and not Sun/Moon’s ratio, but they seem on pace for a solid ten million in lifetime sales.

Congrats to Game Freak on another success!
Those numbers are actually stupidly good for a Switch game. For comparison, Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyssey both sold around 90,000 copies in retail in the UK in their first week. Considering this isn't even a new gen, there's nothing relative about it: That's a very strong start. At least in the UK.

Vernpole

Hey all.

I dunno if you remember me, but a few months ago I made a post sharing my frustrations with Let's Go and how I had no hype for it. When it came out a few days ago I decided to say "screw it" and I bought it, thinking I was gonna hate it. I wanted to share my thoughts, if that's okay. Remember, this is just my opinion, no one has to agree.

I'll spoiler it because it's quite long.

It's both better and worse than I expected. Allow me to separate The Bad and The Good.

THE BAD
. The catching mechanic. Good God, do I hate this mechanic. It is the number one most annoying thing about this game. What annoys me specifically is the fact that you can miss. In normal Pokemon, when you throw a ball it has a chance to catch or not. Even if the Pokemon breaks out it still had a chance to be caught. In Lrt's Go if your aim isn't true you will miss, and you'll waste those pokeballs.
Now, because i'm crap at this mechanic, i've missed a lot of pokeballs. That's a ton of wasted resources! I can't believe this replaced Wild Battles! Others may not feel the same way, but this annoys me to no end. Especially when the Pokemon start jumping around. I can't stand this mechanic and I hope it never returns, though unfortunately it probably will...

. The difficulty. Pokemon was never truly difficult, but it has gotten easier. A few months ago I replayed Platinum and Cynthia still gave me trouble, but this game is laughably easy. If you're over the age of seven and you have trouble in this game I will honestly be shocked. The candies especially make this ridiculously easy, I beat the Pokemon league with a Squirtle who one-shot everything. That's how OP candies are. And your Partner is a killing machine. I know this is meant to be the most casual of casual experiences, but it still left a bad taste in my mouth.

. How generic it is. In my opinion, this is the safest, blandest, most generic Pokemon game of all time. The only change is how you encounter Wild Pokemon. With most Pokemon games, even USUM, I feel this sense of wonder that I can't really describe. I didn't get that here. We're in the most overplayed region, with the blandest Pokemon, with the most plain imagery. I didn't feel involved in this game sometimes. I didn't feel like I was traveling through a living, breathing world, I was just going through the motions. The graphics are beautiful but the landscapes are very bland. It's a lot of green fields and cities, that's mostly it. I know this is all anecdotal but this is how I feel.

Now for, THE GOOD.
. As I said, the graphics are beautiful. This is the best Pokemon has ever looked. The world itself is gorgeous, but the Pokemon themselves sometimes look a little off to me. In general they look amazing too. It would've been nice to see my favorite Pokemon (Noivern) on the Switch, but I guess that's not gonna happen.

.The cuteness. I was determined to hate my Pikachu. Every trailer I saw the starters act all cutesy wutesy and it sickened me. But alas, I fell in love with her. Her name is Star and she's stupid and my daughter. She's my stupid daughter Pikachu and I love her.

.The Overworld encounters. I do like Random Encounters, I really do. but Overworld Pokemon are just as great! It makes avoiding them easier, and I can immediately just go to what I want to catch!

. The music. It's really good. That's all I can say really, the remixes are good. I really like the music that plays when you're doing online stuff.

. The redesigns. The Characters and the Gyms, specifically. Sabrina's one of my favorite Gym Leaders and she looks fabulous, her Gym is beautiful too. I love the city look. However, Blaine's Gym has to be my favorite. it's so ridiculous, I loved it.

. The references. A few times here and there a reference to another region or even another piece of Pokemon media will happen, and it's really cool! I thought this game was determined to pretend that only Kanto existed.

. There are some moments that are genuinely cool. Like with Bill, or Lavender Tower. Just really cool moments.

That's all i've got for now. All in all, i'd say it's OK. Nothing terrible, nothing amazing.

It looks beautiful but as a seasoned Pokemon player it was a bit too safe for me. Ignoring the abysmal catching mechanic. I enjoyed Sun and Moon more, simply because it tried to be more different.
Ditching the Gyms and focusing more on story was a big change at the time, and I really enjoyed it! the region was also a bit more varied. With all that said, I did enjoy my time with Let's Go.
Not a lot, but certainly more than I thought I would. I probably won't return to it (especially with Smash on the horizon), but I don't regret playing it.

However, I really wish we got a new generation. My favorite pert of new Pokemon games are the new Pokemon. Discovering them, training them, etc. This game had none of that for me.
It's a shame a new generation on the Switch probably isn't happening any time soon.

Last edited:

Sαpphire

Johto Champion
Hey all.

I dunno if you remember me, but a few months ago I made a post sharing my frustrations with Let's Go and how I had no hype for it. When it came out a few days ago I decided to say "screw it" and I bought it, thinking I was gonna hate it. I wanted to share my thoughts, if that's okay. Remember, this is just my opinion, no one has to agree.

It's both better and worse than I expected. Allow me to separate The Bad and The Good.

THE BAD
. The catching mechanic. Good God, do I hate this mechanic. It is the number one most annoying thing about this game. What annoys me specifically is the fact that you can miss. In normal Pokemon, when you throw a ball it has a chance to catch or not. Even if the Pokemon breaks out it still had a chance to be caught. In Lrt's Go if your aim isn't true you will miss, and you'll waste those pokeballs.
Now, because i'm crap at this mechanic, i've missed a lot of pokeballs. That's a ton of wasted resources! I can't believe this replaced Wild Battles! Others may not feel the same way, but this annoys me to no end. Especially when the Pokemon start jumping around. I can't stand this mechanic and I hope it never returns, though unfortunately it probably will...

. The difficulty. Pokemon was never truly difficult, but it has gotten easier. A few months ago I replayed Platinum and Cynthia still gave me trouble, but this game is laughably easy. If you're over the age of seven and you have trouble in this game I will honestly be shocked. The candies especially make this ridiculously easy, I beat the Pokemon league with a Squirtle who one-shot everything. That's how OP candies are. And your Partner is a killing machine. I know this is meant to be the most casual of casual experiences, but it still left a bad taste in my mouth.

. How generic it is. In my opinion, this is the safest, blandest, most generic Pokemon game of all time. The only change is how you encounter Wild Pokemon. With most Pokemon games, even USUM, I feel this sense of wonder that I can't really describe. I didn't get that here. We're in the most overplayed region, with the blandest Pokemon, with the most plain imagery. I didn't feel involved in this game sometimes. I didn't feel like I was traveling through a living, breathing world, I was just going through the motions. The graphics are beautiful but the landscapes are very bland. It's a lot of green fields and cities, that's mostly it. I know this is all anecdotal but this is how I feel.

Now for, THE GOOD.
. As I said, the graphics are beautiful. This is the best Pokemon has ever looked. The world itself is gorgeous, but the Pokemon themselves sometimes look a little off to me. In general they look amazing too. It would've been nice to see my favorite Pokemon (Noivern) on the Switch, but I guess that's not gonna happen.

.The cuteness. I was determined to hate my Pikachu. Every trailer I saw the starters act all cutesy wutesy and it sickened me. But alas, I fell in love with her. Her name is Star and she's stupid and my daughter. She's my stupid daughter Pikachu and I love her.

.The Overworld encounters. I do like Random Encounters, I really do. but Overworld Pokemon are just as great! It makes avoiding them easier, and I can immediately just go to what I want to catch!

. The music. It's really good. That's all I can say really, the remixes are good. I really like the music that plays when you're doing online stuff.

. The redesigns. The Characters and the Gyms, specifically. Sabrina's one of my favorite Gym Leaders and she looks fabulous, her Gym is beautiful too. I love the city look. However, Blaine's Gym has to be my favorite. it's so ridiculous, I loved it.

. The references. A few times here and there a reference to another region or even another piece of Pokemon media will happen, and it's really cool! I thought this game was determined to pretend that only Kanto existed.

. There are some moments that are genuinely cool. Like with Bill, or Lavender Tower. Just really cool moments.

That's all i've got for now. All in all, i'd say it's OK. Nothing terrible, nothing amazing.

It looks beautiful but as a seasoned Pokemon player it was a bit too safe for me. Ignoring the abysmal catching mechanic. I enjoyed Sun and Moon more, simply because it tried to be more different.
Ditching the Gyms and focusing more on story was a big change at the time, and I really enjoyed it! the region was also a bit more varied. With all that said, I did enjoy my time with Let's Go.
Not a lot, but certainly more than I thought I would. I probably won't return to it (especially with Smash on the horizon), but I don't regret playing it.

However, I really wish we got a new generation. My favorite pert of new Pokemon games are the new Pokemon. Discovering them, training them, etc. This game had none of that for me.
It's a shame a new generation on the Switch probably isn't happening any time soon.

I don’t feel like arguing over opinion - even if I really question some things, particularly regarding your assessment of Kanto and why anyone would actually abuse candies enough to sweep the League with a starter. But I do have to point out that there is what we would call a new generation happening on the Switch, coming next year. Those 2019 games have been in development just as long, presumably since USUM were done and ready for shipment. Getting the eighth generation right is something that Game Freak knows they need to do; thus, these games - which were easier to develop since the region and most of the story already existed - were a significantly smarter choice to release this year. With these out in 2018, they have another year to work on making the 2019 games as good as possible, and don’t need to rush a conceptually incomplete product to market. That’s the only thing I’ll really debate with people on at this point - if we’re to get the kind of games we all want in 2019, then it had to be either this or nothing at all in 2018. A new generation this year would have come way too fast to live up to the expectations people have already started to set for it.

That said, I’m glad you enjoyed your time with the game! Even if it’s not perfect, I’m glad people are able to have some fun with this release.

Vernpole

I don’t feel like arguing over opinion - even if I really question some things, particularly regarding your assessment of Kanto and why anyone would actually abuse candies enough to sweep the League with a starter. But I do have to point out that there is what we would call a new generation happening on the Switch, coming next year. Those 2019 games have been in development just as long, presumably since USUM were done and ready for shipment. Getting the eighth generation right is something that Game Freak knows they need to do; thus, these games - which were easier to develop since the region and most of the story already existed - were a significantly smarter choice to release this year. With these out in 2018, they have another year to work on making the 2019 games as good as possible, and don’t need to rush a conceptually incomplete product to market. That’s the only thing I’ll really debate with people on at this point - if we’re to get the kind of games we all want in 2019, then it had to be either this or nothing at all in 2018. A new generation this year would have come way too fast to live up to the expectations people have already started to set for it.

That said, I’m glad you enjoyed your time with the game! Even if it’s not perfect, I’m glad people are able to have some fun with this release.
Oh really? I guess that's good to know. I thought it would've been Let's Go Pichu or something.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master

I wanted to touch base on this.

Now, I personally prefer the games to have a modicum of difficulty, so I'm glad Let's GO wasn't terribly easy for me. It made the game much more enjoyable, not to mention having to train meant the game lasting longer.

As for the Candies, I'm actually pleased at how [potentially] balanced it really is. Contrary to early theories, there is indeed a limit, particularly due to the amount of Candies needed to increase a stat, which goes up as the pokemon levels up. I actually found myself using Candies periodically to cover a pokemon's weaknesses, much like one would with Vitamins and EV training. Even better, the use of Candies didn't make the game any easier. It just gave my team a slight edge.

Overall, the Candy system proved to far exceed my expectations, which were rather low. My only gripe is that it makes traininng a bit too easy, although the grinding I have to do to obtain Candies sort of makes up for it.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Hey all.

THE BAD

Now for, THE GOOD.

Everything about this I agree with. Especially the extreme lack of difficulty, blandness of the game, and the terrible catching mechanics. While not as bad as I thought, this was good for a one time occasion