• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Thoughts on the Upcoming Pokemon Switch Game?

BCVM22

That’s the only thing I’ll really debate with people on at this point - if we’re to get the kind of games we all want in 2019, then it had to be either this or nothing at all in 2018.

I genuinely feel like some people forgot this, or perhaps were intentionally ignorant of it. Generation VIII was never coming this year - it was always a measure like LGP/E, or nothing.

Some people seemed to have the genuine preference for "nothing," but that's neither here nor there.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
I don’t feel like arguing over opinion - even if I really question some things, particularly regarding your assessment of Kanto and why anyone would actually abuse candies enough to sweep the League with a starter. But I do have to point out that there is what we would call a new generation happening on the Switch, coming next year. Those 2019 games have been in development just as long, presumably since USUM were done and ready for shipment. Getting the eighth generation right is something that Game Freak knows they need to do; thus, these games - which were easier to develop since the region and most of the story already existed - were a significantly smarter choice to release this year. With these out in 2018, they have another year to work on making the 2019 games as good as possible, and don’t need to rush a conceptually incomplete product to market. That’s the only thing I’ll really debate with people on at this point - if we’re to get the kind of games we all want in 2019, then it had to be either this or nothing at all in 2018. A new generation this year would have come way too fast to live up to the expectations people have already started to set for it.

That said, I’m glad you enjoyed your time with the game! Even if it’s not perfect, I’m glad people are able to have some fun with this release.
I'd prefer no game this year. Not because of my mixed view on Let's Go, but to let GameFreak have more time with Gen 8 (not that I'm insisting these titles will hamper the quality of Gen 8)

Sαpphire

Johto Champion
I'd prefer no game this year. Not because of my mixed view on Let's Go, but to let GameFreak have more time with Gen 8 (not that I'm insisting these titles will hamper the quality of Gen 8)

I just can’t agree, only because a lot of people aren’t annoying these and I think they’ve had another team or two working hard on the next titles anyway. Maybe if these are highly successful, that extra bit of budget will kick in for the next ones? I respect the perspective, though.

Ignition

I just can’t agree, only because a lot of people aren’t annoying these and I think they’ve had another team or two working hard on the next titles anyway. Maybe if these are highly successful, that extra bit of budget will kick in for the next ones? I respect the perspective, though.
Fair enough. If that's the case, then Let's Go was a good decision financially for GF

Grey Wind

They probably would've had their B team working on something else any way, so I don't think it would've been any different.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master

Not making another game wouldn't have altered the size of the development team, nor the workload.

Game Freak deliberately makes several games simultaneously. This is how they are able to release a new game every year. As I've stated in the past, by the time the Gen 8 title is announced, Game Freak will have begun pre-development for Gen 9, with any additional Gen 8 titles beginning the programming stage. This is how they've always done things.

Remember, Red & Green was released in 1996. The demo for Gold & Silver was released in 1997.

Prof. SALTY

The Scruffy Professor
Not making another game wouldn't have altered the size of the development team, nor the workload.

Game Freak deliberately makes several games simultaneously. This is how they are able to release a new game every year. As I've stated in the past, by the time the Gen 8 title is announced, Game Freak will have begun pre-development for Gen 9, with any additional Gen 8 titles beginning the programming stage. This is how they've always done things.

Remember, Red & Green was released in 1996. The demo for Gold & Silver was released in 1997.

Gold and Silver suffered from severe delays so bad example, but I agree that it is their specialty... Now.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Gold and Silver suffered from severe delays so bad example, but I agree that it is their specialty... Now.

It's been their specialty for 20 years.

Yes, Gold & Silver suffered from the delays, but that doesn't change the fact that Game Freak began its development while still working on Red & Green.

BCVM22

Did they push out some manner of update this evening that fixes the issues throwing Poké Balls? Suddenly, throwing left and right seems to work a lot more like you’d think it should.

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。
Which Nature did you pick for your Eevee? My copy is arriving today, tomorrow the latest, and I couldn't decide which one to go with.

I can sacrifice from its Special Def. as Generation 1 doesn't have any or just a very few Special Fighting-type moves, also it's Eevee's best stat. I don't want to reduce its Special Attack stat to possibly run either one of Buzzy Buzz, Baddy Bad or Glitzy Glow along with Sizzly Slide or another Physical-move to maximize the damage output without leaving Sp. ATK behind. I am solely considering it for Wi-Fi battles, not to sweep through the gameplay.

So far, I thought Naughty, Rash, Naive or one of the four Neutral natures. Which one would/did you pick?

Ignition

Which Nature did you pick for your Eevee? My copy is arriving today, tomorrow the latest, and I couldn't decide which one to go with.

I can sacrifice from its Special Def. as Generation 1 doesn't have any or just a very few Special Fighting-type moves, also it's Eevee's best stat. I don't want to reduce its Special Attack stat to possibly run either one of Buzzy Buzz, Baddy Bad or Glitzy Glow along with Sizzly Slide or another Physical-move to maximize the damage output without leaving Sp. ATK behind. I am solely considering it for Wi-Fi battles, not to sweep through the gameplay.

So far, I thought Naughty, Rash, Naive or one of the four Neutral natures. Which one would/did you pick?
While I didn't pick Eevee, my friend has Eevee and we had this conversation and we went with Naive

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Did they push out some manner of update this evening that fixes the issues throwing Poké Balls? Suddenly, throwing left and right seems to work a lot more like you’d think it should.

I noticed that myself. I was catching pokemon rather easily last night.

Last edited:

GAK Attack

This is promising. Did you get a notice that there was an update available for the game or anything?

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
A small minority of loud-mouth assholes are review-bombing this game. Some bad reviews are actually legitimate with good input behind it but a lot of these bunch are clearly just taking advantage of the review system to make the game seem more hated than it actually is.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
A small minority of loud-mouth assholes are review-bombing this game. Some bad reviews are actually legitimate with good input behind it but a lot of these bunch are clearly just taking advantage of the review system to make the game seem more hated than it actually is.

Indeed. It was to be expected.

However, sales speak louder than anything, and sales have been strong.

Sαpphire

Johto Champion
Review bombing is so childish and stupid. It doesn’t even work as a tactic to get what you want - if the sales stay strong, as they did in the UK, Game Freak doesn’t give a hoot about a bunch of lonely nerds using their spare time to trash a product they don’t even own. Yuck.

Hope these things sell 20 million now.

GAK Attack

Indeed. It was to be expected.

However, sales speak louder than anything, and sales have been strong.
To be fair, sales indicate high expectations for the game. They don't say anything about peoples' satisfaction with the game once they start playing it.

I do think some people are being too critical of the games, but it's not all without merit.

Ducolamia

SAYYYY WHAT???
Review bombing is so childish and stupid. It doesn’t even work as a tactic to get what you want - if the sales stay strong, as they did in the UK, Game Freak doesn’t give a hoot about a bunch of lonely nerds using their spare time to trash a product they don’t even own. Yuck.

Hope these things sell 20 million now.

I think review bombing is just really unfair to this game honestly. I can people being upset with them. I really do. GF took a bunch of risks which I don't think nearly hit the same mark as they did with Su/Mo. So I can definitely see people being disappointed. But giving the review a 0 or a 10 with no proper argument is just a disservice. It doesn't help anything really. Yeah, we all have our biases with this game obviously, but what's important is that you back it up with some sort of context.

Honestly, pokejungle.net had a good article on this. There is no reason to be hating this game so much. It's not the end of the world (especially since we are getting another game next year). Sometimes you got to take a step back and realize some things are not worth getting super angry over. Yeah, I love pokemon, but I'm not so connected to it that I'll die on a hill for it.