• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Thoughts on the Upcoming Pokemon Switch Game?

Mr. Oshawott

I'm so thrilled that Pokemon Let's Go has sold so amazingly well after only 48 hours of its debut!:D
I found Combo-Catching wild Pokemon to be a much simpler way of raising my Pokemon than constantly engaging them in battle. I'm eager to see what Let's Go will look like in Johto.:)

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
I'm so thrilled that Pokemon Let's Go has sold so amazingly well after only 48 hours of its debut!:D
I found Combo-Catching wild Pokemon to be a much simpler way of raising my Pokemon than constantly engaging them in battle. I'm eager to see what Let's Go will look like in Johto.:)

I could personally do without the catching combos, but that's what Gen 8 is for.

I'm rather pleased myself with the sales. I'd like to see Let's GO become its own series, even if I don't intend to play all the games.

Satoshi & Touko

Peanuts aren't just a nut.
The only thing I really hope doesn’t happen as a result of such good Let’s Go sales is less output of “present gen” content outside of the initial entries into each generation. In other words, I don’t want to see less “third versions” or “sequels” as a result of Let’s Go sales.

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。
And then there's the catching mechanic. For me, it doesn't even have to do with the wild battles being removed. It all comes down to forced motion controls. By tying catching 'mons to my ability to properly flick the Joy Con, the game has made itself inaccessible to someone like me with a tremor disorder that makes it incredibly difficult to hold a controller of any sort without my hands spasming. I could always set my handheld down on a table to play Pokémon in the past... not so with Let's Go. So, yeah, I'm very concerned that this kind of thing will be a mainstay to appeal to the GO fandom and I simply won't be able to play the games anymore going forward.

I can totally understand about the forced motion controls and hand-spasming, and I also think that will be a returning feature in next generation as optional feature. Perhaps using the Switch in tablet mode and handheld-mode catching-style works for you.

The only thing I really hope doesn’t happen as a result of such good Let’s Go sales is less output of “present gen” content outside of the initial entries into each generation. In other words, I don’t want to see less “third versions” or “sequels” as a result of Let’s Go sales.

The successful sales figure indicates the next generation for Let's Go can be a thing. After all, it attracted the new fanbase, children, audience as their first game and they would like to see the continuation of it instead of being a one-hit wonder.

greninjamaster

Pokemon LG sold over 3 million copies in it's first couple of days globally. There's rougly 22 million Nintendo Switches. This is a huge success for Nintendo.

BBuT THIs GAmE Was GOnNA BOmB! NObodY CuRRs!

Clearly those people were wrong to no ones surprise.

I welcome these games. I look at them as a stroll down memory lane. One a year in between Generations instead of having to wait 2-3 years for the next big Pokemon title. Now it's consistent that every year we get a big Pokemon Switch title and with DP remakes coming hopefully for the Switch as well, a lot of promise in the future.

I do hope that for the next game in the LG series they allow players to actually battle Pokemon to capture them because I think that would be setting a middle ground, or make it optional to battle them like in all the games before.

Last edited:

SorrowJoy

Cute boi
Pokemon LG sold over 3 million copies in it's first couple of days globally. There's rougly 22 million Nintendo Switches. This is a huge success for Nintendo.

BBuT THIs GAmE Was GOnNA BOmB! NObodY CuRRs!

Clearly those people were wrong to no ones surprise.
As stated before by several others, as well as in interviews. These games were meant to integrate the massive community that has played Pokémon Go, especially the ones which fell in love with Pokémon because of that game, this game has given them not only more incentive to play Go more but it has given them a way to join the already massive "main stream players" although quite a few of them were toxic about this game. I've encountered many a casual player who has been absolutely enthralled with these cute games, they enjoy the ability to not have to know each and every tiny little detail that makes a Pokémon the best, its almost as if they can use their favourites and not be curb-stomped for doing so :O shocking, right?

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
I do hope that for the next game in the LG series they allow players to actually battle Pokemon to capture them because I think that would be setting a middle ground, or make it optional to battle them like in all the games before.

How would that fit in with the capture mechanic, though?

There would have to be a massive mechanic shift between wild battles and ball throwing mid-encounter in order to keep both features. That, I think, requires far more effort to develop than it's worth, not to mention playing through such could be a headache for players.

All I think needs to happen is a heavy upgrade in the catching mechanic. Give it more color consistency, improve motions controls, and offer more methods for obtaining PokéBalls and Berries.

greninjamaster

Nintendo was so dang smart to release this close to X-Mas. Releasing this and Smash Bros, Nintendo have X-Mas in the bag. This is gonna make a killing during the holiday season. Parents will automatically see the Pokemon logo and purchase this for the kids over Smash Bros, especially as a first game for their child for the switch. That and Mario.

These two games will rule the holiday market as will the Switch.

Last edited:

Grey Wind

Nintendo was so dang smart to release this close to X-Mas. Releasing this and Smash Bros, Nintendo have X-Mas in the bag. This is gonna make a killing during the holiday season. Parents will automatically see the Pokemon logo and purchase this for the kids over Smash Bros, especially as a first game for their child for the switch. That and Mario.

These two games will rule the holiday market as will the Switch.
It's super common to release games close to Christmas, it's not exactly a revolutionary marketing move lol.

TBH I'd be fine with no more third versions, they're an outdated concept anyway and I'd prefer to see a whole version released at once rather than them tacking on a few features to a re-release a year later. I just hope LGPE doesn't mean that we won't be getting traditional remakes any more, because I want the inevitable return to Sinnoh to be a regular title, and not a watered-down go version.

Sαpphire

Johto Champion
These have just made me want all the other regions in this form, if development times and costs warrant. Would be nice to got to Sinnoh like this, honestly, with maybe a little retooling of the difficulty to match the 4th generation more closely.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Lol at anyone who thinks these were going to flop or anyone who thinks they're proving something with the sales from the highest grossing franchise in existence. It's a given these were going to sell well: nothing revolutionary came from your conclusions

Well that was a mediocre experience. Returned the game and waiting for the GOTY on December 7th. Shame that a 7 year old lost interest in this but wasn't expecting much

Last edited:

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Lol at anyone who thinks these were going to flop or anyone who thinks they're proving something with the sales from the highest grossing franchise in existence. It's a given these were going to sell well: nothing revolutionary came from your conclusions

I don't think anyone was looking for anything revolutionary, just for the games to sell as well as Pokémon games tend to, so the fearmongers could shut their yaps for a while.

From the looks of things, it worked.

Anyhoo, while this game was enjoyable, I regret playing so much of it so quickly. Now I've beaten the game, and as with most Pokémon games, there isn't much to do afterwards. However, I think the biggest kick in the head for me is that my vast familiarity with the region allowed me to travel through it at an alarming pace. I already knew where everything was and how to get there, which lowered the playing time quite a bit.

I have a few places that I deliberately kept for post-game play, that being the Power Plant, Seafoam Islands, the Pokémon Mansion, and Cycling Road. I've already begun going through Cycling Road, which leaves the other three areas, along with the routes surrounding Cinnabar Island.

Well, that's somethin' to do. lol

Ignition

I don't think anyone was looking for anything revolutionary, just for the games to sell as well as Pokémon games tend to, so the fearmongers could shut their yaps for a while.

From the looks of things, it worked.
Like that'd actually shut people up. The use of revolutionary was for how surprised the Internet is on a given.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Like that'd actually shut people up. The use of revolutionary was for how surprised the Internet is on a given.

Even Nintendo was surprised, dude. Everyone [who was paying attention at least] was aware of the massive amount of egg shells Game Freak was walking on with this game.

Reggie Fils-Aime himself stated that the game is doing far better than Nintendo had expected. This not only means that Let's GO hit Nintendo's quota for it, but excelled that quota. I don't think they expected Let's GO to sell over 3 million copies its first week. Hell, I didn't either.

It's obviously not 'revolutionary' (I'm still rather confused by your diction), but it certainly defied all expectations, and that counts for something.

Prof. SALTY

The Scruffy Professor
I hope the pocket box feature and buddy feature integrate into gen 8. having the box there at all times is just so convenient and nice (though I don't like that it lumps everything into 1 box... separation please. at least separate the party from the rest). with some minor tweaks it could be amazing. Ridable mons dont need any tweaks... except making Venusaur and Blastoise ridable like why is that not a thing???

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。
I hope the pocket box feature and buddy feature integrate into gen 8. having the box there at all times is just so convenient and nice (though I don't like that it lumps everything into 1 box... separation please. at least separate the party from the rest). with some minor tweaks it could be amazing. Ridable mons dont need any tweaks... except making Venusaur and Blastoise ridable like why is that not a thing???
I wonder why Blastoise didn't make it to the cut as a rideable Pokémon for surfing. Lapras gets it, and surely Blastoise vs. Lapras anime race would have been a great inspiration for it.

Ignition

Even Nintendo was surprised, dude. Everyone [who was paying attention at least] was aware of the massive amount of egg shells Game Freak was walking on with this game.

Reggie Fils-Aime himself stated that the game is doing far better than Nintendo had expected. This not only means that Let's GO hit Nintendo's quota for it, but excelled that quota. I don't think they expected Let's GO to sell over 3 million copies its first week. Hell, I didn't either.

It's obviously not 'revolutionary' (I'm still rather confused by your diction), but it certainly defied all expectations, and that counts for something.
Overreaction. Defying all expectations is giving the game more credit than it deserves imo. Just think everyone was too worried with the vocal minority with these games but that's in the past

BCVM22

Every Water Pokémon except the two didn't make the cut for Surfing. Dewgong would have been a candidate, one would think. Starmie, inexplicably, made the cut as a rideable but not a Surfable, and so on. It clearly wasn't a matter of singling Blastoise out.

If I had to guess, I'd wager a lot of whether a given Pokémon did or didn't make the cut has to do with its model and simple aesthetics. In particular, I don't know that I've ever wondered "why can't we ride Venusaur?" but I imagine it has to do with the fact that you can't depict the player character as sitting on its back because there's a big ol' plant there. Once that's eliminated, your remaining option is to have the player riding on its neck, behind its head, and I imagine that would look awkward.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Overreaction. Defying all expectations is giving the game more credit than it deserves imo. Just think everyone was too worried with the vocal minority with these games but that's in the past

When it comes to sales I hardly think your opinion matters at this point, or anyone's for that matter.

This is likely why that minority has simmered down a bit. There are two sides to the fearmongering: the "it should fail" side and the "if it succeeds" side. The first side is dead. The second side likely won't be booming much anymore until close to May of next year, when press begins warming up for the Gen 8 reveal.

But even then, the game is out now. Nothing else can be said on the subject. Either play the game or don't. Not you, just in general.

Every Water Pokémon except the two didn't make the cut for Surfing. Dewgong would have been a candidate, one would think. Starmie, inexplicably, made the cut as a rideable but not a Surfable, and so on. It clearly wasn't a matter of singling Blastoise out.

If I had to guess, I'd wager a lot of whether a given Pokémon did or didn't make the cut has to do with its model and simple aesthetics. In particular, I don't know that I've ever wondered "why can't we ride Venusaur?" but I imagine it has to do with the fact that you can't depict the player character as sitting on its back because there's a big ol' plant there. Once that's eliminated, your remaining option is to have the player riding on its neck, behind its head, and I imagine that would look awkward.

I think it has mmte to do with Game Freak's knack for baby steps.

Little by little, more pokemon will be rideable overtime. In Gen 6, we had Rhyhorn, Mamoswine, Gogoat, Skiddo and Lapras. A good start. In Sun and Moon, Tauros, Machamp, Mudsdale, Sharpedo, and Stoutland were added to the mix, with Mantine added in USUM.

By Let's GO, four Kanto pokemon had models for riding, five if you include Charizard. With 18 riding pokemon total in the game, it's a nice upgrade. I think we'll see quite a few more in Gen 8.

Last edited:

Ignition

When it comes to sales I hardly think your opinion matters at this point, or anyone's for that matter.

This is likely why that minority has simmered down a bit. There are two sides to the fearmongering: the "it should fail" side and the "if it succeeds" side. The first side is dead. The second side won't be booming much until close to May of next year, when press begins warming up for the Gen 8 reveal.

But even then, the game is out now. Nothing else can be said. Either play the game or don't.
Well aware my opinion doesn't change the sales. Good thing my opinion was not about the sales but how all of you are perceiving it. Most of this is old knowledge that has nothing to do what I said but ok I guess lol. There's a bunch that can be said but that's besides the point