• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Thoughts on the Upcoming Pokemon Switch Game?

((JAWS))

Johto Boy
I would dislike a real time battle system. Stick to tradition.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer

Same here. I like the turn-based battle system and I would be upset if they switched to real time. Real-time battling belongs in spinoffs.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
GF doesn't need to compete with the major console developers. There's no need for an open world game.

False. Like it or not, they're always competing. Gamers only have a limited amount of time and money so they have to make choices between games. And now that the Switch has merged Nintendo's handheld and console markets, the competition is more direct than ever. The Switch is all Nintendo has now, so in order to lure gamers away from Microsoft and Sony they need games of a similar caliber. They need games that show the full capabilities of what the Switch has to offer. And yes, that does mean open world in this case. Pokemon, being one of Nintendo's biggest IPs and being an adventure game, needs to show off how large and open ended the game worlds can get. So yes, there is a need for open world.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
False. Like it or not, they're always competing. Gamers only have a limited amount of time and money so they have to make choices between games. And now that the Switch has merged Nintendo's handheld and console markets, the competition is more direct than ever. The Switch is all Nintendo has now, so in order to lure gamers away from Microsoft and Sony they need games of a similar caliber. They need games that show the full capabilities of what the Switch has to offer. And yes, that does mean open world in this case. Pokemon, being one of Nintendo's biggest IPs and being an adventure game, needs to show off how large and open ended the game worlds can get. So yes, there is a need for open world.

Pokemon doesn't have to be open world. I support more exploration, yes, but not full open world.

Blitz Lucario

There may be a compromise to this whole open world debate, instead of having one giant open world they could just include more optional locations to visit along routes. Basically areas that don't affect the overall story but unique locations to catch rare Pokemon. Some notable examples from past games would be Diglett Cave, Wayward Cave, Old Chateau, Relic Passage, Terminus Cave, Lost Hotel, and plenty of others.

Well it wouldn't be strictly real-time, as in Digimon World you would give orders and your digimon would execute them soon as its parameters would allow (similar to speed in pokemon), same thing would be happening for the opponent. It could be adjusted in the options to respect the turn-based tradition, but you would have exploration and fighting sessions flawlessly belnding with each other in the meantime.

Last edited:

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
I feel like I'm in such a minority when I want an updated battle system. I don't think real-time would work given how ridiculously slow the PGL servers are, but a more elaborate turn-based system with actual positioning and more strategic possibilities would be more than welcome for me, especially for triple, quadruple, or even quintuple battles. The single battle format as we have it now is just too boring for me to stay invested, it's almost purely down to type and stats advantages and switching. The double battle format is interesting in that you can have some nice combinations and collaborations between your pokémon, but I'd love to see more. You can keep the stats and damage calculations the same, maybe just add in a modifier for some moves that scales damage based on distance between attack user and target, modify accuracy based on distance as well, and give attacks a certain range.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
There may be a compromise to this whole open world debate, instead of having one giant open world they could just include more optional locations to visit along routes. Basically areas that don't affect the overall story but unique locations to catch rare Pokemon. Some notable examples from past games would be Diglett Cave, Wayward Cave, Old Chateau, Relic Passage, Terminus Cave, Lost Hotel, and plenty of others.

Except that doesn't really solve the problem because the issue is being forced along a particular path. Optional areas like that are mainly just a short aside whereas the main game is still linear.

Honestly, I see no need to compromise on open world. If you don't want to veer off and explore, you don't have to. Just go from town to town and ignore everything else. Whereas for the people that like to explore, open world is the ideal. You literally can't offer anything more in terms of exploration than having no boundaries whatsoever. It's not an intrusive design system and offers so much benefit to the gameplay,, so there's no real reason to have to satisfy the other side of it. They lose nothing.

Emperor Empoleon

Honor of Kalos
I feel like I'm in such a minority when I want an updated battle system. I don't think real-time would work given how ridiculously slow the PGL servers are, but a more elaborate turn-based system with actual positioning and more strategic possibilities would be more than welcome for me, especially for triple, quadruple, or even quintuple battles. The single battle format as we have it now is just too boring for me to stay invested, it's almost purely down to type and stats advantages and switching. The double battle format is interesting in that you can have some nice combinations and collaborations between your pokémon, but I'd love to see more. You can keep the stats and damage calculations the same, maybe just add in a modifier for some moves that scales damage based on distance between attack user and target, modify accuracy based on distance as well, and give attacks a certain range.
Oh I completely agree on this. It's one of the reasons why I like to see them innovate with formats like Rotation, Triples, or the various stipulations at the Battle Frontier. They maintain the core battle mechanics, but mix up the playing field with different rules. It's just too bad that those things never stick around long enough to really improve, apart from Doubles...

To be honest, I think that the core Battle system has been generally stagnant since Generation 4's Physical/Special split. Completely shifting how all Pokemon and their attacks interact with one another. Whereas later features like Mega Evolution or Z-Moves are simply new toys to play with, if you want. I hope they don't introduce another mid-battle power-up/gimmick...It's starting to inflate the game in my opinion.

Last edited:

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Battle Royals were a very neat idea but they didn't really execute it well. The current rules for who wins are fairly balanced, but they introduce them so early in the game you can't really play around with it more at that stage of the game, your unevolved level 20 pokémon simply get blown away by fully evolved level 50 pokémon, and the Battle Royals are never mentioned again after that. They also didn't bring them to the Battle Spot so you can't even get rated battles with them, nor can a meta ever actually develop. The fact that you need to invite people on Plaza for it and you need 4 people for a battle is a serious hindrance to actually get battles going. They should've brought Battle Royal to the Battle Spot, and maybe go even more nuts with it by introducing a Doubles format for it, so that every player has a 4-pokémon team and brings out 2 at a time, so there are essentially eight pokémon simultaneously on the field. Just go nuts with it and see what crazy strategies people can come up with for such formats.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Battle Royals were a very neat idea but they didn't really execute it well. The current rules for who wins are fairly balanced, but they introduce them so early in the game you can't really play around with it more at that stage of the game, your unevolved level 20 pokémon simply get blown away by fully evolved level 50 pokémon, and the Battle Royals are never mentioned again after that. They also didn't bring them to the Battle Spot so you can't even get rated battles with them, nor can a meta ever actually develop. The fact that you need to invite people on Plaza for it and you need 4 people for a battle is a serious hindrance to actually get battles going. They should've brought Battle Royal to the Battle Spot, and maybe go even more nuts with it by introducing a Doubles format for it, so that every player has a 4-pokémon team and brings out 2 at a time, so there are essentially eight pokémon simultaneously on the field. Just go nuts with it and see what crazy strategies people can come up with for such formats.

I very much but respectfully disagree with most of this. However, I do agree that Battle Royal was not well implemented.

The main thing that threw it off was that a battle ended after just one player lost. The battle should carry on until one player is left standing.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
I'm thinking that these games will have the same battle system as the previous games. There's no need to change the battle system at this point.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
I very much but respectfully disagree with most of this. However, I do agree that Battle Royal was not well implemented.

The main thing that threw it off was that a battle ended after just one player lost. The battle should carry on until one player is left standing.

I think that such a system would invoke too much stall and Protect-play into the game, I don't think it'd add to the fun. Granted, stall is pretty much impossible to pull off if all opponents decide to gang up on you, but that's only
if that actually happens.

I'm thinking that these games will have the same battle system as the previous games. There's no need to change the battle system at this point.

Why?

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
The turn-based battle system has been a part of Pokemon for over 2 decades. Changing it now may alienate older fans, especially competitive players.

Older fans have more than likely played other RPGs and video games, and thus will be able to adapt well to any new style of gameplay. It's more so the recent fans who would be hindered.

However, given that the Switch title is beginning a new era of the franchise, I honestly welcome a new battle system. I also do feel most older players would be understanding and welcoming to such a change, especially since many of them have been calling for change in the series.

raichu27

I think it would be nice to see the phone call and hold mail feature to return like they've had in G/S/C. Also, the radio thing, too.

Niormon

Exhibit A

https://youtu.be/HgTUuEG96K4?t=260

Exhibit B

https://youtu.be/zgAbM7s8CdY?t=134

and if we take into acount they started develpment around that time or even before that I highly doubt they had a new Battle system in mind don't forget that same Individual also said the switch game was going to be a Kanto remake https://twitter.com/JynxClub/status/945988718573137920 at that point I knew it was BS if their working on a new game on a new system chances are its going to be a new gen game and not a remake those games always come after a new gen game.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
The turn-based battle system has been a part of Pokemon for over 2 decades. Changing it now may alienate older fans, especially competitive players.

You can say that about pretty much every change though. Gym battles were also a part of the franchise for six battles and they ditched them in Alola (although I admit Grand Trials are effectively the same thing). If I was a developer I'd roll a completely new battle system out for Triple, Quadruple, and Quintuple Battles and keep Doubles and Singles on the old system. Maybe have both options available for Triples.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Older fans have more than likely played other RPGs and video games, and thus will be able to adapt well to any new style of gameplay. It's more so the recent fans who would be hindered.

However, given that the Switch title is beginning a new era of the franchise, I honestly welcome a new battle system. I also do feel most older players would be understanding and welcoming to such a change, especially since many of them have been calling for change in the series.

I have to side with RileyXY1 on this one. People can adapt to change, but this is way too much change. You're completely getting rid of one of the core mechanics in the series and having people completely rethink their strategies. And they may not like that. It's just too much of a risk for a series that sells so well as is. Real time battling would be better explored through spinoffs where they can attract a completely new audience without alienating the fans that still like turn based battling.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer

It's still an extremely drastic change that can alienate players and cause a decrease in sales.