• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Thoughts on the Upcoming Pokemon Switch Game?

Ducolamia

SAYYYY WHAT???
The only minor thing with the game (other than the fact that my arm is getting sore from using the joycon to catch everything) is that I wish you could access the Settings menu in-game instead of having to exit the game and go back into it.

Isn't most Pokemon games like that? It's the only way to pause the game for what I know so I understand why they do it, but I guess for future games they could remedy that by just having a pause button.

I usually play in hand held more when I get tired with my arm, do I understand what you mean.

Mr.Fiend

Everything stinks
Isn't most Pokemon games like that? It's the only way to pause the game for what I know so I understand why they do it, but I guess for future games they could remedy that by just having a pause button.

I usually play in hand held more when I get tired with my arm, do I understand what you mean.

Except you can access the options menu if you press the y button with a joy-con or shake the pokeball plus when outside of battle.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
Because, looking at his past comments as well, bolt has a (mind the language here) hate boner for these games.
Hate boner is my new favourite phrase
Consider 'hate boner' officially stolen.
*pecks keys that say “You are having that already”*

Tweet tweet

*Shares a letter*

“Dear people on this thread,

Using names like that doesn’t make you smarter in this conversation. Automatically lowers your chances in qualifying for the SPPf Exchange Program!

From, Dragalge”

Tweet *pecks MrFiend’s head and flies away*

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Using names like that doesn’t make you smarter in this conversation. Automatically lowers your chances in qualifying for the SPPf Exchange Program!

No one said it did, nor was it implied.

Your post is, subsequently, rather ironic.

SBaby

Dungeon Master

No, most Pokémon games, you just go into the in-game menu and the Settings is right there (it takes two seconds in most games). You don't have to turn off the game and go back into it to get to the Title screen to change them (which takes considerably longer because of load times).

As I said, it's a minor issue because you'll usually only have to do it once or twice per game, but it would be nice to just have it in the in-game menu for convenience.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
No, most Pokémon games, you just go into the in-game menu and the Settings is right there (it takes two seconds in most games). You don't have to turn off the game and go back into it to get to the Title screen to change them (which takes considerably longer because of load times).

That's not how Let's GO works at all.

Press X to access the main menu, then press Y to acces the Options menu. Folks just aren't paying attention.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
That's not how Let's GO works at all.

Press X to access the main menu, then press Y to acces the Options menu. Folks just aren't paying attention.

Really? Well, why isn't it just an option that you can select? I hate hot keys because you don't really look for them in JRPGs. You kind of expect that they'd put something like that as a selectable option. Especially since it's something they've done for twenty years. Like I said though, it's minor since you only really use it a couple times per playthrough.

Although to be fair, it also took them twenty years to figure out how to let the player see IVs. But that's not a negative on this game (anything where you can see those values can only be an improvement). Maybe now in the next game EVs will be visible too. What a concept.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Really? Well, why isn't it just an option that you can select? I hate hot keys because you don't really look for them in JRPGs. You kind of expect that they'd put something like that as a selectable option. Especially since it's something they've done for twenty years. Like I said though, it's minor since you only really use it a couple times per playthrough.

Although to be fair, it also took them twenty years to figure out how to let the player see IVs. But that's not a negative on this game (anything where you can see those values can only be an improvement). Maybe now in the next game EVs will be visible too. What a concept.

Dude, the note for Options is right under the main menu.

You're making it more difficult than it has to be. Just look.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
Dude, the note for Options is right under the main menu.

You're making it more difficult than it has to be. Just look.

The point is, it's never been there before. It's like the Judge function. If I hadn't seen that in a Let's Play before playing my copy of the game, I probably would have had the same difficulty finding it too. It's not something you generally look for in JRPGs, because most of those options are normally selectable in the menus. And this has been a basic fundamental option directly in the menus for the past twenty years. This is the first time it's ever been anywhere else. The fact that you had to explain to people where it is illustrates the problem with there being a lack of in-game information about it. Had you not told me where it was, I never would have found it.

Anyway, I just went over to RPGamer and read their review of the game. Seriously? 2.5 out of 5, and one of their biggest problems was the music? I'm beginning to understand why the term 'review bomb' is cropping up with this game. It seems like a lot of people are giving Let's Go bad reviews just for the sake of complaining about it without having any actual substance to their criticisms.

Prof. SALTY

The Scruffy Professor
The point is, it's never been there before. It's like the Judge function. If I hadn't seen that in a Let's Play before playing my copy of the game, I probably would have had the same difficulty finding it too. It's not something you generally look for in JRPGs, because most of those options are normally selectable in the menus. And this has been a basic fundamental option directly in the menus for the past twenty years. This is the first time it's ever been anywhere else. The fact that you had to explain to people where it is illustrates the problem with there being a lack of in-game information about it. Had you not told me where it was, I never would have found it.

Seems like you're just super salty about making a goof and posting it.

It very clearly says it on the bottom of the screen. I'd you didn't see it, that's on you. There are many JRPGs without ingame options menus or options menus at all by the by so not really an excuse.

Ducolamia

SAYYYY WHAT???

It very clearly says it on the bottom of the screen. I'd you didn't see it, that's on you. There are many JRPGs without ingame options menus or options menus at all by the by so not really an excuse.

Thanks for reminding me how much I hate that. There are so many many JRPGs that don't have in-game options and it infuriates me. I give Pokemon some credit for mostly keeping their UI simple. Though I will admit this UI took me a couple of minutes before I got everything. I wouldn't call it a major problem though.

Speaking of which, since we're on the topic. Which pokemin game has the best and worst UI to you? And how do you they could improve from LGPE? If you ask me, they should take a clue from HG/SS and improve from there. I want the next switch game to have an auto-run button, dammit!

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
Thanks for reminding me how much I hate that. There are so many many JRPGs that don't have in-game options and it infuriates me. I give Pokemon some credit for mostly keeping their UI simple. Though I will admit this UI took me a couple of minutes before I got everything. I wouldn't call it a major problem though.

Speaking of which, since we're on the topic. Which pokemin game has the best and worst UI to you? And how do you they could improve from LGPE? If you ask me, they should take a clue from HG/SS and improve from there. I want the next switch game to have an auto-run button, dammit!
The DS/3DS games undoubtedly had the best UI's (with Kalos on top due to the PSS imo) due to the Duel Screens being very convenient. In order though for me: XY -> ORAS -> SM/USUM -> HGSS = DPPt ---> BW/2

Worst is Gen I's imo. How can anyone replay these games with that mess?

Ducolamia

SAYYYY WHAT???
The DS/3DS games undoubtedly had the best UI's (with Kalos on top due to the PSS imo) due to the Duel Screens being very convenient. In order though for me: XY -> ORAS -> SM/USUM -> HGSS = DPPt ---> BW/2

Worst is Gen I's imo. How can anyone replay these games with that mess?

Gen 1's UI is a joke. Which is sad because G/S/Crystal is basically the same thing but a bit better. You have a bit more item space (not a lot mind you, but way more than hitting the 3rd gym and running out of space), the options is right there to access easily at anytime, and the game actually remembers what moves you used.

I know it was the first game, but I'd take the G/S/C interface as the oldest one to deal with. But I do agree that the DS and 3ds had a really good UI.

For me it's:

USUM/SM (USUM has more hotkeys)
->XY/ORAS->BW/BW2(could use a bit more organizing, but I like it regardless)
-->LGPE(same problem as BW/BW2)
->HGSS->DPPt----->Emerald/R/S-->G/S/C-->R/B/Y

SBaby

Dungeon Master

It's honestly not a big deal. I'm not sure why people are still going on and on about it (actually I do know, it's rule 38). No, what annoyed me about it is the attitude people displayed over it instead of simply explaining it. Mind you, it's what I've come to expect from this site (it happens so often that they could make an entire Gen of Pokémon just out of how often it happens in a year). But a simple, 'Hey it's on the bottom of the screen,' would suffice. One person did that out of everyone that responded to me. One.

As for your second point, yeah but most of those games were doing that since their series' started, instead of changing it after decades of keeping the same interface and not mentioning it in-game. And if you're going to use Disgaea as an example (it's what I would do), they tell you in-game about it. So it's kind of a moot point.

Last edited:

Ducolamia

SAYYYY WHAT???
It's honestly not a big deal. I'm not sure why people are still going on and on about it (actually I do know, it's rule 38). No, what annoyed me about it is the attitude people displayed over it instead of simply explaining it. Mind you, it's what I've come to expect from this site (it happens so often that they could make an entire Gen of Pokémon just out of how often it happens in a year). But a simple, 'Hey it's on the bottom of the screen,' would suffice. One person did that out of everyone that responded to me. One.

As for your second point, yeah but most of those games were doing that since their series' started, instead of changing it after decades of keeping the same interface and not mentioning it in-game. And if you're going to use Disgaea as an example (it's what I would do), they tell you in-game about it. So it's kind of a moot point.

To be fair, you really didn't ask that in your original comment. You said:

"The only minor thing with the game (other than the fact that my arm is getting sore from using the joycon to catch everything) is that I wish you could access the Settings menu in-game instead of having to exit the game and go back into it."

That's not question. That's a statement. And people asked about it, including I because (I assume) others didn't see too much of an issue. I'm pretty sure there's a help thread if you need your simple questions answered.

Regarding Disgaea, I'd argue there's more complex aspects to the gameplay of Disgaea compared to Pokemon. Thus, the more they have the explain the UI and things alongside that. The question we should be asking is that, do they really need to explain all the functions of every single bit of UI? No. The petting- pokemon amie-thing. Yeah, they need to explain that. But they don't need to explain where to find everything. Eventually you'll have to figure out some stuff on your own. (this isn't to sound condescending or anything like that). I'd argue LGPE is far from having a very crappy UI, it just needs to be organized a bit better.

There's a small notice on the bottom of the screen that tells you where your options are. However, I will agree that due to the small space of the screen they could make the text a bit bigger, a pet peeve of mine.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
I really hope future game don't limit you on your physical appearance like this game. Is it so hard to let us choose our hair, skin, and eye color manually at the start? We can do it in later XY and SM without any problem.... but in this game you don't even get to decide that at all!

Can't be a white guy with brown hair, instead you're stuck looking like Red Jr or being a blonde!
This was just two steps backwards on the whole "Create your own character" feature recent additions of the franchise have had.

Satoshi & Touko

Peanuts aren't just a nut.
I really hope future game don't limit you on your physical appearance like this game. Is it so hard to let us choose our hair, skin, and eye color manually at the start? We can do it in later XY and SM without any problem.... but in this game you don't even get to decide that at all!

Can't be a white guy with brown hair, instead you're stuck looking like Red Jr or being a blonde!
This was just two steps backwards on the whole "Create your own character" feature recent additions of the franchise have had.
I think we’re going to have to deal with the excuse of “It’s a remake” or “Kanto as normal didn’t have customization in the first place” or something of the sorts as the reason customization is trash.