• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Thoughts on the Upcoming Pokemon Switch Game?

Xuxuba

I spent 36 hours completing the story, main post-game battles and obtaining 120 Pokemon. I don't want to praise the games, but this notion that you have to catch lots of repeats to not get bored is hardly a universal truth.

If you catch other species while looking for rare ones, you're just going to end up waiting longer. Rare Pokemon have always been a pain.
It's also isn't a universal truth that catching one pokemon of each species makes the playthrough any better.

It is not that it prevented me from getting bored when i started a new save file where i caught a bunch of pokemon, but more like i was actually doing and accomplishing something since so many features in these games are tied to this. Believe me tho, i was almost as bored, because, while on one hand i wasn't just battling a few critters that barely gave me money and exp, on the other hand i was doing something that easily became repetitive, annoying and failed to help me form a bond with my pokemon by using them and training them which the old form of grinding at least did.

I had to try both approaches in order to form a better opinion on this game and my decision is that this is the first pokemon game i actually despised it and sold it a few weeks after i bought it.

That's the thing about RNG. Some people will have terrible luck and only find it after hours and others won't. The difference is now every pokemon can run away from you, including shinies, and the new ways to increase the chances of catching it aren't better than the previous one.
In the precious games, i also didn't have to grind by catching a bunch of the same in order to have a low chance of finding some rare pokemon, all i had to do was run in the grass.

I already predict this comment will anger some people like Prof. SALTY. Feel free to disagree but i will not be ashamed of my opinion just because i thought the game was bad, which i am completely entitled to.

Last edited:

Mr.Fiend

Everything stinks
It's also isn't a universal truth that catching one pokemon of each species makes the playthrough any better.

It is not that it prevented me from getting bored when i started a new save file where i caught a bunch of pokemon, but more like i was actually doing and accomplishing something since so many features in these games are tied to this. Believe me tho, i was almost as bored, because, while on one hand i wasn't just battling a few critters that barely gave me money and exp, on the other hand i was doing something that easily became repetitive, annoying and failed to help me form a bond with my pokemon by using them and training them which the old form of grinding at least did.

I had to try both approaches in order to form a better opinion on this game and my decision is that this is the first pokemon game i actually despise and sold it a few weeks after i bought it. I honestly wish i hadn't listened to some people here saying i was being too harsh on some of their decisions, because maybe then i would've saved some pennies.

That's the thing about RNG. Some people will have terrible luck and only find it after hours and others won't. The difference is now every pokemon can run away from you, including shinies, and the new ways to increase the chances of catching it aren't better than the previous one.
I also didn't have to grind by catching a bunch of the same in order to have a low chance of finding some rare pokemon, all i had to do was run in the grass.

I already predict this comment will anger some people like Prof. SALTY. Feel free to disagree but i will not be ashamed of my opinion just because i thought the game was bad, which i am completely entitled to.

Im perfectly fine with this, at least you actually explained your points and are respectful towards those who like the game, unlike bolt the cat, who pretty much called anyone who like the game "blind sheep".

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
They better bring back that sick Alola form evolution music in future games....

I think it took me about ~15 minutes to find Dratini

It took me 15 minutes of looking
Found TWO Dragonairs
No Dratini
Decided to come back post game and fly over in order to wait for one to pop up and catch it for the data.

BCVM22

There are people to whom these games were going to underperform regardless of how many units they sold.

Unfortunate and puzzling, but nothing to be done about it/them at this stage. I look forward to getting to the point where we can start complaining baselessly and endlessly about Generation VIII.

Prof. SALTY

The Scruffy Professor
There are people to whom these games were going to underperform regardless of how many units they sold.

Unfortunate and puzzling, but nothing to be done about it/them at this stage. I look forward to getting to the point where we can start complaining baselessly and endlessly about Generation VIII.

LOL! It's gonna be a rough one.

Ducolamia

SAYYYY WHAT???
It really does depend when you mean under-performed. For example for a "mainline" game it didn't sell nearly as well as it's predecessors which is something to take into account. I did talk to my friends about this game and a lot of them either brought this game thinking it was the new next gen game for the switch or just got it on a whim. While I don't consider my experience definitive by ANY means I have a feeling people probably just brought this as the "new" pokemon game to play. We do have to remember when Su/Mo came out we got a trailer almost every week and they really hyped things up. I think from first glance you could see what this game was going to cater to (go players and people who want a more casualized experience) so people could tell if they wanted to play it or not.

For some perspective the lowest selling pokemon games are third versions and sequels as seen on the chart I picked up below (the data might not be as accurate in 2019, but the numbers are still relevant).
xlnt9r7u3kz01.png

As we know LGPE sold 3 million copies which is basically underperforming for a pokemon game...AT FIRST, but it's also interesting to note that they broke the record for the fastest selling switch titles so far and that number is slowly going up. If you want another comparison, X and Y sold 4 million units within 2 days, but I'd hardly call that under-performing considering it eventually grew to be around 16 million units.

tl;dr

So really, I think for an "optional" mainline game, it did alright. On the low side, but this isn't a first and since the Holidays have passed I am not surprised if that number went up. These games are not the best selling pokemon games obviously, but they are by no means a financial failure.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Took me an uncharacteristically long time to due life circumstances, but I finally finished Let's Go Pikachu over winter break.

Basically what I have to say about it is that I'll stick by what I said in pre-release. It's far from the perfect Pokémon game, probably the worst since Gen II, but that doesn't make them bad games. They were perfectly playable and enjoyable. I have issues abound with them, but, in the end, I still had a good time playing the game, especially because I absolutely love that I can finally play Pokémon on a TV.

Since I came here to ask about it earlier, I'll specifically bring up my experience with the EXP Share. I was extremely annoyed to find that it couldn't be turned off, as in past games, having the item turned on completely ruined that pacing of the game. I am happy to say that I think this game was finally the one designed around having the EXP Share turned on. I did not once find myself getting over-leveled like I would have in other Gen VI and VII games. The one problem with that is I played in a style that only had me catching what I needed to catch, meaning the few Pokémon I needed for my team, and also the ones I was required to for the Fuschia Gym (Okay, that one really bugged me). So I wasn't gaining much experience through catching. My brother, on the other hand, played a game where he was catching tons of things, and he ended up severely over-leveled.

That being said, I still did have one issue with the EXP Share. It made it very hard to keep my team's levels balanced. Normally, with no EXP Share, if one Pokémon gets over-leveled by accident, you just don't use it for a couple of battles, and everything is alright. But with the EXP Share, even if you don't use it, it still gains experience, so it take a lot longer for the rest of the team to catch up. Because of this, I almost never got to use my Pikachu, which got over-leveled early, like most starters, and my Charizard, which was transferred from Go, so it got boosted experience. Meanwhile, it felt like I always had to use my Gyarados, as it always had the lowest level on my team. The EXP Share made things a bit of a chore in that regard.

dark_kitty091

I finally got around to playing Let’s Go, and I liked it more than I thought I would. I really like seeing the Pokémon around in the grass. It makes the world seem more alive. It wasn’t my favorite game, but I at least like it more than (Ultra) Sun/Moon. I guess Let’s Go is supposedly geared at the younger audience, but it was Sun/Moon actually that annoyed me more with the constant handholding and stopping of Rotom.

DR.gonzo

Have to hold my hands up guys and say this game has surprised me, I’m about 30hours in so far and just reached Fuscia City . Fun and Smiles throughout for me . Had the game since Christmas and really enjoying exploring Kanto once again . Most fun I’ve had in a Pokémon game since Alpha Sapphire .

Zhydra

Master of Chaos!
First off, who ever said these games stink without playing them, REALLY needs to actually try the game and see what is in there before running on biased hate.

On to the actual review since I finished beating Let's Go Eevee last night.

Let’s Go Eevee and Let’s Go Pikachu are the latest pokemon game out and the first two pokemon games on the Nintendo Switch. More of an experiment than that Gen 8 game everyone was raging for (Which is part of the reason for all of the hate.) and it is in a sense, a remake of Pokemon Yellow. If you played the Kanto games before, then you will by instinct, know the layout of the game.

There are many things in this game that WOULD turn a player away, from the Pokemon Go capture mechanics being a primary source of EXP and replacing the traditional system of battling the wild pokemon. (With some exceptions to the rule.)

The controls for the capture system, or one of the modes, I heard is VERY inaccurate and is the reason why I didn’t try that. Otherwise, I can see how it will be frustrating, like in Pokemon Go, the pokemon will move around, fight back against the ball and generally ruin your day.

As a source of EXP and candies to increase your pokemon’s stats, it can get draining if you grind that over and over. This is like that in most of the games in this series, but it can eventually get annoying.

There are exceptions to this with certain pokemon encounters in the game, Snorlax, Electrode and all four legendary pokemon are those you have to actually battle before capturing them. I say good luck, because most of them get a stat increase and you are on a strict time limit. (So no toxic stalling!)

In addition, it can make things VERY difficult for that newly captured pokemon to catch up with your team since the EXP share is always on. If you don’t stock up on rare candies, you are going to juggle your main team just for that one pokemon to be on par with them.

Because of this, it can also become easy to over level yourself and take the challenge out of a admittedly easy game. Most of this game has both an easy to win button and a make it difficult for yourself button, one is easy to press while the other one is hard to notice.

Personally, by the time I got to the Elite Four, my team was pretty much on par with them leveling wise, while in the final battle, I noticed the opponent is a couple levels over me.

Another thing to know, held items and abilities DO NOT exist in this game, this along with the fact that you are stuck with 153 pokemon is a hit or miss when certain pokemon get hurt by this. (Weezing, Mega Beedrill, Gyarados and several others.) The fact some of these pokemon have gutted move pools, will also make you reconsider using some of them, if you have used them in the past.

As a typical Gen 1 related game, there isn’t much of a plot. You go out in the world, catching pokemon, raising pokemon, beat your rival when you can and beating the villain team. (The simple, yet VERY effective and to the point, Team Rocket. A pokemon exploiting mafia that has been getting away with their crimes for God knows how long until you showed up.)

There are a few tweeks to this to make something of a story, but it will drop mid way in the game. First, if you know the story about Cubone and his mother, that gets focused on to the point that the little guy is willing to risk all sorts of danger just to see his deceased mother again. It’s a basic tear jerking moment that will get to you and it even helps your... rival, stand out, even among friendly rivals.

That rival goes by the name of Trace, the friendly rival that is filling the shoes of a classic jerk rival and now you have a reason to despise Trace.

He isn’t Blue, (though THAT jerk is in the game as a side character) he isn’t ever going to be Blue and surprisingly the game acknowledges this. Trace doesn’t exactly grow much as a character, his team gets strong, but oddly enough, the only reason he was able to go ahead of you and beat the Elite Four is because your player character allowed it.

Thankfully, unlike the so called group of rivals from XY. (The opposite gender character, Shauna, Tierno and Trevor.) Trace actually has a couple moments to make him stand out above them, I kind of spoiled that moment when I mentioned Cubone. In addition, the final battle against Trace is pretty fulfilling as a battle against your rival... though again, he is filling the shoes of Blue, so compared to that feeling of taking down an arrogant jerk, this isn’t that feeling.

Thankfully, he isn’t the only character of note in this game. Certain side characters you meet stand out along the way, the sudden Lorelei showing up on her Lapras to lend you a hand. Then you meet her later at the pokemon league, sitting on her Lapras all smug and beautiful. Archer who proves is this game that he is better off as Giovanni’s right hand man than a big bad like in the Johto games. (Guy develops a grudge against you.) Most of the Gym Leaders are expressive and have their own unique twist in their gyms visual. (Even Sabrina who is always going to be my favorite.) And while this games version of Jessie, James and Meowth are NOT like the anime by much, they make a good wall for you to fight and the things you see them in is pretty cute.

Some random things in the game actually giving you a good laugh. (Like finding the hidden Diglett in Fuchsia City.)

Speaking of cute, while your character is a heroic mime like all the others. Your starter is the one who is the more expressive of the two, Pikachu or Eevee... who are rarely in their balls, are your HM users and become your ace if you so chose.

You two do all sorts of things together on your journey; all of them are adorable, sweet and fitting enough, gives you the feeling that this is a journey that you and that starter are doing together. Something that is only given a taste in USUM where your character holds that adorable starter and when you reach to the Pokemon League, the two of you have that pep talk together before going in to make your mark.

I would list the moments between you and Pikachu/Eevee, but they are something you should see yourself. You can even have your other pokemon out with you and it makes you feel like you are your own trainer, though customization is VERY limited in this game. (I picked the police set.)

I only scratched the surface of the post game, but it isn’t that much compared to USUM’s post game or any of the post games... besides the Gen 1 games. The Master trainers are a fun concept, though it is just raising a pokemon to a high level and beating said Master Trainer’s pokemon up with yours. Mewtwo WILL wipe the floor with you if you go after him right away and I been spoiled by who you meet after catching him. Green is a crazy woman.

All in all, if your looking for a pokemon game to hold you over until Gen 8, stick with USUM.

But if you want to have a good time with Kanto and an excuse to get a Switch, do pick it up.

While it is a good thing that Masuda is stepping down from producing another game and the flaws from this game CAN be pointed at him. There are some very good things about this game that I want to see go over into the Gen 8 games. (Making your starter the main star along side you, making legendary captures feel legendary instead of just chucking a master ball and being done with it. Etc!)

I honestly wouldn’t mind if they make another Let’s Go game, so long as they do the following steps.

Give Pokemon their abilities and held items back. Have your rival actual be a jerk. (DO NOT REPLACE SILVER!) and add a more in depth post game. (The next one is going to be Johto and I am referring to going beyond just slapping Kanto into it.)

Grey Wind

That being said, I still did have one issue with the EXP Share. It made it very hard to keep my team's levels balanced. Normally, with no EXP Share, if one Pokémon gets over-leveled by accident, you just don't use it for a couple of battles, and everything is alright. But with the EXP Share, even if you don't use it, it still gains experience, so it take a lot longer for the rest of the team to catch up. Because of this, I almost never got to use my Pikachu, which got over-leveled early, like most starters, and my Charizard, which was transferred from Go, so it got boosted experience. Meanwhile, it felt like I always had to use my Gyarados, as it always had the lowest level on my team. The EXP Share made things a bit of a chore in that regard.
I thought this too. It was especially difficult leveling up new members, because once they hit a certain stage they would perpetually be stuck a couple of levels behind everything else. The fact that trainer battles gave so little exp didn't help either.

Kein

AKA Silktree
You can always box your higher leveled Pokemon if you want to create a balance. But yeah, the Exp. Share should have been optional.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
You can always box your higher leveled Pokemon if you want to create a balance. But yeah, the Exp. Share should have been optional.

I tried doing that in the later portion of the game with my Charizard that gained boosted experience, but it hardly helped. I'd put it away for chunk of time, only to have to put it back away an hour later. If anything, it made me feel like I could use Charizard even less, as I din't even have the option. And then there was still the issue with having to use my Gyarados way more than everything else on my team. The only way to solve that problem would be to make it the only Pokémon on my team for a while, and that's just too extreme.

And really, you should not have to take Pokémon off your team to keep balance, so it's still poor design.

I really want to know why a high ranking Nintendo employee directly stated that we could turn off the EXP. Share on a Pokémon by Pokémon basis on a major live stream. How could he be so horribly misinformed?

Kein

AKA Silktree
I really want to know why a high ranking Nintendo employee directly stated that we could turn off the EXP. Share on a Pokémon by Pokémon basis on a major live stream. How could he be so horribly misinformed?
Because it is not a big deal to most people and he was making an educated guess based on past games.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
I just want to know why a few trainer classes share the same animation when defeated. It’s mainly the Lass, Beauty, and Female TR Grunt but all those three just do the same hand gesture followed by putting their hands on their hips. It’s a nitpick I know but couldn’t they have done something a bit different for each of them lol