• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Thoughts on the Upcoming Pokemon Switch Game?

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
I don't see how Let's Go is a failure when they made it into the top 10. On the contrary, we may be getting more games like these in the future seeing how successful they are.

Satoshi & Touko

Peanuts aren't just a nut.
I don't see how Let's Go is a failure when they made it into the top 10. On the contrary, we may be getting more games like these in the future seeing how successful they are.
I don’t technically have a problem with that. The only reasons I didn’t get LGPE is because of Kanto and insultingly horrendous trainer customization.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
DxjX-IaVYAAOxb0.jpg:large

Hopefully this data will convince them not to make another set of Let's Go games

I honestly want to know how you think that this is a bad thing for the games. I'm not trying to bash you or anything, I just cannot think of a way in which being in the top ten is a bad thing.

captainfez3

The Chill Trainer
Of course, I fully understand that (even if I don't really agree with the philosophy), I was speaking with Gen VIII in mind.

Technically, one joy-con could have worked, as the R/L and ZR/ZL buttons sit there unused, but yeah, the Pokéball Plus sill wouldn't have that ability unless they gave it more buttons.

I bought the Pokeball Plus bundle and I didn't use the peripheral until I got to the Elite Four, because I heard it was janky for motion controls and I really wanted it more for just nostalgia. When I first used it though... I just thought of how haggard 7 year old me would look after binge playing, because it was very engrossing to act out throwing the Pokeball, and yeah it can be a little janky, but when you figure it out, I found it works. The gyroscope still wins every time, but you can't beat the feeling you get using the Plus. If you had any childhood connection to the series, it will take you back to the first time you saw Ash slinging a Pokeball.

That said, I do wish they had made the Pokeball more amenable to use as a primary controller, because the limitation of buttons will give you menu fatigue so quickly. It's not a deal breaker, I think, but I do not know why they did not add more buttons.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I bought the Pokeball Plus bundle and I didn't use the peripheral until I got to the Elite Four, because I heard it was janky for motion controls and I really wanted it more for just nostalgia. When I first used it though... I just thought of how haggard 7 year old me would look after binge playing, because it was very engrossing to act out throwing the Pokeball, and yeah it can be a little janky, but when you figure it out, I found it works. The gyroscope still wins every time, but you can't beat the feeling you get using the Plus. If you had any childhood connection to the series, it will take you back to the first time you saw Ash slinging a Pokeball.

That said, I do wish they had made the Pokeball more amenable to use as a primary controller, because the limitation of buttons will give you menu fatigue so quickly. It's not a deal breaker, I think, but I do not know why they did not add more buttons.

I got the Pokéball Plus too (mostly because it came with the Switch bundle), and used it the entire game. I found it enjoyable enough.I had a bit of an issue with it at the very beginning, and my hand got sore because I wasn't sure how to hold it properly, but I quickly got used to it.

But yes, more buttons would have been nice.

Syther

Y not?
the game sold well, yes. But what is the general reception to it?
I look at Metacritic and the reception seems luke warm at best.

as for the upcoming Pokemon 2019, I expect this game to blow Let's go out of the water by showing Gamefreak that this is the type of game people will really buy.

BCVM22

the game sold well, yes.

I expect this game to blow Let's go out of the water by showing Gamefreak that this is the type of game people will really buy.

The game sold well but Game Freak's takeaway will be "this is the kind of game people won't buy"?

They fill different niches and can (and will) coexist peacefully. They're both games that people will "really buy." We don't need to do this constant shifting of goalposts and discounting of positive sales numbers/reception because someone didn't like LGP/E.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
as for the upcoming Pokemon 2019, I expect this game to blow Let's go out of the water by showing Gamefreak that this is the type of game people will really buy.

I'm sure Game Freak expects the same thing. They clearly know that remakes never sell nearly as well as a new generation titles, and they were very clear during pre-release that Let's Go was made for a more specific audience. It was made because it was relatively cheap and easy to make, and we wouldn't have gotten any other Pokémon game in 2018 if they hadn't. They know exactly what "type of game people will really buy" is, and that's why they assured us from the very beginning that we would be getting a traditional Gen VIII game.

Syther

Y not?
co-exist maybe. Peacefully, Doubt it. Let's go is the most divisive pair of games since gen 5 part 1, And I like Gen 5.

The Sales numbers are positive, but where has the Positive Reception been? Bare in mind, I haven't been on the forums much since Let's go was announced and Game FAQs was where I saw the general reception.

Unlike other "haters" I have a full list of complaints that I have shown the Discord Server. Some of the issues were only added after playing the game (Bought used). https://pastebin.com/Ei3NxxgD
Also unlike other "haters" Let's go has failed to convince me it's good. Sure there were parts that I thought were enjoyable, but then soon after I'd hit a part that made me rage. Like that first time encountering Snorlax. I wound up running out of time because it used rest multiple times!

Plus, my goal posts are not the same as theirs. Pokemon let's go actualy did hit one of my failure points where both games failed to stay in the top 20 best sellers on the e-shop by January 3rd

BCVM22

co-exist maybe. Peacefully, Doubt it.

Entirely. Any notion the two can't co-exist peacefully is ridiculous, in as many words.

Bare in mind, I haven't been on the forums much since Let's go was announced and Game FAQs was where I saw the general reception.

And I've found the source of your problem. GameFAQs is where the very dumbest people on the Internet go to be dumb together and I would not use it as the barometer for a damn stick of gum.

Here? I'd say the reaction was appropriate, to whatever extent that matters. A lot of people enjoyed it, flaws and all, some people didn't, and a select few were so outraged that these games dared to exist in the first place that they were never going to give them a fair shake to begin with.

I have a full list of complaints that I have shown the Discord Server.

I'm sure they read it thoroughly and were very impressed at how you differentiated yourself from other people who disliked the game.

Also unlike other "haters" Let's go has failed to convince me it's good.

Which is entirely your right, but... is the game's success, in the present and going forward, contingent entirely upon what it was able to convince you of?

Pokemon let's go actualy did hit one of my failure points where both games failed to stay in the top 20 best sellers on the e-shop by January 3rd

It would be difficult to concoct a more arbitrary metric than this. Which, again, is fine within the context of you, but you might as well have said "the games failed to stay in the top 20 physical best sellers within the Pacific Northwest in months with an average high temperature of -1 degree Celsius" and claimed that has some effect on how these games sold and were perceived.

Ducolamia

SAYYYY WHAT???
co-exist maybe. Peacefully, Doubt it. Let's go is the most divisive pair of games since gen 5 part 1, And I like Gen 5.

The Sales numbers are positive, but where has the Positive Reception been? Bare in mind, I haven't been on the forums much since Let's go was announced and Game FAQs was where I saw the general reception.

Unlike other "haters" I have a full list of complaints that I have shown the Discord Server. Some of the issues were only added after playing the game (Bought used). https://pastebin.com/Ei3NxxgD
Also unlike other "haters" Let's go has failed to convince me it's good. Sure there were parts that I thought were enjoyable, but then soon after I'd hit a part that made me rage. Like that first time encountering Snorlax. I wound up running out of time because it used rest multiple times!

Plus, my goal posts are not the same as theirs. Pokemon let's go actualy did hit one of my failure points where both games failed to stay in the top 20 best sellers on the e-shop by January 3rd

They are pretty divisive I would argue but is that really a bad thing? One group of people get a more relaxing game to play while others can continue doing whatever they want in the main ones. In my opinion as a business decision (because that's what this is about) it's the best way to go. For as much as people complain companies do not care about the reception of a game unless it directly affects sales or involved a bigger fundamental issue. So the reason why people are asking about the sales is because those will be the determining factors about if more of them will be made.

The games are doing well outside of Japan but within the country they aren't doing as well, but that can be attributed to other factors in Japan seeing as surprisingly (or not depending on how you look at it) they aren't super big into Pokemon as much anymore. Don't get me wrong it's still big, but clearly not as big as it used to be long ago. Some food for thought.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...spite_strong_worldwide_performance_of_lets_go

Honestly, the game reception is okay. People were review-bombing the game (like that helps lol) but eventually it evened out to an average 79% on Metacritic and 8/10 on other places such as IGN. As for YT reviews, it's been fairly mixed as well. It really does seem to strike some sort of middle ground (at least in my eyes) .

As for the "haters" I highly suggest you let go of the idea of a "hater" to begin with. It's such an ill-defined term and can be so broad it's practically useless. What are these "haters"? People who don't like the game? People who just didn't care for it? People who blindly defend the games? Please elaborate.

I'm also curious to ask but why does being a best-seller on the e-shop matter? I'm curious. There are games that I've played that are underrated as ever but don't even get a lick of recognition on any best-seller list. There are games I've played the best seller list I found to be a bit overrated so I'm just asking this earnestly.

Prof. SALTY

The Scruffy Professor

They're literally gonna be running along side eachother going forward. I see no problems that could come from this.

They've been scoring highly pretty consistently so not really sure what you're talking about here...? Like 8s, 80s, 4/stars. Its consistently in the "good" category of reviews by all major publications.

I'm just gonna say it dude, your complaints are garbage. You listed mechanics and features... that's not a complaint, that's just listing facts. They been known for half a damn year. Out of all of those complaints only 2 or 3 of them were real.

They're still listed in the top ten system sellers for physical copies though...? Who the hell is buying them digitally???

captainfez3

The Chill Trainer
the game sold well, yes. But what is the general reception to it?
I look at Metacritic and the reception seems luke warm at best.

When has critical reception of Pokemon ever not been lukewarm? Pokemon is like comfort food. You do not eat it for novelty or your health, you eat it because you love it and you enjoy it. I mean the series has been so formulaic, I cannot remember a GameInformer review where a Pokemon game received above an 8.5 (or they were all in that range, I am too lazy to actually check).

I expect Gen 8 to blow Let's Go out of the water but not because I think Let's Go is bad, but rather I just have high expectations for what they are going to bring forward with this next game. There is nothing about Let's Go that makes it inferior to any other Pokemon game and it was never advertised as anything than what it is. What more do you want exactly? lol

Orphalesion

Oh man, I dislike these games as much as is possible while still being within healthy parameters, but even I can admit that they sold very well and that a seperate Let's Go series would be a very sound idea with positive outcomes for pretty much everyone (or at the very least a lack of negative outcomes). Though it will be interesting to see what Pokemon you will travel with going forward. With Johto I can imagine Togepi and Marill, but by the time we reach Sinnoh? Let's Go Riolu and Let's Go Munchlax?
Or will the PC travel with Eevee or Pikachu regardless of region?

and a select few were so outraged that these games dared to exist in the first place that they were never going to give them a fair shake to begin with.

Imagine your favourite author writes a book about a subject you actively dislike using some old characters of heirs you don't have any interest anymore, why even bother with that, especially since said author promised a completely new book that will likely be more to your tastes the new year. Why even bother with it then?

BCVM22

There's a vast chasm between "why bother with it?" and the people who were so outraged, so incensed that these games dared to exist that they would have gone out and ordered every copy destroyed had they the means.

Whether I'm talking about you or not is entirely up to you.

captainfez3

The Chill Trainer
Oh man, I dislike these games as much as is possible while still being within healthy parameters, but even I can admit that they sold very well and that a seperate Let's Go series would be a very sound idea with positive outcomes for pretty much everyone (or at the very least a lack of negative outcomes). Though it will be interesting to see what Pokemon you will travel with going forward. With Johto I can imagine Togepi and Marill, but by the time we reach Sinnoh? Let's Go Riolu and Let's Go Munchlax?

I'm announcing myself as Team Munchlax right now, lol.

Imagine your favourite author writes a book about a subject you actively dislike using some old characters of heirs you don't have any interest anymore, why even bother with that, especially since said author promised a completely new book that will likely be more to your tastes the new year. Why even bother with it then?

What if you are talking about your favorite author who revisits a beloved story and applies the mastery and insights gained over his 20 year career to re-tell a beloved story, but with fresh perspective? I think the small narrative glosses in Let's Go do not get enough credit; I thought the little changes and additions were excellent. Despite what people say, this is not Yellow 2.0. The story beats are obviously identical, but the universe is not.

That said, I totally agree that remakes and rehashes are getting beyond old at this point, and Nintendo's overall penchant for this behavior is wearing thin. I also know nothing about game development, and so cannot intelligently comment on whether this is caused by laziness, greed, preying on the fan base, or something much more benign ha ha. It seems especially egregious for Pokemon, which already carries so much of itself forward with each iteration, that retreading old ground almost feels like an insult.

In reflecting on it, I think I liked Let's Go so much specifically because it took me back to the original designs (which I have and continue to value over new Pokemon) and it was a "console" Pokemon. Something I had dreamed about them doing for so long, so I think I just feel this momentum and I am excited to see what they do next.

Orphalesion

What if you are talking about your favorite author who revisits a beloved story and applies the mastery and insights gained over his 20 year career to re-tell a beloved story, but with fresh perspective?
A 20 year old story I have no interest in any longer, features characters I no longer care for and cuts out/ignores all the characters I have since then come to love and be interested in. In addition it includes new things I'm not really on board with or interested in and it doesn't give me the continuation I am waiting for... Again why bother? (Not saying you can't or shouldn't like it. Just that there's not a single thing in LGPE that would appeal to me.)

What they pretty much did, form my perspective, is like when a comic book focusing on a Super Hero team tries to be "classic" by ditching all characters except the founding members. Great for people who like them, not that great for fans of characters that came later.
(I know they didn't erase the newer Pokemon, and we will see them again in Gen 8 and other games, just trying to express why a 151 Kanto mon game is the exact opposite of what I want)

In reflecting on it, I think I liked Let's Go so much specifically because it took me back to the original designs (which I have and continue to value over new Pokemon)

And I'm the opposite here, New Pokemon over old ones (especially the first 151...) any day.

Aetius

If they intend to continue, which is likely, I can imagine using them the Pika clones of each generation plus a cute Pokèmon, which is meaningful for that generation.
l don't know, maybe something like this?

Let's Go, Marill! and Let's Go, Togepi! (as you said)
Let's Go, Plusle/Minun and Let's Go, Skitty! (?)
Let's Go, Pachirisu and Let's Go, Buneary!
Let's Go, Emolga! and Let's Go, Minccino!
Let's Go, Dedenne! and Let's Go, Bunnelby!
Let's Go, Togedemaru and Let's Go, Stufful