• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Thoughts on the Upcoming Pokemon Switch Game?

NeoDude-5000

To those who are sceptical about the names, and hence thinking they might not be core games, remember, the Pokémon Yellow as we know in the English, was actually called 'Pocket Monsters Pikachu' in Japan. So 'Let's Go Pikachu' doesn't sound very odd for a core game name in Japanese. I'm sure these games will have a different name for the English names.
Yeah but we still had 'LeafGreen' and not 'WaterBlue' version. So I think it might remain the same

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
Last edited:

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
I'd also hope GO isn't integrated at all. I don't want to be forced to buy another phone just for GO in addition to the game and to a Switch.

2dtyplosion

Kanto was about the last place I wanted to go to but pokemon following and potentially being able to have Umbreon as a starter has me on board for these games.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Hopefully the Sevii Islands are brought back because I miss these islands so much after not being in any Pokémon game since Gen 4. It would definitely be nice to go back there again.

It's because the leaks seem to be pointing towards the game being set in Kanto and the Sevii Islands first appeared in FRLG.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
I'd also hope GO isn't integrated at all. I don't want to be forced to buy another phone just for GO in addition to the game and to a Switch.
I agree, I got sick of GO so fast and do NOT want to have to walk around with the switch. Honestly the only integration that they should have from GO is the weather patterns and people appearing in certain areas more than others, but if you're traveling a region in-game, then it shouldn't matter about what is around you in real life. SO I am not digging the GO-ness people keep talking about.

I would LOVE to travel back to kanto, I wonder where we would start, I wonder where we would end, I wonder if it'd be Team Rocket still or something new, I wonder if there would be new legendaries or if they would be put other places on the map. They could do so much to kanto, whereas a lot of people here seem to think it'll be the same kanto as rby when we know for a fact that the movie changed the **** out of kanto, so I'm totally okay with this since they just need to call it kanto, have some similar town and city names, and there you go, rebooted kanto.

I am still not surehow I feel about the pikachu/eevee starter thingy. I would HATE to not be able to evolve either like in Yellow version, but I can't see them letting a eeveelution or a raichu sit on your head in the game... unless they let it follow you? Idk, they just better do this right, I want to WANT a switch so I am excited for them to release a trailer and info and what not, obvs like y'all lol. But at least Eevee gives even more choices to starters typing.

mtqc

MY BEANS!

I don't think that's what they'd go for (at least I hope not). I think it just means that there'll be a similar (perhaps optional) catching mechanic and the ability to transfer your GO mons to the game. I thought I saw a post earlier in this thread saying that this was hinted at as early as two years ago, but I could be wrong.

Anyway, doom-and-gloom about the integration that we have absolutely no knowledge of isn't going to help anything. Why are people panicking? Again, I highly doubt they'd make people get a new phone just to play a Switch game. That'd be a terrible business move.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Why are people panicking? Again, I highly doubt they'd make people get a new phone just to play a Switch game. That'd be a terrible business move.
Yeah I don't see GO integration being a necessary feature of the game at all. I guess people need to have a second thought over things before saying what they have to speak out about the new Switch game and see that GO integration may not be needed to complete the game and that GO capture controls may be optional.

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
If anything, connecting your Go account will be an extra perk, not something required. I’m more interested in the rumored Device that connects to both. I’d love some updated form of pokewalker, but hate the idea of another Go Plus. That was a waste of money

mtqc

MY BEANS!
If anything, connecting your Go account will be an extra perk, not something required. I’m more interested in the rumored Device that connects to both. I’d love some updated form of pokewalker, but hate the idea of another Go Plus. That was a waste of money

I loved the Pokewalker... I just took mine out again yesterday, it was great to use it again. Hopefully the device will be cool and have extra features instead of it just being a glorified Pokemon Bank connector.

Yeah I don't see GO integration being a necessary feature of the game at all. I guess people need to have a second thought over things before saying what they have to speak out about the new Switch game and see that GO integration may not be needed to complete the game and that GO capture controls may be optional.

I think people are just going to nightmare scenarios immediately so they don't get their hopes up. I get it.

I'd say my only huge fears would be that 1) Pikachu and Eevee will not be able to evolve (because "it was in the original" or something ridiculous like that) and 2) no character customization (a la ORAS). Though, really, I think only the second one is viable, since Eevee's entire gimmick is evolution, and they wouldn't make it so that the evolution Pokemon can't evolve... right? ; w ;

XanderCage

Loose Cannon Cop
Why are people panicking? Again, I highly doubt they'd make people get a new phone just to play a Switch game. That'd be a terrible business move.

I don't understand the panic either. There's no way anyone will be forced to use the app in order to complete the new games. You're not going to have to walk around with your Switch IRL to catch Pokemon. The features most likely that will be included are an optional catching mechanic with the joycons/touchscreen in handheld (I can't see motion controls being mandatory seeing as you can turn them off in the 3DS games), and linking accounts so that you can transfer Pokemon from Go into the console games. Go can already be linked to a Nintendo Account so I don't see any issue where this will become a problem.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I'd say my only huge fears would be that 1) Pikachu and Eevee will not be able to evolve (because "it was in the original" or something ridiculous like that) and 2) no character customization (a la ORAS). Though, really, I think only the second one is viable, since Eevee's entire gimmick is evolution, and they wouldn't make it so that the evolution Pokemon can't evolve... right? ; w ;
I get that there may be no Trainer Customization in the new Switch game because it wasn't in ORAS due to it being a Ruby and Sapphire remake. However, I'd definitely like to have the starter Pikachu and Eevee having the ability to evolve in the games so that we won't get stuck with an unevolved Pokémon like the starter Pikachu in Yellow and at least let the player have the choice to evolve Pikachu or Eevee into one of its evolutions.

XanderCage

Loose Cannon Cop
Since this is the first games named after actual Pokemon since Yellow (Pikachu version in Japan) do you think the starters will be locked to each version (at least until the post game)?

pokemaster442

いくZ!
I've been searching around different trademark sites and there is nothing that shows these titles at all. The closest I could find was the official trademark site in Japan.
I'll post it here for reference.

There is a new trademark so it could be these games but it should be taken with some salt as it is still waiting for examination.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Since this is the first games named after actual Pokemon since Yellow (Pikachu version in Japan) do you think the starters will be locked to each version (at least until the post game)?
Maybe so. In X and Y, the player could trade any Pokémon with Shauna for another Kalos starter after beating the game, the one that is weak to the starter the player chose. So therefore the other starter is likely accessible after beating the game so at least something special is felt by not getting the other starter until the postgame of the Switch game.

XanderCage

Loose Cannon Cop
Maybe so. In X and Y, the player could trade any Pokémon with Shauna for another Kalos starter after beating the game, the one that is weak to the starter the player chose. So therefore the other starter is likely accessible after beating the game so at least something special is felt by not getting the other starter until the postgame of the Switch game.

Yeah I think that's likely. I wonder how that would alter sales since we've never had competing versions where you were locked into get the "Box Starter." We're only used to "Box Legendarys" and the outlier of Yellow.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Yeah I think that's likely. I wonder how that would alter sales since we've never had competing versions where you were locked into get the "Box Starter." We're only used to "Box Legendarys" and the outlier of Yellow.
I think that the new games are somehow catering to the younger generations for now to attract more kids to the Pokémon franchise to increase the younger demographic of the franchise by having 'box starters' instead of 'box Legendaries' while keeping the original demographic by having the game being set in Kanto.

XanderCage

Loose Cannon Cop
I think that the new games are somehow catering to the younger generations for now to attract more kids to the Pokémon franchise to increase the younger demographic of the franchise by having 'box starters' instead of 'box Legendaries' while keeping the original demographic by having the game being set in Kanto.

Yeah that seems smart. I like the marketing plan for these games if everything turns out to be true. If the names end up being true, although we'd be back at Kanto the difference in naming makes me think it will be a different adventure in a similar locale.