• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Thoughts on the Upcoming Pokemon Switch Game?

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
I think that the new games are somehow catering to the younger generations for now to attract more kids to the Pokémon franchise to increase the younger demographic of the franchise by having 'box starters' instead of 'box Legendaries' while keeping the original demographic by having the game being set in Kanto.

Gen 1 really didn't have box Legendaries to begin with. None of the Gen 1 Legendaries are involved in the story.

Orphalesion

Blergh so, it's probably real. Well, I figured it sounded crap enough to be real, just like Alolan Grimer/Muk. Well not gonna get a game set in Kanto and centered around old Pokemon, especially not the 151 first ones. Like literally the only Pokemon from that batch i still really like are Vulpix/Ninetales (and by now I like Alolan Ninetales better), Vaporeon and Jigglypuff/Wigglytuff if the later-gen evolution are allowed then Kingdra joins that list. 4 Pokemon. So....nope.

Despite my disdain towards this, I don’t think Pokémon GO will play a huge part in it either. It will probably be simply transferring your Pokémon over and nothing more. And unless they lock it all to Gen I Pokemon.

On top of this, I do wonder how they will use the Joy-Cons.
^I agree with both the disdain and the Pokemon Go part. Any Pokemon GO integrating will just be bonus content (there's still a few potential very bad situations there, but hopefully nothing very problematic) even from a business standpoint it would be bad to completely integrate GO and the main games, since 1) they naturally want to get people to play both (so they need to be separated) and 2) The two games share a part of their fanbase, but each also have a separate part that's not interested in the other game.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Gen 1 really didn't have box Legendaries to begin with. None of the Gen 1 Legendaries are involved in the story.
Well to be specific I meant starters that are not fully evolved like Pikachu on the Yellow cover not fully evolved starters like Charizard on the cover of Pokémon Red. I think that could have been done so that by using less evolved and cuter Pokémon on the cover, it can attract more kids because they seem to be more docile than box Legendary Pokémon.

Storm the Lycanroc

Oshawott Squad
If these games are real then I have several concerns:
  • If the regions an exact copy of Kanto from R/B/Y without any major changes. No new locations or things to do.
  • If the Pokedex is limited to the original 151 then they're isolating a large part of the Pokemon people can use.
Fact is I'm tired of Kanto and Generation 1 pandering. Only way I'd buy these games is if they're significantly different from the originals. Additionally if it's a sequel set years later than maybe I'll get it.

CMButch

Kanto is love. Kanto is life.
I think this Pikachu/Eevee stuff will be for spin off game. Maybe PokePark or Mystery Dungeon connected to Go that'd be coming late 2018 or early 2019. Gen 8 is still coming next year( doubt it will be 2020) and it will be new region with new Pokemon with new everything.

Satoshi & Touko

Peanuts aren't just a nut.
I think this Pikachu/Eevee stuff will be for spin off game. Maybe PokePark or Mystery Dungeon that'd be coming late 2018 or early 2019. Gen 8 is still coming next year( doubt it will be 2020) and it will be new region with new Pokemon with new everything.
I really hope so. Just **** these games if they are mainline games set in Kanto.

mtqc

MY BEANS!
Umm, where?

E3 last year, I think, stated that the announced Switch games would be core RPG games. AKA, they wouldn't be solely spinoffs. Of course, that doesn't rule out the fact that these could be spinoffs before the mainline RPG games come out.

Either way, I'm eager and just praying for following Pokemon to be back. I need more information before I can be truly excited or disappointed.

CMButch

E3 last year, I think, stated that the announced Switch games would be core RPG games. AKA, they wouldn't be solely spinoffs. Of course, that doesn't rule out the fact that these could be spinoffs before the mainline RPG games come out.

Either way, I'm eager and just praying for following Pokemon to be back. I need more information before I can be truly excited or disappointed.
Oh, I know that I thought Vin is talking how these let's go Pikachu and Eevee are confirmed to be core games. I was like where xd. Hopefully, these let's go are not titles nor main games, nor I want Kanto be Gen 8 setting without any new Pokemon.Also, I don't like that 100 years later theory( which wouldn't make sense for anime).

mtqc

MY BEANS!
Oh, I know that I thought Vin is talking how these let's go Pikachu and Eevee are confirmed to be core games. I was like where xd. Hopefully, these let's go are not titles nor main games, nor I want Kanto be Gen 8 setting without any new Pokemon.Also, I don't like that 100 years later theory( which wouldn't make sense for anime).

Ohh, yeah, I haven't heard that yet, so it could still be a spinoff. I dunno for sure though...

I'm okay with Kanto so long as changes have been made and it isn't just Red Version 3 or something. I'm sure they'll make enough changes to make it interesting, otherwise I doubt people would buy it.

XanderCage

Loose Cannon Cop

I don't believe the 100 years later seeing as its also been stated the possibility of Red and Blue appearing (although they could "appear" as legendary trainers in myths etc.).

If they can expand on Kanto and give it more cities and different locale with different gym locations/gym types/leaders and space out the areas between then this could easily be a brand new gen. Add some new pokemon (Kantonian forms of gen 3 onwards pokemon?)

I mean Zelda does this with Hyrule in every game. Yes the setting is largely different but the moment when you see Hyrule Castle it brings everything together.

Maybe have the trainers start at a different home town and maybe your first experience of the "old" Kanto is something like Saffron/Fuchsia/Cinnebar

Everlasting

Everything stays.
I'm keeping an open mind and I kinda feel good about this upcoming game. Kanto is my least favorite region only because the games have yet to amaze me in some way. I've actually been wanting a "remake" for the first generation more than one for the fourth because I think DPPt shine perfectly on their own as opposed to the bland games Kanto has been restricted to (not counting HGSS here).
I don't see the Go integration being a big deal; some connectivity with added benefits here, the possibility to swipe to chuck a Pokéball there, etc. It would be too bold of a move to have the first Pokémon Switch title be a rehash of Go altogether, so while they want to connect Go and the main series, my guess is that for a first game it will still remain subtle enough.
I'm extremely against Kanto pandering (do not like the idea of Alola forms being exclusive to them, for instance) but I am not against an honest new idea that will maybe bring forth the region's charm. High definition graphics, a new storyline, new characters, new mechanics and new Pokédex will certainly make this game a positive representation of Kanto for those who, like me, have not been smitten by the region yet.

Peeko

Glacier Trainer
While the heavy link to Pokemon Go makes me nervous, I've been waiting for a Red/Blue sequel for years. If it is a sequel (20+) years later, with a reimagined Kanto, inclusion of new Pokemon etc I'd be very excited, especially considering the Johto link (in this scenario they couldn't pretending Johto doesn't exist).

But if it's a direct remake of the gen 1 games, plus pokemon Go link on top of a terrible name then I'm less interested.

CMButch

Something occurred to me; if those are main Gen 8 games, Pikachu and Eevee are not legendaries so they would be starters, who would be third one? So third game? Won't DP be right after Gen 8 game? Also, if we go by that that means - NO NEW STARTERS SINCE STARTERS WOULD BE PIKACHU EEVEE AND ANOTHER GEN 1 POKEMON. That is also why I think this will be spin off plus Let's Go as actual title sounds pretty stupid. I'd rather they stick with these real-world material references( like minerals, cosmic things, colors etc). So hoping/praying it's a side game/spin off set in Kanto.

XanderCage

Loose Cannon Cop
Something occurred to me; if those are main Gen 8 games, Pikachu and Eevee are not legendaries so they would be starters, who would be third one? So third game? Won't DP be right after Gen 8 game? Also, if we go by that that means - NO NEW STARTERS SINCE STARTERS WOULD BE PIKACHU EEVEE AND ANOTHER GEN 1 POKEMON. That is also why I think this will be spin off plus Let's Go as actual title sounds pretty stupid. I'd rather they stick with these real-world material references( like minerals, cosmic things, colors etc). So hoping/praying it's a side game/spin off set in Kanto.

No third starter. This would probably be a reimagine of Yellow where there were only 2 starters (although you couldn't choose the other) Pikachu and Eevee. So just because there isn't a third starter doesn't mean this is a side game/spin off.

CMButch

No third starter. This would probably be a reimagine of Yellow where there were only 2 starters (although you couldn't choose the other) Pikachu and Eevee. So just because there isn't a third starter doesn't mean this is a side game/spin off.
But Yellow doesn't go on same train of main games as Red and Blue/Green. It's less important than R and B/G. Yellow is like a third game and Yellow is made because of an anime. So basically, Yellow is kind of non-canon.So, why would GF re-imagine a game that is made because of anime? Games don't follow anime, it's vice versa.If there's no games,anime wouldn't exist. So re-imagining Yellow is bad idea. Yes it does. In every game there are 3 starters which are grass/fire and water( because of preference between 3 and to even out all things).It makes no sense to be two starters with electric and normal types.

XanderCage

Loose Cannon Cop
But Yellow doesn't go on same train of main games as Red and Blue/Green. It's less important than R and B/G. Yellow is like a third game and Yellow is made because of an anime. So basically, Yellow is kind of non-canon. So re-imagining Yellow is bad idea. Yes it does. In every game there are 3 starters which are grass/fire and water( because of preference between 3 and to even out all things).It makes no sense to be two starters with electric and normal types.

I understand your point with the general convention of starters. But since they already did remakes/reimagines of Red/Blue/Green then maybe this is actually their plan. It would make sense with both Pikachu and Eevee being in the title that this has some sort of link with Yellow. Yellow may not technically be canon to its previous two versions but the Red that exists in Yellow does appear in Gold/Silver (he even appears in the most recent games with a Pikachu). I would say that's pretty canon. He also has an Eeveelution which would go along with Eevee being the second, and only other, starter.

CMButch

I understand your point with the general convention of starters. But since they already did remakes/reimagines of Red/Blue/Green then maybe this is actually their plan. It would make sense with both Pikachu and Eevee being in the title that this has some sort of link with Yellow. Yellow may not technically be canon to its previous two versions but the Red that exists in Yellow does appear in Gold/Silver. I would say that's pretty canon. He also has an Eeveelution which would go along with Eevee being the second, and only other, starter.
Point is that there have always been 3 new starters in new region( so not past gens, 3 new starters which are fire/grass/water. Yeah, it could be spin off/side game linked with Yellow.IIRC there have been spin off games linked/related to main core games.Still, Yellow is made thanks to anime where Eevee is a starter for Gary and Pikachu for Ash.. that's why I don't count that into main core game as any other game..especially on same level as R and B/G.I'd put them like main duo games>third games/sequels>Yellow.

EDIT: I found that Pokemon MD; Red and Blue team are two games and MD; EoT and EoD are also two separate games released at same time. So yeah, still thinking it will be a spin off.

Last edited: