• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Thoughts on the Upcoming Pokemon Switch Game?

Orphalesion

So I still have to hope for proper new games to come out in 2019 so here is what I'm thinking:

"Let's Go Pikachu" being a Kanto remake makes it possible for the thing to still come out this year despite not being announced; if it's a remake there is literally nothing, or very little, new to show us so a shorter pre-release period (say E3 to Holiday season) would make sense. I mean the most new stuff you're gonna get are probably some special moves for Eevee and the overrated yellow thing, some new story episodes/bonus areas and the mentioned Pokemon GO integration. Not that much to build a long, hype-train on, unless they want to walk us through every single city/location (which really, what's the point, we know Kanto)

I don't think this will be a remake. More like a reboot. Kanto 20 or so years later. Where it has evolved. New story, new characters, new features. Especially with all the new Pokémon discovered.
That wouldn't be a "reboot". A reboot would be erasing everything and from the beginning again and act like what came after the very beginning never happened. Which would be absolutely terrible and unneeded for Pokemon.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Think it is more so to the quality of the games in question, some people would rather want a few main series Pokemon games where Game Freak put their heart and soul in making them good as opposed to many "rushed" games just because people want a main series game every year.

Yeah, I'm not convinced that games being rushed is the reason for the lower quality of games we've had lately. I think it's a combination of other factors, the biggest of which being that Game Freak simply wants to make simpler games.

Baggie_Saiyan

My thoughts on this is that I am going to wait for an official announcement/trailer before deciding if these rumors are true. And if by chance if they are, I will be getting the Eevee version. Pikachu has never been a favorite of mine. I also hope that there will be something else other than just the region Kanto and more generation Pokemon than just Generation 1 Pokemon. It doesn't exactly offer a lot of Pokemon that I like to use. I'll end up using the same kind of team I used in FireRed or SoulSilver. Though I would need a Switch first before I can even get the game if it's real.
Speaking of Pikachu is it odd that I think his former fat self was more adorable?

Ever since they made him skinny I have been just off him/her.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I think that the Pokémon Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee rumor shall best be denied, do you think?
Because it isn't confirmed by neither Nintendo nor The Pokémon Company yet, it's best to take it with a grain of salt and wait until further announcements from official outlets, like the announcement of a Pokémon Direct.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I think that the Pokémon Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee rumor shall best be denied, do you think?

That's the assumption I was working under, until this morning, when it was found that the company that reserves Nintendo web domains reserved domains for these titles, just like what was done soon before Sun and Moon was announced. Of course, nothing's been confirmed yet, but this is some pretty good evidence, to the point that we can't just ignore this rumor.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
While it is too early to judge without seeing more, the premise of the game isn't very promising. Last thing this series needs right now is more pandering to 1st gen, mobile, and casuals.

Yeah, I'm not convinced that games being rushed is the reason for the lower quality of games we've had lately. I think it's a combination of other factors, the biggest of which being that Game Freak simply wants to make simpler games.

Problem is that simple doesn't appeal to a console audience. Game Freak's recent approach to the games is pretty much the exact opposite of what a console gamer is expecting, shallow and simplistic games don't really appeal to that kind of environment. Consoles are stronger hardware and are played on a TV where you can sit down and play them for hours on end. That's why you see games like BotW which are large, open world, and packed with content, games like those provide that kind of experience. If Game Freak isn't willing to make a game like that then they're automatically throwing out half of the Switch's audience. That's where the concern with this game being the next main game is coming from. It shows that Game Freak is completely tone deaf as to what people are looking for in a console Pokemon experience, and in the minds of many fans the series seems to be headed in the wrong direction.

Last edited:

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
While it is too early to judge without seeing more, the premise of the game isn't very promising. Last thing this series needs right now is more pandering to 1st gen, mobile, and casuals.
Yeah I don't expect too much from the games considering it is to be similar to Yellow. Maybe it's a business strategy to maximise sales of the new games. I'm expecting something to be made up for it like the possibility of a Battle Frontier.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
As it is still Gen 7, I really wouldn't expect much difference on what USUM already had.
I'd rather keep my expectations low and think that it's just USUM HD, just no longer dual screens.

Grey Wind

That's the assumption I was working under, until this morning, when it was found that the company that reserves Nintendo web domains reserved domains for these titles, just like what was done soon before Sun and Moon was announced. Of course, nothing's been confirmed yet, but this is some pretty good evidence, to the point that we can't just ignore this rumor.
It's also worth noting that Eevee's Chinese name was trademarked recently, which is notable because the only other Pokemon with a Chinese trademark is Pikachu.

Ultra Beast Lover

If it's a spinoff that's great, I just don't want to have to go through all of the regions again. I don't mind if they show us what happened with Red and Blue or why Red took a vow of silence, I don't mind if it's just a spin off to show what Kanto looks like in 3D with an updated story. Heck I'm all for it if they tell more of Looker's story I just don't wanna pretend that nothing ever happened.

Satoshi & Touko

Peanuts aren't just a nut.
If this is real, how much longer do you think it will be until it's officially confirmed? Has anyone asked yet?

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
Sun and Moon were announced a day after... which is already late for these.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Problem is that simple doesn't appeal to a console audience. Game Freak's recent approach to the games is pretty much the exact opposite of what a console gamer is expecting, shallow and simplistic games don't really appeal to that kind of environment. Consoles are stronger hardware and are played on a TV where you can sit down and play them for hours on end. That's why you see games like BotW which are large, open world, and packed with content, games like those provide that kind of experience. If Game Freak isn't willing to make a game like that then they're automatically throwing out half of the Switch's audience. That's where the concern with this game being the next main game is coming from. It shows that Game Freak is completely tone deaf as to what people are looking for in a console Pokemon experience, and in the minds of many fans the series seems to be headed in the wrong direction.

Never said I support the fact that the games are more simple now than they used to be, just pointing out that it's probably something done intentionally on Game Freak's part, rather than them having no other choice because they're rushed.

As it is still Gen 7, I really wouldn't expect much difference on what USUM already had.
I'd rather keep my expectations low and think that it's just USUM HD, just no longer dual screens.

I agree to a degree, but at the same time, it is there first console game. I expect there to be some experimental aspects to set it apart.

If it's a spinoff that's great, I just don't want to have to go through all of the regions again. I don't mind if they show us what happened with Red and Blue or why Red took a vow of silence, I don't mind if it's just a spin off to show what Kanto looks like in 3D with an updated story. Heck I'm all for it if they tell more of Looker's story I just don't wanna pretend that nothing ever happened.

But since when have Pokémon spin-off games ever featured people and places from the main series? If the games really do take place in Kanto and feature Red and Blue, then they are almost certainly main series games.

Poke Trainer J

This confirms my suspicion that Nintendo/Game Freak's too embarrassed or ashamed of their hardcore audience when it comes to the Pokémon video game franchise which explains why they're trying to cater more toward a younger audience. They know that a new region with new starters won't sell on the Nintendo Switch so they're going for what they believe is the most profitable by wiping the slate clean through nostalgia pandering.

Why should this be all that surprising when nostalgia is what Nintendo is practically known for? It's why Nintendo franchises like Splatoon and Pikmin are dead on arrival because apparently nobody in this day and age has the patience to allow the novelty of these franchises to settle in when it's much safer and affordable to go with what's already been established. They're probably tired of Pokémon being too different from other Nintendo franchises with Mario and Zelda.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Here's all the Pokemon not related to any Gen I Pokemon that I hope they add to the Kanto Pokedex:

Murkrow/Honchkrow
Misdreavus/Mismagius
Ralts/Kirlia/Gardevoir/Gallade
Surskit/Masquerain
Baltoy/Claydol
Kecleon
Tropius
Drifloon/Drifblim
Riolu/Lucario
Mantyke/Mantine
Sandile/Krokorok/Krookodile
Zorua/Zoroark
Joltik/Galvantula
Litwick/Lampent/Chandelure
Axew/Fraxure/Haxorus

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
This confirms my suspicion that Nintendo/Game Freak's too embarrassed or ashamed of their hardcore audience when it comes to the Pokémon video game franchise which explains why they're trying to cater more toward a younger audience. They know that a new region with new starters won't sell on the Nintendo Switch so they're going for what they believe is the most profitable by wiping the slate clean through nostalgia pandering.

How does this confirm anything? The first games in a generation (AKA, games with new Pokémon and a new region) are always by far the best sellers, and Game Freak knows this. They also fully know that remakes, while they sell better than third versions, still don't sell as well as the initial games of a generation. So what gives you the impression that a new region wouldn't sell well on the Switch? And how is releasing a Kanto-based game catering to a younger audience? It's the older audience that grew up with Kanto that they're catering to, if anyone.

What's most likely is that they wanted to get onto the Switch this year, but weren't ready for Gen VIII yet, so they compromised and put a remake out this in order to buy themselves time to make the first Gen VIII games that will come out a year or two later. Honestly, I think it's for the best this way.

Why should this be all that surprising when nostalgia is what Nintendo is practically known for? It's why Nintendo franchises like Splatoon and Pikmin are dead on arrival because apparently nobody in this day and age has the patience to allow the novelty of these franchises to settle in when it's much safer and affordable to go with what's already been established. They're probably tired of Pokémon being too different from other Nintendo franchises with Mario and Zelda.

Yes, Nintendo is big on nostalgia, but I'm not sure you make a valid point at all. Splatoon was far from dead on arrival. Even though it came out on Nintendo's least popular console next to the Virtual Boy, it still managed to sell extremely well, become quite well-known, and get a sequel only a couple years later. How is that dead? I'm not even interested in playing Splatoon, but I would never doubt its popularity like that.

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
Let me try again ;-) . It's not the "fire is red duuuuuuuh" version is the "fire red" version. You know how different shades of red (or any other colour) have names? Like you get crimson, Cardinal Red, Venetian Red etc. And Fire Red is one of those shades.

Like imagine you're tailoring a dress and you want it to have a really bold, bright red colour and the guy at the fabric store asks you "So you want red fabric then?" then you can say "Yes, but I want a strong fire red." and he'll know what you need. Fire is the qualifier and Red is the noun (not the other way around, in which case it'd be Red Fire), so there's nothing "odd" about it.
Okay, sure, it's a shade of red. Still a weird thing to name your game imo, partly for reasons stated already. If you disagree, then each to their own. My original point is that 'Let's Go! Pikachu' is really not that weird a name and people fixating on it from what I see seems unwarranted.
It's also worth noting that Eevee's Chinese name was trademarked recently, which is notable because the only other Pokemon with a Chinese trademark is Pikachu.
That is interesting. Have a source? Am interested to see.
Yes, Nintendo is big on nostalgia, but I'm not sure you make a valid point at all. Splatoon was far from dead on arrival. Even though it came out on Nintendo's least popular console next to the Virtual Boy, it still managed to sell extremely well, become quite well-known, and get a sequel only a couple years later. How is that dead? I'm not even interested in playing Splatoon, but I would never doubt its popularity like that.
Adding to this good point, the sequel is nearly at 5 million sales worldwide less than a year since it released on a rather new console. Furthermore, Nintendo released even newer franchises since such as Ever Oasis and ARMS. The argument that 'Nintendo only cares about nostalgia' just does not make sense.