• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Thoughts on the Upcoming Pokemon Switch Game?

Genos

The Indigo Disk

MewsTruck

If it is gen 1 reboot, i feel we should only have whatever pokemon are native to kanto. Im not up to date on the (canon?) Pokemon that are native to kanto besides of course whatever pokemon are there in fire red leaf green. I wouldnt want to see gen 3 4 5 6 7 there if they were not there before. Now if its in the future, then yeah maybe stuff change and pokemon migrated or whatever they choose to say happened. But if its just a remake and they put sentret and starly with pidgey at the beginning then would be to me just mashing as much pokemon in the game as possible which wouldnt seem right to me. On the other hand, for example, houndour can be caught right before celadon in gen 2....

Baggie_Saiyan

This confirms my suspicion that Nintendo/Game Freak's too embarrassed or ashamed of their hardcore audience when it comes to the Pokémon video game franchise which explains why they're trying to cater more toward a younger audience. They know that a new region with new starters won't sell on the Nintendo Switch so they're going for what they believe is the most profitable by wiping the slate clean through nostalgia pandering.

Why should this be all that surprising when nostalgia is what Nintendo is practically known for? It's why Nintendo franchises like Splatoon and Pikmin are dead on arrival because apparently nobody in this day and age has the patience to allow the novelty of these franchises to settle in when it's much safer and affordable to go with what's already been established. They're probably tired of Pokémon being too different from other Nintendo franchises with Mario and Zelda.
You bring up a good point actually. Switch new console that many people still don't have what better way to entice people to buy it then "Kanto". It is probably why Gen 6 XY was so Gen 1 heavy too and we even got the freaking Gen 1 starters too!

I'd rather they do this then make another main Gen 6 type of game with nothing but pandering to the point it basically should have been Kanto but with new Pokémon.

Gen 8 will come no doubt but if this is a way of them getting all of Kanto out their system then I'm all for it. Probably won't get the Switch or game still.

The only generation with hardly any Kanto was 5 but even then a lot of the new Mons were inspired by Kanto Mons.

Orphalesion

If it is gen 1 reboot, i feel we should only have whatever pokemon are native to kanto. Im not up to date on the (canon?) Pokemon that are native to kanto besides of course whatever pokemon are there in fire red leaf green. I wouldnt want to see gen 3 4 5 6 7 there if they were not there before. Now if its in the future, then yeah maybe stuff change and pokemon migrated or whatever they choose to say happened. But if its just a remake and they put sentret and starly with pidgey at the beginning then would be to me just mashing as much pokemon in the game as possible which wouldnt seem right to me. On the other hand, for example, houndour can be caught right before celadon in gen 2....

There were also Sentret and Hoothoot outside of Pallet Town in Gen 2, Slugma living around the Cycling Road, Qwilfish on route 12/13....there's Gen 2 Pokemon all over the place, plus there's evolutions of Kanto mons where it would make no freaking sense to not include them (Umbreon, Espeon, Crobat, Blissey, the baby Pokemon, Sylveon, Hitmontop)

In addition to that not only is 151 Pokemon a ridiculously low number these days, but the type distribution in the original Kanto dex stinks.

DSDark

Breeder
There were also Sentret and Hoothoot outside of Pallet Town in Gen 2, Slugma living around the Cycling Road, Qwilfish on route 12/13....there's Gen 2 Pokemon all over the place, plus there's evolutions of Kanto mons where it would make no freaking sense to not include them (Umbreon, Espeon, Crobat, Blissey, the baby Pokemon, Sylveon, Hitmontop)

In addition to that not only is 151 Pokemon a ridiculously low number these days, but the type distribution in the original Kanto dex stinks.

Hopefully this gives the sevi island a chance to return. If the sevi islands do return they would hopefully expand the battle tower into say the battle frontier.........

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Hopefully this gives the sevi island a chance to return. If the sevi islands do return they would hopefully expand the battle tower into say the battle frontier.........
Also the Sevii Islands may be a good opportunity to encounter and catch later gen Pokémon so that players won't be limited to Gen 1 Pokémon and Pokémon part of evolutionary lines that have Gen 1 Pokémon in it.

Orphalesion

But you only get access to first couple of Sevii Islands after Blaine, so lumping all the non-Kanto Pokemon there doesn't really improve matters during the largest part of the storyline.

Kazuniya

read/watch dungeon meshi
Extremely disappointed by the fact we we're likely getting Kanto remakes over Sinnoh remakes.

tyranitar.armaldo

King of the reptiles

No freaking sense...yet FireRed/LeafGreen found a way to exclude them :/.

Even if by some miracle I get this game, if I find out I can't evolve Eevee into Espeon...I'm going to be pretty pissed off. Even moreso than I already am.

You bring up a good point actually. Switch new console that many people still don't have what better way to entice people to buy it then "Kanto". It is probably why Gen 6 XY was so Gen 1 heavy too and we even got the freaking Gen 1 starters too!

I'd rather they do this then make another main Gen 6 type of game with nothing but pandering to the point it basically should have been Kanto but with new Pokémon.

Gen 8 will come no doubt but if this is a way of them getting all of Kanto out their system then I'm all for it. Probably won't get the Switch or game still.

The only generation with hardly any Kanto was 5 but even then a lot of the new Mons were inspired by Kanto Mons.

This is one hopeful point. It helps them get this poison out of their systems once and for all. Gen6 was ruined by nostalgia. If I wanted gen1 stuff I would go back and play gen1 stuff.

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。
I'm not going to complain if the Kanto games are 'reboot' than 'remake'. Been a long time we didn't play in Kanto as the main region, also would be nice to see Kanto in 20 years to what it was in R/B/Y. Gym Leaders could be replaced (Blaine?), a new Champion, new Elite Four members, but some old-schoolers are still around. It'd be fun, if they can come up with an innovative way to turn a bland region to an interesting venue.

Bus

A Kanto remake, huh? Thats...really underwhelming after thinking this was going to be a whole new gen. Maybe they could at least do what Gold & Silver did and link the two regions. The starters, by the sound of it, are either Pikachu or Eevee; not even the normal starters...so why not just make it so you have to go through the 2 regions before attempting the Elite 4? It feels like it would be too short a game, no matter what you do, if it was just Kanto remade. I know they added the Islands for the Fire Red/Leaf Green remake, but even that didn't extend things too much (they were super small islands).

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
Since there hasn't been a Direct today, it is most likely we are not going to see any Direct for May.

This means if this game is released this year, we are going to hear them in June.

Edit: Though I suspect these are spin-offs, so I don't expect them at all until Autumn.

Emperor Empoleon

Honor of Kalos
I'm not thrilled about the possibility of Pokemon GO influencing the main series in any way. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, though. They've already gone on for the last 5 years or so about the mobile market, and the need to simplify the series for modern audiences. Add to that the incredible reach and success of GO, and...Well...It makes sense.

The leaks also mention an online hub? :/ I guess the PSS really was just lightning in a bottle...Man...

Phillies

Does anyone think that the recently shown prototype Gen1 Pokemon might end up in these games as new Pokemon?

Dreamox

But you only get access to first couple of Sevii Islands after Blaine, so lumping all the non-Kanto Pokemon there doesn't really improve matters during the largest part of the storyline.
How do you know that this is the case for the Switch games?

Kage-Pikachu

Ok guys, I'm going to place myself in a medically induced coma until this game comes out so I don't have to wait! Just gotta wiggle my big toe and 13 hours later I'll be fine.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
I just hope that they use post-Gen 1 Pokemon. The type variety in the Kanto dex is atrocious. Adding all the cross gen evos won't be enough to fix this.

yefluke

Dizzy Trainer
I wish it is sequel ... then they have reasons to add some new Pokemons / Regional Forms to the game.
Sun Moon have only a few pokemon which are bored me very fast.

Wondering if they plan to do the game open world like Zelda BotW. It's would be fun to explore the region like Zelda.
However, i wouldn't have high expectation about this game at all. Remember when they not announce UsUm until mid 2017.
It is just implied that 'there is nothing to show much'.

Hopefully, next year we can get Gan 8.

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
If Piuk's hints/rumors are true, and I haven't seen anything tied to the discussion of Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee that rules them out yet, this won't be a Kanto that we recognize. We won't have the same story, or even the same map.

"Red and Blue will play a role" could just mean they are celebrated legends that people remember and look up to. Maybe Game Freak will continue this multiple dimensions/times theme they've had going since ORAS and Red and Blue will be NPC's, but from the past/another version of Kanto.

Everyone really needs to calm down and wait for more discreet details to come. We don't know whether this is a remake, reboot, continuation, or even a spinoff (although I find that least likely).