• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Thoughts on the Upcoming Pokemon Switch Game?

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
I'm starting to get really pumped over exploring a new upgraded kanto region with a new story and new elements :D

I was buying into the disappointment but I am too overwhelmed with excitement. Kanto is my favorite region for the fact it's simple, original, obvious nostalgia, yet fun and easy to explore. So to see how they update it will be rather exciting.

yefluke

Dizzy Trainer
One more thing, I think Pikachu and Evee are not the starter but it will decide that red(pikachu) or blue(evee) are some sort of rival or league champion.
we probably get new starter.....

Kage-Pikachu

I wouldn't mind starting a game with Eevee as long as the methods of evolution were available by the first gym leader (even if you had to defeat them first). It's not too bad a Pokemon given it's evolutionary potential. Still I keep dreaming that one day we'll get an Eevee like n Pokemon Adventures that can evolve back and forth between forms.

Kage-Pikachu

Nice idea, Kantonian Greninja! Kantonian Lucario! I'd love to see some more variations if they do come back to Kanto.

Kazuniya

read/watch dungeon meshi
I'm holding out hope for Kantonian forms of Pokemon to hold us over between Gens. This way they make tweaks to Gen 3 onwards Pokemon to give it a new twist and then devote more developing time on Gen 8.
This is a lovely idea.

If we really do get Kanto remakes, at least I want two things:

- Kantonian forms.
- Heavily remodeled Kanto.

XanderCage

Loose Cannon Cop
This is a lovely idea.

If we really do get Kanto remakes, at least I want two things:

- Kantonian forms.
- Heavily remodeled Kanto.

If they do it correctly, the games could definitely feel like a new Gen.

If you think about it:

- Heavily remodeled Kanto could mean a region that we only recognize in name so it would be essentially a new region.
- Kantonian forms would give the region new Pokemon a'la a new region
- On a new system with new mechanics and better looking

This could all add up to a wonderful thing if everything hits the target.

Bus

If we're expecting a new Kanto, they could merge it with Johto to make a super region with Mt. Silver being the path you take to cross between regions. Hopefully E3 will give us some kind of info here. I heard they plan on focusing on Smash for Switch, but hopefully they drop us some hints for Pokemon. I mean, they know its one of their biggest sellers. It's a bit worrying that it has taken this long before anything has surfaced.

CMButch

Kanto is love. Kanto is life.
So, any news on this? What do you think we will get official information? Next week? ORAS IIRC got announced in early May in 2014.

rocky505

I wouldn't mind starting a game with Eevee as long as the methods of evolution were available by the first gym leader (even if you had to defeat them first). It's not too bad a Pokemon given it's evolutionary potential. Still I keep dreaming that one day we'll get an Eevee like n Pokemon Adventures that can evolve back and forth between forms.
There's no way they'd let you evolve Eevee that early. Umbreon and Espeon would be available from the start because of how they evolve. Having an evolved Eevee would be broken before the first gym. I say wait until at least 2 badges.

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
So, any news on this? What do you think we will get official information? Next week? ORAS IIRC got announced in early May in 2014.

Next week is possible, but early June/pre-E3 is the likeliest. IF this is a main series game as it is rumored to be, that is.

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。
If we're expecting a new Kanto, they could merge it with Johto to make a super region with Mt. Silver being the path you take to cross between regions. Hopefully E3 will give us some kind of info here. I heard they plan on focusing on Smash for Switch, but hopefully they drop us some hints for Pokemon. I mean, they know its one of their biggest sellers. It's a bit worrying that it has taken this long before anything has surfaced.
Considering Masuda said to not to have high expectations from the initial installments of Switch games, I'd doubt we'll have Kanto tied to Johto. Still, it'd be wildly welcomed to have Kanto expanded in areas as if a new region is made out of it.

Bus

Considering Masuda said to not to have high expectations from the initial installments of Switch games, I'd doubt we'll have Kanto tied to Johto. Still, it'd be wildly welcomed to have Kanto expanded in areas as if a new region is made out of it.

...Alright, but...I mean...the first generation was sooooooo small...is combining it with Gen 2 really that high of an expectation? Wasn't the original Gold/Silver essentially an expansion pack? Everything they couldn't fit into the first game; like the Steel and Dark typings, were put into game 2? I thought that was why they were connected as well. Even the 'evil' team was still Rocket and a continuation of the story.

Man...so disappointed that a remake might be the course they take. If a remake had to come, why couldn't it have been Gen 4? Whyyyyyyyyyyyyy?

Ultra Beast Lover

For me personally even though I still hate this idea it'll still be nice to see the towns not be completely green, blue, red etc., I know in the first Kanto remake that was the case but for someone who didn't play the remakes it's a nice change.

Kage-Pikachu

There's no way they'd let you evolve Eevee that early. Umbreon and Espeon would be available from the start because of how they evolve. Having an evolved Eevee would be broken before the first gym. I say wait until at least 2 badges.
I'd hate having to use a Normal type as my starter for so long. No offense Normals (except you two! You know who are are! *glares at Slaking and Regigigas*)

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
You bring up a good point actually. Switch new console that many people still don't have what better way to entice people to buy it then "Kanto". It is probably why Gen 6 XY was so Gen 1 heavy too and we even got the freaking Gen 1 starters too!

I'm going to say it one more time. Games with a new region and new Pokémon consistently sell better than remakes. How would a Kanto game draw in more people to play if that's the case? More likely is that these games are holdovers to get us on the Switch as fast as possible, while they polish up Gen VIII

Extremely disappointed by the fact we we're likely getting Kanto remakes over Sinnoh remakes.

It's not like we're not going to get Sinnoh remakes eventually. Most of us had already admitted that we probably wouldn't get Sinnoh remakes until Gen VIII, and since these are probably Gen VII games, there's still a chance for Sinnoh remakes in Gen VIII, so nothing has really changed.

I'm not thrilled about the possibility of Pokemon GO influencing the main series in any way. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, though. They've already gone on for the last 5 years or so about the mobile market, and the need to simplify the series for modern audiences. Add to that the incredible reach and success of GO, and...Well...It makes sense.

But what is bad about Go influencing the games? It's a serious question. What features from Go are relatively possible to fit into the main series and make it worse as a result?

Does anyone think that the recently shown prototype Gen1 Pokemon might end up in these games as new Pokemon?

No.

I'm holding out hope for Kantonian forms of Pokemon to hold us over between Gens. This way they make tweaks to Gen 3 onwards Pokemon to give it a new twist and then devote more developing time on Gen 8.

At first, I thought this seemed fairly likely, assuming these games are still considered Gen VII, but then I thought about the fact that Alola Forms are meant to represent the Founder's Effect, which is most prominent on islands, such as Alola. While possible in Kanto, it wouldn't quite fit in with the original concept of Alolan Forms.

PirateKing

I'm gonna love every second of going back to Kanto,
But bring back Sevii Islands though, and my hype is gonna be over the moon!!!

I was really upset when HGSS forgot about them, It added so much to the region that wasnt there already, we got Volcanos, Ice Caves, Ancient Ruins, Canyons, etc.
Imagine if they add in new ones like in game data in FRLG suggested that there could have been over 20+
Like the original islands focused on Johto with music and wild pokemon, maybe we'll get islands with Hoenn, Sinnoh, Unova, Kalos, and Alola themes/mons/references as well.

It could be where Alolan Forms are obtainable, The big postgame story could take place there, They could throw in some Battle Facilities, If they include new islands, it could easily match up to the size of a whole second region when compared to base Kanto's size.

Gah, I'm making myself too excited, I really hope they dont sleep on the potential here.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Hmm...this website domain thing was the type of thing I needed to give this leak any sort of credence. Though, I do find it slightly suspicious that the websites are registered just a day after the leak. Seems like some awfully convenient timing.

Once it was leaked, they did it so that no one else could. Not sure what about its "convenience" makes the timing make you think it could be fake.

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
The domains are registered by a third party, not Nintendo.

Of course, only Nintendo has the right to use these domains because of trademarks, so that's not too important.