• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Thoughts on the Upcoming Pokemon Switch Game?

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Once it was leaked, they did it so that no one else could. Not sure what about its "convenience" makes the timing make you think it could be fake.

For one, the last thing Game Freak would want to do is confirm this rumor before they're officially ready, so them doing a reactionary domain reservation seems at least a little odd.

Beyond that, the reason I originally brought up that point, is because it's easier for someone who wants to fool the internet to go in via the third party that registered the domains, and register it after the fact, especially so soon after.

That 3rd party is the same company that registered domains for Sun and Moon. It either works for Nintendo/TPCI/GF or is a subsidiary of Nintendo.

From what I've read, it's a third that is used by Nintendo, not owned by them, and it is possible, even if unlikely, for someone trying to create fakes, to reserve the domains through them.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
If they're really starting off with Kanto games there's only two ways I'd accept that decision:

1. This is a stopgap game and they're working on a real 8th gen game.
2. This is such a drastic improvement to Kanto that it practically feels like a new generation.

Otherwise, I'm done with this franchise. I've tolerated a lot of BS with this series, more than I probably should've, but I'm sick of waiting for this franchise to get better and seeing it get worse and worse. Game Freak just keeps finding innovative new ways to cheap out and fall far short of expectations, but this would just be the straw that broke the Camerupt's back. I'll probably buy the DP remakes as long as they don't screw those up too much, but beyond that Game Freak isn't getting any more of my money until they can prove they can make a meaty game worthy of a console instead of the RPG equivalent of Candy Crush.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
If they're really starting off with Kanto games there's only two ways I'd accept that decision:

2. This is such a drastic improvement to Kanto that it practically feels like a new generation.

Otherwise, I'm done with this franchise. I've tolerated a lot of BS with this series, more than I probably should've, but I'm sick of waiting for this franchise to get better and seeing it get worse and worse. Game Freak just keeps finding innovative new ways to cheap out and fall far short of expectations. I'll probably buy the DP remakes as long as they don't screw those up too much, but beyond that Game Freak isn't getting any more of my money until they can prove they can make a meaty game worthy of a console instead of the RPG equivalent of Candy Crush.
Well, you're right on this one. It's just so underwhelming that the first home console Pokemon game is gonna be a remake of a 20-year old game with overcasualized gameplay and an annoying mascot companion.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord

How could it be anything different? We know that Game Freak works on multiple titles at once, and we know that we'll eventually get a real Gen VIII game. The only way this game isn't a stopgap is if it's the final game in the franchise, and we all know that that's not true.

Tsukuyomi56

Emblian Royalty
How could it be anything different? We know that Game Freak works on multiple titles at once, and we know that we'll eventually get a real Gen VIII game. The only way this game isn't a stopgap is if it's the final game in the franchise, and we all know that that's not true.
Think it is general feelings some fans feel Game Freak just want to get a main series Switch game out in time for the Christmas holiday period but don't have enough time for Gen 8 in 2018. Kanto remakes would have been a bit easier to accept if they came out after Gen 8 or stayed on the 3DS rather than the games that mark Pokémon's main series debut on the Switch.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Think it is general feelings some fans feel Game Freak just want to get a main series Switch game out in time for the Christmas holiday period but don't have enough time for Gen 8 in 2018.

Isn't that the definition of a stopgap though? They want a game now, but don't have enough time to complete Gen VIII, so they make Kanto games as a stopgap to hold us over?

Kanto remakes would have been a bit easier to accept if they came out after Gen 8 or stayed on the 3DS rather than the games that mark Pokémon's main series debut on the Switch.

I don't really understand that logic, myself. Given the choice between getting Kanto games on the Switch this year, Kanto games this year on the 3DS and no Switch games for another year or two, or nothing at all until Switch games in a year, I would pick Kanto on the Switch this year in a heartbeat. Sure, I would have rather have had Gen VIII come out this year, but if Game Freak's not ready for it, then they're not ready for it, and if they're not ready for it, but still want to put out a game this year, that means remakes. I really don't know why'd you want Kanto remakes on an inferior system instead of the superior one. As far as I'm concerned, the sooner they get on to the Switch, the better.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder

Didn't Game Freak say last year that everyone except a skeleton crew of newbies were working on the Switch game? The expectation was that this game would be Game Freak's full effort. If it's just Kanto that's a pretty pathetic full effort unless it's a massive improvement over the originals.

Orphalesion

I don't really understand that logic, myself. Given the choice between getting Kanto games on the Switch this year, Kanto games this year on the 3DS and no Switch games for another year or two, or nothing at all until Switch games in a year, I would pick Kanto on the Switch this year in a heartbeat. Sure, I would have rather have had Gen VIII come out this year, but if Game Freak's not ready for it, then they're not ready for it, and if they're not ready for it, but still want to put out a game this year, that means remakes. I really don't know why'd you want Kanto remakes on an inferior system instead of the superior one. As far as I'm concerned, the sooner they get on to the Switch, the better.

Well that's your opinion on the matter, and it's valid, but so is the opposite one. Like for me a Kanto remake this year, pretty much equals to "Nothing at all this year".

And to that come worries. Worries that might not be grounded in anything, but that won't be possible to be dispelled until they are disproved. Worries like: What if this isn't a stopgap? What if they really expect us to accept those remakes as *the* Pokemon games for the next several years? What if they wasted good development time on that and are only now starting to work on Gen 8?
We don't get to look into Gamefreak's development schedules and this is a very unique situation, plus there has been this Gen 1 pandering going on for several years now with many people calling for a "reboot" simply for the sake of one. So what if GF decided to listen to that set?
This is their first Switch game, a big one, what if they have decided that Kanto and the first 151 are the "definite" version that should be focused on in the future, at the expense of anything else or any additional new regions and Pokemon?

Those are worries, no matter how unfounded or not, that wouldn't be there if we got Gen 8 on the Switch before Kanto on the Switch, hence the apprehension. Even getting USUM on the Switch and then Kanto would have eased those concerns.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Didn't Game Freak say last year that everyone except a skeleton crew of newbies were working on the Switch game? The expectation was that this game would be Game Freak's full effort. If it's just Kanto that's a pretty pathetic full effort unless it's a massive improvement over the originals.

I don't recall, but don't we know from past experience that Game Freak begins work on the next generation as the wrap up development on the first games from the current generation? In which case, perhaps they've had three teams working. A skeleton team on Ultra Sun/Moon, the main team on Gen VIII, and a secondary team on these games. Even if they did say what you said, they may have meant that mostly everyone was working on one of their two Switch projects, or a unified project to create the basis for a Switch game, which later got split into these games and the first Gen VIII games.

Well that's your opinion on the matter, and it's valid, but so is the opposite one. Like for me a Kanto remake this year, pretty much equals to "Nothing at all this year".

So, I'll admit, a lot my excitement for these games simply comes from the fact that they're on the Switch. I've wanted Pokémon to move to consoles for as long as I've been playing Pokémon, and that's finally happening. I couldn't bear the though of having to wait until 2019 to play Pokémon on the Switch, so I am very happy to take these games, regardless of what they are. Disregarding all that though, isn't something better than nothing? Even if you're not excited to return to Kanto, it's still a new Pokémon game in the end. How is that not a good thing?

And to that come worries. Worries that might not be grounded in anything, but that won't be possible to be dispelled until they are disproved. Worries like: What if this isn't a stopgap? What if they really expect us to accept those remakes as *the* Pokemon games for the next several years? What if they wasted good development time on that and are only now starting to work on Gen 8?
We don't get to look into Gamefreak's development schedules and this is a very unique situation, plus there has been this Gen 1 pandering going on for several years now with many people calling for a "reboot" simply for the sake of one. So what if GF decided to listen to that set?
This is their first Switch game, a big one, what if they have decided that Kanto and the first 151 are the "definite" version that should be focused on in the future, at the expense of anything else or any additional new regions and Pokemon?

Those are worries, no matter how unfounded or not, that wouldn't be there if we got Gen 8 on the Switch before Kanto on the Switch, hence the apprehension. Even getting USUM on the Switch and then Kanto would have eased those concerns.

I think you could come up with similar concerns in regards to most Pokémon releases. I think the only reason people take specific note of them this time is because things are being done a little differently. I would suggest that you just hope for the best, and don't worry about it until your suspicions are proven true.

with many people calling for a "reboot" simply for the sake of one. So what if GF decided to listen to that set?

Sorry, just had to single out this comment. At any given time, there's a lot of things that people are calling for just for the sake of it, and we can rest assured that Game Freak does not tend to listen to this sort of clamor, or else Pokémon would be an entirely different franchise than it is. I wouldn't worry too much about that if I were you.

MewsTruck

Im going to drop my idea off here, seems like a decent place to put it...

So i was thinking the whole held items and berry aspect could be a little different. Sorry for bringing up BotW again, but something like how you can collect materials and food then cook it into something. Maybe like that for berries, being able to have a berry farm or lots of things to collect and maybe mix your own potions or something with special effects. Make our own incense or temp stat boosters or something instead of just buying it. Add more dynamic feel to the game. To me atleast

Orphalesion

Disregarding all that though, isn't something better than nothing?
Even if you're not excited to return to Kanto, it's still a new Pokémon game in the end. How is that not a good thing?
See, I never understood when people say "Isn't something you don't want and have no interest in, something that is, in fact, the exact opposite of what you want better than nothing?"
No, for me personally it's not better than nothing. I prefer nothing to something that I don't like.
Also, just liek with USUM, I don't see the abstract idea of "a new Pokemon game" to be inherently desirable by itself. It needs to have the qualities I like about new Pokemon games for me to want it and see it as a good thing and "Let's Go, Gen1!" is unlikely to have those qualities.

Again I'm not telling you not to be excited for "Lets go Pikachu/Eevee", but please don't ask me to be exited for Gen1 pandering only because it's on a new console.

I think you could come up with similar concerns in regards to most Pokémon releases. I think the only reason people take specific note of them this time is because things are being done a little differently.
That was my point, I said that this can cause some worry in some people, including me, because it's so unusual.

Kage-Pikachu

Im going to drop my idea off here, seems like a decent place to put it...

So i was thinking the whole held items and berry aspect could be a little different. Sorry for bringing up BotW again, but something like how you can collect materials and food then cook it into something. Maybe like that for berries, being able to have a berry farm or lots of things to collect and maybe mix your own potions or something with special effects. Make our own incense or temp stat boosters or something instead of just buying it. Add more dynamic feel to the game. To me atleast
I love that idea! Customizing or other food items that can be used as held items would be a cool way to replace things like the Roto-Boosts if the Rotom Dex doesn't return.

Emperor Empoleon

Honor of Kalos
But what is bad about Go influencing the games? It's a serious question. What features from Go are relatively possible to fit into the main series and make it worse as a result?

No particular features, it's more about the direction...GO is a heavily simplified version of the Pokemon experience for mobile users, and I feel like the last few games have suffered enough in focusing on the that market. I'd rather not continue down that route on console.

MewsTruck

I love that idea! Customizing or other food items that can be used as held items would be a cool way to replace things like the Roto-Boosts if the Rotom Dex doesn't return.
My whole thing is an in depth and dynamic feel. Even if its just kanto only but its both in depth and dynamic, then atleast they have a good base to go off of for the following game.

Maybe even clothes for trainer types like bird keeper or ace trainer ect...

Just thoughts.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
No particular features, it's more about the direction...GO is a heavily simplified version of the Pokemon experience for mobile users, and I feel like the last few games have suffered enough in focusing on the that market. I'd rather not continue down that route on console.

This. The mere mention of Go implies that they're still trying to target mobile gamers and continue making shallow, casualized experiences. Someone needs to tell Game Freak that most mobile gamers are uninterested in dedicated gaming devices like the Switch. The Switch's audience, especially those that lean more towards the console side of things, are going to want... pretty much the opposite of what Game Freak's been doing with the last few games.

Seven of Arcanine

RK9 Unit Trainer
I was looking forward to a Gen IV remake or the new Gen VIII region, but a Gen I (Yellow) remake is just as acceptable to me. If they do end up restricting the 'dex, it honestly won't matter to me because I would have done that myself anyway.

I always stick to that gen's pokemon. I mean, if Gen IV had been remade, I still would have stuck to Torterra, Luxray, Gastrodon (East), Yanmega, Honchkrow and Bastiodon.

Replays, or third versions that I treat as replays, are where I branch out. And I almost never replay these days.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
See, I never understood when people say "Isn't something you don't want and have no interest in, something that is, in fact, the exact opposite of what you want better than nothing?"
No, for me personally it's not better than nothing. I prefer nothing to something that I don't like.
Also, just liek with USUM, I don't see the abstract idea of "a new Pokemon game" to be inherently desirable by itself. It needs to have the qualities I like about new Pokemon games for me to want it and see it as a good thing and "Let's Go, Gen1!" is unlikely to have those qualities.

Fair enough. I guess I just can't understand the mentality of not being inherently excited by just the factor of it being a new game alone. Assuming it's not a just worthless garbage(and I mean true, objective garbage), I'll get excited for any main series Pokémon game, even if it's not my first choice for what should happen.

Again I'm not telling you not to be excited for "Lets go Pikachu/Eevee", but please don't ask me to be exited for Gen1 pandering only because it's on a new console.

Of course. I just want to point out that I wasn't asking to be excited, I'm just trying to say why it's not a objectively bad thing, which a lot of people (not necessarily you) are taking the stance of.

That was my point, I said that this can cause some worry in some people, including me, because it's so unusual.

But my point is that it being unusual shouldn't really make much a difference, at least until we actually see what kind of impact it has.

This. The mere mention of Go implies that they're still trying to target mobile gamers and continue making shallow, casualized experiences. Someone needs to tell Game Freak that most mobile gamers are uninterested in dedicated gaming devices like the Switch. The Switch's audience, especially those that lean more towards the console side of things, are going to want... pretty much the opposite of what Game Freak's been doing with the last few games.

Just for the sake of it, let's go down a list of possible features of Go that could be theoretically integrated into the main series to varying degrees of success, and think about what they would change and how possible of a change they are to make in the first place.

1) GPS-based Pokémon hunting. This is just flat-out impossible on the Switch, due to it not having a built-in GPS or mobile data capabilities.
2) Battle mechanics. There's just simply no way that Go's battle mechanics could ever be brought into the main series. Yes, if it happened, it would be awful, but there's no way Game Freak would even consider making a drastic change, seeing as the battle system is the core playing experience of the franchise.
3) Capture mechanics. This one could go one of two ways. Either they straight up use Go's capture mechanics, and you don't battle with wild Pokémon before you catch them anymore, or a Go-style capture "mini-game" appears when you select a Pokéball from the menu after a normal battle. The first option is obviously terrible, but just like with the battle mechanics, it's just too drastic a change to actually have a chance of occurring. The only reason catching Pokémon like that works in Go is that you're on the move and can't sit in one place to battle the Pokémon. However, I do believe that adding the Go-style catching "mini-game" as an additional layer on top usual catching mechanics would be quite interesting, and actually add depth and challenge to catching Pokémon, instead of the opposite.
4) CP. CP is Go's equivalent to levels. It's meant to be a system that measure how strong a Pokémon is on an absolute scale, unlike levels, which has a different scale for each Pokémon. I suppose this could be added to the main games, and not much would change. The real question would be why?
5) Seeing Pokémon in the over-world before you catch them. Honestly, I think this is a change for the better if it happens. Makes for better immersion.
6) Go-Style Gyms. Go's gyms is a Player vs. Player aspect, and just wouldn't translate in the slightest to a single player game. That being said, perhaps there can be some sort of "king of the hill" type online mode inspired by Go's gyms.
7) Items from PokéStops. How would that even make sense in a normal game?
8) Using candy to power up a Pokémon instead of battles. Okay, this is one that I guess could be integrated, and would be absolutely awful if they did, but once again, why would they? The candy system works in Go because it's a collecting game. The main series is about bonding with your Pokémon, not collecting them.
9) Teams. If teams were to be brought into the main series, it would either be a story-based aspect, or an online aspect for global online events. Either way, I see no problem.

That's all I can really think of at the moment, and as you can see, if the mechanics brought over aren't changes for the better, then they either make little to no changes, or just wouldn't work in the context of the main series games to begin with. While yes, they want to attract people who played Go, that doesn't mean they're doing it at the expense of everyone else. I don't think we have anything worry about. Personally, I'm excited at the prospect of Go-style catching. It will be fun to actually pretend to throw a Pokéball with the Joy-Cons.

Kage-Pikachu

I also tend to stick to the Pokemon of that generation during my first playthrough of each region. To me it's more fun to use new Pokemon and test them out manually. I'll do my replays with favorites.

Gen 1: Pikachu, Blastoise, Charizard, Venusaur, Alakazam, and Dragonite
Gen 2: Typhlosion, Tyranitar, Noctowl, Ursaring, Azumarril, and Espeon
Gen 3: Sceptile, Salamence, Metagross, Manectric, Blaziken, and Swampert
Gen 4: Infernape, Floatzel, Staraptor, Garchomp, Lucario, and Luxray
Gen 5: Samurott, Serperior, Haxorus, Hydreigon, Bisharp, and Zoroark (I know, not a balanced team)
Gen 6: Greninja, Talonflame, Sylveon, Hawlucha, Helioptile, and Noivern
Gen 7: Primarina, Mimikyu, Lycanrock, Lurantis, Salazzle, and Kommo'o

I really hope this is gen 8 so I can have an all new team to play with. I love these guys but 'm ready to move on.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Just for the sake of it, let's go down a list of possible features of Go that could be theoretically integrated into the main series to varying degrees of success, and think about what they would change and how possible of a change they are to make in the first place.

1) GPS-based Pokémon hunting. This is just flat-out impossible on the Switch, due to it not having a built-in GPS or mobile data capabilities.
2) Battle mechanics. There's just simply no way that Go's battle mechanics could ever be brought into the main series. Yes, if it happened, it would be awful, but there's no way Game Freak would even consider making a drastic change, seeing as the battle system is the core playing experience of the franchise.
3) Capture mechanics. This one could go one of two ways. Either they straight up use Go's capture mechanics, and you don't battle with wild Pokémon before you catch them anymore, or a Go-style capture "mini-game" appears when you select a Pokéball from the menu after a normal battle. The first option is obviously terrible, but just like with the battle mechanics, it's just too drastic a change to actually have a chance of occurring. The only reason catching Pokémon like that works in Go is that you're on the move and can't sit in one place to battle the Pokémon. However, I do believe that adding the Go-style catching "mini-game" as an additional layer on top usual catching mechanics would be quite interesting, and actually add depth and challenge to catching Pokémon, instead of the opposite.
4) CP. CP is Go's equivalent to levels. It's meant to be a system that measure how strong a Pokémon is on an absolute scale, unlike levels, which has a different scale for each Pokémon. I suppose this could be added to the main games, and not much would change. The real question would be why?
5) Seeing Pokémon in the over-world before you catch them. Honestly, I think this is a change for the better if it happens. Makes for better immersion.
6) Go-Style Gyms. Go's gyms is a Player vs. Player aspect, and just wouldn't translate in the slightest to a single player game. That being said, perhaps there can be some sort of "king of the hill" type online mode inspired by Go's gyms.
7) Items from PokéStops. How would that even make sense in a normal game?
8) Using candy to power up a Pokémon instead of battles. Okay, this is one that I guess could be integrated, and would be absolutely awful if they did, but once again, why would they? The candy system works in Go because it's a collecting game. The main series is about bonding with your Pokémon, not collecting them.
9) Teams. If teams were to be brought into the main series, it would either be a story-based aspect, or an online aspect for global online events. Either way, I see no problem.

That's all I can really think of at the moment, and as you can see, if the mechanics brought over aren't changes for the better, then they either make little to no changes, or just wouldn't work in the context of the main series games to begin with. While yes, they want to attract people who played Go, that doesn't mean they're doing it at the expense of everyone else. I don't think we have anything worry about. Personally, I'm excited at the prospect of Go-style catching. It will be fun to actually pretend to throw a Pokéball with the Joy-Cons.

Again, it has nothing to do with importing Go's particular features, it has to do with targeting mobile gamers and further simplifying the game to appeal to them. The whole point is that's a bad idea for a console environment like the Switch, the console market doesn't want a shallow and simplified game, they want something large, open ended, and immersive. They're picking the wrong target audience for this game.

My concern is more with things like further simplifying the map design when Pokemon's maps are already FAR worse than other franchises (hell, there's games 15-20 years old that are bigger than Pokemon has ever been), simplifying the battle mechanics, and overall just making the game easier and easier and shoving things in your face because they don't think their target audience can think for themselves.