• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Thoughts on the Upcoming Pokemon Switch Game?

tyranitar.armaldo

King of the reptiles
Ever play Pokemon Fire Red/Leaf green? Any Pokemon that were not apart of the original 151 were impossible to obtain until a certain part of the story. If you had a Golbat and raised its Friendliness enough, but were still early game, it would start to evolve, then stop itself every time it leveled because Crobat wasn't available yet. They could restrict people the same way here.

And this was despised by the community. In fact it was hated so much, that during HGSS, all pokemon with a post gen-2 evolution had it available.

If they forgot that this happened and GF are trying this hard to push the gen-1 nostalgia-bait, then this company is truly hopeless.

it's fears like these that I really don't understand. Game Freak isn't going to release a game that has no way of obtaining all 807+ pokemon this late in the life of the series. Even if they somehow decided to only make the first 150 catchable in the wild, we'll still have Bank to transfer our old pokemon forward.

I can't see them giving us such a restricted game, especially as the first impression on the Switch. This isn't a spinoff, otherwise it wouldn't be from Game Freak. The only way I see them limiting us to the first 150, with no way to transfer, is if they decide to roll out generations via updates the same way Go does, and I doubt they are planning to emulate Go in that way.

It's more that the initial playthrough will be boring and predictable.

For example USUM was nowhere near as good the first time around I found because there were so few gen 7 pokemon, that I had nothing interesting in mind I wanted to use.

Last edited:

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
I heavily doubt they will retexture the 3DS models to HD. Makes you think, why they didn't release the rumored "Stars" version to Switch if HD development was as easy like that? The texturing procedure does not work as if you're playing S/M in 4K Citra. Plus, this HD version of Charizard Y isn't something I'd be interested to see in Switch, but more complex. Designing the original 1-151 first, and the first installments of Switch games are rumored to be Kanto reboots sounds logical to me. The most quality sprites (3D included) we've ever seen so far were made in 240p, now they are on a much bigger project so, going step by step and introducing little amount of Pokemon, but releasing the rest as the time goes by like GO did(!) should be understandable even if most of the fans will riot.
Go uses the same models as XYORAS. They aren't releasing them in waves because they are still developing the sprites. They release them in waves to keep people playing the game. If they were all available at once, there would be no reason to keep playing the game, unless you really like reclaiming gyms over and over.

For example USUM was nowhere near as good the first time around I found because there were so few gen 7 pokemon, that I had nothing interesting in mind I wanted to use.
I had the same issue and ended up using a mix of old and new because I had already used most of the new ones during my Sun and Moon playthroughs.

CMButch

Kanto is love. Kanto is life.
TVG, according to your logic, once they announced Stakataka and Blacephalon in USUM, that means it's a new generation, based on your logic;" if I see 1 new Pokemon after Zeraora". Same can be said here: "if we see one new Pokemon after Marshadow it is a new gen", yet it's clearly not.

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
TVG, according to your logic, once they announced Stakataka and Blacephalon in USUM, that means it's a new generation, based on your logic;" if I see 1 new Pokemon after Zeraora". Same can be said here: "if we see one new Pokemon after Marshadow it is a new gen", yet it's clearly not.
I clearly said I was forced to alter my definition of generation with Ultra Sun and Moon. The difference here is we are on entirely new hardware and we aren't in the same region replaying the same exact story with minor changes.

CMButch

I clearly said I was forced to alter my definition of generation with Ultra Sun and Moon. The difference here is we are on entirely new hardware and we aren't in the same region replaying the same exact story with minor changes.
So? That doesn't mean it's a new generation because it's on new system.New generation means loads of new Pokemon, new starters, new places, new rivals, new and unique look of MCs, new power ups etc, new team etc etc.

Akashin

No, but we are going to an already existing region and experiencing a possibly similar or identical story (we're getting mixed messages there, what with the rumor being that these are remakes yet the PC and Rival aren't Red(/Leaf?) and Blue). I'm definitely of the belief that a change in appearance for the series is a distinct part of what makes a new Generation, but I highly disagree that a pair of games could be considered a new Generation by that alone.

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
So? That doesn't mean it's a new generation because it's on new system.New generation means loads of new Pokemon, new starters, new places, new rivals, new and unique look of MCs, new power ups etc, new team etc etc.
First of all, why do you care what generation I consider the new games to be? Neither of us can prove either way yet.

Second, I said I was waiting for more concrete details before I could say what generation I think the game is, but until something proves otherwise, I'm assuming it's generation 8 because I think it's a safer bet. We are moving to a new hardware and there has never been a cross-hardware generation, with the exception of GS, but they were intended for the GBC. The last couple generations have only been 4 games and generation 7 already has 4. We don't know yet whether LGPE will have new pokemon, locations, rivals, items, etc., but many of the rumors say they will.

This could also be another instance of GF breaking patterns and LGPE is a bridge between 7 and 8. I think what will really be telling is whether LGPE has any connectivity with USUM beyond Bank. If there is none, I don't see how anyone can consider them to be in the same generation.

CMButch

First of all, why do you care what generation I consider the new games to be?

Second, I said I was waiting for more concrete details before I could say what generation I think the game is, but until something proves otherwise, I'm assuming it's generation 8 because I think it's a safer bet. We are moving to a new hardware and there has never been a cross-hardware generation, with the exception of GS, but they were intended for the GBC. The last couple generations have only been 4 games and generation 7 already has 4. We don't know yet whether LGPE will have new pokemon, locations, rivals, items, etc., but many of the rumors say they will.

This could also be another instance of GF breaking patterns and LGPE is a bridge between 7 and 8. I think what will really be telling is whether LGPE has any connectivity with USUM beyond Bank. If there is none, I don't see how anyone can consider them to be in the same generation.
1.You can consider what you want, you can even consider HG/SS to be Gen 5 or ORAS to be Gen 7 for all I care, just your comments are giving false vibes to people that don't know what it will be, what gen would be and we're correcting that what in objective standpoint new gen means.
2.Rumors=/= actual stuff/leak. You seem to be much more pinpointed to those rumors believing they are true. Plus, no rumors did say anything about new Pokemon and locations( from what I am aware).
3. You said yourself it's a bridge between two, which is fine, it'd be like 7.5 gen, which is not Gen 8, but close, I am fine with that.

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
1.You can consider what you want, you can even consider HG/SS to be Gen 5 or ORAS to be Gen 7 for all I care, just your comments are giving false vibes to people that don't know what it will be, what gen would be and we're correcting that what in objective standpoint new gen means.
2.Rumors=/= actual stuff/leak. You seem to be much more pinpointed to those rumors believing they are true. Plus, no rumors did say anything about new Pokemon and locations( from what I am aware).
3. You said yourself it's a bridge between two, which is fine, it'd be like 7.5 gen, which is not Gen 8, but close, I am fine with that.

1. I am not so illogical to consider our currently defined generations as anything but what they are. And how am I giving false vibes by saying "I think LGPE will be gen 8, here's why"? Why aren't you attacking all the people who are giving false vibes about this just being an HD remake of Yellow?

2. You obviously haven't been reading everything I've posted in this thread. You are looking at statements of possibility that I have made and reading them as me stating facts. I am well aware that the only concrete details we've had so far are that GF is working on the next core title(s) for the Switch, the company TPC used in the past to hold domains has just held domains for Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee at the same time that the titles were "leaked", and that Masuda, GF, and TPC have been hyping Pikachu and Eevee for at least half a year. Everything else is speculation and rumor, some more credible than others. Especially the ones posted by Emily Rogers and that Italian leaker that sounds like a legit member of the localization team. However, some rumors are mentioning new pokemon, namely new evolutions for Eevee and Pikachu, and some rumors are saying there will be new places within Kanto, along with significant changes to Kanto. Just because you aren't aware of them doesn't mean they aren't out there. I know most of the rumors going around will end up being fake, but some of the more credible ones are saying the same things and I am making judgments based on them.

3. I said "could be". I did not state that it is a bridge. Don't keep turning my could be's and possibilities into statements of fact and calling me out.

The bottom line is we don't know yet. I have my opinions and will gladly admit they were wrong if it comes to that. I think LGPE will be the first games of gen 8. The main things that that could prove to me otherwise would be proof that there are no new pokemon and proof that LGPE can connect to USUM. If there is no wait to trade a pokemon from USUM to LGPE, I don't see how anyone can consider them to be in the same generation.

PirateKing

I dont think this new rumor of it being only the 151 applies to the entire game, I think it'll be the same as FRLG/BW where it's only until you beat the story, after which the rest of the mons open up to you.

Otherwise Bank and PoGo couldnt transfer over, Espeon and Umbreon couldnt be obtainable at all since this one probably has a day/night cycle whereas FRLG didnt, Alolan Forms like Raichu couldnt be obtainable despite counting as the same pokemon just a different form. Mega Evolutions and Z-Moves would be drastically cut down, Breeding wouldnt work becase of mons like Pichu, Steel/Dark/Fairy/Dragon/Ghost types would be limited to only like 3-5 mons each, and official tournaments like VGC would have severely limited options. Therefore, I just dont see them locking Chikorita to Zeraora out absolutely.

I think at worst, it'll be a FRLG situation where Golbat may suddenly stop evolving until you get the National Dex, but overall I think it'll be the same as every other game. 151 regional dex - beat the game - New areas open with National Dex mons

Last edited:

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
How do you define a new generation then?

when a game has a new region + new Grass/Fire/Water starters

so if this comes out for Switch and doesn't have those characteristics (even if it does have some new Pokémon)
and then next year another Switch game comes out that has those characteristics, that will be the beginning of Gen VIII

CMButch

1. I am not so illogical to consider our currently defined generations as anything but what they are. And how am I giving false vibes by saying "I think LGPE will be gen 8, here's why"? Why aren't you attacking all the people who are giving false vibes about this just being an HD remake of Yellow?

2. You obviously haven't been reading everything I've posted in this thread. You are looking at statements of possibility that I have made and reading them as me stating facts. I am well aware that the only concrete details we've had so far are that GF is working on the next core title(s) for the Switch, the company TPC used in the past to hold domains has just held domains for Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee at the same time that the titles were "leaked", and that Masuda, GF, and TPC have been hyping Pikachu and Eevee for at least half a year. Everything else is speculation and rumor, some more credible than others. Especially the ones posted by Emily Rogers and that Italian leaker that sounds like a legit member of the localization team. However, some rumors are mentioning new pokemon, namely new evolutions for Eevee and Pikachu, and some rumors are saying there will be new places within Kanto, along with significant changes to Kanto. Just because you aren't aware of them doesn't mean they aren't out there. I know most of the rumors going around will end up being fake, but some of the more credible ones are saying the same things and I am making judgments based on them.

3. I said "could be". I did not state that it is a bridge. Don't keep turning my could be's and possibilities into statements of fact and calling me out.

The bottom line is we don't know yet. I have my opinions and will gladly admit they were wrong if it comes to that. I think LGPE will be the first games of gen 8. The main things that that could prove to me otherwise would be proof that there are no new pokemon and proof that LGPE can connect to USUM. If there is no wait to trade a pokemon from USUM to LGPE, I don't see how anyone can consider them to be in the same generation.

1. You're giving false vibes to anyone who doesn't know about these rumors and some "leaks" who are reading this thread about how this will be Gen 8 and once it comes out, they'd be disappointed in it.Just because you're the only one who has this opinion doesn't mean you're gonna get killed for it. You think this Let's Go is Gen 8. That's fine, we can counter and say it's not.I am not 'attacking' them because they don't say it's Gen 8. They just say it's remake of Yellow and that's it, they don't spread objectively false information around, it's a speculation. Saying it's Gen 8 outright is false, but it's your opinion,which can be wrong but you're not going in jail for it.
2.I didn't.. because I don't have time and will to read all comments. I just took part of it what you're saying 1 new Pokemon and new system = new gen which is false and not true.Yes, they're working on core games, but funny nowhere it's stated that those LET'S Go games are core games. These could easily be Mystery Dungeon games.Surely, the only valid thing is Let's Go Eevee and Pikachu which screams a) if new core not new gen because Eevee and Pikachu are obviously starters and b) screams MD type of game.
3. Fact is it's not Gen 8 and that's final. Gen 8 would come either 2019 or 2020, you understand that SM came out in 2016, if this is new gen, this makes no sense since it's 2 years apart.No way they could've finished it this soon.Also, saying it's a bridge is better and more valid statement then outright saying "it's a gen 8 because of new system/ 1 new Pokemon..ORAS didn't really connect to XY( part from ME) and it's still Gen 6 and not Gen 7. USUM had new Pokemon that didn't exist in SM and still it's Gen 7. Also, just to say just because there'd be like 3-4 new Pokemon in LGPE,doesn't mean it will be new gen.

Zold

Pokémon Breeder
Even if for some reason these games really did only have the original 151 (it's important to note that even the legitimate leakers use fake information, for various reasons), that'd still leave the original three evolutions, obviously.

I ment because in the original Yellow, the starter Pikachu couldn't evolve. =/

Akashin

I ment because in the original Yellow, the starter Pikachu couldn't evolve. =/

My mistake.

As far as that question is concerned, I'd been wondering the same thing. Evolution is Eevee's thing, so I can't see them imposing that restriction on it, but I also can't see them applying that restriction to one of them and not the other. Maybe Pikachu can evolve this time around, and continues to follow you even if it does? That's the simplest solution, but I'm not sure how likely it is.

Grey Wind

I heavily doubt they will retexture the 3DS models to HD. Makes you think, why they didn't release the rumored "Stars" version to Switch if HD development was as easy like that? The texturing procedure does not work as if you're playing S/M in 4K Citra. Plus, this HD version of Charizard Y isn't something I'd be interested to see in Switch, but more complex. Designing the original 1-151 first, and the first installments of Switch games are rumored to be Kanto reboots sounds logical to me. The most quality sprites (3D included) we've ever seen so far were made in 240p, now they are on a much bigger project so, going step by step and introducing little amount of Pokemon, but releasing the rest as the time goes by like GO did(!) should be understandable even if most of the fans will riot.
They had to make 700+ 3D models from scratch for XY and they did it just fine. Even if they restrict the game to just Kanto Pokemon I can't imagine time restraints being a problem.

I don't think there's any reason to believe new "leaks", 4chan always has random stuff being posted and people are gonna take advantage of these rumours while they're all that's being talked about. I'd hope Game Freak would have better sense than to only include 151 Pokemon in the game.

My mistake.

As far as that question is concerned, I'd been wondering the same thing. Evolution is Eevee's thing, so I can't see them imposing that restriction on it, but I also can't see them applying that restriction to one of them and not the other. Maybe Pikachu can evolve this time around, and continues to follow you even if it does? That's the simplest solution, but I'm not sure how likely it is.
TBH I just see them restricting both from evolving. An unevolved partner would be in line with Yellow's gimmick, and IMO one start having seven evolutions would be kind of lopsided.

Akashin

They had to make 700+ 3D models from scratch for XY and they did it just fine. Even if they restrict the game to just Kanto Pokemon I can't imagine time restraints being a problem.

I don't think there's any reason to believe new "leaks", 4chan always has random stuff being posted and people are gonna take advantage of these rumours while they're all that's being talked about. I'd hope Game Freak would have better sense than to only include 151 Pokemon in the game.

Much as I agree, it's worth pointing out that the claim that these games would be restricted to the original 151 came from the same guy who first made the leak.

Bus

And this was despised by the community. In fact it was hated so much, that during HGSS, all pokemon with a post gen-2 evolution had it available.

If they forgot that this happened are are trying this hard to push the gen-1 nostalgia-bait, then this company is truly hopeless.

Don't get me wrong, I never said it was a good idea or that I liked it. I was just trying to reason how it could stick to only the first 151 despite there being well over that number at this point. Personally, from everything hinted at so far I'm not even sure this will be a traditional game. I think it's going to be another offshoot like Mystery Dungeon, Conquest, or Rangers. It could just be based in the Kanto region with your Ranger partner being either a Pikachu or Eevee. As far as I know, in Ranger, the protagonist had a permanent partner (which in this case would be either of the Titular pokemon) and I don't think they'd evolve. It's mission based and you just catch things temporarily, so the pool of Pokemon wouldn't need to be as big.

Whether this Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee thing turns out to be legitimate or not, let's just look at the facts:
* Pokemon as a franchise makes way too much money on its core series to change it drastically; a core game will always be the same concept
* Just to clarify 'core game': Catch/Collect pokemon, Raise a team of 6, Travel a region defeating trainers, Challenge a championship, Trade with friends
* There's nothing about it being on a Console to warrant changing that formula either since RPGs were born on the console to begin with
* There are precedents for Pokemon games that are not traditional, sure, but they all have names that clue you in to the fact that they're not a core game
* Pokemon Conquest, Rangers, Mystery Dungeon, Stadium, Colosseum, Snap, Art Academy, Trozei, and Pinball to name a few
* Mystery Dungeon titles also had dual titles: Blue/Red Rescue Team, Explorers Of Time/Darkness/Sky, and Fire/Storm/Light Adventure Team
* The last spinoff game was Pokken & Detective Pikachu; both of which were released in 2016 (2018 for Detective Pikachu for Western Audiences)
* Release time-table for previous Generations:
(Red/Blue- '96), (Gold/Silver- '99), (Ruby/Sapphire- '02), (Diamond/Pearl- '06), (Black/White- '10), (X/Y- '13), (Sun/Moon- '16)

With exception to RSE --> DPP and DPP --> BW, the gap has always been 3 years, so the next core game isn't due to 2019 at the EARLIEST. Given that this will be the first game on the Nintendo's home console, I wouldn't be surprised if this were to be another 4 year gap and the Let's GO games are holdovers until the 'main' event.

Last edited:

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。

True. But, we don't know the difference between creating 700+ 3D models for the 3DS and integrating them to the game under 240p quality, and then the new(?) HD models for 800+. We know that Ohmori's full attention was on Sun and Moon series, so the time constraint might've been difficult to adjust for the remaining core GameFreak staff. As @Akashin said, the leak is coming from the guy who leaked the reliable content about the upcoming titles, and the intended 151 Pokemon could be the result of missing the deadline.

To think about it, if they realized that they cannot meet with the deadline, going for a Kanto project makes sense. Retuning back to the roots, attracting the older fans, an HD Kanto, only 151 and the list goes on. Mine is a theory, of course, but it still is a possibility. For instance, they might've made 600+ designs so far, but not the entire 800, which is why the rest can be released with PokeBank later on and came up with the reboot idea to deliver a Switch game in '18 and boost the console sales. It's not a bad "Killing two birds with one stone." approach.