• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Thoughts on the Upcoming Pokemon Switch Game?

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
So are we going to call this gen 8 or what?
It is confirmed not to be Gen 8 but rather as a Gen 7 spin-off title.

BCVM22

Following pokémon already worked back on the Game Boy in the original Pokémon Yellow. It's really not hardware limitations that holds this back.

It absolutely is. That was a single sprite following you - Pikachu only. This is 151+ 3D models following OR CARRYING you while the game still runs smoothly.

And the fact that they barely even show it on a TV in the trailer is also concerning, I'm not sure if they even have the resolution to support that.

Not only do they spend half the trailer showing the game being played on a TV, but "I'm not sure if they even have the resolution to support that" isn't how the Switch works.

Besides, I don't care about connecting to a TV, I don't even have a TV.

Then how is it "concerning" to you?

And seriously, what about the graphics looks better than in USUM?

Again, it isn't about pure graphics. The Switch affords them considerably better system resources to allow more happening on screen at once. The 3DS would not have allowed for universal following/carrying Pokémon, two players on screen (technically or logistically) or wild Pokémon visible and roaming around.

So are we going to call this gen 8 or what?

It's whatever you want it to be. Generation 7, Generation 7.5. I don't think we have or will get a "definitive" answer other than it isn't really Generation VIII. That comes next year.

No, it's gen 1.

It most certainly is not this, any more than Fire Red/Leaf Green were.

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。
I'll admit that's a lot closer, but why would they base his design off the manga? They just redesigned Red for Sun and Moon, I doubt he's getting an even more drastic redesign in the same generation.
If we assume the playable character is indeed Red, I believe the difference in design would be due to different timeline than the other core RPG games. Despite LGP/E are core-games, it is the first game ever to only feature the original 151, plus a special Pokemon. The only logical comparison I could make at that point, and with what has been confirmed so far, is Ash in the anime and Ash's reboot in the Movie 20.

Plus, you have to consider the possibility that almost all characters from the past have to receive a redesign as we're stepping up from 3DS, including Red.

BCVM22

I'm calling it gen 1 because it only has the original 151 pokémon unlike FRLG which also had Johto and Hoenn pokémon.

You're free to call it whatever you like. That doesn't make it Generation I. And if that's really your sole metric, we know for a fact the game will include at least one Pokémon from Generation VIII, so it wouldn't be accurate by that standard either.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I'm calling it gen 1 because it only has the original 151 pokémon unlike FRLG which also had Johto and Hoenn pokémon.
But it cannot be called Gen 1 because it wasn't released in 1996-1999 in Japan, 1998-2000 in the US and 1999-2001 in Europe. Gen 8 is set to start in late 2019 and Sun and Moon marked the start of Gen 7 with their release in November 2016, so it is now Gen 7 and a release in November 2018 still means LGPE will be a Gen 7 game.

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO

This isn't exactly new, though. GO integration is a glorified Dream World, and Pokéball Plus is a glorified Pokéwalker.

AuroraBeam

I've not been that interested in GO but this looks like a neat little romp. I wonder if that special never-before-seen pokemon will be something akin to the original Ranger's Manaphy Egg that we can send to the coming 8 gen games. I don't know whether I'd prefer Pikachu or Eevee yet...

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Can someone confirm this if this is true. I think it was Gamexplain video talking about the Let's Go trailer, explaining that this game takes place a few years after Sun and Moon meaning Red and Blue are adults and the Gym Leaders and some other characters are much older. This would make a lot of sense, and would be a refreshing take on Gen 1, as the two new characters look different from Red and Leaf of the remakes but on the other hand though, there's a scene where your fighting Team Rocket at Silph Co. Unless that's a coincidence, I think Team Rocket invading the Silph Company is a hint that this is indeed a remake.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I wonder if that special never-before-seen pokemon will be something akin to the original Ranger's Manaphy Egg that we can send to the coming 8 gen games.
Possibly but it can apply to all Pokémon in LGPE, making the possible transfer link between GO, LGPE and Gen 8.

Xuxuba

I see there is no consensus. Guess i'm calling it gen 7 since that is what Serebii decided.

If that is the case i wonder if the new pokemon introduced in this game will be part of gen 7 too...

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I've not been that interested in GO but this looks like a neat little romp. I wonder if that special never-before-seen pokemon will be something akin to the original Ranger's Manaphy Egg that we can send to the coming 8 gen games. I don't know whether I'd prefer Pikachu or Eevee yet...

Since Ultra Sun and Moon introduced new Pokémon mid-generation, there really isn't any need to do that. They put a single new Pokémon into this game and still call it Gen VII

Can someone confirm this if this is true. I think it was Gamexplain video talking about the Let's Go trailer, explaining that this game takes place a few years after Sun and Moon meaning Red and Blue are adults and the Gym Leaders and some other characters are much older. This would make a lot of sense, and would be a refreshing take on Gen 1, as the two new characters look different from Red and Leaf of the remakes but on the other hand though, there's a scene where your fighting Team Rocket at Silph Co. Unless that's a coincidence, I think Team Rocket invading the Silph Company is a hint that this is indeed a remake.

As far as I know, nothing has stated when these games take place. What you heard was probably speculation.

We're (probably) playing as entirely new characters, so that would make this not a remake. Also, It's been officially said that these games were inspired by Yellow Version, which would imply it's not a remake of it, or else you'd just say that. As for the Silph Co. thing, it could easily just be a callback. Either Team Rocket decides to take over the building for a second time, or there's just a random Grunt there reminiscing about old times.

I see there is no consensus. Guess i'm calling it gen 8 since that is what Serebii decided.

If that is the case i wonder if the new pokemon introduced in this game will be part of gen 7 too...

Serebii's calling it Gen VII, not VIII

BCVM22

I see there is no consensus. Guess i'm calling it gen 8 since that is what Serebii decided.

Serebii has the games classed Generation VII titles, if that’s what you’re going by.

No. It’ll be a Generation VIII Pokémon. There’s no real need to quibble over that.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Ishihara confirmed that LGPE are mainline titles. Now whether we classify them as gen 7 or gen 7.5, it's up to us.
He did consider it as a main series title but for us fans, we do not classify the new games as part of the core series, like Colosseum and XD.

Xuxuba

Serebii has the games classed Generation VII titles, if that’s what you’re going by.
Again it was a typo.

No. It’ll be a Generation VIII Pokémon. There’s no real need to quibble over that.
Well this new pokemon's situation is not that different from zeraora who is also a new pokemon introduced this generation despite not being present in the first games of this generation and zeraora is considered a gen 7 pokemon.

So the criteria for calling it a gen 8 pokemon still isn't that clear.

Last edited:

Kazuniya

read/watch dungeon meshi

Personally, I find calling this game gen 8 completely unfitting.

'New generation' should be reserved for new entries featuring a brand new region with brand new Pokemon (aka, what we are likely getting next year).
LGPE seems to be mainly featuring Kanto--that is not quite gen 8.

BCVM22

Can someone confirm this if this is true. I think it was Gamexplain video talking about the Let's Go trailer, explaining that this game takes place a few years after Sun and Moon meaning Red and Blue are adults and the Gym Leaders and some other characters are much older.

Nothing official says this.

Unless that's a coincidence, I think Team Rocket invading the Silph Company is a hint that this is indeed a remake.

At this early stage, it’s best not to worry too much about whether it’s a sequel or a remake or a dream or an imaginary tale. You’re only going to find agreement or disagreement, not confirmation.