• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Thoughts on the Upcoming Pokemon Switch Game?

yefluke

Dizzy Trainer
These are just another disappointed.

No wild pokemon battle.
CP instead of normal stats.

These reasons are enough to say it is Pokemon Go on console + urrrr remake of kanto region with xy graphic style..

Well ... let’s see what else GF will offer.
I try to be positive... this is just an announcements anyway.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Again, there’s no reason to try and place this upcoming new Pokémon as part of the Generation VII Pokédex. There’s just next to nothing that would occur where we’d say “yeah, this Pokémon belongs with the Kalos set instead if in the new generation of games it hails from.” I know you get into your things where you say “okay but I don’t see why...” and that is what it is so I don’t really feel the need to try and litigate this further. We’ll move on in a year and forget it was ever really a question. Until then, it is what it is and you can class it as you like.

If you would indulge me for just one more post, I'd like to ask you what reason you think there is to place it with Gen VIII. You see no reason to place it in Gen VII, I see no reason to place it in Gen VIII. My logic for saying it should be Gen VII was pretty much that I see no reason for it to be considered Gen VIII. I'll drop it after this.

But what really separates it from other main series games is the combined CP stat mechanic that existed in Pokémon GO instead of Pokémon having their Attack and Defense stats separated into physical and special components. Whether LGPE will have a Special split for both Attack and Defense, as well as having the Speed stat, we're not too sure yet.

CP isn't in Let's Go. If you look at any of the battle portions of the trailer, Pokémon have normal levels.

From someone in another forum:
They refer to the Let's Go games as "mainline" but only refer to next year's games as "core" games. This leads to some obvious conclusions to their criteria.

Mainline = Not MD, Conquest, Rangers, Quest, Snap, Rumble, or Shuffle. You catch Pokémon (Not play as them), battle other trainers with a trainer v trainer format, and have a region to explore. Because they play like the main games, without being a integral addition to the franchise.

Core = Meeting the conditions listed above (obviously excluding the last part), while also being new generation, with new Pokémon, new region, and more of the traditions we know (Gyms or their equivalent, Pokémon League, etc). The 2019 games will be core additions to the franchise (I.e Gen 8).

So are you claiming that remakes, third versions, and sequels aren't core series games? Seems like an extremely arbitrary distinction for two terms that are clearly synonyms.

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。
CP isn't in Let's Go. If you look at any of the battle portions of the trailer, Pokémon have normal levels.
CP is in Let's GO.

Go5Xeen.png

Xuxuba

Can someone explain to me why some of you think this is just Pokemon Go on home consoles? From what I've been hearing from the comparisons of the Pokemon Main Series and Pokemon Go, this is literally just a Pokemon HD Remake/Reboot of Generation 1 that stays true to the main series and more except for the fact that wild battles are gone. I am freaking serious. This is literally everything that Pokemon Go is not, a colorful remake of Kanto with a full-fledge campaign filled with trainers, wildlife, and probably tons of post-game content that GameFreak hasn't spoiled us yet in future trailers that makes FireRed and LeafGreen look barebones.

It seems the only reason you guys are calling this Pokemon Go on home consoles is because wild battles are gone! That is literally it! Some of you guys are okay with 151 Pokemon or the supposed lack of online multiplayer but when it's a lack of wild battles, it's suddenly Pokemon Go on consoles. I can understand the disappointment, even the frustration but there just seems to be no real basis to any of your arguments that this is just Pokemon Go on consoles. To me, calling it Pokemon Go on home consoles sounds like your saying that this game is not quality-made, it's bare-bones, empty, generic, no upgrades or innovation, and no hard work or care was put into this title which is what Pokemon Go's quality standard literally is. I can understand if you think this is going to be a disappointing or even a bad game but I do not understand why some of you think this is just Pokemon Go in console form.
I mean, i do not think this is at all the console version of Pokémon Go, but i do admit that the wild battles were one of the original games' core elements and we shouldn't underestimate it's importance on the franchise.

Weakening the pokemon before catching it is what made us feels accomplished when we finally caught a pokemon. Just throwing a pokeball and catching it doesn't have the same feeling of reward.

Anyway, i really hope this game has a lot of rematchable trainers and that we will be able to rematch them easily because without wild battles, we aren't going to be able to battle all that often, and that might make not only grinding annoying but also it will take out part of the fun of the game, which is battling pokemon.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
This is another example.
pG4sSD8.png

As well as levels, there is also CP, as some others have confirmed.

BCVM22

If you would indulge me for just one more post, I'd like to ask you what reason you think there is to place it with Gen VIII. You see no reason to place it in Gen VII, I see no reason to place it in Gen VIII. My logic for saying it should be Gen VII was pretty much that I see no reason for it to be considered Gen VIII. I'll drop it after this.

Because it’s a Pokémon that will almost certainly make its full playable debut in the Generation VIII titles, and the only link it has to Generation VII is that it’s appearing in a title that is neither in Generation VII or Generation VIII. The Pokémon will have appeared in none of the four core titles that make up the actual Generation VII.

The placement of this game as part of Generation VII by us is more because we aren’t really processing yet that this game eschews the typical generation boundaries - it is Generation VII only in that it isn’t Generation VIII, and Serebii isn’t going to create a sidebar section for “Generation VII.5”.

Footage shown during the presentation clearly showed a CP number, so the stat exists in these games in addition to though evidently not instead of normal levels.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Oh boy... this changes everything.
Totally confirms it's a core series game lol. It's more like a half-GO half core series game and it is actually confirmed it's missing a number of features that make up a core series game like online play.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
These are just another disappointed.

No wild pokemon battle.
CP instead of normal stats.

These reasons are enough to say it is Pokemon Go on console + urrrr remake of kanto region with xy graphic style..

Well ... let’s see what else GF will offer.
I try to be positive... this is just an announcements anyway.
I really don't think so. That just say Pokemon Go is an influence to this game, not the basis to it, and honestly I don't think it will heavily impact much of the core elements of the main series. Honestly I don't think it's as different as other gimmicks like Pokemon Contests and to an extant Mega Evolution or the Pikachu cosplay that GameFreak wants to make each generation or title feel unique. I really don't think CP will be a huge impact on this game and will be the reason why most of you will be buying Let's Go. If there was a competitive meta built around CP, that's not what's going to make Pokemon Let's Go Pokemon and that's not going be your reason why you buy this. Your going to buy this because it's a HD remake of Gen 1 that looks like it's from the Unreal Engine, for the nostalgia, to see what evolutionary steps this game takes from Gen 7 to Gen 8, and what else the world of Pokemon offers. That is why I do not believe this is Pokemon Go on home consoles because Pokemon Go can't do that one basic simple thing, it can NEVER offer that kind of experience, the world of Pokemon nor that competitive experience. It's also why you guys should give it a chance. It's a marvelous and colorful take on Pokemon Yellow with some Pokemon GO influences, not Pokemon GO on home consoles.

BCVM22

Totally confirms it's a core series game lol. It's more like a half-GO half core series game and it is actually confirmed it's missing a number of features that make up a core series game like online play.

It’s something new and unique. It’s a Game Freak-developed core title but it has just as much in common with a mobile spinoff game as with the rest of the core titles. It is, right now, almost its own classification entirely, as it doesn’t fit perfectly into any previously established category or generation or classification.

Whether it is a one-off, designed to get Pokémon on the Switch in near-core form as soon as possible, or whether it is the start of a new branch of the franchise remains to be seen.

yefluke

Dizzy Trainer
Well ...

I try not to be racist but i think the japanese marketing & how they works are not resonated to the rest of the world nowsaday.
(Still working like sane old days)

It worked in the past. But right now how they work is questionable.

They think they are unique & cute... but oh well it is in the wrong way somehow.

BCVM22

Pokémon GO was as huge in America as it was anywhere else. What’s all this about “Japanese marketing not working” and “but it is in the wrong way somehow”?

TTNH03

Pokemon Researcher
So are you claiming that remakes, third versions, and sequels aren't core series games? Seems like an extremely arbitrary distinction for two terms that are clearly synonyms.
What? No. I never said that.

I'll try and describe what this person said:

The core series: basically has all the main elements that make a Pokemon game. From Gen 1 where it has the main structure of a game to Gen 7 where it has updated with a lot of things like battling, catching, trading, IVs, EVs, breeding, Mega Evolutions, Z-moves, etc. Remakes, Third versions and sequels still follow this line because it still retains its main structure of a 'core' game. Plus its an add on to the original games anyways.

The mainline series: is similar to a core-series concept but it has some mechanics either modified or removed. Pokemon Colosseum and XD still has the main methods as the Gen 3 series except for the fact that you cannot catch Wild Pokemon anymore (except for Pokesnacks in XD) and basically added in the Snag mechanic.
Shadow Pokemon is also a new mechanic introduced to the series which isn't related to the core games.

Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee seems to implement GO mechanics as well as getting rid of some of the older ones like battling wild Pokemon.

Last edited:

Zold

Pokémon Breeder
Well, I suppose it will be that kind of game you play through the story, complete your Pokédex and never touch again. For me, personally, this is the biggest dissapointment since the beginning of Pokémon.

Eevee deserved better than this.

BCVM22

What precisely were you expecting from this, that you won’t get every bit of from Generation VIII a year and a half from now, that you go to hyperbole on the order of “this is the biggest disappointment in the history of Pokémon”?

yefluke

Dizzy Trainer
I really don't think so. That just say Pokemon Go is an influence to this game, not the basis to it, and honestly I don't think it will heavily impact much of the core elements of the main series. Honestly I don't think it's as different as other gimmicks like Pokemon Contests and to an extant Mega Evolution or the Pikachu cosplay that GameFreak wants to make each generation or title feel unique. I really don't think CP will be a huge impact on this game and will be the reason why most of you will be buying Let's Go. If there was a competitive meta built around CP, that's not what's going to make Pokemon Let's Go Pokemon and that's not going be your reason why you buy this. Your going to buy this because it's a HD remake of Gen 1 that looks like it's from the Unreal Engine, for the nostalgia, to see what evolutionary steps this game takes from Gen 7 to Gen 8, and what else the world of Pokemon offers. That is why I do not believe this is Pokemon Go on home consoles because Pokemon Go can't do that one basic simple thing, it can NEVER offer that kind of experience, the world of Pokemon nor that competitive experience. It's also why you guys should give it a chance. It's a marvelous and colorful take on Pokemon Yellow with some Pokemon GO influences, not Pokemon GO on home consoles.

That’s why i stated that i still have hope for these pair of games since it is just first announcement.

Btw , im not competitive player but i like to battle wild pokemon / grinding . Im not that kind of ppl that appreciate graphic more than gameplay.

Well it is the matter of ppl oppion anyway.
I do think that ppl have their reasons to buy or not buy stuffs.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
CP is in Let's GO.

Go5Xeen.png

Huh, missed that entirely. Thanks.

Because it’s a Pokémon that will almost certainly make its full playable debut in the Generation VIII titles, and the only link it has to Generation VII is that it’s appearing in a title that is neither in Generation VII or Generation VIII. The Pokémon will have appeared in none of the four core titles that make up the actual Generation VII.

The placement of this game as part of Generation VII by us is more because we aren’t really processing yet that this game eschews the typical generation boundaries - it is Generation VII only in that it isn’t Generation VIII, and Serebii isn’t going to create a sidebar section for “Generation VII.5”.

Okay, so you think it's not going to be playable in these games? If that's the case, I would certainly agree with you. I had been basing my argument on the assumption that it's fully integrated into these games.

Doesn't confirm that by a long-shot. This entire game is designed around capitalizing off of Go's success. Once again, they explicitly called it main-series, which by definition makes it not a spin-off. What you're doing right now is akin to calling a lemon an orange, just because they both have peels.

What? No. I never said that.

You specifically said it had to be new region, that's why I asked that.

I'll try and describe what this person said:
The core series: basically has all the main elements that make a Pokemon game. From Gen 1 where it has the main structure of a game to Gen 7 where it has updated with a lot of things like battling, catching, trading, IVs, EVs, breeding, Mega Evolutions, Z-moves, etc. Remakes, Third versions and sequels still follow this line because it still retains its main structure of a 'core' game. Plus its an add on to the original games anyways.

The mainline series: is similar to a core-series concept but it has some mechanics either modified or removed. Pokemon Colosseum and XD still has the main methods as the Gen 3 series except for the fact that you cannot catch Wild Pokemon anymore (except for Pokesnacks in XD) and basically added in the Snag mechanic.
Shadow Pokemon is also a new mechanic introduced to the series which isn't related to the core games.

Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee seems to implement GO mechanics as well as getting rid of some of the older ones like battling wild Pokemon.

No one ever, fan or Game Freak, has called Colosseum or XD mainline games. I can agree that perhaps we might have to make a new classification for Let's Go as something in the main series, but separated from everything else, but really, it shouldn't be in the same classification as spin-offs like Colosseum or XD, as these are not spin-offs.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
That’s why i stated that i still have hope for these pair of games since it is just first announcement.

Btw , im not competitive player but i like to battle wild pokemon / grinding . Im not that kind of ppl that appreciate graphic more than gameplay.

Well it is the matter of ppl oppion anyway.
I do think that ppl have their reasons to buy or not buy stuffs.
Okay than. Anyways, from what I've read, this game is heavily inspired by many of the single player moments of Pokemon Yellow that appealed to young children, like Pikachu following or reacting you to each starter having there own little backstory to the Team Rocket trio stopping you. From what I've seen from the many features of the trailer, I'm going to take a guess that the aim of this game is to make the Pokemon world feel more alive to people. Just a guess though and it would be in line with what GameFreak sees as innovation of Pokemon, trying to make there Pokemon world feel alive as possible.

yefluke

Dizzy Trainer
Well...

Core game or not core game ... does it really matter at all? I mean , like gen 6.5 or gen 7 discussion.

Does it really matter all why you guys keep arguing?