• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Thoughts on the Upcoming Pokemon Switch Game?

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Doesn't confirm that by a long-shot. This entire game is designed around capitalizing off of Go's success. Once again, they explicitly called it main-series, which by definition makes it not a spin-off. What you're doing right now is akin to calling a lemon an orange, just because they both have peels.
However your so-called 'main-series' not have a concrete definition, which will change to accommodate for the release of LGPE, hence your analogy is deemed invalid because there is a more solid and consistent definition among us for what an orange and a lemon is.

Xuxuba

Well...

Core game or not core game ... does it really matter at all? I mean , like gen 6.5 or gen 7 discussion.

Does it really matter all why you guys keep arguing?
Tbh, it does a little bit, since we use these terms often on pokemon discussions.

Flamer

I'm actually quite excited for this. It looks beautiful, Eevee and Pikachu riding on your shoulder are incredibly cute, and the co-op could be a lot of fun. Feels like we're getting the best of both worlds really. A Pokemon Switch game before the end of the year, and a 'proper' XY/SM style game to come. Much rather that than having to wait till 2019 for anything

My one gripe at this stage is having to use the gyroscope to catch Pokemon in handheld mode. Never been a big fan of motion controls that involve having to move the whole device. Would prefer to use the touchscreen, but maybe it'll work better in reality than how I'm imagining it in my head

TTNH03

Pokemon Researcher
No one ever, fan or Game Freak, has called Colosseum or XD mainline games. I can agree that perhaps we might have to make a new classification for Let's Go as something in the main series, but separated from everything else, but really, it shouldn't be in the same classification as spin-offs like Colosseum or XD, as these are not spin-offs.
There's plenty of people who are calling Colosseum and XD a mainline Pokemon title but it is not apart of the 'core' series.
I haven't seen any article where Game Freak says that either.

Even Bulbapedia doesn't list them as a spin-off title.
https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Spin-off_Pokémon_games

Either way, at least we can agree on that Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee is indeed not apart of the core titles.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
So I'm probably wrong but the reason I keep saying Pokemon Let's Go is an evolutionary step between Gen 7 and Gen 8 and not some Pokemon Go on home consoles is that I think Pokemon Let's Go true focus is trying to make the Pokemon journey with your Pokemon team in the Pokemon world feel alive as possible. A lot of the features shown in the trailer is actually in line with what GameFreak sees as innovation for the Pokemon series just on a much bigger scale than Pokemon Amie, Contests, or walking Pokemon alone. In many of GameFreak's interviews, they see these little mini games where you can bond with Pokemon as there way of innovation because it makes the Pokemon world or journey feel alive. Now there doing something similar with Let's Go, just more interactive with you, the Pokemon, and the world around you. Just something to think about.

BCVM22

Okay, so you think it's not going to be playable in these games? If that's the case, I would certainly agree with you. I had been basing my argument on the assumption that it's fully integrated into these games.

It will be or it won’t be, but that wasn’t really my point.

My point was that the thinking that places these games - and the new Pokémon that will appear in some form - within Generation VII comes chiefly from binary thinking that isn’t equipped to classify this new category of game. Once you shed that and accept that this game is a category all its own and doesn’t completely fit into notion of the traditional generations, it becomes much easier to discard the notion that we’d consider it a Generation VII Pokémon.

Furthermore, base it solely on the Pokédex if you want to. Zeraora is the final Generation VII (Kalos) Pokémon in the National Dex. The next one is, ostensibly, the Grass starter of the next region, though it’s possible it could be the wee Legendary like Victini. We wouldn’t consider either of those to be Kalos Pokémon, for obvious reasons, and once you get past that, you wouldn’t consider a Pokémon in the very middle of its region’s (its generation’s) portion of the National Dex as belonging to the previous generation, would you?

Zold

Pokémon Breeder
What precisely were you expecting from this, that you won’t get every bit of from Generation VIII a year and a half from now, that you go to hyperbole on the order of “this is the biggest disappointment in the history of Pokémon”?

Uh no, I would have loved a proper Gen 1 or Gen 4 remake. I don't like that they try to merge Pokémon GO with a console game and completely delete wild Pokémon battles, implement a catch mechanic I find boring and uninspired as well as add mechanics such as CP and completely get rid of online functionalities alltogether. With all that I haven't even mentioned that they go down from over 800 Pokémon back to 152.

In other words, GF removes many of the most fun elements of a game to appeal a wider audience: quantity over quality; cashgrab. Now, perhaps the future will prove differently, but as of now - to me - this game is a downgrade and without doubt the biggest dissapointment in the history of Pokémon.

BCVM22

You didn’t answer my question at all, that being “how is this a disappointment?” But that’s okay.

Again, you’re getting a core title next year that will likely have none of the stripped-down changes made specifically for LGP/E. They haven’t “gotten rid” of anything - they’ve made changes to the formula to create a new breed of game. You can keep waiting for the more traditional entry next year and in the meantime, here’s this game for people besides you to enjoy. What’s the harm? Why act offended that this game exists in the easily explained form that it does?

I get the sense some people would have been happier with a big old nothingburger this year, that they’re genuinely unhappy that this game exists even though you’re getting exactly what you want in 2019,and that puzzles me, to say the least.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
However your so-called 'main-series' not have a concrete definition, which will change to accommodate for the release of LGPE, hence your analogy is deemed invalid because there is a more solid and consistent definition among us for what an orange and a lemon is.

It does have a concrete meaning. It means anything that isn't a spin-off. Regardless, it doesn't matter if it has a concrete definition, because Game Freak themselves said that's what it is. If they considered it a spin-off, then they wouldn't have used the specific wording they did. They used that wording for the purpose of telling people that this isn't a spin-off, just as the used the exact same language back when they first announced Pokémon for Switch last E3.

There's plenty of people who are calling Colosseum and XD a mainline Pokemon title but it is not apart of the 'core' series.
I haven't seen any article where Game Freak says that either.

Even Bulbapedia doesn't list them as a spin-off title.
https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Spin-off_Pokémon_games

Either way, at least we can agree on that Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee is indeed not apart of the core titles.

Hmm... strange. Never seen or heard of them referred to like that myself before.

Digging around a little bit, it would appear that Bulbapedia classifies them as "side series games," which would imply they're tangentially related to the main series, but not a part of it. Of course, it's all fan definitions, so it's hard to say. We'd really have to hear Game Freak's stance on games like XD to know how they consider them. Still, I think the differences between this and the likes of Colosseum and XD are pretty clear.

shoz999

Uh no, I would have loved a proper Gen 1 or Gen 4 remake. I don't like that they try to merge Pokémon GO with a console game and completely delete wild Pokémon battles, implement a catch mechanic I find boring and uninspired as well as add mechanics such as CP and completely get rid of online functionalities alltogether. With all that I haven't even mentioned that they go down from over 800 Pokémon back to 152.

In other words, GF removes many of the most fun elements of a game to appeal a wider audience: quantity over quality; cashgrab. Now, perhaps the future will prove differently, but as of now - to me - this game is a downgrade and without doubt the biggest dissapointment in the history of Pokémon.
Honestly I think Let's Go is more quality over quantity but personally I think all Pokemon main series titles are quality over quantity. There's a reason why there's no such thing as an unpopular or hated generation or that fans are so divisive on which is the most popular game of all time. All of GameFreak's titles are quality over quantity, even the easy cash-grabs.

Zold

Pokémon Breeder
I wouldn't have minded this game if it wasn't a Yellow remake. This is the Gen 1 remake. I honestly don't think we will be getting a traditional Gen 1 Core RPG remake at all anymore - this is it. That's what the dissapointment is all about.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
It does have a concrete meaning. It means anything that isn't a spin-off. Regardless, it doesn't matter if it has a concrete definition, because Game Freak themselves said that's what it is. If they considered it a spin-off, then they wouldn't have used the specific wording they did. They used that wording for the purpose of telling people that this isn't a spin-off, just as the used the exact same language back when they first announced Pokémon for Switch last E3.
Except that meaning will adapt allow it to have a list of criteria LGPE will follow. To be realistic, it arose from a mistake I made earlier because in fact Game Freak is the developer of the LGPE games. It's just that it's the first time Game Freak developed a Pokémon game using the mechanics of a spin-off game.

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。
I wouldn't have minded this game if it wasn't a Yellow remake. This is the Gen 1 remake. I honestly don't think we will be getting a traditional Gen 1 Core RPG remake at all anymore - this is it. That's a major dissapointment.
https://twitter.com/eurogamer/status/1001649754919481344

We don't know if LGP/E are remakes of Yellow or 'inspired' by Yellow and a new game with a new story of its own as suggested by the tweet above. We will wait and see in due time.

shoz999

https://twitter.com/eurogamer/status/1001649754919481344

We don't know if LGP/E are remakes of Yellow or 'inspired' by Yellow and a new game with a new story of its own as suggested by the tweet above. We will wait and see in due time.
It's actually been confirmed at the presentation that the basis of Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu and Let's Go Eevee is Pokemon Yellow which appealed to children for adding interactive elements from the anime. Many of the new design choices and features your seeing are inspired by Pokemon Yellow. In fact they even explained that the reason they added some of those Pokemon Go features was because of Pokemon Yellow's appeal to children. Actually I'm not really quite sure about the logic behind Pokemon GO's features but that's apparently where many of brilliant and disappointing design choices came from.

Last edited:

BCVM22

That’s the point. “Inspired by” was the language used during the presentation, which is purposely vague language so as to suggest and allow for anything from “borrows a few elements from Yellow” to “direct pound for pound remake.”

I suspect the reality, as it so often is, is somewhere in the middle as opposed to either extreme.

VoltTacklingPika

This looks cute.

Honestly, if I had been told that this was going to be Gen 8, I would have been disappointed. However, the news that another core RPG title is coming out next year means I have to view this one in a completely different light. Now that I know it's its own thing, I'm perfectly okay with it.

I have questions that I'm sure will be answered in due time (mainly, how will removing wild Pokemon battles effect the balance of the game in terms of levelling? Will there be more trainer battles/more exp given in trainer battles? And so on.). Beyond that, I like the look of it. What really catches my eye is having Pokemon follow you again, this time with fully 3D models instead of sprites, on top of having a fully customisable Pikachu or Eevee out with you all the time. Also, riding on an Onix looks super cool. I think this will breath new life into the overworld and make the region feel that little bit more alive. It's building off what they did in Sun and Moon, only now the Switch's power allows them to have more going on at any one time.

The only thing that disappoints me right now is the removal of random encounters. The random element always added an extra bit of charm because you were never sure what could pop up. I hope this is something unique to this game (as something heavily inspire by Go) and not a new trend that'll be continued in Gen 8.

shoz999

That’s the point. “Inspired by” was the language used during the presentation, which is purposely vague language so as to suggest and allow for anything from “borrows a few elements from Yellow” to “direct pound for pound remake.”

I suspect the reality, as it so often is, is somewhere in the middle as opposed to either extreme.
To be honest you could say all of GameFreak's games has Pokemon Yellow's DNA. Again, part of there design philosophy is trying to make the Pokemon world or journey as alive or interactive as possible which now that I think about it, does stem from Pokemon Yellow's Pikachu.

Orphalesion

Well I think we do know already that in the beginning you guys are gonna get one of the three Kanto starters plus either Eevee or Pikachu, so we can already tell it's not a complete remake (since in yellow you get all three Kanto starters through story events). It would be kind of cool to see Jessie and James return (even with having not seen the anime since I was a child I still like those two characters, much more so than I ever liked any of the "heroes"), but right now I'm doubtful that will be the case.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
how will removing wild Pokemon battles effect the balance of the game in terms of levelling? Will there be more trainer battles/more exp given in trainer battles?
Although I do expect it will eventually be answered in due time, but for now it is shown in the video that the player's Pokémon do not have EXP meters shown in battle. Which I think that there is the possibility of Candy being in the game to level up Pokémon.

shoz999

Although I do expect it will eventually be answered in due time, but for now it is shown in the video that the player's Pokémon do not have EXP meters shown in battle. Which I think that there is the possibility of Candy being in the game to level up Pokémon.
Actually I think I heard somewhere that candies aren't in this game. Could be just speculation though.