• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Thoughts on the Upcoming Pokemon Switch Game?

Kage-Pikachu

As someone who started off with Gen 1 over 20 years ago, can I just say that every generation has brought out harsh critics and I sincerely hope Gamefreak are selective as to what feedback they listen to.

I'd like to see more non-linearity of the routes i.e. secret/new areas open up as you complete certain objectives within the game. I'd like to see backtracking made a part of the game again, and I'd like each route have some lore attached to it.

A longer post game. Perhaps, instead of a Battle Frontier, they have a Battle Training School where the mechanics of online competitive gaming are taught.
Would it be better if routes were made similar to some of the levels of Super Mario Oddysey? Much bigger and with lots of places to explore? I still think back to the wasted potential of Unnown's lair in G/S, it would have been so much more interesting if they added more content and motivation for catching the different Unnown.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Would it be better if routes were made similar to some of the levels of Super Mario Oddysey? Much bigger and with lots of places to explore?
Well yeah. Given how lackluster Poni Island was in Gen 7 considering that there was only one main area to explore there before the postgame and half of Poni Island was locked behind into the postgame so there wasn't as much variety in sights that can be seen there before the postgame. I usually like exploring to find items and doing so can allow for more variety of sights to see and explore so in the new Switch game I would like a wide variety of biomes and areas to explore.

Kage-Pikachu

It is true that the post game was pretty lackluster and there was little motivation to explore Poni Island (other than getting to the Battle Tree) after finishing the main story. I like the idea of hidden areas where rare Pokemon could be found. Like if the next game abandons random encounters then perhaps rare Pokemon can be found in hidden areas after doing puzzles or something instead of us running around for hours til one appears.

Baggie_Saiyan

It is true that the post game was pretty lackluster and there was little motivation to explore Poni Island (other than getting to the Battle Tree) after finishing the main story. I like the idea of hidden areas where rare Pokemon could be found. Like if the next game abandons random encounters then perhaps rare Pokemon can be found in hidden areas after doing puzzles or something instead of us running around for hours til one appears.
Totem Stickers were a good incentive to explore all areas and I definitely got my money's worth out of UM because of that, if they do something similar that would be great.

KHWoman

Hey there, just posting on this thread for the first time after seeing this Twitter storm
There are actually many many hints towards these 2 titles being true, or at the very least, the concept of it
(= Yellow remakes with Pokémon GO features in the Switch games)
I've been following this Pixelpar guy in April and couldn't make out his hidden hints, but many things make sense now, including the shot with Lapras/Eevee on the player's head/Gyarados fin in the water.
Guess we can just wait and see... If all those leaks are indeed true, announcement before the end of this month.

ebevan91

That "leak" was posted on 4chan on April 1st but it's still being talked about which is strange.

rocky505

This better be a Pokemon Stars moment all over again...

Either way fans are going to be complaining, probably worse than they did with USUM not being on Switch.

XanderCage

Loose Cannon Cop
It makes sense with Eevee having some kind of showcase in the next movie. But that could also be the thing fakes are trying to lean on to prove that this is true.

KHWoman

Why would there be so many complaints ? For the links with Go or for the "Kanto again"?
I was surprised at first but this could be a refreshing restart. Okay the names suck... But I remember thinking Sun and Moon sucked too, being very childish already, and how often do you say the game's name anyway.
Nintendo obviously wants to attract the people who stopped playing Pokémon a few gens ago, and keep playing Pokémon Go. This is a smart and safe bet.

If they to this properly (it can also support the "Kanto 100 years later" theory, so with a quite different-looking Kanto), with a few mixed regional Pokedexes (I'm not dreaming of 800+ Pokémon available from the start), why not a few new POkémon (enough to call it Gen 8, I'm not sure).... I'm digging this.

FrozTKnight

Will ORA ORA ORA you
I wonder what the GO mechanics would be.

Is it the throwing the Pokeball manually?
The Pokemon appearing in the over world?

KHWoman

I wonder what the GO mechanics would be.

Is it the throwing the Pokeball manually?
The Pokemon appearing in the over world?

I guess, the Pokéball throw for the captures is a given. Seems perfect for the Joycon capacities.
The leak also points at some "crossed rewards/quests" between Go and the Switch games.
It will probably go further than that but we'll just wait and see :)

Zold

Pokémon Breeder
Oh well, we will see. I don't want to judge so soon, but at first thought I'm like 'please no mix between Go and Core'. Still, I trust GameFreak can make something great within these restrictions.

That said I have my doubts if those rumours are true at all.

Rumours pointing towards it so far I've heard?
- The Let's Go Pikachu logo from 4chan
- Eevee on top of the hat of a Lapras
- Eevee having a 'major role' in the next movie
- Junichi Masuda posting a lot of Eevee/Pikachu images on his twitter.
- First line of anime opening theme (Oooh, oooooooh, Let's Go!)
- PixelArts twitter posts
- Emily's (twitter) posts
- JynxClub twitter posts

I mean it surely are quite some different sources, but eh...

Last edited:

Xuxuba

I truly wouldn't mind a Yellow+Go rehash for the 3ds.

But for the Nintendo Switch? The 500 dollars console i bought just for these games?

I think next months will be decisive on whether i keep this console...

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
I am guessing, if this proves true, that it's a gen 7 spinoff title. Generation 8 would still happen for the Switch, just later, and be closer to other main series titles. (After all, moving too far away from the formula that makes Pokemon the 2nd best selling VG franchise would be... weird). Or it's a different take on Yellow and main series, but nonetheless gen 7. I feel spinoff though, in part of the (not very well supported) mechanic change rumours, and moreso making a same gen main series game on a different console to others strikes me as odd.

I wrote a summary of the various sources/reasons why this has blown up here, in case people want to know more about said rumours. https://daily.pokecommunity.com/2018/05/15/unconfirmed-pokemon-lets-go-pikachu-eevee-next-titles/ Looking forward to seeing if this turns out real or not. At any rate, let's not get too upset about rumours just yet, to the point of discussing selling our Switch consoles when we know no official information about the games. =p

ebevan91

But for the Nintendo Switch? The 500 dollars console i bought just for these games?

Honestly I think I bought mine too early. Really all I have for mine is Zelda BOTW, Mario Kart 8, and Xenoblade Chronicles 2. I'm excited for Octopath Traveler as well but I really probably could have waited for the end of this year or early next year to buy it. I only bought it when I did because I got 25% off.

KHWoman

IF these "Let's Go Eevee and Let's Go Pikachu" are only remakes (I think it will be more than that. If the whole of the Kanto region is totally under the sea or whatnot, and you don't recognize anything, can you say it's a remake?), then I think we can be confident there will be an 8th generation in 2/3 years, still on the Switch.

However, this Kanto might be so different (in a 100 years theory) that "current" Pokémon cohabit with new ones, hence 8th gen.