• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Thoughts on the Upcoming Pokemon Switch Game?

Orphalesion

If it's a Kanto remake and a game based around the yellow pissrat, I literally have zero interest in getting it. I also don't care about any Pokemon Go mechanics.
Would kind of suck to have the first Pokemon Switch game be a Spinnoff/Remake but oh well...

Totem Stickers were a good incentive to explore all areas and I definitely got my money's worth out of UM because of that, if they do something similar that would be great.

I don't think they were, again I didn't get USUM but even so...I'm playing Pokemon to catch Pokemon and battle, not to collect stickers.

Red and Blue

As much as i don't want it to be true, I'm starting to accept that the first Switch games are likely to be Kanto remakes.

I just hope there isn't too much of a huge gap between now and the actual Gen 8 games.

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。
Honestly, I can't see the SM anime going anywhere with the current plot, so I'm wondering how the anime will be tied between the new generation of Switch games, if the games are indeed the Kanto remakes. Personally, I'm indifferent to the idea of having a new generation or a remake, but I never had sympathy towards Kanto and I'd too be very uninterested if it's just all about throwing an unimproved Kanto to the Switch games for the sake of releasing a new game to the new console.

Orphalesion

It just sucks so freaking much if it's true. Like I'm pretty miffed about it right now, porbably a bit more than I should be about a video game.

But seriously.... BLARGH! BLARGH! *censored* BLARGH. *censored* Kanto with *censored* *censored* Pikachu *censored* *censored *censored* Gen 1 *censored* *censored* Nostalgiaholics *censored* *censored*

Blargh...

I'm just miffed that I now have to wait potentially multiple more years for the next gen, I was hoping I'd get to have one more Gen during my Uni days. :-(

Bus

Whoa, where's all this Kanto remake speculation came from? Did we hear something that is making it more likely? I thought we were all sure it was to be a whole new generation altogether?

I mean, I get why, if it were to be a remake, it would be Gen 1 since it would be the first time on a Console, but is that really possible? Diamond/Pearl should be the next ones up for remakes...unless that's just a cutoff at which they've decided doesn't need to be redone. When Red/Blue were remade as Fire & Leaf, the Physical/Special Split hadn't happened and it was still 2D Sprite based as opposed to 3D. Hopefully, if they do decide to give us Kanto remakes, it'll be connected to Johto so we can at least have the both of them...otherwise, no matter how pretty it looks on a new gen, I don't think it'd be worth it.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Hey there, just posting on this thread for the first time after seeing this Twitter storm
There are actually many many hints towards these 2 titles being true, or at the very least, the concept of it
(= Yellow remakes with Pokémon GO features in the Switch games)
I've been following this Pixelpar guy in April and couldn't make out his hidden hints, but many things make sense now, including the shot with Lapras/Eevee on the player's head/Gyarados fin in the water.
Guess we can just wait and see... If all those leaks are indeed true, announcement before the end of this month.
Yea if it does incorporate Go features, I hope it lets us trade Pokemon that we caught in Go over to the game itself along with being able to trade items over to Go. I'd rather not have to buy items with real world money.

Zold

Pokémon Breeder
By the way, is it just me or is there like a faded gradient image in the green letters? It looks like there's a Meowth in there to me, but maybe I'm imagining things.

Vivian

Gen 1 had a genetic theme that I wish was more explored. DNA is mentioned more times in gen 1 pokedex than in others. Mewtwo would be the cover legendary if there were cover legendaries on gen 1, and its created through cloning. Ditto changes its DNA to match others, eevee has unstable DNA , so that it might evolve into many different forms. If there will be kanto remakes to switch soon, they should make something like delta episode from ORAS to explore the post game UBER legendary ( this group includes mewtwo , rayquaza, giratina, kyurem, zygarde, necrozma). In generations 3, 4, 5 and 7, post game uber legendaries were explored inside the same generation. The gen 6 zygarde received a subquest in sun moon that is fairly long, although many say it could be better and that there could be a Z episode. In generations 5,6 and 7 , the post game uber legendary only became uber after this further exploration .But mewtwo never received this kind of exploration in any main game. Its just in some cave to be caught. But a gen 1 remake could do this , putting a mewtwo episode in wich mewtwo want your help to save the failed mew clones, and a ditto could be one of them. So they could make an entire generation of failed mew clones .

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Would kind of suck to have the first Pokemon Switch game be a Spinnoff/Remake but oh well...

Yeah, I'm pretty sure this is Gen VII..

To disagree with you that it sucks, remember that one of the criticisms of XY was that they felt lacking in content/lacking in postgame.. some people even call them unfinished....

at the time moving to the 3DS was the biggest change so far in Pokémon history.. trying to make so many new Pokémon and a new region/new lore etc., while also making this huge leap to 3D was what probably caused this "unfinished" nature that some felt out of the XY games.

So if the first Switch game is a remake, it's probably a good thing since they don't have to worry about new region, new Pokémon, etc.
They can just spend (and have spent, obviously, past tense) all their time focusing on the new engine. This might lead to avoiding the pitfalls of XY.

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
I wish people would stop throwing around the word "remake". "Remake" implies it will be the same story as Red and Blue, just like FireRed and LeafGreen were, with some possible expansion on the originals.

It's more likely that these are brand new games with enough familiar aspects of the first games to attract old players that dropped the series after Red and Blue or Gold and Silver, while at the same time, providing enough new and unique gameplay for new and long time fans of the series. Just like Pokemon Go did two summers ago.

Even if it is a "remake", I'll be fine with the original region as the first on the Switch.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
I'm not a fan. The titles are uninspired and childish, bringing in Pokemon GO elements is a bad idea, and it is quite small for the first home console Pokemon game. It will also mean that they will have to drag out the SM anime, and I don't see them going into 2019/2020 at the pace that they're going at.

Tsukuyomi56

Sky High Knight
If these rumours end up been true it is likely these games are an easy pass for me. Unless they change when you get the evolution stones it screws over those who want their Eevee to become a Vaporeon/Jolteon/Flareon (in the case of the Eevee version). Including Pokemon Go mechanics may also not be appealing to some (a bit afraid it may be the main means to catch Pokemon).

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
If these rumours end up been true it is likely these games an easy pass for me. Unless they change when you get the evolution stones it screws over those who want their Eevee to become a Vaporeon/Jolteon/Flareon (in the case of the Eevee version). Including Pokemon Go mechanics may also not be appealing to some (a bit afraid it may be the main means to catch Pokemon).
Yea that wouldn't be good if they try to make things location based. That wouldn't be convenient if people had to travel a lot to be able to get everything.

Ultra Beast Lover

I liked Pokemon Yellow but...ugh I hated Kanto! Half the time I didn't know what I was doing, the mom's just like, "Yep, ten year olds go on a journey." Gary was strangely the only character I liked despite hating him in the anime because he was the only actual character. The Gym leaders were useless against Team Rocket like Sabrina why are you letting them run rampant through your city? The police did absolutely nothing, the Elite Four were even more useless like I see why Red left and became silent and to top it all off no one says anything when you singehandedly saved the region!

Sorry if I got anything wrong it's been years since I played the games. In summary, if this is Kanto based and Pokemon Go based I'm skipping it. Sorry but no, I'd rather play through Johto again at least that was fun.

Milennin

*hugs Absol*
If it's just a remake of the first games but with shinier graphics, I have no interest in it. I've already played the originals and the GBA remakes a bunch of times.

What I would be interested in is them treating it like a new generation, but set in the Kanto region. Keep the main characters, and the general plot outline of the originals, but build on top of that without being afraid of doing new things. I'd like to see a lot more optional side-quests. More room for exploration (possibly (semi) open world with dynamic level scaling) and letting you choose your own path. Add in additional areas to go to, new Pokémon to find. Mini-games. Interesting NPCs that aren't nameless nobodies. Anything that is new and not just taken from the originals, really.
I want less railroading. Less long, drawn-out cutscenes that are just dialogue. Less copy/pasting from the games I've already played.

Orphalesion

So if the first Switch game is a remake, it's probably a good thing since they don't have to worry about new region, new Pokémon, etc.
They can just spend (and have spent, obviously, past tense) all their time focusing on the new engine. This might lead to avoiding the pitfalls of XY.

Pretty sure the people who design stuff (which is the only thing, that would fall away, partially, if they reuse the maps and Pokemon from Red/Blue and even then you'd need to get designers in to create the updated look) aren't the same who do the technical aspects of the game or the engine to run on a new system, so them making a remake would have very little to do with Gen VIII "avoiding the pitfalls of XY"
Especially since updating Kanto and the Blue/Red/Yellow storyline to get close to modern regions would be pretty much just as much work as creating a new region. The only thing that would fall away (mostly) would be the concept phase, and that's not the biggest part of a project like that.

Yea that wouldn't be good if they try to make things location based. That wouldn't be convenient if people had to travel a lot to be able to get everything.

If they do stuff like restricting access to Pokemon to certain real life countries/regions/continent, then I'm don with the Franchise.
Unless it's stuff like Mythicals or Legendaries (or the Vivillion patterns), which I don't care about too much.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
If it's just a remake of the first games but with shinier graphics, I have no interest in it. I've already played the originals and the GBA remakes a bunch of times.

What I would be interested in is them treating it like a new generation, but set in the Kanto region. Keep the main characters, and the general plot outline of the originals, but build on top of that without being afraid of doing new things. I'd like to see a lot more optional side-quests. More room for exploration (possibly (semi) open world with dynamic level scaling) and letting you choose your own path. Add in additional areas to go to, new Pokémon to find. Mini-games. Interesting NPCs that aren't nameless nobodies. Anything that is new and not just taken from the originals, really.
I want less railroading. Less long, drawn-out cutscenes that are just dialogue. Less copy/pasting from the games I've already played.
It would also be interesting if they make a subplot revolving around Mewtwo and Mew. Maybe actually go more into detail with their backstory and all.

Storm the Lycanroc

Oshawott Squad
I figure people are so desperate for news regarding "Pokemon Switch" they're stringing all these rumors and leaks together. With all the evidence shown I believe it to be false.

Remember when people expected an announcement for Z Version or Stars? Well neither of those ever came so I remain skeptical on this rumor until we get an official announcement from Nintendo.

Everything12

At first, I was kinda miffed at the whole Kanto revisiting thing myself, but after seeing all this stuff for Pokemon LeGO and taking some time to think about it, I might get it, probably the Eevee version, as long as it doesn't try and change the genre to Action RPG or something dumb like that at least.