• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Thoughts on the Upcoming Pokemon Switch Game?

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
People need to stop jumping to conclusions, making assumptions, and pretending they already know what these games entail. Stop assuming the worst and putting out so much rage. Speculate to your heart’s content, sure, but no one cares if you’ve already decided you’re not buying another Kanto game. No one cares if you’re tired of “Kanto pandering”. We don’t even know for sure that these games are set in Kanto. We don’t know that there won’t be new Pokémon.

All we know for sure is that Game Freak is developing the next core title on the Switch, Game Freak and the Pokémon Company have been hyping Pikachu and Eevee for at least half a year, and the same company that Nintendo used to preserve the domains for Sun and Moon has preserved the domains for “Let’s Go Pikachu” and “Let’s Go Eevee”.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
People need to stop jumping to conclusions, making assumptions, and pretending they already know what these games entail. Stop assuming the worst and putting out so much rage. Speculate to your heart’s content, sure, but no one cares if you’ve already decided you’re not buying another Kanto game. No one cares if you’re tired of “Kanto pandering”. We don’t even know for sure that these games are set in Kanto. We don’t know that there won’t be new Pokémon.

All we know for sure is that Game Freak is developing the next core title on the Switch, Game Freak and the Pokémon Company have been hyping Pikachu and Eevee for at least half a year, and the same company that Nintendo used to preserve the domains for Sun and Moon has preserved the domains for “Let’s Go Pikachu” and “Let’s Go Eevee”.
As I mentioned earlier, the two paired versions have their own separate website domains, which is heavily unusual.

MewsTruck

Unfortunately nobody can be happy just for the fact that pokemon games are still being released in some shape or form. They could have stopped at gen 1 and we all would be here speculating the "what if"... no game would be what everyone wants.

Im sure gonna get hate probably for stating this but for example i honestly think the little film maker in gen 5 was dumb. I feel like the HMs are dumb. I feel trade evos are dumb. I feel contest are dumb. I feel alot more things are dumb and alot more things are gonna be dumb in the future games. But we will all be back yet again talking about our team builds and breeding tactics and so forth... we all love pokemon at the end of the day and all have different opinions. Lets just be happy for a new step from a gameboy ds console to almost basically a home console.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Lets just be happy for a new step from a gameboy ds console to almost basically a home console.
Well yeah there's at least something in the new games that could make someone happy at least. It's just that people just don't want the main game to be set in Kanto because they think anything Kanto-related is forced upon the fans to the point it's nostalgia-pandering. But still Game Freak has to attract more fans to the game because Pokémon loses just as many fans but at least Game Freak could still make the most out of Kanto.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Well yeah there's at least something in the new games that could make someone happy at least. It's just that people just don't want the main game to be set in Kanto because they think anything Kanto-related is forced upon the fans to the point it's nostalgia-pandering. But still Game Freak has to attract more fans to the game because Pokémon loses just as many fans but at least Game Freak could still make the most out of Kanto.
And even then, there's more factors as to why people are mad. The titles are too childish and sound more like spinoff titles and the game could get more casualized with the addition of Pokemon Go elements. I heard that the leak said that the game will use Pokemon Go's capture mechanics in place of the regular capture mechanics.

.Aerodactyl.

I don't mind the titles actually. It's refreshing to hear something different, and if they are remakes I actually think it's nicer then something like "Electric Yellow". But I do understand how others might not like them. Just a matter of personal taste is all.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
I'm sorry but as @Orphalesion says the generations are the Pokémon themselves. If there are 0 new Pokémon in this game, it's not Gen VIII regardless of hardware. Hardware is irrelevant to the definitions of generations. It's just a fact, but not a definition, that we have not yet had a single generation cross over from one system to another in the middle of the gen.

Since they didn't do this the last 4 times it would have made sense to, I don't see them doing it now. Not sure where all the wild speculation on this thread is coming from, frankly.

Yes, and like OI and Da! Every odd-numbered generation has had a filler arc

???

Learn math

Actually it definitely could be the case that Gen VIII won't come out until 2020. If you look at Gen IV as the example, it had games release in 2006, 2008, and 2009, but not 2007. A 4-year gen can have 3 game releases with one gap year. If that's the case with Gen VII, its 3 years of game releases could be 2016, 2017, 2018, with 2019 being a gap year. (if it is a 4-year gen)

And to add on to your point, here's a full list. https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/...Pokémon_that_appeared_before_their_generation

Only issue with this being a full on 4 year is where the anime is right now. Let's say this is a Gen 1 remake with nothing new except being on Switch and in HD. Let us also assume they wrap with Ultra by the end of the year. That would mean like a year 1/2 of nothing. I mean an anime only region with me is totally fine but it would be weird in this case since Ash's classmates would likely not go. I mean personally I hate his classmates so if it was just Ash doing an anime only region I'd be down but I fear fans would rage.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I heard that the leak said that the game will use Pokemon Go's capture mechanics in place of the regular capture mechanics.

Think of it less as supplanting, and more of adding. There's no way that they remove the battle aspect of capturing Pokémon, seeing as battling is the core gameplay aspect of the franchise. With that in mind, if this rumor turns out to be true, then what it probably means is that we'll battle wild Pokémon like normal, and then once we select Pokéball from the menu, we'll be given the ability to toss the Pokéballs ourselves, either with the touchscreen or the Joy-Con's motion controls.

.Aerodactyl.

Think of it less as supplanting, and more of adding. There's no way that they remove the battle aspect of capturing Pokémon, seeing as battling is the core gameplay aspect of the franchise. With that in mind, if this rumor turns out to be true, then what it probably means is that we'll battle wild Pokémon like normal, and then once we select Pokéball from the menu, we'll be given the ability to toss the Pokéballs ourselves, either with the touchscreen or the Joy-Con's motion controls.

This is what I think will happen too. I could also see it being that you can now see the wild Pokémon you're about to fight in the overworld, like in go.

Every year since XY they say they're going to "simplfy" the battle system, and everyone panics, but they never change the core battle style. They just do things like make EV's seeable, breeding for IV's is easier, battle boxes prep teams, you see type effectiveness in the attack screen, hyper training, poke pelego training EV's, etc. I think that's the kind of simplification we will see. Stuff that doesn't change the core battling but makes it easier and accessible. So I dount GO intergration will change that.

Last edited:

Tsukuyomi56

Sky High Knight
As I mentioned earlier, the two paired versions have their own separate website domains, which is heavily unusual.
This could make the rumours a bit suspicious, while the differences between the two games could end up as drastic as Fire Emblem Birthright/Conquest, said games share the same website as opposed to separate Birthright/Conquest websites. It is possible the credibility of the "leaker" is currently causing a mass panic attack among the Pokémon fanbase.

MewsTruck

Its just crazy that people are bashing a company that developed atleast 1 out of many pokemon games they like, and bashing them because of rumors.... nothings been said from officials except they are working on a main pokemon game for switch. Period. Be happy for that and not upset about rumors. Instead of being upset and worrying about rumors, we could be playing one of the gens we like until an official announcement is made...

Sorry had to vent, one of the reasons they make pokemon the way it is in the 1st place was to bring people together.......

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
I think a thing everyone is missing is the concept of what makes a generation and the fact up till now it was on a handheld. It is very possible the concept of what fans know as a Gen is going to be destroyed and GameFreak are taking a new approach to the home console era. Personally I'd be cool with how Digimon games are done over the old way but that could be due to the fact I like the new characters,interactions,challenge and story over new pokemon. Like personally if we got a Pokemon game but like Persona (school life,drama and dating sim) but with Pokemon tossed in I'd be ready Day 1 to get it. Actually I'm curious if GameFreak would ever make a game for older fans with a more mature plot. Like have a game for kids and one for adults. I know Digimon was for kids at one point but the more recent games seemed aimed at teens at least.

Bubbles18

The Crazy Eevee Lady
I just want more Eeveelutions because I'm a sucker for Eevee. I wouldn't mind the chance to have a Pokemon outside it's Pokeball - like HeartGold & SoulSilver, where you could walk around with a Pokemon. Especially if you can have Eevee/Pikachu on your shoulder.

I'm hoping we'll get a fair amount of Pokemon to catch - like sometimes you get certain Pokemon in one Gen but not in another.

I wonder if they will give us some Aloha type Pokemon - like with Vulpix and Sandshrew. Will they give us other region type of Pokemon?

But I did see a rumour that the catching aspect was going to be similar to Pokemon Go (You throw the ball) so I'm curious to see how they would work that in. Should be interesting at least though.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
I just want more Eeveelutions because I'm a sucker for Eevee. I wouldn't mind the chance to have a Pokemon outside it's Pokeball - like HeartGold & SoulSilver, where you could walk around with a Pokemon. Especially if you can have Eevee/Pikachu on your shoulder.

I'm hoping we'll get a fair amount of Pokemon to catch - like sometimes you get certain Pokemon in one Gen but not in another.

I wonder if they will give us some Aloha type Pokemon - like with Vulpix and Sandshrew. Will they give us other region type of Pokemon?

But I did see a rumour that the catching aspect was going to be similar to Pokemon Go (You throw the ball) so I'm curious to see how they would work that in. Should be interesting at least though.

I can't see it being much different than just that. Like you have the option to use the joycon to throw it. I don't see it being any more different than that. TBH in the main game you kinda do catch pokemon the same way as GO as it is. I've caught pokemon many times jsut by chucking balls without weaking them.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
There is a third domain (letsgopikachuletsgoeevee.com) reigstered by CSC, which is the company that registered Nintendo.com and the Sun/Moon domain (and probably various others). The other two will most likely redirect to this domain.

Interesting. Do you have any idea if this domain was registered before, after, or at the same time as the other two?

Ariki

Would it be better if routes were made similar to some of the levels of Super Mario Oddysey? Much bigger and with lots of places to explore? I still think back to the wasted potential of Unnown's lair in G/S, it would have been so much more interesting if they added more content and motivation for catching the different Unnown.

Yes! Bigger routes and an emphasis on exploration with rewards (and I mean substantial rewards) would be great. Or may be have new areas open up as certain milestones are met to encourage back tracking....

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
They were all registered last Tuesday following the logo leak.

Okay. I ask because if this third one was registered after the other two, it would make it seem more likely that it's a faker realizing a flaw in their fake and attempting to address it. Having them all registered at the same time removes the doubt that the two separate domain thing added. Still not confirmed, of course, but it would seem that we're back to where we where when we first found out about the domains, whatever that means.