• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Thoughts on the Upcoming Pokemon Switch Game?

William12123

The First Poke-Civer
Leak image

What bugged me was the lapras. The image didnt show lapras's fins, but it DID show a gyarados underwater? That was strange to me.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord

Well, it certainly sounds like an interesting direction to go in. I'd definitely be down for a story-intensive Pokémon game. That being said, this doesn't seem trustworthy in the slightest. When something hits the notes of what so many people have been asking for, but has never been done, you really have to question how authentic it is. Plus, the fact that this is coming after all the other rumors makes it suspect. It's easy to do a write-up like this after the fact.

Also, the guy claims to work for Nintendo, not Game Freak. How would someone working for Nintendo know so much about a Game Freak-developed game?

Yay! I'm just excited to hear that this is fake! I want more Pokemon in Kanto.

As much as we may want it to be true, technically, it's just another rumor. There's no more validity in a rumor saying there will be more than the original 151 than there is saying there won't be. Either way it's a leak of unknown validity. Just because you like it better, doesn't mean you should believe it more.

One bit I like from this is the ability to transfer guys from Go. But it still sounds too good to be true.

I think it's safe to assume that we'll be able to transfer from Go, regardless of the rumor. There's already a symbol that will be placed on Pokémon transferred from Go in the coding of Gen VII games, and it has been officially discussed as a feature we'll be getting eventually.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
I read on Twitter that the only 150 thing was fake sooooo yeah... personally I'd be cool with it but it would be weird for Eevee assuming you can evolve Eevee and Pikachu to begin with.

MewsTruck

Yeah that whole thing about not being able to evolve eevee went out the window for me. I cant see them forcing both pikachu and eevee not to evolve. If its not out this year atleast i would be able to catch up on other switch games. Cause when this comes out, say goodbye to my other games

-Raiga-

I don't know if some of the incorrect stuff was purposefully wrong info as much as it was stuff getting lost in a game of telephone.

Like, I remember there being stuff about a second professor in that one XY leak, which sounds more like they were confused by Sycamore's role than deliberately put in something false.

Yep, that's exactly what I think happens too. People forget that the people leaking this info, 95% of the time, aren't people working on the games. They're friends, relatives, etc of people who are. I.e. their info is second hand and subject to being off. Case and point, in gen.4, the starter's basis's were leaked by some dude who took a tour of the gamefreak office. He correctly got that chimchar was a monkey, and that piplup was a penguin, but got the basis of turtwig wrong. That doesn't mean his info was wrong, he just didn't know.

TTNH03

Pokemon Researcher
Yeah, that sounds like a dream game really.
I would love it if that happens but I don't think you should raise your expectation that high since you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

I've always firmly believed that RGBY/GSC were one timeline (I once heard it referred to as the Glitched Timeline, due to the abundance of glitches, which the person then tried to justify in-universe due to the time travel from the Time Capsule causing this timeline to self-collapse, explaining lack of connectivity to future games), and then we all know RSE/FrLg/DPPt/HgSs/BWB2W2 are another timeline (the Prime Timeline, comprising 5 of the 7 regions), with OrAs/XY/SMUsUm being the current and final timeline, known as the Mega Timeline (due to the presence of Mega Evolution and AZ's War).
Hmm, that's interesting.
I've always believed that there are 3 different timelines because of the Link Cable technology.

Still, it's always good to see other people believe that there are 3 timelines to the Pokemon series. I think I've spent too much time watching youtubers or random posters talking about only having 2 timelines that I got annoyed by it. Maybe I should stay in this forum after all, lol.

BlackButterfree

Hmm, that's interesting.
I've always believed that there are 3 different timelines because of the Link Cable technology.

Still, it's always good to see other people believe that there are 3 timelines to the Pokemon series. I think I've spent too much time watching youtubers or random posters talking about only having 2 timelines that I got annoyed by it. Maybe I should stay in this forum after all, lol.

Well, in a YouTube video that's trying to be concise and for beginners, it's easier to simplify the three into two, since FrLg/HgSs aren't as extremely different from RGBY/GSC as OrAs are to RSE, so it's easier to just coalesce those pairs with their remakes.

It's even more complicated when you realize that Colosseum and XD, and the three Ranger games are all part of the Prime Timeline, and that there's even more timelines (Pokémon Mystery Dungeon, which I've often speculated is a reality where AZ's War wiped out the majority of the human race due to the primitive human settlements and presence of humans both in the distant past and near future, the various anime such as Ash's story, Origins and Generations, and the various manga).

The Pokémon Multiverse is pretty vast, and to just condense it down into the two main timelines in the games is probably the most ideal solution.

Honestly, the one thing I'm most excited for is to see how these new games fit into the timeline. I honestly hope they're not set 100 years in the future, though.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Yeah, that sounds like a dream game really.
I would love it if that happens but I don't think you should raise your expectation that high since you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

Hmm, that's interesting.

Well, for now we have the multiverse, and from what Maxie and Archie implied in ORAS, each version of a Pokémon game may itself be its own world.

I'll never forget what they say after you calm Kyogre/Groudon, "Perhaps in a another world, one only a fraction of an inch removed from our own, it could have been us standing against you in battle." They're literally talking about the other respective version. Perhaps it's less about timelines, and more about worlds. Maybe it's just all separate worlds we are playing in.

TTNH03

Pokemon Researcher
Well, in a YouTube video that's trying to be concise and for beginners, it's easier to simplify the three into two, since FrLg/HgSs aren't as extremely different from RGBY/GSC as OrAs are to RSE, so it's easier to just coalesce those pairs with their remakes.

It's even more complicated when you realize that Colosseum and XD, and the three Ranger games are all part of the Prime Timeline, and that there's even more timelines (Pokémon Mystery Dungeon, which I've often speculated is a reality where AZ's War wiped out the majority of the human race due to the primitive human settlements and presence of humans both in the distant past and near future, the various anime such as Ash's story, Origins and Generations, and the various manga).

The Pokémon Multiverse is pretty vast, and to just condense it down into the two main timelines in the games is probably the most ideal solution.

Honestly, the one thing I'm most excited for is to see how these new games fit into the timeline. I honestly hope they're not set 100 years in the future, though.
I guess I can understand that. I also think that another reason why these people think that there are 2 timelines is because they've started playing the GBA/DS series first. They could also have played the older gen games but missed out on the tidbits of information for it.
I'm a bit picky when it comes to small tidbits of information.

I posted on the forum where they speculated about the 3 timelines but the main catch here is that Johto in GBC introduced a lot of things to the series while the GBA series brushed it off as already being discovered.

It's weird about the 100-year thing because there are other rumours speculating that Red and Blue are in the games too. So it cannot be 100 years into the future unless they pulled another Anabel thing.

Well, for now we have the multiverse, and from what Maxie and Archie implied in ORAS, each version of a Pokémon game may itself be its own world.

I'll never forget what they say after you calm Kyogre/Groudon, "Perhaps in a another world, one only a fraction of an inch removed from our own, it could have been us standing against you in battle." They're literally talking about the other respective version. Perhaps it's less about timelines, and more about worlds. Maybe it's just all separate worlds we are playing in.
Oh yeah, I remembered that too.

That felt like it made a mess of things even more to be honest but I get the multiverse thing too. It's also pretty much trying to tell you that this world that you're in is yours only and that you are the main character in it.

Kung Fu Ferret

The Usurper
I'm pretty sure I've said this multiple times but, I want the let's go thing to just be some sort of spinoff. Maybe make the actual generation 8 named something a little more Epic. Maybe biomes? I'd love to see Pokemon Tundra and Pokemon Savanna.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I guess I can understand that. I also think that another reason why these people think that there are 2 timelines is because they've started playing the GBA/DS series first. They could also have played the older gen games but missed out on the tidbits of information for it.
I'm a bit picky when it comes to small tidbits of information.

The reason for the two timelines being brought up more than three is that that's all that's been directly confirmed in-universe, via Zinnia's statement about the other Hoenn in the Delta Episode. It's very possible that Gen I and II form their own timeline as well, we just haven't had any solid in-universe hints that that's the case.

That felt like it made a mess of things even more to be honest but I get the multiverse thing too. It's also pretty much trying to tell you that this world that you're in is yours only and that you are the main character in it.

I wouldn't look at it like that. Once you introduce the concept of the multiverse, you pretty much have to be open to the concept of an infinite multiverse. And once you have an infinite multiverse, not only is very version its own timeline, but every player's save file. If anything though, it's always been like this. The fact that two versions of the same player character can trade Pokémon, implies that there's some sort of multiversal shenanigans going on. Throw in the fact that Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire used the Link Cable as a literal in-universe portal to another universe, and that essentially confirms that when you're trading with another player using the Link Cable that you're actual trading across universes.

And if you want actual proof that each version is in its own universe, Sun and Moon's Ultra Wormhole to another world where day and night is reversed (aka, the opposite version's world) essentially proved that each version takes place in a separate universe.

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。
https://twitter.com/JoeMerrick/status/999158365426241536

A dockless-version of Nintendo Switch Bundle 2 is soon to be released in Japan. It makes you wonder why you'd not need a Dock, as if some games might not connect with the TV, and Pokemon could be one of them. If so, it also debunks the leaks of Nintendo employee saying the game looks much better in the TV than it does on console. An idea, but might be worthy to note and speculate.

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member

1. Wayyyyyy too much information. Tell me ONE leak this long that ends up having everything in it be correct. There's none.

2. "Everyone else are fake news", "I'm risking my job/leaving my job soon", "you will see I'm right", are stuff that newbie fake leakers usually use to attract attention. Notice how real leakers never say such thing. You just get the information, that's all.

3. Contradicting point. Says the game will take place in Kanto and ???, but way later on in a different post, he mentioned Johto. As if he forgot he wrote "???" way earlier. Also, you can't make Pikachu and Eevee "equal" like he said at the beginning of the post, if Eevee gets a new evolution. People would've pick the Eevee version instead since you can easily get something new. I believe Eevee would get a new evolution in gen 8, but I feels like, in a twist, it won't be available right away. Kinda like the new UBs in US/UM. If you want them to be treated as equal for now, you'd want a set of games that actually does treat them as equal first, and when promotion time is over, then you give Eevee its new evolution.

4. Plus and Minus have always been fanmade ideas, not leaked concepts that went unused.

Last edited:

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
https://twitter.com/JoeMerrick/status/999158365426241536

A dockless-version of Nintendo Switch Bundle 2 is soon to be released in Japan. It makes you wonder why you'd not need a Dock, as if some games might not connect with the TV, and Pokemon could be one of them. If so, it also debunks the leaks of Nintendo employee saying the game looks much better in the TV than it does on console. An idea, but might be worthy to note and speculate.

Do you know how the Switch works? It wouldn't be possible to have a game that only works in handheld mode. And regardless of that, it just wouldn't make any sense. The Switch is designed to be a hybrid handheld-console experience. To make games that can only be played in handheld mode run completely contrary to that core idea.

To answer your question, the reason they would release it without the dock is because the dock costs a significant amount of money, but is technically an optional item, as the Switch is fully functional without it. Releasing it without the dock allows people who only care about playing in handheld mode get the system for cheaper. It's not about not needing a dock, it's about not wanting a dock.

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。
Do you know how the Switch works? It wouldn't be possible to have a game that only works in handheld mode. And regardless of that, it just wouldn't make any sense. The Switch is designed to be a hybrid handheld-console experience. To make games that can only be played in handheld mode run completely contrary to that core idea.

To answer your question, the reason they would release it without the dock is because the dock costs a significant amount of money, but is technically an optional item, as the Switch is fully functional without it. Releasing it without the dock allows people who only care about playing in handheld mode get the system for cheaper. It's not about not needing a dock, it's about not wanting a dock.
I am aware how the Switch works. Does that mean 'all' games due release for the console have to have the connectivity between the handheld and TV? It is sort of Sun/Moon being on 3DS despite having the non-existent 3D overworld like XY, and unlike XY during battle scenes. Yes, going against at it would breach the core idea of it regardless.

You need Dock to connect the handheld to TV via HDMI, but you're saying Switch is fully functional without a Dock so, it can very well work without having to connect it to a bigger screen. So, it indeed is 'optional' for people to play which mode they prefer to. I can see the possibility of them creating games only for the handheld mode despite I agree with you about it breaching the purpose of Switch.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I really hate this part of the Pokemon cycle. One part of you say that the leaks are most likely fake, but the other part wishes them to be real.
True. It's also hard to deal with the leaks that generate your inner hype for the game and at the same time trying to keep your expectations low in case in some part these leaks turn out to be fake.

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
At least one game already exists that isn’t compatible with docked mode. I’m pretty sure it was an indie game, but it is already a possibility. They won’t do that with Pokémon; too many people want to play it on their tv.