• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Thoughts on the Upcoming Pokemon Switch Game?

BlackButterfree

I am confused. Just found out about these articles. The thing is. GameFreak is saying these are part of the main series, an expansion. They just aren't Generation 8. Well I'm lost.

They are not Generation 8, as those are coming out next year. They aren't technically Generation 7, as they're not 3DS games. They are main series, as they're an RPG and a remake of a main series game (Yellow). So they're technically Generation 7.75 (the criteria for a new Generation is a new crop of Pokémon/Region. Sun and Moon were Generation 7 as they introduced Alola and its Pokémon, Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon were Generation 7.5 as they introduced a handful of new creatures, which means LGPE is Generation 7.75, as they're introducing one final Pokémon). Or you can lump SM/USUM together and call LGPE Generation 7.5.

They're just a cash grab to capitalize on the success of Pokémon GO, despite the fact that they're 2 years too late, and most of the intended audience has long-since moved on. They're tantamount to a side-series game like the Orre Duology, except set in Kanto.

3.jpg

What is the point of keeping tall grass if random encounters are confirmed to no longer take place? This is so freakin' dumb, I can't even. Also, in the other screenshots, Leaf is being followed by Gengar/riding on Onix... But Eevee is still with her? I hope we can toggle that, I don't need to be Ash Ketchum, unless I can have my entire team follow me.

magma grunt edu

casual hardcore fan
Ok, since i searched but found nothing and since i've played XD so many years ago, can someone tell me what the wild battle were like in colosseum and XD? were there any? or were there just trainer battles with shadow pokemon you could snag? Because those games might have set a precedent and if so, maybe let's go can be a little better than i'm thinking it'll be.

Kage-Pikachu

The graphics & concept look amazing for these games, but I’m not sure if I’ll get it since I can’t afford a Switch & I’m not that fond of how they replaced wild battles with Pokémon Go mechanics since I struggle with catching pokémon that way as it is
Lol, I tried at least 10 Nintendo Switch giveaways on youtube and had 0 luck, didn't really expect to win but whatever. I got lucky and got one for Christmas though, good luck, I hope you get one.

hawaiian ale

zapdos master hoo ra
Why can’t they just remake Kanto like the regular games not this Pokémon go style

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
When did it get confirmed there were no wild pokemon battles? Is it just capture and normal battle mechanics?

It was confirmed in the Q&A that there's no more traditional wild battles, but trainer battles are the same as all the main series, since the trailer did show a traditional battle against a bug catcher, and exp and levels are still there.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
What is the point of keeping tall grass if random encounters are confirmed to no longer take place? This is so freakin' dumb, I can't even. Also, in the other screenshots, Leaf is being followed by Gengar/riding on Onix... But Eevee is still with her? I hope we can toggle that, I don't need to be Ash Ketchum, unless I can have my entire team follow me.

Omg I REALLY hope we can leave eevee or PIkachu in the PC and not have to have them with us. Really hoping the trailer just wanted to show the double pokemon..

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
They are not Generation 8, as those are coming out next year. They aren't technically Generation 7, as they're not 3DS games. They are main series, as they're an RPG and a remake of a main series game (Yellow). So they're technically Generation 7.75 (the criteria for a new Generation is a new crop of Pokémon/Region. Sun and Moon were Generation 7 as they introduced Alola and its Pokémon, Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon were Generation 7.5 as they introduced a handful of new creatures, which means LGPE is Generation 7.75, as they're introducing one final Pokémon). Or you can lump SM/USUM together and call LGPE Generation 7.5.

They're just a cash grab to capitalize on the success of Pokémon GO, despite the fact that they're 2 years too late, and most of the intended audience has long-since moved on. They're tantamount to a side-series game like the Orre Duology, except set in Kanto.

No. I disagree what you say about Pokemon go. I don't think this is just a cash-grab to capitalize on Pokemon Go's success. From what I've seen, this game still stay's true to it's main series roots, in many ways it also upgrades it, and the Pokemon Go features just seem like a bonus to market towards Pokemon Go players. Rather I think there trying to capitalize on the nostalgia of Gen 1 and use this game to experiment various new and old features for future titles.

BlackButterfree

All very good ideas and I agree about the Legendary Birds, hopefully some lore about Lugia and its relation to them is explored as well (even if Lugia won't physically appear)

All they really need is a few lines referencing the lore from the second Pokémon movie, since that's where their relation was made canon. I'd rather like to hear about why they're in another region altogether. The only other Trio Master to be regions away is Regigigas (and technically Arceus, who's in Sinnoh while the others are in pocket dimensions but that doesn't count), and we know why that separation happened.

When did it get confirmed there were no wild pokemon battles? Is it just capture and normal battle mechanics?
Check my post history, I quoted someone with a source a few pages back. ;)

magma grunt edu

casual hardcore fan
So here's a question for you guys. With all this confusion going around with other people, and later for casual fans... do you think this will divide or strengthen the Pokemon fanbase as this might be many people's first Pokemon game. I mean this isn't technically a spin-off, it is a main series title, just not Generation 8 and it certainly has a very strong structure of a main series title that for some newcomers, this is what a Pokemon game is to them at first.

I think it will ultimately divide the fanbase. Who of the older fans actually keeps playing pokemon go or is now interested in going back to it with this announcement? I wasn't swayed by the announcement of GO and i'm a huge fan of pokemon. But i like pokemon for the core game and legit great spin-offs. Younger audiences will most likely buy the core game but if they stay for it or not i can't say. But older fans will always stay for the core games, that i'm sure.

So the rumors were true. I'm just curious if we can battle wild Pokémon.

Sadly it's confirmed wild battles are not a thing.

Kage-Pikachu

That's true, hopefully there's some kind of purpose to actually seeking them out, like we need to capture them to prevent something from happening or even have Team Rocket capture them like in Pokemon Special.

Orphalesion

I kind of like video game histories and just before Final Fantasy started sucking (imho) Squaresoft (that was before it became Square-Enix) introduced three new installments in what they termed a "three-pronged campaign". The three games were one focusing on the past of the Franchise and older fans (FF IX) one focusing on the future (FF X) and an MMO (FF XI)

I know it won't happen but wouldn't it be nice if GF introduced LGP, the future Gen 8 games and an MMO spinoff all in one go?

^Just want to point out that my wish pretty much came true. They might not have revealed Gen 8, but they have confirmed that it exists and arrives next year.

windwakemeup

Bee Prince
Ok, since i searched but found nothing and since i've played XD so many years ago, can someone tell me what the wild battle were like in colosseum and XD? were there any? or were there just trainer battles with shadow pokemon you could snag? Because those games might have set a precedent and if so, maybe let's go can be a little better than i'm thinking it'll be.

In colosseum, you only snagged trainer shadow pokemon. In XD it was much of the same, but there was a few wild pokemon you could catch like normal [Though you had to set out bait for them and wait for them to appear at the spots.]

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Who of the older fans actually keeps playing pokemon go or is now interested in going back to it with this announcement?

I can't speak for others, but I still play Go, myself.

BlackButterfree

Omg I REALLY hope we can leave eevee or PIkachu in the PC and not have to have them with us. Really hoping the trailer just wanted to show the double pokemon..

I can't think of a single game where you can't ditch your starter in a Box, so I doubt they'd start doing that now. But I don't want to go to that extreme, I just want to be able to turn off Eevee, the follower, or both.

Is anyone trying out Pokemon Quest yet?

Don't have a Switch yet, but it looks absolutely mind-numbing. It's just blocks with faces on them.

No. I disagree what you say about Pokemon go. I don't think this is just a cash-grab to capitalize on Pokemon Go's success. From what I've seen, this game still stay's true to it's main series roots, in many ways it also upgrades it, and the Pokemon Go features just seem like a bonus to market towards Pokemon Go players. Rather I think there trying to capitalize on the nostalgia of Gen 1 and use this game to experiment various new and old features for future titles.

Stays true to its roots when we no longer have wild battles, or the option to press buttons to catch Pokémon? We know have to use joy cons, which a user said a number of pages ago is not an option for them due to severe arthritis, to catch Pokémon in order to capitalize on GO's success. And we no longer have wild Pokémon encounters, again to capitalize on GO's success where you seek them out in the overworld. This is 100% a cash grab, and I'm not a fan of either change.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
I can't speak for others, but I still play Go, myself.
Same here. Working hard on hatching some eggs and hyped for the Larvitar event.

magma grunt edu

casual hardcore fan
In colosseum, you only snagged trainer shadow pokemon. In XD it was much of the same, but there was a few wild pokemon you could catch like normal [Though you had to set out bait for them and wait for them to appear at the spots.]

Ok. So you could after setting the bait and getting the wild encounter fight it as normal right? It wasn't just safari game rules?

Cerex

I'm inclined to sit this one out. This game seems much more inclined to casual players and consumers that only got into Gen I when it came out, rather than more invested fans of the franchise. I just don't see the point to revisit Kanto as the initial entry into the Switch, it's a lack luster region, with very little to do respectively. It's nostalgia at its finest, which has its place, but it's not moving the franchise forward it's cashing in.