• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Thoughts on the Upcoming Pokemon Switch Game?

The Teller

King of Half-Truths
Ok, since i searched but found nothing and since i've played XD so many years ago, can someone tell me what the wild battle were like in colosseum and XD? were there any? or were there just trainer battles with shadow pokemon you could snag? Because those games might have set a precedent and if so, maybe let's go can be a little better than i'm thinking it'll be.
Colosseum had no wild battles. XD did, but only around a dozen or less Pokemon could be caught that way. They were traditional single battles, just like the main games.

Kage-Pikachu

I'm a little surprised by my attitude, I usually hate spoilers for new games but this time I'm eager to learn as much as possible, lol. So what teams will most of you guys be using? I'll probably use Pikachu, Charizard, Dragonite, Mr Mime (if I can't get Alakazam), Starmie, and Gengar

I'm inclined to sit this one out. This game seems much more inclined to casual players and consumers that only got into Gen I when it came out, rather than more invested fans of the franchise. I just don't see the point to revisit Kanto as the initial entry into the Switch, it's a lack luster region, with very little to do respectively. It's nostalgia at its finest, which has its place, but it's not moving the franchise forward it's cashing in.
Would you buy it if the price was reduced? I dislike paying full price for remakes but I;d hate to sit out on the first Pokemon RPG on the Switch.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
I'm inclined to sit this one out. This game seems much more inclined to casual players and consumers that only got into Gen I when it came out, rather than more invested fans of the franchise. I just don't see the point to revisit Kanto as the initial entry into the Switch, it's a lack luster region, with very little to do respectively. It's nostalgia at its finest, which has its place, but it's not moving the franchise forward it's cashing in.
Yeah. This looks like a nostalgia-laden cash in.

FrozTKnight

Will ORA ORA ORA you
Colosseum had no wild battles. XD did, but only around a dozen or less Pokemon could be caught that way. They were traditional single battles, just like the main games.

So LGPE could a Pokemon GO Colosseum?

Autobot N

I'm a little surprised by my attitude, I usually hate spoilers for new games but this time I'm eager to learn as much as possible, lol. So what teams will most of you guys be using? I'll probably use Pikachu, Charizard, Dragonite, Mr Mime (if I can't get Alakazam), Starmie, and Gengar
I'll likely use Eevee, Charizard, Starmie, Scyther, A-Ninetales, and maybe Mew (depending on how early you can access the GO Park).

The Teller

King of Half-Truths
So LGPE could a Pokemon GO Colosseum?
I doubt it, since the main games always say that it's bad to try to catch/steal other trainers' Pokemon, and you could only do it in Colosseum/XD because those Pokemon in particular were artificially corrupted to become evil and needed to be forcefully taken away in order to be cured. (This plot device doesn't apply to those wild Pokemon in XD, but those weren't trainer battles, so it's not the same thing.)

Arsène

Let's see, marketing itself as a Kanto adventure, looks to be limited to Kantonian species, no wild battles; replaced by a capture system from a game already pandering to a specific crowd, local MP only (so no online).

So yeah, it's a nice little cash grab for the holidays looking to capitalize on Go's popularity. No sale from me though.

FrozTKnight

Will ORA ORA ORA you

scififan21

I'm worried about grinding since wild battles aren't a thing. Will the leveling system even exist in these games? I mean Pokemon Go is fun, but I wouldn't pay the price of a Switch Game for it.

magma grunt edu

casual hardcore fan

Trades are gonna suck without online. The other problem is the safari zone because now everything is the safari zone basically. So barring those, and assuming eevee and pikachu don't evolve i'm ditching the starter and get my faves: kabutops, arcanine, nidoking, lapras, rhydon, hitmonchan/hitmonlee (it's always hard for me to chose one, i would take both) and i would still have slowbro, scyther, magmar, electabuzz, tauros, zapdos, dragonair and mewtwo.

FrozTKnight

Will ORA ORA ORA you
Let's see, marketing itself as a Kanto adventure, looks to be limited to Kantonian species, no wild battles; replaced by a capture system from a game already pandering to a specific crowd, local MP only (so no online).

So yeah, it's a nice little cash grab for the holidays looking to capitalize on Go's popularity. No sale from me though.
I think you don't understand what a "CASH GRAB" is.

Kikas123

What 'bout My Star?
The choices of reigon, original 151 only and GO integration seems aimed at casual playerd or people that stopped playing in Gen I or II that got bavk on the Nintendo hype train with the Switch.

I really wouldn't be suprised if the intent is to get this audience in a space where they feel comfortable with the new mainline games.

BlackButterfree

Just saw the trailer for Pokémon Quest. The ONLY thing that interested me about this game was that it brought back Pikachu's original cry, and it's seemingly one of those Gen. 6 remastered cries. That piqued my interest, but other than that, it looks like a cheap, Kanto-only knock-off of both Pokémon Rumble, and the 2D Mystery Dungeon games.

FrozTKnight

Will ORA ORA ORA you
This game has just the original 151, it's set in Kanto, and it removes wild battles and online play. This is looking like an almost complete reboot of the series.

yet its not they even confirmed this game is targeting a different medium of players while they are still working on GEN 8.

Compared to USUM I wouldn't call this a cash grab.

Kage-Pikachu

Trades are gonna suck without online. The other problem is the safari zone because now everything is the safari zone basically. So barring those, and assuming eevee and pikachu don't evolve i'm ditching the starter and get my faves: kabutops, arcanine, nidoking, lapras, rhydon, hitmonchan/hitmonlee (it's always hard for me to chose one, i would take both) and i would still have slowbro, scyther, magmar, electabuzz, tauros, zapdos, dragonair and mewtwo.
Cool, so you prefer to use Dragonair instead of Dragonite? I guess Eviolite would work pretty well with that.

I often have a large roster of interchangeable Pokemon too so in addition to the ones I mentioned I'll also use Nidoking, Venusaur, Pigeot (until I get Charizard), and Porygon.