• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Thoughts on the Upcoming Pokemon Switch Game?

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
yet its not they even confirmed this game is targeting a different medium of players while they are still working on GEN 8.

Compared to USUM I wouldn't call this a cash grab.
This is a nostalgia laden cash grab. It was created just for GO players and players of the original Gen 1 games.

MewsTruck

Not too happy...

Serebii tweeted that it was confirmed for no wild battles?? This alone turned me off. Very much. Just that tells me that its not even the slightest pokemon game i wanted. Wasnt expecting something crazy. Atleast just do Kanto remake on switch with modern graphics and mechanics and call it a day till gen 8.

If its not an actuall rpg like we are use to, i hope they won't be portraying it as such.

Don't get me started on the other aspects....

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Not too happy...

Serebii tweeted that it was confirmed for no wild battles?? This alone turned me off. Very much. Just that tells me that its not even the slightest pokemon game i wanted. Wasnt expecting something crazy. Atleast just do Kanto remake on switch with modern graphics and mechanics and call it a day till gen 8.

If its not an actuall rpg like we are use to, i hope they won't be portraying it as such.

Don't get me started on the other aspects....
Yeah. I also saw that they are bringing in CP into the games. They really are turning the main series into GO.

FrozTKnight

Will ORA ORA ORA you
This is a nostalgia laden cash grab. It was created just for GO players and players of the original Gen 1 games.

And your problem with that is? What? You getting pissy about GF targeting a demographic that wouldn't even buy a mainline game and your main game gt delayed?

Yeah. I also saw that they are bringing in CP into the games. They really are turning the main series into GO.

Stop spreading bs we are not even sure about yet.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
I can't think of a single game where you can't ditch your starter in a Box, so I doubt they'd start doing that now. But I don't want to go to that extreme, I just want to be able to turn off Eevee, the follower, or both.

Don't have a Switch yet, but it looks absolutely mind-numbing. It's just blocks with faces on them.

Stays true to its roots when we no longer have wild battles, or the option to press buttons to catch Pokémon? We know have to use joy cons, which a user said a number of pages ago is not an option for them due to severe arthritis, to catch Pokémon in order to capitalize on GO's success. And we no longer have wild Pokémon encounters, again to capitalize on GO's success where you seek them out in the overworld. This is 100% a cash grab, and I'm not a fan of either change.

I still standby that this game stays true to much of what previous main series offers even though it lacks wild battles. If anything, I'm even more curious of how it will handle the possible problems of throwing away wild battles. In the game trailer, you can still see a lot of detailed Colosseum-style battles out there being played out indicating that battling is still plays a huge role in this game and part of the Pokemon experience is training, or for some people's cases "grinding" by battling wild Pokemon. I can't be the only one who is a little intrigued of what GameFreak intends to do with the main series formula.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
And your problem with that is? What? You getting pissy about GF targeting a demographic that wouldn't even buy a mainline game and your main game gt delayed?
Because it implies that GF is catering to the lowest common denominator. They've gone overboard with their nostalgia pandering.

FrozTKnight

Will ORA ORA ORA you
Because it implies that GF is catering to the lowest common denominator. They've gone overboard with their nostalgia pandering.

You are still getting your bloody gen 8 game why is everyone who was bitching that GF is going back to Kanto for more nostalgia pandering is making a seperate game from the tradition game?

Orphalesion

So I could actually see this evolving into two different Pokemon series. The standard one that keeps the old playstyle and a "Let's Go (Insert Pokemon here)" series that works like LGPE and the Go-integration.

why is everyone who was bitching that GF is going back to Kanto for more nostalgia pandering is making a seperate game from the tradition game?

Hey now, that's uncalled for, that one guy doesn't speak for the rest of us. I'm happy with the confirmation of 2019.

magma grunt edu

casual hardcore fan
Cool, so you prefer to use Dragonair instead of Dragonite? I guess Eviolite would work pretty well with that.

I often have a large roster of interchangeable Pokemon too so in addition to the ones I mentioned I'll also use Nidoking, Venusaur, Pigeot (until I get Charizard), and Porygon.

Yeah, dragonite is not terrible but dragonair is so much more gracious and majestic, dragonite's proportions and body are just too goofy for me. I sure hope held exist even.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
So I could actually see this evolving into two different Pokemon series. The standard one that keeps the old playstyle and a "Let's Go (Insert Pokemon here)" series that works like LGPE and the Go-integration.
You know... for nostalgia's sake... that doesn't actually sound like a bad idea. It would be like Pokemon's answer to Elder Scrolls Online, in terms of nostalgia and re-exploring past regions. We could see Johto and Hoenn remakes in one main series through a slightly different and experiemental lens while the other main series continues to explore entirely new regions and Pokemon. I very much like that idea.

Although I probably just want to see Johto remade in 3D lol...

Orphalesion

You know... for nostalgia's sake... that doesn't actually sound like a bad idea. It would be like Pokemon's answer to Elder Scrolls Online, in terms of nostalgia and re-exploring past regions. We could see Johto and Hoenn remakes in one main series through a slightly different and experiemental lens while the other main series continues to explore entirely new regions and Pokemon. I very much like that idea.

Although I probably just want to see Johto remade in 3D lol...

"Let's Go Togepi/Marill"?

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
If LGPE is successful, they will never go back to the old formula again.

Cerex

Would you buy it if the price was reduced? I dislike paying full price for remakes but I;d hate to sit out on the first Pokemon RPG on the Switch.
Probably not. There's just little reason to play this game. It's a reversion of the franchise. There's nothing inherent to the Kanto region that makes revisiting it on the Switch something that's very appealing to me. And I don't play Go religiously, and even if I did, what's the benefit of that. Kanto has a short story, and if they stick to it being a remake, there's nothing to do after you defeat the Champion and capture all 150 Pokemon.

Maybe, maybe, if they release subsequent generations as DLC I might come onboard. After all, without the capture and battle mechanic, outside of trainer battles, there will have to be some pretty significant changes to the leveling system. That might get me onboard.