• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Thoughts on the Upcoming Pokemon Switch Game?

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
Hey... wait a minute! Something just occured to me that's really important! If there's no online multiplayer. Does that mean there's no online trading? How will trade evolution's work? Was planning on getting Gengar on my team.

It has online. It was a miss understanding that it would not have it. At the end of the day catching is the only change and tbh who weakens pokemon to catch them? I've done it like twice. I tend to chuck my balls at them.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8

Xuxuba

Well since some of us are getting Let's Go. Have you guys planned any of your Kantonian teams?
Well, for me, it's going to depend on the price since i am not able to afford another 60$ switch game, but if i do get it, i'm thinking on going with Eevee, Ninetales, Starmie, Clefable, Vileplume and Persian.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
It has online. It was a miss understanding that it would not have it. At the end of the day catching is the only change and tbh who weakens pokemon to catch them? I've done it like twice. I tend to chuck my balls at them.
By online I think it's the LAN sort of online, so the players can connect and battle or trade with each other wirelessly in an extremely confined location. But this isn't really explained at the best manner so I might be wrong here and it's possible there will be an online hub for players.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Okay then. You know what would be a fun surprise. If Gamefreak decides to lie to it's fans that only Gen 1 Pokemon are available and then later a huge surprise is revealed that we can obtained Gen 2 and up from the Sevii Isles. Oh that would be awesome but also unlikely... sigh...

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
By online I think it's the LAN sort of online, so the players can connect and battle or trade with each other wirelessly in an extremely confined location. But this isn't really explained at the best manner so I might be wrong here and it's possible there will be an online hub for players.

Would be very odd for it not too and yeah the wording is very strange. I meaning playing with someone else online would be a lot of fun. It would be the closet to GTA Online with pokemon :)

BCVM22

So why does it say on the front page It was previously reported from the Q&A at the conference that the game would lack online play. This turned out to be a mistranslation from the journalist in question

Because Serebii doesn't update the main page in real time with every single reporter's tweet?

Well, for me, it's going to depend on the price since i am not able to afford another 60$ switch game

The games are full-price Switch titles, or at least will be in Japan and America (which would indicate they'll be full price titles in the rest of the territories).

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
Because Serebii doesn't update the main page in real time with every single reporter's tweet?
Dude is slacking pfft

I'm curious how long this game will be. Will it be the same as yellow or are we getting more stuff? I can see them making the Switch home games longer than the handheld era games but that might start with the 2019 game .

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
For my Kantonian team... it's going to be Eevee, Dewgong/Kingler, Gengar, Arcanine/Rapidash, Dugtrio, Aerodactyl

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
Wait before we all pick teams are we having teams of 6 or have they changed that?

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Would be very odd for it not too and yeah the wording is very strange. I meaning playing with someone else online would be a lot of fun. It would be the closet to GTA Online with pokemon :)
That can at least allow players to at least be able to trade/battle online if they don't have a friend to play LGPE with and create a completely new experience for players whom are used to Pokémon GO.

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。
Hey... wait a minute! Something just occured to me that's really important! If there's no online multiplayer. Does that mean there's no online trading? How will trade evolution's work? Was planning on getting Gengar on my team.
And, that is how the leaker I posted might have said that you'll be able to get different Pokemon via GO's integration, thank you for pointing it out. Since the level system is in the game and it supports local-wireless, I assume the only way to get trade-based evolutions are trading via GO. Only that way, you can complete LGPE's PokeDex and it eventually drives you to 'Catch 'em All!' and to play GO, while also making the feature optional. A wise strategy for TPCi.

BCVM22

Wait before we all pick teams are we having teams of 6 or have they changed that?

Still six and not changing.

That can at least allow players to at least be able to trade/battle online if they don't have a friend to play LGPE with and create a completely new experience for players whom are used to Pokémon GO.

My read on the multiplayer aspect is that there is no online play, and that seems definitive despite the reports that it was a "mistranslation." There very much seems to be local wireless play, so that you can play with someone else who has a Switch and a copy of the game, just like you had to before the advent of Wi-Fi and the online aspects of the core titles.

There is clearly, however, still some degree of ambiguity owing to the early stage and the language barrier, and I imagine it'll all get straightened out in due time.

BCVM22

It's still far too early to know for sure what kind of connectivity LGP/E will have with previous/future core titles, whether via Bank or some other means.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
My read on the multiplayer aspect is that there is no online play, and that seems definitive despite the reports that it was a "mistranslation." There very much seems to be local wireless play, so that you can play with someone else who has a Switch and a copy of the game, just like you had to before the advent of Wi-Fi and the online aspects of the core titles.

There is clearly, however, still some degree of ambiguity owing to the early stage and the language barrier, and I imagine it'll all get straightened out in due time.
Could be indeed, considering the news broke out a bit more than four and a half hours back. And yeah, I'm definitely expecting clearer information later on.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
considering we're playing as Red

We're playing as Red? I'm pretty sure that's not Red. These look like entirely new characters, not redesigns.

The co-op seems a bit unfair since the trainers only have 1 pokemon battling, while the players have 2.

They could've made the trainer own twice more pokemon and maybe even make them a little stronger when you are playing on the co-op mode.

Probably not a mode that was meant to be balanced. Just something you'd do for fun.

Well lookie here GF is growing up... Hopefully they stay grown up.

It's not that big of a leap but it's a good first step

They don't really have any other choice. The Switch, by default, makes it so that each account on the Switch has its own save files on games, so this was ensured to happen here, as well as any future Pokémon games on Switch.

TTNH03

Pokemon Researcher
I have mixed feelings for this game.
It really feels like a watered down version of the current mainline Pokemon games tbh.

I'll probably get it in the end though.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
It really feels like a watered down version of the current mainline Pokemon games tbh

For better or for worse, that's basically what it is, and it's on purpose.