• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Thoughts on the Upcoming Pokemon Switch Game?

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord

Sorry, just realized that's what you must have meant based on the second part of your comment.

To answer that part, anything new will be Gen VII, just like Stakataka and Blacephelon are Gen VII.

He did consider it as a main series title but for us fans, we do not classify the new games as part of the core series, like Colosseum and XD.

That's not really up for us to decide. If Game Freak's calling it main-series, it's main-series. We can act like it's a spin-off if we really want, but it really isn't.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
'New generation' should be reserved for new entries featuring a brand new region with brand new Pokemon.
LGPE seems to be mainly featuring Kanto--that is not quite gen 8.
Yeah. But it has a new previously unknown Pokémon in the game but still I don't consider it to be Gen 8 because the game will then have to have almost the entire set of Gen 8 Pokémon in the game.

PsychoKing47

Well, where do I start in expressing my disappointment for these? First of all, it's massively disappointing that this is, for all intents and purposes, just Pokemon Go on a home console, but not only that it's a home console that costs close to £300 and a game that will cost around £50, if not more. While I get that they're trying to get people playing Go into the mainstream games, I don't think this game will accomplish that at all. Part of the appeal of Go is that it's free, so why would people who play Go for that reason pay £350+ for it just to be able to play it on their TV? The other main aspect of Go that seems to appeal to people is being able to play Pokemon on the go (pun intended). While I guess you can with the Switch (and that new, more obnoxious version of the Pokewalker, if it does indeed make noises like that), it isn't really the same again and kind of defeats the point of playing Go in the first place if you're just lazing around to do so.

Secondly, if this title is intended to serve as a transitional title for Go players between Go and the main games, why not use the proper turn-based battle system for wild Pokemon, rather than just shaking the Joycon to capture stuff? Proper Pokemon battles and capturing are by far the easiest part of the series to grasp, so their exclusion here doesn't really make sense (you could argue that there's no need for such a transition, but I see no reason why there isn't a need for it). Also, I bet some children will break their TVs while trying to capture Pokemon this way, and I'll be shocked if that doesn't happen within the first month. Also, as someone who hates the Go catching mechanics to begin with, it disappoints me that they're being forced upon us in these games.

Thirdly, I wasn't sure how I felt about it before, but this does confirm that I really don't like the idea of overworld Pokemon; it takes away the random nature of wild battles, plus I'm betting it makes it harder to shiny hunt or find good IVs (if those are even a thing in these casual spin-offs). Also, if they try to do this for the core games next year, it seems like a massive drain of resources that could be better spent elsewhere, such as on the story or on new Pokemon, or on just making sure the games are a bit more challenging than usual (I'm really hoping they don't port this idea over to the main games, but it would surprise me if they didn't now).

Also, I feel like the graphics aren't actually very impressive for a home console game, and in fact they almost feel like a step back from the Gen 7 games, not least because of how absurdly childish it looks. I get that there's more able to happen on screen and all with the Switch, but I'm just not impressed on the graphics front at all.

The only thing I do like the look of is local multi-player, even if I'm not quite certain of the practicalities of such a thing; that would be something I would be all too happy to see in the main series games, as it would be much more fun to battle alongside a friend than alongside random NPCs that are forgotten about after temporarily aiding you or you temporarily aiding them (think of all those characters in DPPt, for instance). I'm also curious to see what new Pokemon comes in the games, but that'll be revealed on the internet soon after the games come out (or, more likely, well before release), but that isn't enough on its own.

Basically, as you can probably tell, I am very disappointed by this news and have absolutely no interest in these games whatsoever, and I have to admit I'm more annoyed than I would be if the release of these didn't mean we have to wait a further year to get any concrete Gen 8 news (because this is not Gen 8 at all, given that it's a spin-off with just 1 new Pokemon and that it's essentially Pokemon Go for people too lazy to walk for actual Pokemon Go).

BCVM22

To answer that part, anything new will be Gen VII, just like Stakataka and Blacephelon are Gen VII.

No. The new Pokémon will be Generation VIII, and is probably in LGP/E for the sole purpose of starting the Generation VIII hype train.

Munchlax and Bonsly made their game debuts in XD, which are technically “Generation III” titles by virtue of their release date, but we don’t argue that they’re Generation III Pokémon.

That's not really up for us to decide. If Game Freak's calling it main-series, it's main-series. We can act like it's a spin-off if we really want, but it really isn't.

And yet at the end of the event, they made sure to note specifically that that next year’s releases are more in the vein of X/Y and Sun/Moon. So yes, while they do consider these core titles, there’s clearly an additional distinction to be made, that they are their own, new, and unique brand of core titles.

Xuxuba

Personally, I find calling this game gen 8 completely unfitting.

'New generation' should be reserved for new entries featuring a brand new region with brand new Pokemon (aka, what we are likely getting next year).
LGPE seems to be mainly featuring Kanto--that is not quite gen 8.
I agree.

]No. It’ll be a Generation VIII Pokémon. There’s no real need to quibble over that.
Well this new pokemon's situation is not that different from zeraora who is also a new pokemon introduced this generation despite not being present in the first games of this generation and zeraora is considered a gen 7 pokemon.

So the criteria for calling it a gen 8 pokemon still isn't that clear.

IMO, if a pokemon is introduced in the main titles when the generation still isn't over then he is a pokemon from that generation.

TTNH03

Pokemon Researcher
To further validate this.
The developers said that this is a mainline title but did not mention anything about being a port of the core series.

From that presentation video:
- They said that this game is part of a mainline title at around 17 mins.
- They later mentioned that another 'Core' Pokemon title is coming in 2019 at around 40-42 mins.

Reference:

Milennin

*hugs Absol*
I guess I'll wait another year before deciding on getting a Switch, because a Yellow remake is really not what I want.

-Just the original 151 Pokémon? No, thanks. I grew up with gen.1, but I'm so tired of the nostalgia milking.
-No wild Pokémon battles? What? I don't understand...
-A Pokémon that's never seen before? Okay, probably a sneak peek into next generation's roster...
-Why co-op play? Pokémon's core gameplay is so dull already, and playing it wih somebody else would only worsen it. I just don't see it working... Maybe as a parent playing with your 3-year old kid, sure, but not something I'd consider playing with a friend.
-I do like being able to have Eevee as a starter Pokémon, though...

It looks like it's playing it extremely safe, and I'm not impressed with it. Pass.

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。
He did consider it as a main series title but for us fans, we do not classify the new games as part of the core series, like Colosseum and XD.
One of the issues of Pokemon Community is unwilling to accept the new changes brought to the franchise, unfortunately. If the games are stated to be main series, then they are. And, just because the wild battles are exclusively removed from LGP/E, it doesn't put them in a 'spin-off-series' titles. Assume the games are slightly different, as in not in any connection between the past generations (Which still has not been confirmed), but rather GO instead.

Go5Xeen.png

The games have level system, trainer battles, a region we explored before, GO integration as in to transfer Pokemon and battle/train them in different ways (CP), and possibly most of the features introduced in the past generations. And, LGP/E are not the 'home version' of GO either. So, it is a bit odd when the titles are constantly being called as spin-off.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
One of the issues of Pokemon Community is unwilling to accept the new changes brought to the franchise, unfortunately. If the games are stated to be main series, then they are. And, just because the wild battles are exclusively removed from LGP/E, it doesn't put them in a 'spin-off-series' titles. Assume the games are slightly different, as in not in any connection between the past generations (Which still has not been confirmed), but rather GO instead.

Go5Xeen.png

The games have level system, trainer battles, a region we explored before, GO integration as in to transfer Pokemon and battle/train them in different ways (CP), and possibly most of the features introduced in the past generations. And, LGP/E are not the 'home version' of GO either. So, it is a bit odd when the titles are constantly being called as spin-off.
Although it seemingly does follow the criteria for a core series game, such as being developed by Game Freak, similar battle mechanics to the main games, but it is already confirmed it is not part of the core series. In fact Ishihara didn't refer to a specific Pokémon Switch game, which could either be this or the one that is to be released next year.

Last edited:

Genos

The Indigo Disk
I'm going going, back back, to Kanto Kanto.

Joke aside, I'm excited for this. Our first Pokemon game on the Switch and already looks beautiful. I'm bummed on not able to battle wild Pokemon but battling trainers/gym leaders/Team Rocket is ok to me. I play Pokemon games at home so I'll be playing it on the TV ( and doing swings for capturing mons). I'm fine with this as Gen 8 is coming next year. Gamefreak deserves to have more time on it to make it the best possible.

I plan on getting Let's Go Pikachu. And Pokeball Plus is a must for me (please have more of these).

oshawott7

cat burgler
My thoughts are that they're of course trying to get the casual GO players into the main games, but it also seems like they're dividing the fandom into casual and competitive. If that's true then hopefully the Gen 8 games will be amazing and harder than previous games.
I also feel like they announced the next core games right away because they knew people would be disappointed lol. Makes you wonder why they decided to remove so much from them...

I'm definitely disappointed for the same obvious reasons as everyone else. I think it's absolutely absurd that you can't evolve your starter, especially Eevee. Because of that I have a hard time believing that the new Pokemon will be a new Eeveelution since you won't even be able to get it with your starter Eevee. I'll definitely be boxing my starter instantly.

I'm still going to buy these games and enjoy them, but only because I know the real core games are coming out next year.

Edit: I forgot to add that it looks like they added Magikarp Jump, maybe?? I loved that game so I would enjoy a little mini game of it in this.

FrozTKnight

Will ORA ORA ORA you
Would anyone care if GF turns LGPE into the next Pokemon Stadium, Colosseum, XD etc.

If they decide to add online functionality and remove most of the complex mechanics, IVs, EVs and Natures from the battling it would be a great replacement for the Pokemon Stadium series.

Player would just need to catch Pokemon train them and then hop online without any worries that competitve players need to face.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Dissapointing. At least for me.

The new games look nice but they look mostly a beta for the next gen.

And sucks there's only gen I pokémon. There are people who prefer other gen monsters, Game Freak!

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
No. The new Pokémon will be Generation VIII, and is probably in LGP/E for the sole purpose of starting the Generation VIII hype train.

Munchlax and Bonsly made their game debuts in XD, which are technically “Generation III” titles by virtue of their release date, but we don’t argue that they’re Generation III Pokémon.

XD was a spin-off game though. If a new Pokémon premiers in a main-series Gen VII game, doesn't that make it a Gen VII Pokémon by definition? This should especially be the case now that Ultra Sun and Moon have proven that they're willing to introduce new Pokémon mid-generation?

I'll admit it's possible, depending on context, that what you're saying is the case, but it doesn't really seem any more likely than this just being another Stakataka/Blacephelon scenario, which seems like the simplest possibility.

And yet at the end of the event, they made sure to note specifically that that next year’s releases are more in the vein of X/Y and Sun/Moon. So yes, while they do consider these core titles, there’s clearly an additional distinction to be made, that they are their own, new, and unique brand of core titles.

Sure, but that doesn't make it a spin-off.

The developers said that this is a mainline title but did not mention anything about being a port of the core series.

What's the difference? They're both different ways of saying the exact same thing.

Although it seemingly does follow the criteria for a core series game, such as being developed by Game Freak, similar battle mechanics to the main games, but it is already confirmed it is not part of the core series. In fact Ishihara didn't refer to a specific Pokémon Switch game, which could either be this or the one that is to be released next year.

They specifically said it was a main-series game during the conference. It has been confirmed that it is not a spin-off by Game Freak's definition.

Last edited:

BCVM22

plus I'm betting it makes it harder to shiny hunt or find good IVs (if those are even a thing in these casual spin-offs)

What? No. How?

If anything, it will make those EASIER because if nothing else, you can ensure you only encounter the Pokémon you want. Imagine hunting for a specific shiny Pokémon and you can ensure you only encounter that species in the tall grass. How does it make that more difficult?

Also, if they try to do this for the core games next year, it seems like a massive drain of resources that could be better spent elsewhere, such as on the story or on new Pokemon, or on just making sure the games are a bit more challenging than usual (I'm really hoping they don't port this idea over to the main games, but it would surprise me if they didn't now).

They are completely different types of resources. How do you conclude that you’re being denied story elements or Pokémon because you can see wild Pokémon roaming the overworld? What’s the correlation there?

I'll admit it's possible, depending on context, that what you're saying is the case, but it doesn't really seem any more likely then this just being another Stakataka/Blacephelon scenario.

Again, there’s no reason to try and place this upcoming new Pokémon as part of the Generation VII Pokédex. There’s just next to nothing that would occur where we’d say “yeah, this Pokémon belongs with the Kalos set instead of in the new generation of games it hails from.” I know you get into your things where you say “okay but I don’t see why...” and that is what it is so I don’t really feel the need to try and litigate this further. We’ll move on in a year and forget it was ever really a question. Until then, it is what it is and you can class it as you like.

Last edited:

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Can someone explain to me why some of you think this is just Pokemon Go on home consoles? From what I've been hearing from the comparisons of the Pokemon Main Series and Pokemon Go, this is literally just a Pokemon HD Remake/Reboot of Generation 1 that stays true to the main series and more except for the fact that wild battles are gone. I am freaking serious. This is literally everything that Pokemon Go is not, a colorful remake of Kanto with a full-fledge campaign filled with trainers, wildlife, and probably tons of post-game content that GameFreak hasn't spoiled us yet in future trailers that makes FireRed and LeafGreen look barebones.

It seems the only reason you guys are calling this Pokemon Go on home consoles is because wild battles are gone! That is literally it! Some of you guys are okay with 151 Pokemon or the supposed lack of online multiplayer but when it's a lack of wild battles, it's suddenly Pokemon Go on consoles. I can understand the disappointment, even the frustration but there just seems to be no real basis to any of your arguments that this is just Pokemon Go on consoles. To me, calling it Pokemon Go on home consoles sounds like your saying that this game is not quality-made, it's bare-bones, empty, generic, no upgrades or innovation, and no hard work or care was put into this title which is what Pokemon Go's quality standard literally is. I can understand if you think this is going to be a disappointing or even a bad game but I do not understand why some of you think this is just Pokemon Go in console form.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
They specifically said it was a main-series game during the conference. It has been confirmed.
But what really separates it from other main series games is the combined CP stat mechanic that existed in Pokémon GO instead of Pokémon having their Attack and Defense stats separated into physical and special components. Whether LGPE will have a Special split for both Attack and Defense, as well as having the Speed stat, we're not too sure yet.

TTNH03

Pokemon Researcher
What's the difference? They're both different ways of saying the exact same thing.
From someone in another forum:
They refer to the Let's Go games as "mainline" but only refer to next year's games as "core" games. This leads to some obvious conclusions to their criteria.

Mainline = Not MD, Conquest, Rangers, Quest, Snap, Rumble, or Shuffle. You catch Pokémon (Not play as them), battle other trainers with a trainer v trainer format, and have a region to explore. Because they play like the main games, without being a integral addition to the franchise.

Core = Meeting the conditions listed above (obviously excluding the last part), while also being new generation, with new Pokémon, new region, and more of the traditions we know (Gyms or their equivalent, Pokémon League, etc). The 2019 games will be core additions to the franchise (I.e Gen 8).

BCVM22

Can someone explain to me why some of you think this is just Pokemon Go on home consoles? From what I've been hearing from the comparisons of the Pokemon Main Series and Pokemon Go, this is literally just a Pokemon HD Remake/Reboot of Generation 1 that stays true to the main series and more except for the fact that wild battles are gone. I am freaking serious. This is literally everything that Pokemon Go is not, a colorful remake of Kanto with a full-fledge campaign filled with trainers, wildlife, and probably tons of post-game content that GameFreak hasn't spoiled us yet in future trailers that makes FireRed and LeafGreen look barebones.

It seems the only reason you guys are calling this Pokemon Go on home consoles is because wild battles are gone! That is literally it! Some of you guys are okay with 151 Pokemon or the supposed lack of online multiplayer but when it's a lack of wild battles, it's suddenly Pokemon Go on consoles. I can understand the disappointment, even the frustration but there just seems to be no real basis to any of your arguments that this is just Pokemon Go on consoles. To me, calling it Pokemon Go on home consoles sounds like your saying that this game is not quality-made, it's bare-bones, empty, generic, no upgrades or innovation, and no hard work or care was put into this title which is what Pokemon Go's quality standard literally is. I can understand if you think this is going to be a disappointing or even a bad game but I do not understand why some of you think this is just Pokemon Go in console form.

Because people come into these things with a laundry list of certain expectations and when those expectations aren’t met - or are heavily subverted, in this case - sometimes the response is “well, they should have done this, this, this and this, and they clearly did this wrong so I’m not pleased.” Even though they went out of their way to confirm to us that games that will probably be closer to those expectations are coming next year.

It’s best not to worry about it too much. It’s all part of the natural cycle.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
From someone in another forum:
They refer to the Let's Go games as "mainline" but only refer to next year's games as "core" games. This leads to some obvious conclusions to their criteria.

Mainline = Not MD, Conquest, Rangers, Quest, Snap, Rumble, or Shuffle. You catch Pokémon (Not play as them), battle other trainers with a trainer v trainer format, and have a region to explore. Because they play like the main games, without being a integral addition to the franchise.

Core = Meeting the conditions listed above (obviously excluding the last part), while also being new generation, with new Pokémon, new region, and more of the traditions we know (Gyms or their equivalent, Pokémon League, etc). The 2019 games will be core additions to the franchise (I.e Gen 8).
It has been true that for a long time, these terms have been used interchangeably in the Pokémon community but yeah, I can see Game Freak or the fans trying to set more specific criteria for each of these terms because there is going to be confusion among the use of these two terms. But I personally consider all core games to be main series games but not all main series games to be core games like LGPE being main series games but not being core games.