• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Thoughts on the Upcoming Pokemon Switch Game?

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Even if they are core games, does that change anything?

Why is it so important whether they are or not?

I would find it interesting if they spun off their own series, but well.

It's not that big of a deal, but people are trying to write these games off as "just a spin-off." So much so that it gets to the point where they try to create new definitions of what constitutes a spin-off and what constitutes a main-series game just so they don't have to acknowledge the existence of these games.

Ambyssin

Winter can't come soon enough
Why are people making such a big deal over whether these games are main line or not? Guys, you can type as furiously as you want... but, when push comes to shove, you need to put your wallets where your mouths are (or leave 'em in your pockets). If you really, truly don't want these games... don't buy them! Because saying "Waaah this isn't what I want," but then giving in and buying a copy anyway, "Because it's Pokémon!" adds to the game's revenue and sales figures.

You can bet Nintendo, TPCi, and Game Freak will be keeping watchful eyes on sales figures for Let's Go to see whether or not it's successful. I strongly doubt strong sales would cause them to only use this model for main line games going forward, but I'm sure the performance of these games will determine whether or not we see more like them in the future.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I think the only reason a debate is going on is people that are salty about it are saying it is a side game due to things like no wild battles and IVs. Which is silly because for all we know wild battles and IVs won't return in Gen 8. Maybe GF is like forget them we want to do things differently. Like what makes a core game a "core game?" SUMO had no gyms so with that logic it could be said to not be a "core game"
In fact we barely know anything about Gen 8 for now except for a scheduled release. The removal of wild battles is only limited to LGPE and IVs in some way can be incorporated like in Pokémon GO to allow variation in CP.

MewsTruck

Soooo. Its 1st of all its so cool how this thread just exploded after the announcement.

Now i just want list my likes and dislikes. Im sure some are the same as others but now having giving it a few hours and after watching the trailer a few times and the conference. I've come up with some personal point of views so to say...

Riding pokemon
The catching mechanic
2 players

DISLIKES:
Graphics
The catching mechanic
No wild battles
No camera rotation

Thats what i got from what was giving and what i noticed. Like i said before, im too happy but im over it. Just wasn't expecting what was shown and I've finally given in to the fact that its just something else that they are going for to bring in other audiences and what not. I am happy for alot of aspects they included and the work that was put in.

The big thing is if they include the following pokemon and riding pokemon and 2 player in the game next year...

BCVM22

Following and riding Pokémon have every chance to be a mainstay now that the franchise is on a system that can run those extras a little more smoothly.

Single-system co-op looks to me like it's a function of wanting to make this game as casually accessible as possible and as such I would question as to whether it returns in a more traditional core title, but it's hard to declare that definitively without knowing the ins and outs of the system yet.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
In fact we barely know anything about Gen 8 for now except for a scheduled release. The removal of wild battles is only limited to LGPE and IVs in some way can be incorporated like in Pokémon GO to allow variation in CP.

But HOW does anyone know this. My point is exactly what I bolded. Nobody knows anything yet so for all we know things could change. Personally I'd be cool with it since I feel at this point battles have become over complicated for a kid's game but at the same time I don't want insta kills which Z moves are I have yet to see an offensive Z move not finish off a pokemon with full hp.

What I really want for Gen 8 is combo moves in double battles and for attacks to hurt the terrain. Like a fire type move leaving scorch marks.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Yeah, these are definitely core series, considering they take place in a core series region and none of the spin-offs do that. They might be experimental, but they're core series nonetheless. It's a Kanto remake (maybe Yellow based on what everyone is saying and the starters), it's core series.
We know that it has differences with other core series games, especially with a more GO-oriented battle and capture system but it is also developed by Game Freak. These differences may just be enough to classify LGPE into its own classification.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
Oh looks like Oha Shuta has started I'm not expecting much but hoping they announce movie stuff or anime stuff to tie into the games in a few months.

mew 2000

Shiny Celebi
I'm not sure how this is a remake if Red and blue aren't our characters. Why keep everything else the same but change the two most iconic characters of the game?

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
But..why?
What would be the point of that?

Uhh immersion?! Who wants to play a game and not feel like they are in it? I know many people that would freak out for that and that alone.

I'm not sure how this is a remake if Red and blue aren't our characters. Why keep everything else the same but change the two most iconic characters of the game?

Who is to say things are the same? We have not really seen anything. We might have new gym leaders for example? I'm holding out for E3 before saying anything.

Creyk

Who is to say things are the same? We have not really seen anything. We might have new gym leaders for example? I'm holding out for E3 before saying anything.

They implied that the "geography" of the region remains the same so that is why people think it's all the same

BlackButterfree

Why are people suddenly thinking that Red and Leaf aren't the player characters? The male player character is literally wearing the same hairstyle as Fr/Lg Red and rocking the same windbreaker/button-up from Gen. 1! And the girl is clearly Leaf with a ponytail!

Why would Game Freak make a remake of Yellow specifically targeted at casual players who've been gone for 20 years, and then... Not include THE player character, THE rival and the gym leaders we all know and love, especially when Team Rocket's still around?

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
They implied that the "geography" of the region remains the same so that is why people think it's all the same

But in the comment they were clearly talking about characters. I mean the geography could be the same and I'm quite fine with that but it could still be a new story. Or it could be the same and the leak was wrong. Either I'm ok since to me this looks like it will actually feel more like Pokemon to me than the last two gens were.

But yeah still waiting for E3 before passing final judgment since I would not be shocked if GF give us a curve ball.

Why are people suddenly thinking that Red and Leaf aren't the player characters? The male player character is literally wearing the same hairstyle as Fr/Lg Red and rocking the same windbreaker/button-up from Gen. 1! And the girl is clearly Leaf with a ponytail!

Why would Game Freak make a remake of Yellow specifically targeted at casual players who've been gone for 20 years, and then... Not include THE player character, THE rival and the gym leaders we all know and love, especially when Team Rocket's still around?

Because it is not Red? Dude looks nothing like him. Girl doesn't look even look like Leaf. Heck looks more like a younger version of the Gen V girl. Also nobody said it was a remake most are saying it is inspired. That could just mean it is using the Pikachu/Eevee concept from Yellow but it is a new adventure in Kanto. Nobody really knows until GF gives us more to work with,

Tsukuyomi56

Emblian Royalty
Post game is likely going to be one of the biggest worry of the games as the Gen 1 post-game content is pretty much just Mewtwo (and in FRLG a subplot in the Sevii Islands and the Trainer Tower). Since the battle system has been simplified people may be disappointed if they are expecting something as robust as the Battle Frontier. I suppose they could do something with the riding Pokemon or perhaps the Raid Battles from Pokemon Go but it does not seem very optimistic for now.

Xuxuba

Well they said they are trying to appeal casual players/players who haven't played a pokemon game in a very long time.

So i don't expect them to put much thought on the postgame and battle facilities since this is something that tends to appeal less casual players.

Amyway, no news on oha suta yet?
I expect them to not have revealed anything worthwhile, like always.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord

I just don't see it. These characters look absolutely nothing like Red and Leaf to me. The hairstyle of the male really isn't that much like Red's at all, and I'm not seeing at all how the Girl is Leaf. Remakes tend to do redesigns, but the characters tend to remain recognizable afterwards. That just isn't obvious here. Maybe if you squint, a little bit, I guess. Not to mention, Red just got a redesign in Sun and Moon. I don't think they're going to redesign him again so soon.

This doesn't really seem to be a standard remake. Game Freak themselves said it was inspired by Yellow, not a remake of it. Reimagining would probably be the most accurate term at this point.

Ultra Beast Lover

It kinda looks weird having two Pokemon out like that. Although this does still allow for that other rumor to be true.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
But HOW does anyone know this. My point is exactly what I bolded. Nobody knows anything yet so for all we know things could change. Personally I'd be cool with it since I feel at this point battles have become over complicated for a kid's game but at the same time I don't want insta kills which Z moves are I have yet to see an offensive Z move not finish off a pokemon with full hp.
Yeah I believe there was someone at Game Freak who said that the battle system is becoming over-complicated with a lot of Pokémon, Abilities and moves. From that, I can see why Game Freak will cater to the younger audience by simplifying the game with less Pokémon, moves and Abilities.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Yeah I believe there was someone at Game Freak who said that the battle system is becoming over-complicated with a lot of Pokémon, Abilities and moves. From that, I can see why Game Freak will cater to the younger audience by simplifying the game with less Pokémon, moves and Abilities.
That would imply that future games will follow the Let's Go mold. I doubt that.