• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Thoughts on the Upcoming Pokemon Switch Game?

AeroVeeNex

I'm with you entirely! I'd prefer the "other" main series keep battles in wild encounters, but otherwise I totally agree.

The best possible scenario for me would be one in which two separate teams work on the old main line and the Let's Go side if the main line, and alternate release years. That reduces the likelihood that there's ever a gap year, increases the life span of "traditional" generations, and means more games and more fun for everyone.

I mean I do like seeing the Pokemon in the world since it feels more immersive especially being on home console now. I'm all for wild battles staying but seeing them in the world to me just seems cool like a lot of new jrpgs.

DSDark

Breeder
We don't really know if the CP system will have the same mechanics as Pokémon GO or not but at least it will be designed to attract GO players to the game. Even Pokémon GO has a judging system for Pokémon IVs so introducing IVs in Let's GO should not be too much of a hassle.
I highly doubt the IV system is cut, because you have to factor in the the LGE/P games still have a traditional battle set-up, and CP on its own is limited when you have to take Special Attacking moves and Special Defenses into account.

very true with IV system in GO. That could definitely be kept in Let's go and just applied to special defense, special attachk, and speed stats.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
very true with IV system in GO. That could definitely be kept in Let's go and just applied to special defense, special attachk, and speed stats.
Well seeing from that the CP system is likely going to be different in LGPE because it might as well take into account Speed, Special Attack and Special Defense.

Arcanineblitz

Why do people think that LG is cutting into gen 8s development? They have separate teams for different games and if LG never existed we’d still be getting gen 8 in 2019.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I'm hoping the Safari Zone shows Pokemon actually interacting with each other instead of just grazing around.
I was thinking about My Pokémon Ranch where Pokémon can interact with other Pokémon and people and because that was on the Wii, I can certainly think Game Freak can pull this off in the new Switch game.

PirateKing

I like how the colors of the street and buildings match up not only with the city names, but they look like the colors you'd see when you played RBY on a Gameboy Color.
Hope they give us the Cerulean City blue, Saffaron City Yellow and Vermillion city Red

500px-Pokemon_RBY_FuchsiaCity.png

GSxDtDY.jpg

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Why do people think that LG is cutting into gen 8s development? They have separate teams for different games and if LG never existed we’d still be getting gen 8 in 2019.

Because Game Freak is developing this game when they could be developing something else. If there was another developer or if Game Freak massively increased their staff (like, by 50% or something), then it wouldn't be as bad because the new staff would offset the increased workload. But since that's not the case it means Game Freak is spending less time on the other main series games and they're going to suffer in some way. Be it a delayed release, cut features they didn't have time to include, or just less polish, the other games will suffer in some way for the time Game Freak is spending on LG. This ties into an economic concept called "opportunity cost", when you look at decision making it's not just about evaluating the objective value of a decision, but its value relative to all other possible decisions.

Orphalesion

Because people don't always have insight into how developers plan and execute their projects. While it might not have been that way in the Red/Green days by now we know that GF is big enough to run several projects parallel to each other and that quite possibly the Let's Go team has no or very little overlap with the "Pokemon 2019" team, so it stands to reason that saying "Let's Go" cuts into "Pokemon 2019"'s development time is like saying ORAS cut into SuMo's development time.

Still, since they don't run a completely transparent operation (which would be a pretty bad idea) the uncertainty stays with some that Let's Go might, possibly harm Gen 8 in some way.

AeroVeeNex

Because people don't always have insight into how developers plan and execute their projects. While it might not have been that way in the Red/Green days by now we know that GF is big enough to run several projects parallel to each other and that quite possibly the Let's Go team has no or very little overlap with the "Pokemon 2019" team, so it stands to reason that saying "Let's Go" cuts into "Pokemon 2019"'s development time is like saying ORAS cut into SuMo's development time.

Still, since they don't run a completely transparent operation (which would be a pretty bad idea) the uncertainty stays with some that Let's Go might, possibly harm Gen 8 in some way.

Not to mention GF has been making non Pokemon games the last few years during Pokemon dev. I think people don't know that

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master

I see now more and more that Let's GO is ultimately another part of Game Freak's notorious "baby steps" process.

We all know the 2019 title is set to be big, but of course, Game Freak isn't going to go smack dab right into it. They need to test the waters first. Thus, the already planned GO/console crossover became that test. Literally every pokemon found in that game has several unique animations and models, but there are only 151 pokemon. This is Game Freak starting small, as usual. It's not easy making these extensive models for nearly 1,000 characters. Hell, I'm still impressed with what they've accomplished in Gens 6 and 7. Let's GO is really an insight to where they are currently with the 2019 title. This is our demo; the main event comes in the second half of 2019.

Arcanineblitz

I see now more and more that Let's GO is ultimately another part of Game Freak's notorious "baby steps" process.

We all know the 2019 title is set to be big, but of course, Game Freak isn't going to go smack dab right into it. They need to test the waters first. Thus, the already planned GO/console crossover became that test. Literally every pokemon found in that game has several unique animations and models, but there are only 151 pokemon. This is Game Freak starting small, as usual. It's not easy making these extensive models for nearly 1,000 characters. Hell, I'm still impressed with what they've accomplished in Gens 6 and 7. Let's GO is really an insight to where they are currently with the 2019 title. This is our demo; the main event comes in the second half of 2019.
I was thinking the same thing! I think X and Y were the baby steps they took to refine the Pokémon formula on the 3ds and LETS GO while set to be for new players is a big experiment where they see what’s popular and what’s lacking with what they currently have.

Ariki

I like that Gamefreak is willing to experiment and change the formula every generation. It really has kept the series fresh and I do like how they’ve responded to fan feedback, even salty fan commentary about the series.

I was watching a YouTube video today of Poketubers react to Ultra Necrozma and it was ever so satisfying to see the more overly confident, dismissful ones get smacked up by Ultra Necrozma.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Anybody think we will give us something for E3?
I do expect something at E3, perhaps a live demonstration of the capture mechanics or maybe a thirty-minute livestream of the first thirty minutes of gameplay.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
After watching the trailer more, I see that there is (thankfully) no map grid in this game.

This means there will be free movement, much like Sun and Moon. I particularly noticed this while seeing the players in Mt. Moon. One player turned diagonally upwards, going right, while the other made a sharp turn going left right behind the first player. This pleases me greatly, as it means there will be more freedom to the game, even if only slightly.

AeroVeeNex

I like that Gamefreak is willing to experiment and change the formula every generation. It really has kept the series fresh and I do like how they’ve responded to fan feedback, even salty fan commentary about the series.

I was watching a YouTube video today of Poketubers react to Ultra Necrozma and it was ever so satisfying to see the more overly confident, dismissful ones get smacked up by Ultra Necrozma.

Wow looking at USUMO and seeing Let's GO it is amazing how much better Let's GO actually looks. Didn't notice till I compared them.

Anybody think we will give us something for E3?

I'd be shocked if it was not at E3. It's now a home console system and E3 focuses more on that than anything. Though I guess unless sony makes a new handheld every game at E3 is going to be home console only.

Orphalesion

After watching the trailer more, I see that there is (thankfully) no map grid in this game.

This means there will be free movement, much like Sun and Moon. I particularly noticed this while seeing the players in Mt. Moon. One player turned diagonally upwards, going right, while the other made a sharp turn going left right behind the first player. This pleases me greatly, as it means there will be more freedom to the game, even if only slightly.

Yeah the movement is not grid based, but unfortunately the map design is still based on the (grid based) original versions. So there'll be free movement in a grid-designed world.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Yeah the movement is not grid based, but unfortunately the map design is still based on the (grid based) original versions. So there'll be free movement in a grid-designed world.

I am totally okay with that, as I expect all Pokémon games to have a grid-designed world, in some form or another.

I'm just excited to do the kind of exploring I couldn't do back in the day. Maybe this time I'll get to actually look under that truck and find Mew discover some cool secrets hidden in the game.