• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Thoughts on the Upcoming Pokemon Switch Game?

Sephiroth_Strife

I agree. I just wish there was more to it. Hopefully Let's GO expands on these mechanics. Maybe they could do something similar to the Ranger Series where our Pokemon partake in the capturing through inflicting status' or something similar. I don't want it to be the repetitive throw a Poke Ball capture system in GO. As much I am bored of it now, I think it's a great concept that should definitely be expanded upon.

I've had thoughts about when you're capturing Pokemon in the water, they will sometimes dive under and move around the screen, making the capture feel more immersive rather than standing around that feels so mechanical. Maybe Psychic Pokemon could sort of distort the screen with their telepathic abilities, maybe an illusion of being captured when it really wasn't.

Or maybe each Pokemon has their own sort of capture minigame. An example is Diglett in Diglett Cave could go underground and appear in different area's each time.. maybe the area is surrounded by holes and Diglett moves around a la Whack-a-Mole Style. I feel that would be neat and make this system less repetitive.

I'd prefer the capturing system if it felt more of an engaging minigame rather than a very simplistic maneuver. These are just my thoughts on what they could do with the system.
This would be super cool, but I'd still want to have the battles in there. What I'd like in the 2019 core game is a blend of both mechanics. For example you jump into a wild pokemon battle and if you go right to throwing the ball with HP in green, it's got a red circle for low capture percentage. Then fighting down to yellow HP levels gives a yellow circle and red HP gives green circle all like in Go, but with the fighting still being necessary to increase the odds of a successful capture. For fans of Pokemon Go who have never played a core game before, this would be a good way of introducing them to how core games work without scaring them off being so different.

I'm 100% okay with throwing in the gyro and motion controls to make catching wild pokemon into more of an interactive experience though! Though maybe as more of an optional thing in case you decide you do just wanna zone out and mash A to throw balls at the legendaries until they decide to stay in when it comes to the 2019 game.

I am loving the concept of no HMs in Let's Go though. It's about dang time that any monster logically capable of carrying a human child/tween through the air, over water, or across other terrain can do so without taking up a move slot.

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
What if all Pokemon had their anime cries in the new game? The Switch is capable of it.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I is, I struggled with some motion controlled techniques in Super Mario Odyssey but I got the hang got the hang of it now. I hope we have the option of just using a button...
Yeah definitely. If they don't then I expect the use of the right joystick to control the throwing motion of a Poké Ball.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I’ve gotten back into Go recently, and comparing it with the main games, I think I’m now actually onboard with the games keeping its capture system.

I compared how much fun I was having when an individual Pokémon took like 20 balls to catch.

In the regular games, once you got a Pokémon to red health, all you do is just monotonously go into the menu, choose your ball, and repeat 20 tines until that Rayquaza finally decides to stay in. In Go, if a Pokémon takes 20 balls to catch, it’s so much more engaging because I’m atleast doing something every single time. The actual act of catching the Pokémon is what becomes the fun part instead of feeling like I’m just rolling a dice to see if they’ll stay in or not. It gives me the same feeling of pressing “Down B” every time I throw a ball, I know it doesn’t do anything, but it makes me feel like a part of the process, and when the capture is successful, I feel like I had a hand in it. PoGo capturing does this really well since capturing the Pokémon is much more dependent on you.

It’s definitely subjective, but I found long battles much more of an active experience in Go, and i think combining that with a main game is going to be a winning combination that a lot of people are gonna warm up to.

I'm not necessarily okay with the change as it is, but what I would be more than okay with is if future games combine the two capture methods. Have you battle the wild Pokémon, and then once you select a Pokéball from the menu, you can throw it Go-style. That way we get the best of both worlds. We get the strategy based battling, as well as the skill-based throwing. I think it would be better than it was before this way.

Arcanineblitz

I do love that for Pokémon let’s go they added some fan favorite features like Pokémon following you, riding Pokémon and most importantly co-op gameplay. I do wish it was online co op since I don’t have irl friends that play Pokémon

AeroVeeNex

It just hit me that The Incercbles came out the same year as FR/LG and now the sequel is coming out the same year as another Kanto remake. Weird how things work out

Cerex

Two observations that I heard yesterday have really stuck with me about this game. The first is, if there was going to be a region/Gen that GameFreak wanted to try out a more casual experience Kanto/Gen I was the best candidate. Had we gotten a remake of D/P/Pt in this format rather than a true remake I think the fan base would be way more upset/disappointed. So in that regard, this makes sense.

The second observation is related to that, in that, to the best of my recollection, GameFreak/Nintendo has never had to issue so many clarifications and reassurances about a future Pokemon game release, and the guarantee that a more traditional series is still actively being developed. I hope it doesn't spook the developers into sticking with the mold, because I genuinely think the fan base wouldn't mind a drastic shake up, so long as it is good--and getting rid of wild Pokemon battles and limiting the Pokedex to 1/7th the size isn't my idea of good. It also points to, I think, unsatisfaction with the current Gen. Had S/M/US/UM really taken with the player base, I think we would be less antsy about LGP/E, because you would just write it off as just a spin-off experience game to hold you by while Gen VIII is being worked on. We've experienced similar development windows before, but there seems to be a hunger for us to move on from the Alolan region.

Sαpphire

Johto Champion
I knew these would be smash hits.

There's no way you throw Kanto on the Switch - with Go connectivity, no less - and don't sell boatloads.

PirateKing

I knew these would be smash hits.

There's no way you throw Kanto on the Switch - with Go connectivity, no less - and don't sell boatloads.

Agreed, this game is absolutely the perfect storm. It’s on a console that’s approaching (or will maybe even surpass) Wii level popularity.
It’s a remake of the most popular games in the series, with the most recognizable Pokémon as a cover star.
And the GO factor is gonna be huge.

PoGo was downloaded 700 million times.
700 Million!!! That’s almost 1/8 of the entire human race! I’m no mathematician, but I think even even if one of every 100 people who downloaded PoGo got this, it would still be a massive boost.

DSDark

Breeder
This is honestly disappointing that the preorder numbers are so high. We the fans of pokemon are blind sheep, simply following and consuming without any thought that our action mean. By constantly buy these watered games you are tell gamefreak and pokemon company that this is okay and acceptable.

Yes I know the 2019 appear from what we are being to told to be the greatest game ever but that doesn't mean we eat garbage until 2019

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
Agreed, this game is absolutely the perfect storm. It’s on a console that’s approaching (or will maybe even surpass) Wii level popularity.
It’s a remake of the most popular games in the series, with the most recognizable Pokémon as a cover star.
And the GO factor is gonna be huge.

PoGo was downloaded 700 million times.
700 Million!!! That’s almost 1/8 of the entire human race! I’m no mathematician, but I think even even if one of every 100 people who downloaded PoGo got this, it would still be a massive boost.
Even 1 in 1000 would be more than any other pokemon game has sold. I doubt it would hit RBY numbers, but I wouldn't be surprised if enough casuals, beginners, and just plain old GO fans buy it to make it surpass most of the other entries in the series.

This is honestly disappointing that the preorder numbers are so high. We the fans of pokemon are blind sheep, simply following and consuming without any thought that our action mean. By constantly buy these watered games you are tell gamefreak and pokemon company that this is okay and acceptable.

Yes I know the 2019 appear from what we are being to told to be the greatest game ever but that doesn't mean we eat garbage until 2019
you don't even know what these games are like yet. Try to contain your doom and gloom until we know more about the gameplay, plot, and all the other features.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan

Julia Artemis

Okay have fun being a contrarian. This game looks fun and a will probably have a decent amount of playability until the 2019 game comes out. Only disappointed by only 150 Pokemon. But maybe they'll be updates like Go and we'll het more Pokemon. I mean FRLG had more Pokemon available post game so maybe they'll do that again. Sorry you can't enjoy fun things

Arcanineblitz

Ah yes we are all sheep and you are the chosen one the only one brave enough trash a game you know nothing about it couldn’t be that game freak over the years has given us quality games and fun experience that build up trust between them and the consumers please screech at us about how casual you think it will be and save us all from big GAME FREAK

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
Only disappointed by only 150 Pokemon. But maybe they'll be updates like Go and we'll het more Pokemon. I mean FRLG had more Pokemon available post game so maybe they'll do that again.
look at Kage-Pikachu's link a few posts up
He started out with some talk on Pokémon: Let’s Go, Pikachu! and Let’s Go, Eevee!:
  • “The reason we can release a new Pokémon game at this timing is because development started when the Switch launched.”
  • “The process and tempo of catching Pokémon Let’s Go is completely different. You can swing the Joy-Con with a single hand to toss the Poké Ball, so it has a much different feel to it.”
  • “In two-player the other player will get to help catch Pokémon.”
  • “We’re thinking about adding new Pokémon. Considering that it is a remake of Pokémon Yellow, we plan to add new elements such as Pokémon we’ll see for the first time to go with the new looks and play style.

Kage-Pikachu

Anyone think LGP/E will have hints to gen 8? I'm sure Game Freak will throw in some Easter Eggs like characters or dialogue or items, maybe we'll find something in the Unknown Dungeon.

I just wonder "where" they will add the new Pokemon if they decide to do so. You think this may hint at another place to explore after Kanto even if it isn't Johto?