• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Thoughts on the Upcoming Pokemon Switch Game?

BCVM22

Just admit that a product can objectively have flaws. If you can't do that, you have bigger problems than this discussion.

Goalposts moved and noted. A pleasant morrow to you.

Do you guys think that if a pokemon if shiny, it will be visible in the overworld?

IGN says:
A Nintendo representative confirmed to us that shiny Pokemon will also be represented in some way in the overworld, but that feature wasn’t displayed in our demo.

FrozTKnight

Will ORA ORA ORA you
Anyone notice you don't need a NPC to nickname your Pokémon?

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Anyone notice you don't need a NPC to nickname your Pokémon?
You mean nicknaming Pokémon on the go, right? Well that makes sense considering the player can change the nicknames of their Pokémon readily in Pokémon GO.

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。
Again, you are stretching the subjectivity argument quite a bit.

If you think my thesis is invalid because the product isn't available yet, you clearly don't understand the concept of reviewing a product before you buy it, which is what we're all doing now.

The product has been presented and explained. I've reviewed it and weighed the pros and cons. The cons wildly exceed the pros, and it has nothing to do with what I think. It has to do with the fact that you would literally be paying for something you already have, and that is not subjective. Comfort aside (which is about as far as the subjectivity argument can possibly stretch), if people want to pay for something they already have, that's up to them, but let's not BS the situation by throwing out the "another man's treasure" thesis.
The invalidity of your thesis comes from your bias against the product due to its price, non-functionality and cons exceeding pros, which all of them are considered subjective even if you refuse to agree. For me personally, I find the Joy-Con affordable, functional and most likely fun to play and having enough pros to buy it.

If you've searched the market before, you'd see products such as HORI Pokken Controller, VENOM Mario Aces Tennis Rackets and similar products that makes the game immersive, and simply Poke Ball Plus is no different than those controllers. Not to mention the Pokken Controller got sold out shortly after its release, but according to your view, people who bought it wasted their money as they already had a controller to play the game anyway.

In short, your thesis is based on your opinions about the product, and that I respect. But, we have to make our researches, analyze the market, preview and review the product to come up with a mutual decision that we call objective.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
In short, your thesis is based on your opinions about the product, and that I respect. But, we have to make our researches, analyze the market, preview and review the product to come up with a mutual decision that we call objective.

The product having functions the Switch and game already possess is not an opinion; it's a fact.

That is what my thesis is based on. I do believe I've mentioned that in my very first post. In fact, I literally said that:

You're paying for features you already possess,

Either you haven't been paying attention, or you simply didn't care to. I'm going for the latter.

Arcanineblitz

My cousin doesn’t have complete control of hands due to an accident and the pokeball plus is simple enough to where he can join me in playing Pokémon if anything that’s worth more than the $50 plus he’ll get a new friend in mew.

Cradily17

If you are of the belief that Game Freak is “incompetent” and you are “consistently questioning your trust in this company,” again, that’s your prerogative, but please don’t pretend that’s any kind of definitive reality or even widely held gospel.
"This isn't for me and I hate it so I hope it fails" is an intensely silly and senseless way to regard this game.
I would argue this continued notion borders on selfishness, because the message it projects is that the only Pokémon games Game Freak should be making are those that appeal to the HARDCORE (thunder, lightning, echo) fans and everyone else is meaningless and can go fork themselves. And I don't think that's a great viewpoint to hold, when spelled out like that.
I would go as far as to argue that anyone legitimately concerned that the filthy casuals are going to ruin their hardcore Pokémon, despite being told multiple times to the contrary, is engaging in willfull ignorance solely in the name of overreacting.
But then, if you're paying for the PBP and getting a Mew with it, isn't Mew "free" technically? Or maybe you're paying $50 for a Mew, and also getting a functional controller with it. Or maybe you're paying $25 each for the controller and the Mew and they come as a mandatory package deal.
Sliced up any which way, you're paying for one thing and getting another with it. What will vary from person to person, as with anything, is the subjective value of the controller and/or the Pokémon.
Goalposts moved and noted. A pleasant morrow to you.

How much does GameFreak pay you to constantly defend every questionable decision they make?

Creyk

He disagrees with you so he’s a payed gamefreak agent? Get a grip I know this is a Pokémon forum and it’s a lot to ask but grow up.

His approach is pretty silly, come on now.

Anyway, when it comes to the pokeball, I am not even bothered by the price, but mew? I know it's a mythical, but the design is so plain, the moveset so uninteresting, the base 100 stat spread so boring, I wouldn't even use that pokemon if I got it for free. I don't get the hype around that one other than the fact that it was an elusive pokemon 20 years ago.

Arcanineblitz

Anyway, when it comes to the pokeball, I am not even bothered by the price, but mew? I know it's a mythical, but the design is so plain, the moveset so uninteresting, the base 100 stat spread so boring, I wouldn't even use that pokemon if I got it for free. I don't get the hype around that one other than the fact that it was an elusive pokemon 20 years ago.
And what’s his approach? He’s disagreeing and supporting why he believes so and because you don’t like what he says he’s a shill? That type of attitude is toxic to actual discussion

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist

Agreed, the pokeball isn't that great either though since it's literally the same thing as the normal controller but with a different grip and less amount of buttons, and will hopefully be obsolete after these games. Good for the people who can't hold a normal controller, I guess, except that they're making them spend another 50$ to be able to use it, how nice of them lol.

They should probably just tell people now if they're giving away Mew in the future for free... oh wait that'll make them less money by not tricking fans (or using this "tactic" however you want to put it).

Chimchar15

So after looking at the new gameplay shown at the treehouse presentation I'm actually more excited to play these games. Kanto is looking absolutely gorgeous, the character models look great, and the region looks so full of life with Pokemon walking around. While I still would love to battle wild Pokemon I'm okay with just being able to capture them since we still have regular trainer battles. The new changes they made for beginning players like having to have a water or grass type Pokemon in your party to face Brock doesn't bother me since we're not forced to actually use the Pokemon itself. Speaking of Brock I love how they added the audience at the upper level to his gym but keeping the rest of his gym the same. It gives his gym new life without feeling over the top. The pokeball accessory looks awesome! Being able to play the entire game with a pokeball will make the game feel a lot more immersive to me and being able to get Mew as a bonus is icing on the cake. Overall these games looks like they're going to be a lot more fun then I expected them to be.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
lGood for the people who can't hold a normal controller, I guess, except that they're making them spend another 50$ to be able to use it, how nice of them lol.

Only the Switch comes with two controllers, so you really don't have a need for another one when it comes to Let's GO, and the ball has nearly the same physical functionality as the Joy-Con when flipped vertically. The only real difference is it's a PokéBall.

Sαpphire

Johto Champion
You'd think people don't understand that games are a product, Game Freak is a commercial company, and peripheral devices are made literally to make money.

It's not like any of this, in 2018, is unprecedented, new, out of the ordinary, surprising, or somehow morally corrupt. It's not like this doesn't fall squarely within the boundaries of what is considered acceptable in modern gaming and entertainment.

Get it, or don't. Buy the functional, officially sanctioned novelty controller, or don't. Get the freebie that comes with it, or don't.

But for the sake of all of us, don't blow this up into Game Freak "locking Pokémon behind a paywall." It's inaccurate and ill-informed, and it's just childish to be up in arms about it when you don't even know if there will be other ways to get Mew - which, as BCVM22 has tried to clarify, does not strictly fall within the 150 you should expect to be able to get between the two versions, has always been an event Pokémon, and won't count toward in-game completion metrics.

Good lord.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
But for the sake of all of us, don't blow this up into Game Freak "locking Pokémon behind a paywall." It's inaccurate and ill-informed, and it's just childish to be up in arms about it when you don't even know if there will be other ways to get Mew - which, as BCVM22 has tried to clarify, does not strictly fall within the 150 you should expect to be able to get between the two versions, has always been an event Pokémon, and won't count toward in-game completion metrics.

Good lord.

Well no duh there will eventually be other ways, but it won't be immediately following the game's release, and Game Freak saw to it that Pokémon GO will not be a route. So yes, until the eventual day comes that Mew is offered in a way other than the PokéBall Plus, it is technically behind a paywall.

I'm not bothered by that, personally. With or without the pokemon, the product has little practical value.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
I'm just stunned people aren't excited to play Pokémon with a Poké Ball!! How incredible is that!!!!!

Kage-Pikachu

Maybe I'll get the Pokeball at a later date when (if) the price drops...

I think if Game Freak eventually added more features to these games in the form of FREE DLC that many problems would be solved. Hopefully if they get enough feedback they'll respond by added more online features. I'm probably a little too optimistic about that though.

Was it ever confirmed whether or not Abilities were in the game?

Arcanineblitz

Maybe I'll get the Pokeball at a later date when (if) the price drops...

I think if Game Freak eventually added more features to these games in the form of FREE DLC that many problems would be solved. Hopefully if they get enough feedback they'll respond by added more online features. I'm probably a little too optimistic about that though.

Was it ever confirmed whether or not Abilities were in the game?
I’m interested in seeing if they’ll have regional updates to this game, of course it would be payed since that’s a lot of work but I’d love to see a johto update and maybe hoenn