• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Thoughts on the Upcoming Pokemon Switch Game?

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
I'm not sure what you mean. It's very easy for a sibling to go on a sibling's phone, and release a Pokémon to mess with them as a "prank."

That is not an accident. That is a deliberate deletion, even if as a prank.

Your entire reply only furthers my point. There is no way to 'accidentally' release a pokemon. In order to release a pokemon without intention, you must neither be unable to read - which is paradoxical given the game by default requires some degree of reading capability - or simply not be paying attention, which would be entirely your fault.

Satoshi & Touko

Peanuts aren't just a nut.
Honestly, I've become perfectly accepting now of the fact that these games exist, even if as of right now I still have no inclination to buy them.

Creyk

Honestly, I've become perfectly accepting now of the fact that these games exist, even if as of right now I still have no inclination to buy them.

I feel the same. The game is not good enough to actually spend money on it, but watching the let's play videos will be interesting. At least then I will be able to skip the pokemon catching parts as without battles, they seem super mundane.

erickexl

I feel the same. The game is not good enough to actually spend money on it, but watching the let's play videos will be interesting. At least then I will be able to skip the pokemon catching parts as without battles, they seem super mundane.

Agreed. For some reason, I feel like If I watch Let's Plays of these, then it's just going to be constant complaining instead of them actually enjoying the game.

And yes LilligantLewis, I'd prefer it if the Overworld did not have pokemon running around like that. I much prefer the DexNav approach in ORAS, where pokemon stick their tail/head out. I also feel this takes away the excitement of encountering wild Pokemon when you can just straight up see them.

It just looks like a complete mess of NPCs running around.
There's honestly no appeal whatsoever with them walking around like mindless creatures. I've suggested they could have pokemon interacting with you or the environment. Maybe you can find Pokemon drinking water from a Lake or something. They don't appear to move like actual animals/creatures, they just seem so mechanical and a bit lifeless.

Hopefully, Overworld Pokemon stays in Let's go. The way it's implemented is just so underwhelming.

Sαpphire

Johto Champion
This is the very first time Game Freak is even touching a Switch, though. They likely haven't even nearly optimized overworld Pokémon AI - it'll get far better in future titles if incorporated. Right now, it might be at a very basic stage of development; it may even be improved in the final game.

Remember, all we have is footage of a demo version produced specifically for E3, with five months until release. That leaves quite a lot of information to be distributed.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I'd also like to know what makes you guys perfectly fine with paying $60 for this game that appears to have less content than previous titles that were brimming with content.

The simple answer is that while games certainly look worse than most Pokémon games, they're not so much worse that I don't think they're not worth buying. Sure, I'd appreciate still being able to battle wild Pokémon and to have a more difficult game, but even without those features, this is still a Pokémon game, with mostly traditional Pokémon gameplay.

And, for me personally, I've always dreamed of having Pokémon on a console instead of a handheld, so there's no way I'm missing the franchise's first outing on a console.

Tsukuyomi56

Emblian Royalty
Going to have to agree with on that, as alluring as Pokemon’s first foray on the Switch may be I am content on skipping the games if I don’t think I will enjoy playing them that much.

Sαpphire

Johto Champion
Well since the "why do you like this?" question has been put out there now... I'll put forth my (positive and constructive!) two cents.

I don't actually think that these games seem "worse" in any way. I'm not on that side, I don't see them that way. That's why I come across with a very different perspective (and why, as I've touched on before, it can be pretty unpleasant to try to come in here to talk about new games I'm excited for, just to see post upon post about how horrible they are and how they're killing the franchise).

These games seem different. They seem like a new approach, an easy game to have time to play while I'm working full time in IT, and an experience that's both familiar and a little new at the same time. They are by far the best in the series to date, graphically - like by light years. They look great! They give us following Pokémon on top of an out-of-ball starter, they incorporate connectivity with Go, and they seem to have the classic Kanto story, which we haven't seen in well over a decade.

I'm not a competitive player - I was done with that scene right years ago, and it's only grown less appealing to me since. I like a challenge, but I also like just being able to play without roadblocks like Whitney or Liza & Tate or others (who, granted, probably only seemed tough in the first place because I was a kid). I like being able to play without my hand being held, but I don't mind guidance if it's not as mind-numbingly intrusive as Clippy Rotom was.

I'm willing to pay $60 because they're a Switch game, they're a main series Pokémon game, they're bright and happy and look fun, and they just look like something I want to play.

Maybe it's just that i have less time on my hands and can't be bothered to care about things to which some people take major offense - they just seem nitpicky and trivial. Part of it's going to be a function of privilege; I make plenty of money and won't miss the hundred dollars I drop on the game and Pokeball bundle. Part still is probably because I've never disliked a game in this series (now, anyway, after finishing and replaying lol) and while I miss features like the Frontier deeply, I don't hate the Kalos approach - I'm okay with it being a little easier, especially when I can artificially introduce my own difficulty or challenge.

I'm excited for these games, I absolutely love that they're happening instead of a gap year, I'm not worries about what they might or might not mean for the series going forward, and I can't wait to play them. That's all!

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
To me having it on a console doesn't add any value on its own. It just means it's a lot more expensive. €60 is a lot of money, it's over 40% more expensive than Sun and Moon were. I don't have a TV that I can hook a Switch up to, so to me the Switch is just another hand-held. So if I were to be convinced buying it, I'd expect a lot more content compared to Sun and Moon, and it just doesn't look like that's the case with the removal of stuff like the Battle Spot and wild pokémon battles. As it is I'm scared for the actual mechanics. I've seen the video Serebii posted on Youtube of Viridian Forest and I saw the Butterfree flying all over the screen when they were trying to catch it. I'm horrible at motion controls, I can't catch anything with the pokéfinder on Motion Control Mode. I can't reach over 2000 lightyears in the Ultra Warpride on motion control mode, while I can get over 6000 lightyears on the circle-pad mode, and the motion control mode is the default, so I'm assuming GameFreak figured that was the mode that was easiest and the one everyone would use. I'm honestly concerned I'd waste dozens of balls every time I had to catch something, and I'd have to catch loads of things to keep up the levels with my playing style. And even if Pokéballs were free I can imagine it'd still be really frustrating to have to grind that way. With battles you can just launch moves over and over again and the wild pokémon will faint, there's a certain reliability in it and with every attack you make progress. With catch-based grinding with every escape or every time you miss the ball or w/e you're essentially just wasting time without progress. Even if on average it's going to be as fast or even faster levelling, it will feel more frustrating every time the pokémon broke out again because it'd feel as if the game is just stalling you and just tormenting you. Making it difficult to catch a pokémon isn't a bad thing if the reward is that that pokémon will be with your team for the rest of your journey and will grow with you, learn new moves, and evolve and everything. But if it's just one of hundreds of pokémon doomed to be converted into a little bit of exp and candy it's just going to be annoying.

To be fair, I have never said anything of the sorts that these games would be the end of the franchise. I have only stated that these games are not for me for various reasons. And to be fair, there's been toxicity and generalisation spread from both sides in this thread. I don't feel like calling out names, I'm not going to minimod here, but there have been sarcastic flamebaiting and just degrading comments made in this thread towards people that don't like these games too.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
This being the first main series game on a home console (more like a hybrid console) is one thing but despite that it doesn’t make me want to buy the game more and for that case it’ll be better for me to watch Let’s Play videos at first.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Pokémon in the overworld is indeed a neat concept but imo, from what I’ve seen so far, it does look a bit cluttered (Cycling Road looked fine though). I just hope things don’t get too messy, heh. I doubt it will but still
Maybe it depends on the area.

I can see woods and some grassy areas having more Pokemon than others.

windwakemeup

Bee Prince
Well since the "why do you like this?" question has been put out there now... I'll put forth my (positive and constructive!) two cents.

I don't actually think that these games seem "worse" in any way. I'm not on that side, I don't see them that way. That's why I come across with a very different perspective (and why, as I've touched on before, it can be pretty unpleasant to try to come in here to talk about new games I'm excited for, just to see post upon post about how horrible they are and how they're killing the franchise).

These games seem different. They seem like a new approach, an easy game to have time to play while I'm working full time in IT, and an experience that's both familiar and a little new at the same time. They are by far the best in the series to date, graphically - like by light years. They look great! They give us following Pokémon on top of an out-of-ball starter, they incorporate connectivity with Go, and they seem to have the classic Kanto story, which we haven't seen in well over a decade.

I'm not a competitive player - I was done with that scene right years ago, and it's only grown less appealing to me since. I like a challenge, but I also like just being able to play without roadblocks like Whitney or Liza & Tate or others (who, granted, probably only seemed tough in the first place because I was a kid). I like being able to play without my hand being held, but I don't mind guidance if it's not as mind-numbingly intrusive as Clippy Rotom was.

I'm willing to pay $60 because they're a Switch game, they're a main series Pokémon game, they're bright and happy and look fun, and they just look like something I want to play.

Maybe it's just that i have less time on my hands and can't be bothered to care about things to which some people take major offense - they just seem nitpicky and trivial. Part of it's going to be a function of privilege; I make plenty of money and won't miss the hundred dollars I drop on the game and Pokeball bundle. Part still is probably because I've never disliked a game in this series (now, anyway, after finishing and replaying lol) and while I miss features like the Frontier deeply, I don't hate the Kalos approach - I'm okay with it being a little easier, especially when I can artificially introduce my own difficulty or challenge.

I'm excited for these games, I absolutely love that they're happening instead of a gap year, I'm not worries about what they might or might not mean for the series going forward, and I can't wait to play them. That's all!

I feel much the same way and I've been playing since Red/Blue. And all this talk about "Oh no the casuals are getting into MY pokemon game" makes me really want to detach myself from the fandom permanently because Y'all are toxic.

My parents, for instance, could not figure out ORAS. They kept getting stuck and needed my help. LGPE is the only 0nes that they seem interested in, easy enough to understand, and I might be able to play together with them without them getting stuck or confused all the time.

Pokemon is for little kids and people like my parents too, and I hate that people have been so negative about things that will help newcomers, especially the children that the game is ultimately catered to, get into the franchise.

So my response to all this hate is basically: "This one pokemon game out of all of the games that have come out isn't catered to you, get over your smug elitism."

Last edited:

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
To me having it on a console doesn't add any value on its own. It just means it's a lot more expensive. €60 is a lot of money, it's over 40% more expensive than Sun and Moon were. I don't have a TV that I can hook a Switch up to, so to me the Switch is just another hand-held. So if I were to be convinced buying it, I'd expect a lot more content compared to Sun and Moon, and it just doesn't look like that's the case with the removal of stuff like the Battle Spot and wild pokémon battles. As it is I'm scared for the actual mechanics. I've seen the video Serebii posted on Youtube of Viridian Forest and I saw the Butterfree flying all over the screen when they were trying to catch it. I'm horrible at motion controls, I can't catch anything with the pokéfinder on Motion Control Mode. I can't reach over 2000 lightyears in the Ultra Warpride on motion control mode, while I can get over 6000 lightyears on the circle-pad mode, and the motion control mode is the default, so I'm assuming GameFreak figured that was the mode that was easiest and the one everyone would use. I'm honestly concerned I'd waste dozens of balls every time I had to catch something, and I'd have to catch loads of things to keep up the levels with my playing style. And even if Pokéballs were free I can imagine it'd still be really frustrating to have to grind that way. With battles you can just launch moves over and over again and the wild pokémon will faint, there's a certain reliability in it and with every attack you make progress. With catch-based grinding with every escape or every time you miss the ball or w/e you're essentially just wasting time without progress. Even if on average it's going to be as fast or even faster levelling, it will feel more frustrating every time the pokémon broke out again because it'd feel as if the game is just stalling you and just tormenting you. Making it difficult to catch a pokémon isn't a bad thing if the reward is that that pokémon will be with your team for the rest of your journey and will grow with you, learn new moves, and evolve and everything. But if it's just one of hundreds of pokémon doomed to be converted into a little bit of exp and candy it's just going to be annoying.

To be fair, I have never said anything of the sorts that these games would be the end of the franchise. I have only stated that these games are not for me for various reasons. And to be fair, there's been toxicity and generalisation spread from both sides in this thread. I don't feel like calling out names, I'm not going to minimod here, but there have been sarcastic flamebaiting and just degrading comments made in this thread towards people that don't like these games too.

I agree with you on that. It's why I'll be getting just the one game most likely for Let's Go and if I get the others... it would be at a buy one get one 40% off sale as getting them full price would be well over $100 dollars.

I'm in the same boat as you tv wise. My regular tv still works and I plan on upgrading some day, but it's not a priority. But it's still yet another thing price wise to think about along side getting a Switch.

windwakemeup

Bee Prince
For a person complaining about toxicity, telling others to die is somewhat hypocritical to be honest.
I did change it before you responded (Tone doesn't go over text and it's a saying from a friend group that doesn't translate well over here because it's sort of an inside saying). Changed it to exactly what was meant.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Sure the Pokémon appearing all over in the overworld is based on the wild Pokémon in Pokémon GO but there is certainly a lot more Pokémon there so it definitely seems to be a complication of things.

FrozTKnight

Will ORA ORA ORA you
Was wondering if its the correct thing to say that GF is making the mechanics much more simple or dumbing down the gameplay. The wild encounter mechanic is not even that complex, its extremely easy lower HP throw Pokeball. It feels like GF is just removing the process which could be explained as "tedious" to the regular players and making the process of catching Pokemon much faster so the players could focus more on battling NPC trainers.

Regular catching process - Run around -> encounter Pokemon -> Lower HP (or throw quick ball) -> give status ailment (optional) -> Throw Pokeball (if failed repeat till caught)

Go catching process Run around -> encounter Pokemon -> Throw Pokeball (if failed repeat till caught)

They just skipped 2 steps to make much more faster.

More evidence is how they have replaced EV training with candies making it much more easier to training Pokemon to give them better stats.

erickexl

I feel much the same way and I've been playing since Red/Blue. And all this talk about "Oh no the casuals are getting into MY pokemon game" makes me really want to detach myself from the fandom permanently because Y'all are toxic.

My parents, for instance, could not figure out ORAS. They kept getting stuck and needed my help. LGPE is the only 0nes that they seem interested in, easy enough to understand, and I might be able to play together with them without them getting stuck or confused all the time.

Pokemon is for little kids and people like my parents too, and I hate that people have been so negative about things that will help newcomers, especially the children that the game is ultimately catered to, get into the franchise.

So my response to all this hate is basically: "This one pokemon game out of all of the games that have come out isn't catered to you, get over your smug elitism."

I'm kinda confused on that criticism surrounding that as well. It's a great way to teach new players about the types. It's Game Freak finally establishing proper communication within the game instead of the reliance on internet sources like Bulbapedia.

However, you can't lie that it's a bit odd that you're required to bring in a Water/Grass Type when you already have a Pikachu/Eevee who is capable of using a Fighting Type Move. Kind of begs the question whether or not Pikachu will get even more moves that allow it to overcome it's disadvantages. Will it learn Dig on it's own for Lt. Surge? Aerial Ace for Erika? etc.

I think they should have left Pikachu/Eevee without Double Kick so the players can learn about immunities (Pikachu's electric attacks) and not very effective moves (Eevee's normal attacks). It's just a bit of Trial and Error so they can get an even better understanding of the Type Chart.

I'm also confused on why your Parents were confused about ORAS. Maybe it has to do with their age (no offense), or it could possibly be GameFreak's poor sense of direction in these games. I've recently replayed ORAS this morning and it's just riddled with cutscenes and unneccesary character interactions from the very beginning. Inconvenient interruptions to your game experience gets quite annoying and heavily limits your ability to explore and learn about the world around you.

I refuse to believe that things like Breeding, an optional component of the game you do not have to involve yourself with, or Abilities, Held Items, Berries, In-Game Devices (PokeNav, Pokegear); all components that were removed in this game, is what discourages people from playing these games.
Rather, it's Game Freak failing to realize the mistakes they keep making with these games themselves.

The NPCs in these games (ORAS) don't help either with their monotonous dialogue and inability to actually demonstrate what their talking about. The lady who gives you a Wailmer Pail should show you how to use it, not tell you. This way, newcomers will be more encouraged to participate in the activity of growing berries. However, just telling them that they can do this, whilst they have their finger on the A and B Buttons speeding through their dialogue seems to be a very poor approach.

Their lack of communication and options within their game, as well as their hard-to-follow direction within their stories/map is extremely discouraging. And lowering the level curve even more in this new game (LGPE) isn't going to fix this problem. They certainly need a Wake-Up Slap and should get their crap together with these games.

I still get the feeling these games (LGPE) are going to be poor examples of an entry-game for those being encouraged to play the 2019 games after. Their going to be more confused than they supposedly were with previous titles and their overwhelming amount of content removed in this game. Game Freak just needs to properly explain their in-game mechanics, however it needs to be optional for those who already know. Or they could have gyms do this instead, like what they did with the 1st Gym in BW, where they taught you the Type Coverage between Water, Grass, and Fire.

Game Freak needs to incorporate more aspects like these instead of trying to dump walls of information all at once to their players like previous titles have done. If this was the case, then there wouldn't be a need for games like this to cater to newcomers and could be mixed well with the 2019 games and their attempts to cater to both newcomers and veterans alike.

Last edited:

Kage-Pikachu

I make plenty of money
We should hang out!
I suck at motion control too, I found it so annoying to have to travel through Ultra Space with it... I wish it came with a way to turn it off in LGP/E.
It's the same for any fandom really, just look at how divided Rick and Morty fans were about the inclusion of female writers. I think venting frustration is fine, just without the personal insults.

I can understand the annoyance of hand holding but I never found it too much of a big deal since most of it takes place early in the games. As for cut-scenes, they're usually among my favorite parts of games, I love watching sequences that advance the story.

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
I'm 160 pages late to the party. But I guess I'll give my quick thoughts on Lets Go. Umm I didn't get into Pokemon Go so the Go aspects I'm indifferent about. I'm also not crazy about yet another return to Kanto. The Kanto pandering is insane at this point. However I understand why these choices are being made and I can't fault them for it too much. The games look cute for sure but probably not for me. So for everyone who is looking forward to these games I say have fun and enjoy the experience.