• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Thoughts on the Upcoming Pokemon Switch Game?

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
It's not like you've ever been able to back up your Pokémon game data before. So nothing has really changed.
Yea I know. I'll never completely get why they don't let people have a back up. Just in case something happens to your system, SD or game card. I figure it's money related. Gotta have people spend, spend, spend. It's not a big deal though. As long as there are decent deals on SD cards so often.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
It's just a stupid selfish way of preventing cloning.
There is no other way of explaining it.
Yea. Only game I can think of that let people do that was 'Alone in the Dark' (Wii). They allowed for one copy of the game to be made as a back up. Smart move.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Why am I not surprised?

Source: https://www.serebii.net/

Guess we might be better off with a larger sd card for the game then just in case.
At least it’ll be good if we were able to access our saves based on our My Nintendo account. Also there’s the possibility of backing up and then not backing up in a long time and one accidentally loads the backup data, essentially erasing most of their progress.

SkyTheMagicalSpiritualFox

A wild Heavenly Fairy Type Creatures Appeared!
It's not like you've ever been able to back up your Pokémon game data before. So nothing has really changed.

I'm sorry but this is 2018, Not being able to save back up on your save data is unacceptable, Especially with a franchise such as Pokemon, And like WishIhadaManafi5 said, At least they could just make it like Alone in the dark to where It allowed for one copy of the game to be made as a back up and because what if my Nintendo switch break, What then we should just suck it up and deal with are lost save data and Pokemon, *No* And plus what if anyone didn't save the Pokemon they want to keep In the Bank or doesn't even have the app especially if it a really rare event Pokemon he or she may lose because of this poor decision to not let at least one save pre a let's go game be backed up on the cloud so yeah.

Oh and one more thing, I hope to Arceus a certain someone on youtube in which he will shall not be named doesn't even try to justify this as being good, Then again I want him to just to see the backlash he will get.

Last edited:

Ducolamia

SAYYYY WHAT???
I'm sorry but this is 2018, Not being able to save back up on your save data is unacceptable, Especially with a franchise such as Pokemon, And like WishIhadaManafi5 said, At least they could just make it like Alone in the dark to where It allowed for one copy of the game to be made as a back up and because what if my Nintendo switch break, What then we should just suck it up and deal with are lost save data and Pokemon, *No* And plus what if anyone didn't save the Pokemon they want to keep In the Bank or doesn't even have the app especially if it a really rare event Pokemon he or she may lose because of this poor decision to not let at least one save pre a let's go game be backed up on the cloud so yeah.

Oh and one more thing, I hope to Arceus a certain someone on youtube in which he will shall not be named doesn't even try to justify this as being good, Then again I want him to just to see the backlash he will get.

Okay, I agree with the sentiment that they should allow us to backup data. That is inexcusable in my opinion and while I know I have to suck it and deal with it, it still blows.

However, not getting Pokemon Bank isn't Gamefreak's fault? This seems like a very specific scenario. You don't have to get Bank. It's an option if you choose to have it. They aren't responsible for any Pokemon you lose. Unless Nintendo was responsible for a huge data crash, they really aren't liable for things like that.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Yea I know. I'll never completely get why they don't let people have a back up. Just in case something happens to your system, SD or game card. I figure it's money related. Gotta have people spend, spend, spend. It's not a big deal though. As long as there are decent deals on SD cards so often.

There's nothing about this that could make them money, at least that I can see. It's more likely almost entirely due to issues with duplicate save data and cloning Pokémon.

It's just a stupid selfish way of preventing cloning.
There is no other way of explaining it.

They don't want people exploiting the system and cheating, that's not selfish, that's doing their job properly. What's wrong with that?

I'm sorry but this is 2018, Not being able to save back up on your save data is unacceptable,

And Ultra Sun and Moon came out in 2017, and there was no way to back up save data then either. Nobody complained then. What's the difference?

At least they could just make it like Alone in the dark to where It allowed for one copy of the game to be made as a back up

I'm not sure how that game's system worked, but odds are, that's not how the Switch's general back-up system works. This is Nintendo's infrastructure, and Game Freak can't just edit its capabilities however they want.

what if my Nintendo switch break What then we should just suck it up and deal with are lost save data and Pokemon, *No* And plus what if anyone didn't save the Pokemon they want to keep In the Bank or doesn't even have the app especially if it a really rare event Pokemon he or she may lose because of this poor decision to not let at least one save pre a let's go game be backed up on the cloud so yeah.

And what if you lost your Ultra Sun game cartridge? Stuff happens, it's not Nintendo or Game Freak's job to protect against every eventuality. If anything, I'd argue you're more likely to lose a tiny 3DS game cartridge than break a video game system. Not to mention, if your $300 system does break, I think you have more important things to worry about than lost save data.

Also, if you really are that worried about your system breaking and losing your data, you can always save your data to an SD card instead of the system, in which case you can still use your data on a new system if your Switch breaks.

SkyTheMagicalSpiritualFox

A wild Heavenly Fairy Type Creatures Appeared!
I beleive all Switch saves are on the console amd cannot be transferred to the SD card. You can copy from Switch to Switch though.

Problem mainly lies if you send your Switch in for repairs (one main reason is supposedly because of 3rd party docks may cause it to brick the switch) when you get it back all your save data is wiped. That is one of the main reasons people want cloud backup...

Yea, For that reason too the let's go games should have the ability to be able to save on the cloud, Well either that or at least Nintendo switch should have an update to let you put your save data on the SD card as an option, But knowing Nintendo and gamefreak, Yea.

Last edited:

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
We have never been given an option to have multiple saves/backups since Gen 1.
The 3DS allowed save-data backups, but Pokemon didn't allow it. Even the Pokemon VC games didn't have save state options.
Pokemon having no cloud backups is no surprise. And I expect this trend with Pokemon until Gen n.

They can, but they haven't allowed this for a reason. Exploitation.

But I do agree that having no backups for worst case scenarios like data loss due to technical reasons sucks.

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。
We have never been given an option to have multiple saves/backups since Gen 1.
The 3DS allowed save-data backups, but Pokemon didn't allow it. Even the Pokemon VC games didn't have save state options.
Pokemon having no cloud backups is no surprise. And I expect this trend with Pokemon until Gen n.

They can, but they haven't allowed this for a reason. Exploitation.

But I do agree that having no backups for worst case scenarios like data loss due to technical reasons sucks.

But, it could have happened with PokéBank as well, no? You log in with your address after all, which can be manipulated by people in the same way a cloud-saving system would possibly work.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I beleive all Switch saves are on the console and cannot be transferred to the SD card. You can copy from Switch to Switch though.

Problem mainly lies if you send your Switch in for repairs (one main reason is supposedly because of 3rd party docks may cause it to brick the switch) when you get it back all your save data is wiped. That is one of the main reasons people want cloud backup...

I've never tried, so I wouldn't know. I just knew you could use an SD card to increase the Switch's memory capacity, and assumed that meant you could save games to them.

So yeah, I won'y deny that if the worst-case scenario happens, that it will suck. It does suck, but you just have to live with it, just like you would live with losing a game cartridge in the past.

But, it could have happened with PokéBank as well, no? You log in with your address after all, which can be manipulated by people in the same way a cloud-saving system would possibly work.

I don't know anything about how this stuff works, but I've certainly never heard of people cloning Pokémon with Poké Bank. But with cloud saves, it would be extremely easy to trade a Pokémon and then restore your previous backup file, hence cloning the Pokémon in an even easier method than the glitch in Emerald, no technical or hacking knowledge required. Clearly that would not be a good thing.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Well it's likely the new Nintendo Switch cloud save service won't lock the player from using the service if the player turns off their Switch/removes their Game Card while saving to the cloud if the save was stored in the Game Card. It's probably as a result of that the players won't be able to upload their LGPE save to that cloud service. But I think a better reason is cloud saving leaves a fuller 'imprint' of the save online and overall has more impact on the game once restored because the whole save file gets overwritten once you import the save back into the game. Bank only takes a much smaller portion of it, which are the Pokémon you store and deposit into the PC in your game and not the whole save file gets overwritten.

BlackButterfree

lol you sound so lazy

Actually, I sound like someone with muscle pain, joint pain and arthritis, all of which kinda make it hard to swing your arms wildly around like an excitable gorilla. Which is why Pokémon is so perfect, since you only ever have to mash buttons, and not use motion controls. Until now, at least.

But y'know, thank you for insulting me without even bothering to think about why I might not enjoy motion controls. ;)

BCVM22

Actually, I sound like someone with muscle pain, joint pain and arthritis, all of which kinda make it hard to swing your arms wildly around like an excitable gorilla.

It is fortunate, then, that this is not required.

Again, a simple flick of the wrist is all that's required. Your circumstances are your own and not to be made light of, but let's also not pretend that "swing[ing] your arms wildly around like an excitable gorilla" was ever part of the equation.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Just gonna chip in to say there’s no reason to prevent people from “exploiting the system” if it in turn removes a qualify of life feature that would make the game a lot more secure for people. That doesn’t really count as a good excuse for me.

It's the job of a video game company to prevent people from cheating in their games, especially with easily performed and exploited cheats, and even more so when said cheating can affect other people (in the case of Pokémon, via trades and online battles). If save backups were possible in Pokémon, then even any random eight year old with no technology experience whatsoever could majorly exploit the system with absolute ease. It would be mayhem. It would be flat out irresponsible of Game Freak to allow such a major and easy to perform exploit into their games.

Minedreigon

A monument to all your sins
It's the job of a video game company to prevent people from cheating in their games, especially with easily performed and exploited cheats, and even more so when said cheating can affect other people (in the case of Pokémon, via trades and online battles). If save backups were possible in Pokémon, then even any random eight year old with no technology experience whatsoever could majorly exploit the system with absolute ease. It would be mayhem. It would be flat out irresponsible of Game Freak to allow such a major and easy to perform exploit into their games.

And I think it’s frankly irresponsible to allow that to deter them from implementing a feature that makes game data more secure in case of a real world accident. What’s more important to stop here? Some people only cheating themselves, which doesn’t really stop someone playing their own copy legitimately and enjoying themselves, or people losing out on this in the event of a system problem because they couldn’t back up their data? It’s the classic argument of you don’t let any innocent be punished at the cost of letting some guilty get away with it, or you successfully punish all the guilty people at the cost of innocent people dealing with the same treatment. We’re gonna have to agree to disagree there.

I’ll return to lurking n_n

EDIT: also wtf is this cheating argument anyway lol. Are you saying they’ll revert to a last save if something goes wrong? Or that it’ll make people save edit? News flash, a) people already can save edit, not condoning it though and b) there are measures against extreme save editing already in play in gen 7.

Last edited:

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
I'm sorry but this is 2018, Not being able to save back up on your save data is unacceptable,

It is not that serious.

It is so not that serious. lol

It's a video game, mate, not a state bill. It's not even like it's something obscene or inappropriate. It's just the lack of cloud access. Sure, having it would be nice, but given the odds of actually losing your data are slim, you're not missing out on much.

And even then, Game Freak is not responsible for the keep or loss of game data. You are.

Xuxuba

I don't mind not having the save back up all that much, but if it is true that it doesn't have pro controller support, then that is a huge problem for me. I have had my fair share of problems with the joycons and nowadays i only play with the pro controller, since the joy cons i bought kept having lag input. Sometimes i would press a button like crazy and only 30 seconds after my character would do something. So yeah, pro controller support is a necessity for me.