• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Thoughts on the Upcoming Pokemon Switch Game?

Vernpole

I'm in a bit of a predicament.

I've played every main series Pokemon game except the original R/G/B/Y, the original G/S/C, and the gen 3 games R/S/FR/LG/E. I have played HeartGold/Soulsilver and Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire though.

I loved every single main series game i've played. Sure there are a few issues here and there but overall i've loved them all.
When Gamefreak announced that Pokemon was coming to the Switch last year I was over the moon! I couldn't wait to see what the future held!
And then Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee were announced...
At first it wasn't too bad, but over the months they started revealing details about the games. No wild battles, only Kanto Pokemon, no held items, no abilities. My opinion on these games soured fast.
And I hate that! I hate the fact that I don't feel hype when I see trailers for these games! I hate the fact that I can't be excited for these games like everyone else!
I try and try to make myself love these games but nothing happens. It shouldn't be like this. I should love these games just like I loved Black and White, or Sun and Moon.

I tried to preorder it the other day but every thing inside me was SCREAMING at me not too, constantly reminding me that if I buy these games it'll tell Gamefreak that I want the series to become more like Let's Go.

I don't know what to do, i'm seriously upset about this. I've loved every Pokemon game i've played before this but I just can't seem to love these ones. I don't like the changes, I don't like the Pokemon Go mechanics,
I don't like that you can't walk into a gym without having a super effective Pokemon to sweep it. But most of all, I hate the fact that I don't like these games.

Please don't take this as another post mindlessly bashing these games, I honestly want to like them but I don't like what i'm seeing so far and it's tearing me apart. I liked every Pokemon i've played before this I should like this too.

I want to love them. I want to love them just as much as I loved previous Pokemon games, but I don't like what i'm seeing.

If I can ignore the voices in my head long enough to buy it then i'll give it a try but I honestly don't think i'll like it, and that makes me want to cry.

I don't know if we'll ever get gen 8, it could just be Let's Go games for now. But if we do get another proper generation soon I hope it reignites my love for Pokemon, because I really hate what i'm feeling right now.

If you've read this far then thank you, I don't even know why i'm writing this. I don't know if I want advice or something, I mostly just wanted to get this off my chest.

TLDR-I don't like what i'm seeing so far of Let's Go and I hate that. I've loved every Pokemon i've played but I can't seem to get into this one and it's tearing me apart.

AG128L

Hello Vernpole. I’m sorry you feel so conflicted about these games. I wouldn’t be worried about people thinking you’re bashing the games. I think you laid your opinion out very politely. I hope I can make you feel better, so here’s my advice. If you want to give these games a chance, but you don’t want Gamefreak to think you want the series to go in this direction, wait until you can buy a used copy of the game. That won’t help their sales at all since it’s already been sold (at least I don’t think those stats are collected). I don’t think it will take too long for used copies to show up. And hey if you still don’t like it, you can sell back the game. I’m sure we’ll get a proper Gen 8 game in 2019, as they’ve assured us one is coming, and it’s too quick of a turnaround for them to incorporate potentially successful gimmicks from Let’s go into it. I think if you enjoyed sun and moon, you will certainly enjoy whatever they make for that game. I hope this helps you feel better about it.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Please don't take this as another post mindlessly bashing these games, I honestly want to like them but I don't like what i'm seeing so far and it's tearing me apart.

Don't worry, I read your post, and I can tell you're not bashing it. You're just frustrated, and that's totally okay.

I don't like that you can't walk into a gym without having a super effective Pokemon to sweep it. But most of all, I hate the fact that I don't like these games.

This is actually not true. All you have to do is show the pokemon, and then you can use whatever team you want. Also, this particular requirement is only for Pewter Gym.

I tried to preorder it the other day but every thing inside me was SCREAMING at me not too, constantly reminding me that if I buy these games it'll tell Gamefreak that I want the series to become more like Let's Go.

This is also not true. Masuda confirmed that if Let's GO is successful it will become a spin-off series. You have nothing to fear. The main series will be untouched.

I've played every main series Pokemon game except the original R/G/B/Y, the original G/S/C, and the gen 3 games R/S/FR/LG/E. I have played HeartGold/Soulsilver and Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire though.

This would explain why the lack of held items and abilities bothers you. You've never played a game that didn't have them. For that, I completely understand why you would be upset, as I've stated before that I feel the only people who should truly be bothered by the changes are those who haven't played any games prior to Gen 3.

I don't know if we'll ever get gen 8, it could just be Let's Go games for now.

Gen 8 is next year. That's also been confirmed, right after the reveal of Let's GO, in fact.

I want to love them. I want to love them just as much as I loved previous Pokemon games, but I don't like what i'm seeing.

You don't have to love them. You don't even have to like them. Skip the games and play Gen 8 when it comes out this year. No one's obligated to like these games. Don't feel bad for not liking them.

I would suggest, though, looking at the game from a different perspective. My friend Alexis has never played a Gen 1 game, so this will be an entirely new experience for her, and I am so excited to see her explore Kanto for the first time. I think that's a nice way to look at it. For you, this is a whole new adventure. It may be different, but that's what makes it new. In the end, the decision is entirely yours. Do you whatever you feel is best. :)

Mr. Oshawott

You're only required to show the Gym Guide a super-effective type Pokemon upon entering the Gym. After that, you can place it in the Box.

Sulfurian

Please don't take this as another post mindlessly bashing these games, I honestly want to like them but I don't like what i'm seeing so far and it's tearing me apart. I liked every Pokemon i've played before this I should like this too.

None of the people here are mindlessly bashing it, we all share the same opinion you do. If we hated Pokemon or didn't care we wouldn't be here. I may not agree with counter arguments like "Pokemon will sell millions anyway so it's pointless to talk about potential negatives of their decisions* but we are all here to discuss the potential of Pokemon on switch. Let's go may be a whimper instead of a bang for some but good for others, and Pokemon is a franchise that can appeal to everyone.

Let's Go frustrates me, and I won't buy it for that reason. But they'll come out with a game that does, and I will spend my money on that.

Ducolamia

SAYYYY WHAT???

I loved every single main series game i've played. Sure there are a few issues here and there but overall i've loved them all.
When Gamefreak announced that Pokemon was coming to the Switch last year I was over the moon! I couldn't wait to see what the future held!
At first it wasn't too bad, but over the months they started revealing details about the games. No wild battles, only Kanto Pokemon, no held items, no abilities. My opinion on these games soured fast.
And I hate that! I hate the fact that I don't feel hype when I see trailers for these games! I hate the fact that I can't be excited for these games like everyone else!
I try and try to make myself love these games but nothing happens. It shouldn't be like this. I should love these games just like I loved Black and White, or Sun and Moon.

I don't know what to do, i'm seriously upset about this. I've loved every Pokemon game i've played before this but I just can't seem to love these ones. I don't like the changes, I don't like the Pokemon Go mechanics,

If I can ignore the voices in my head long enough to buy it then i'll give it a try but I honestly don't think i'll like it, and that makes me want to cry.

I don't know if we'll ever get gen 8, it could just be Let's Go games for now. But if we do get another proper generation soon I hope it reignites my love for Pokemon, because I really hate what i'm feeling right now.

If you've read this far then thank you, I don't even know why i'm writing this. I don't know if I want advice or something, I mostly just wanted to get this off my chest.

TLDR-I don't like what i'm seeing so far of Let's Go and I hate that. I've loved every Pokemon i've played but I can't seem to get into this one and it's tearing me apart.

There's nothing wrong with feeling that way at all. I remember feeling the same way about gen 6 when it came out and I still feel that way. I think other people here also share the feeling of being incredibly iffy with these games, but hey, you won't know until you try them out for yourself, really. This could be a huge flop or a big success. We really don't know until they come out. Just wait for a price drop if you aren't interested or skip them. It's honestly up to you. Look at it this way, you aren't obligated to like every pokemon game. It's may seem disappointing at first, but that's how it is. Sometimes a frnachise you like doesn't always have something you enjoy.

Honestly what people should take away from this is that you don't have to love the game and you shouldn't feel obligated to do so. I'm a believer in that a game can exist without it being the most perfect thing in the world. Cool concepts can exist and still be enjoyable. Am I saying not to strive past mediocrity? No. But you're allowed to enjoy something however you want. Not every Pokemon main game needs to be the best-Seller to me, it just needs to be good. And for the most part they are. But I know that isn't the case for everybody.

If you don't believe me, I'm a Pokemon nerd, played every game but the original Red and Blue and there are things I don't like about LGPE, but my personal opinion is that I'd rather they try something new then never attempt it to begin with. We don't have the fear of the games harming the traditional ones, they might as well take a shot and see what sticks. If people are persistent in Pokemon never changing or trying to experiment with anything , we aren't going to get anything interesting. I hope LGPE encourages Game Freak to try different things like this. And if it fails, okay. But at least they tried.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Yeah... this new ugly Pokemon completely turned me off. The ONE thing I was looking forward to and it turns out to be the new contender for ugliest Pokemon! The only new Pokemon we were getting at that!

I'm getting this game second hand, I'm not giving Game Freak the idea to put more of this GO crap in their games.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord

Maybe me sharing my thoughts might help? You're not in too far off of a boat from me. I was extremely excited for Pokémon coming to the Switch, but not as much so once we started seeing what Let's Go is.

However, for me at least, these are still Pokémon games. What I mean by that is that these games have a lot of things missing, and are going to be far from an optimal experience and will leave me with plenty of things to complain about. Despite all that, these games are still Pokémon games at their heart, and nearly everything I love about the franchise is still here, even if we are missing some things. These may be some of the worse games in the franchise, but when the entire franchise is composed of some of your favorite games, that's not actually that bad of a thing. The worst item among good items can still be good in its own right, you know what I'm saying? I see myself playing these games and not enjoying them as much as past games, but that doesn't mean I won't enjoy them at all. If you can come to the same realization yourself (which may not, nothing wrong with that), then it will be a lot easier to get excited for these games.

Of course, it's also completely okay to say "Hey, the target audience of these games does not include me, so I chose not to play them." So long as you admit that, and don't blame the game for not being something it wasn't trying to be, then you're fine. They've already confirmed Gen VIII for next year, so you don't even have to wait that long until your next "true" Pokémon experience. Just pretend like this year is a gap year, which it probably would have been, if not for Let's Go.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
I may not agree with counter arguments like "Pokemon will sell millions anyway so it's pointless to talk about potential negatives of their decisions*

No one said it's pointless to talk about the negatives. Everyone's talking about the negatives.

What's pointless is raging about the game, or any game, for a reason as trivial as "It's not what I wanted." It's okay to be upset. It's okay to refuse the game. It's not okay to accuse this game - or Game Freak - of being an offense to the series.

Vernpole

Thank you for your responses.

I can't say my mind has been changed immediately, but maybe looking at the game in a different light will help.

I don't like Pokemon Go catching, I never have and I never will, and I feel like i'll get sick of it very quickly. But things like no items and abilities, while annoying, could be an interesting experience.
It is true that i've never played a Kanto game, so if I look at it like a new (albeit 0dd and slightly babyish) adventure I might warm up to it?

I still don't like the gym requirement, but it's good to know it's not as annoying as I thought it'd be.

It's really good to know a proper Gen 8 is coming next year. Even if I liked Let's Go I don't think i'd want every Pokemon game to be like this.

I still don't like some things, and i'm still unsure about this, but I will give it a try. And hey, if I really hate it I can sell it. I've still got Smash three weeks after.

Once again, thank you.

Aetius

The new Pokèmon is....how should I put it? Weirdly cute?
I'm not a fan of its design, but for some reason I can't simply hate it....
It is a weird feeling indeed.

sunny phoenix

I was about to reply to yoiu but i saw that Sulfurian gave a perfect answer... As he said no one bashes this game mindlessly.. every player has their own reasons ... and you shouldnt have to be so apologetic, its not your fault...

No one said it's pointless to talk about the negatives. Everyone's talking about the negatives.

What's pointless is raging about the game, or any game, for a reason as trivial as "It's not what I wanted." It's okay to be upset. It's okay to refuse the game. It's not okay to accuse this game - or Game Freak - of being an offense to the series.

wtf is wrong with you man? seriously.... why cant you take different opinions... like jesus relax a bit and stop acting like you are the judge who decides what anyone cans say or not....

Also i am not going to even touch your previous reply cause your arguments aren't makings sense

Sαpphire

Johto Champion
I'm not entirely clear on why some people are using the new Pokemon as a criticism of LGPE. That's a Gen 8 'mon, friends - it's only here as a cute little teaser. Criticism directed at it is pretty much criticism at the next generation, not LGPE, and the games aren't really made worse by it's presence when it's an optional thing.

Sulfurian

Gamefreak has stated that they always want to try new things in an interview during the announcement of the ultra games, and it's a nice idea to always experiment, stay consistent somewhere besides throwing pokeballs at monsters. The dev giveth, and then taketh away.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
wtf is wrong with you man? seriously.... why cant you take different opinions... like jesus relax a bit and stop acting like you are the judge who decides what anyone cans say or not....

I take opinions rather well, as I did with Vernpole. It's false accusation and fearmongering I don't take. That affects other fans.

You don't have the right to accuse Let's GO or Game Freak of being an offense to the series. That's not an opinion. That's false accusation.

sunny phoenix

I take opinions rather well, as I did with Vernpole. It's false accusation and fearmongering I don't take. That affects other fans.

You don't have the right to accuse Let's GO or Game Freak of being an offense to the series. That's not an opinion. That's false accusation.

Nope u can't .. and no one hired you as GF lawyer ... Everyone has the right of their opinion and you just have to deal...

Ducolamia

SAYYYY WHAT???
Nope u can't .. and no one hired you as GF lawyer ... Everyone has the right of their opinion and you just have to deal...

@PrinceOfFacade isn't saying GF is the best. They (not to assume) just don't approve of people trying to scare others out of these games when it's been confirmed that GF won't let this game affect the next gen. Once again, you don't have to like them. However, I don't know why you're so hellbent on trying to prove them wrong because they haven't told anyone to hate these games. They have a point, dude. These games are going to sell. Maybe they aren't going to be the next best thing for Pokemon, but they are going to sell relatively well whether we like it or not. I will very surprised if these games do not make bank. Once again personal opinions are fine. Saying I don't like LGPE and you think is the worst is fine. But if you are going to make outlandish claims you need to have some substantial evidence or else people aren't going to take you seriously.

To change the subject, since we know for a fact that experience yields are better from catching pokemon, I'm wondering if anyone else is interested in that mechanic. Since they changed the level curves for most of the pokemon, I'm wondering more about how we grind in this game and how many pokemon we can carry at a time in the PC. For example how many pokemon could you catch to gain levels quicker? I assume bigger pokemon yields a bigger EXP yield which is fair. I wouldn't want a Caterpie to give me 1000 exp.

sunny phoenix

@PrinceOfFacade isn't saying GF is the best. They (not to assume) just don't approve of people trying to scare others out of these games when it's been confirmed that GF won't let this game affect the next gen. Once again, you don't have to like them. However, I don't know why you're so hellbent on trying to prove them wrong because they haven't told anyone to hate these games. They have a point, dude. These games are going to sell. Maybe they aren't going to be the next best thing for Pokemon, but they are going to sell relatively well whether we like it or not. I will very surprised if these games do not make bank. Once again personal opinions are fine. Saying I don't like LGPE and you think is the worst is fine. But if you are going to make outlandish claims you need to have some substantial evidence or else people aren't going to take you seriously.

To change the subject, since we know for a fact that experience yields are better from catching pokemon, I'm wondering if anyone else is interested in that mechanic. Since they changed the level curves for most of the pokemon, I'm wondering more about how we grind in this game and how many pokemon we can carry at a time in the PC. For example how many pokemon could you catch to gain levels quicker? I assume bigger pokemon yields a bigger EXP yield which is fair. I wouldn't want a Caterpie to give me 1000 exp.

Once again since it seems to be sth really hard for y'all to grasp... All my posts are my opinion..m. and when the hell did I try to scare people of... Are u people for real?

What outladish claims... U like the game ok I don't... U don't have to be so sentimental and dramatic about it...

No wonder people don't post here and it's the same 3 people circle jerking each other...

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
That's a Gen 8 'mon, friends - it's only here as a cute little teaser. Criticism directed at it is pretty much criticism at the next generation, not LGPE, and the games aren't really made worse by it's presence when it's an optional thing.

To be fair, we don't really know what they're trying to do with this thing, depending on how it's handled, it could be a Gen VIII Pokémon, but it could also be a Gen VII Pokémon. In the latter case, it would be something you could use to judge Let's Go. Now, it shouldn't be a major end-all judgement, but it could very well be a major feature of the games. I agree people are being to harsh for no real reason, but we can't just play it off as "This is a Gen VIII Pokémon with no impact on Let's Go." We just don't know if that's the case or not.

Ducolamia

SAYYYY WHAT???
To be fair, we don't really know what they're trying to do with this thing, depending on how it's handled, it could be a Gen VIII Pokémon, but it could also be a Gen VII Pokémon. In the latter case, it would be something you could use to judge Let's Go. Now, it shouldn't be a major end-all judgement, but it could very well be a major feature of the games. I agree people are being to harsh for no real reason, but we can't just play it off as "This is a Gen VIII Pokémon with no impact on Let's Go." We just don't know if that's the case or not.

Do you think we'll see the Pokemon in this game? They did say that LGPE would reveal a new Pokemon, right? Is it possible this is what they were talking about?