• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Thoughts on the Upcoming Pokemon Switch Game?

Pokémon is a famous and lucrative franchise, but it is not a first party game. Nintendo doesn't develop it, Game Freak does.

Regarding the price, not every Nintendo Switch game is 60 dolars nor it should be. Mega Man is a famous franchise aswell and they just released a new exclusive game for the Switch that costs less than 60 dolars. They were able to recognize that the game didn't have enough content to justify that price and while that may seem like a stupid move i have no doubts it made more people interested in buying the game despite not being content heavy.

Now whether these new games are worth 60 dolars or not that is entirely personal, but saying it should be 60 dolars simply because of the console it was made for seems a bit irrational to me at least.

The technology and the content go hand in hand. At a fundamental economic level, the price is supposed to balance the cost it takes to produce the game and how much the consumers want the game. $60 doesn't seem appropriate with that in mind, especially not in terms of the latter. The content makes it less desirable than other Switch games, so it feels like a ripoff to the consumer. Hell, even in terms of the former, it's doubtful whether or not $60 is appropriate since they're probably not spending as much on a linear region with minimal content as say, BotW or Odyssey. Console games aren't just $60 because of the graphics, they're also $60 because they have larger game world and more extra content, which takes the developers longer to make and consumers value more because they can get more out of the game. LGPE has none of this, that's why it's seen as not worth full price.

Actually, videogames are kind of hard to "price". Traditional products balance the cost of production (direct, indirect, workhand (i don't know if this is the term in english)) of the production + the gain/profit, that after all is the value that the consumer sees in the product, is "easy" to determinate the cost and the value of one unit. Videogame work with software, that has a cost of production, but you you can't "divide" that cost in a number of produced unit, but you can fix a price, according to the market, an determinate how much you need to proffit (That is the bussines perspective), after launch you can keep the sales at he same price (Nintendo way), or drop the price to stimulate sales. This is why huge game and some medium games cost the same, a two $60 dolars game can an abissmal diference of conten, but you can't sell that game for $80-90, so you need to sell more, at a standar price, and, for good or bad, consoles games are priced $50-60 since years, that is the standar, what people (the more relevant sales) have been willing to pay for years (And they haven't suffer a lot the inflation, games are actually more accesible nowdays).

For the consume sales, you pay for the experience that the game give you, you don't see the technology, the devepment effort, the desing proces, just value the joy of the hours of game base that that game can give you: 2 game of 20 hours can give you diferent experiencies, , and one worth it more than the other.
Furthermore detailed, complex game is not allways the best if is boring. You can buy Mariokart, 1-2 Switch, Just dance for the same price and end up playing more the laters because friends; You can play 300+ hrs of Fortnite, but play 10 of the new $60 ubisoft openwold.

The key is the Target audience, parents are going to buy Pokemon for their kids, is a $60 dolar (Second party) NS game, where the rest of Big Francise on NS and other PS/XB games, so they see no diference.
If the price is to much, the game will just not meet expectations, if it's, it will profit, that's bussines. If you don't see it worthy of the price, don't but, you are not forced to, just as the company is not forced to sell the game at $40-50.
(Sorry for my non native english)

Nodame

Misty <3
Master trainers has to be thbe dumbest idea ever. And this is coming from someone who never complains.

Wait... will I be forced to use a Pokémon I don’t want?

Last edited:

Tuoko

Everyone's a huge exaggeration

Well, it's a very recent detail, so some people may not know.

But yes, he did in fact state such. He wants to see if the game sells well first, and if it does, it may receive a new batch of pokemon. Honestly, it sounds rather exciting.

Could you guys point me to where he said that, please?

Kage-Pikachu

I'm getting more hyped for these games by the day, these master trainers sound pretty interesting, lol, it's ironically like battling a real life trainer with hacked Pokemon.

Mega Evolution is definitely a plus, I just hope it extends to the Elite 4 and possibly even Giovanni.

Ducolamia

SAYYYY WHAT???
Master trainers has to be thbe dumbest idea ever. And this is coming from someone who never complains.

How is it the dumbest idea ever? You face trainers one v one without items to defeat them actually making some sort of challenge. Because let's be fair if we had berries or choice scarves these trainers would be easy peasy. Of course a Ratata trainer will be easier than a Dragonite trainer, but these do seem like fun.

It almost reminds me of the Battle factory in a weird way way how you have the Pokemon chosen out for you.

Nodame

Misty <3
How is it the dumbest idea ever? You face trainers one v one without items to defeat them actually making some sort of challenge. Because let's be fair if we had berries or choice scarves these trainers would be easy peasy. Of course a Ratata trainer will be easier than a Dragonite trainer, but these do seem like fun.

It almost reminds me of the Battle factory in a weird way way how you have the Pokemon chosen out for you.

I am not talking about not using berries and items, I am fine with that. But I don't want to be forced to battle using a Pokemon I don't like. Also, why it is mandatory for me to catch and TRAIN all 150 pokemon and battle using them all? The fun is ruined for me. I only battle and get excited with my faves.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master

That's literally the whole point of the scenario, mastering the pokemon.

But you don't have to the whole thing, if any of it. Just seek out the trainers with pokemon you already have.

Sαpphire

Johto Champion
I can't wait to play these - the master trainer concept sounds super cool, and the games seem better and better as we get more information.

Not so stoked to have discussion about the games since it seems like some of us are still going in the same circles, still.

But what do I know? I'm just one of those silly, "pathetic" players with "no standards" who's actually going to purchase and play the games before calling them trash!

I am not talking about not using berries and items, I am fine with that. But I don't want to be forced to battle using a Pokemon I don't like. Also, why it is mandatory for me to catch and TRAIN all 150 pokemon and battle using them all? The fun is ruined for me. I only battle and get excited with my faves.

Literally just don't do it then.

The point of it is to be, in-game, the best at using each particular species. Clearly, this feature is not for you.

Pokémon is a famous and lucrative franchise, but it is not a first party game. Nintendo doesn't develop it, Game Freak does.

Regarding the price, not every Nintendo Switch game is 60 dolars nor it should be. Mega Man is a famous franchise aswell and they just released a new exclusive game for the Switch that costs less than 60 dolars. They were able to recognize that the game didn't have enough content to justify that price and while that may seem like a stupid move i have no doubts it made more people interested in buying the game despite not being content heavy.

Now whether these new games are worth 60 dolars or not that is entirely personal, but saying it should be 60 dolars simply because of the console it was made for seems a bit irrational to me at least.

The technology and the content go hand in hand. At a fundamental economic level, the price is supposed to balance the cost it takes to produce the game and how much the consumers want the game. $60 doesn't seem appropriate with that in mind, especially not in terms of the latter. The content makes it less desirable than other Switch games, so it feels like a ripoff to the consumer. Hell, even in terms of the former, it's doubtful whether or not $60 is appropriate since they're probably not spending as much on a linear region with minimal content as say, BotW or Odyssey. Console games aren't just $60 because of the graphics, they're also $60 because they have larger game world and more extra content, which takes the developers longer to make and consumers value more because they can get more out of the game. LGPE has none of this, that's why it's seen as not worth full price.

It's a new, main series, HD Switch game in Nintendo's second biggest IP. It's $60. It's really not that complicated, guys.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Wonder what they'll do with Ditto vs Ditto, normally that just ends when Transform runs out of PP and one of the pokémon goes down to Struggle or recoil. Apparently these pokémon know new moves, like the Lapras with Solar Beam, so maybe they'll also give something cool to Ditto, like Roar of Time

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
After seeing that trailer, I'm actually a lot more interested in the Master Trainer thing than I was before. The fact that it's one-on-one versus Pokémon designed specifically to win in a mirror match is really cool. Not to mention, this actually, for once, gives me a real reason to complete the regional dex. I've never bothered before, but I just might have to give it a try here. Perhaps the best part is, I can very well see this feature adding a good amount of time and difficulty to the post-game. It may not be the most optimal post-game, but it's still pretty good.

Also, I'm super stoked for being able to become the Charizard and/or Dragonite Master. The fact that the titles actually show up in the game is truly glorious.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
After seeing that trailer, I'm actually a lot more interested in the Master Trainer thing than I was before. The fact that it's one-on-one versus Pokémon designed specifically to win in a mirror match is really cool. Not to mention, this actually, for once, gives me a real reason to complete the regional dex. I've never bothered before, but I just might have to give it a try here. Perhaps the best part is, I can very well see this feature adding a good amount of time and difficulty to the post-game. It may not be the most optimal post-game, but it's still pretty good.

Also, I'm super stoked for being able to become the Charizard and/or Dragonite Master. The fact that the titles actually show up in the game is truly glorious.

I hope they have titles for types as well.

I want to be a Ghost Master, Ice Master, and Psychic Master.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
The bits I would enjoy going for a Master for would be a Magikarp Master, Metapod Master and Kakuna Master. I’d definitely like an all out Splash or a Harden battle.