• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Thoughts on the Upcoming Pokemon Switch Game?

Phantom Wolf DX

Maybe a weird question to ask here, but when exactly can Onix "reach" the flying Pokemon (Pidgeot(to), Charizard and Dragonite)?

What are the requirements? Is just Onix enough or do you need to use Lures and Combos? My Onix is getting a stiff neck from looking at the sky the entire time :p.

Sαpphire

Johto Champion
I mean if you want to make the game harder or challenging just don't catch multiple Pokemon. The game will definitely be a challenge then.

I can attest to this. I’m not very far, but as of and after Misty, the game caught up to all the leveling I’d done by catching a ton of things in Viridian Forest; trying to control my capturing might even make me under leveled by the time I reach the later Gyms. I’m currently trying out a strategy of catching just one of each species, and if I need to train I hunt down larger Pokémon.

It’s honestly more difficult than I expected, though I expect that’s partially due to the fact that most of the discourse around the game made it out to be ridiculously easy and simplistic when it’s really more or less just Kanto again - not some baby version of it. The only thing preventing me from getting trashed is one of the special starter moves, which I can swap out at will since I’m running Eevee.

I’m also playing with a team of Eevee, Clefairy, Jigglypuff, Vulpix, and Alolan Vulpix, with no intention of evolving anything, so it might get really hard by the end. Suggestions for slot 6 are open!

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
I’m also playing with a team of Eevee, Clefairy, Jigglypuff, Vulpix, and Alolan Vulpix, with no intention of evolving anything, so it might get really hard by the end. Suggestions for slot 6 are open!

Get a Psychic type for coverage. Given the make up of your team, I would suggest either Kadabra, Exeggcute, or Alolan Raichu, if you don't mind having at least one evolved form.

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。
Chansey. I am definitely planning to give it a shot when mine arrives.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
I can attest to this. I’m not very far, but as of and after Misty, the game caught up to all the leveling I’d done by catching a ton of things in Viridian Forest; trying to control my capturing might even make me under leveled by the time I reach the later Gyms. I’m currently trying out a strategy of catching just one of each species, and if I need to train I hunt down larger Pokémon.

It’s honestly more difficult than I expected, though I expect that’s partially due to the fact that most of the discourse around the game made it out to be ridiculously easy and simplistic when it’s really more or less just Kanto again - not some baby version of it. The only thing preventing me from getting trashed is one of the special starter moves, which I can swap out at will since I’m running Eevee.

Go with Victreebel

“But I like unevolved”

Say no more, sapphire with a fancy a, it’s the only route you need to take.

greninjamaster

Shoot I almost lost to Lt. Surge. I wasn't catching as many Pokemon as I should have and he took out all my Pokemon sans Pikachu which was at level 25 and he was at 26. Yeah the game is very challenging if you don't catch multiple numbers of each Pokemon.

greninjamaster

If you had the Pokeball Plus version I would have suggested Mew.

Sαpphire

Johto Champion
Get a Psychic type for coverage. Given the make up of your team, I would suggest either Kadabra, Exeggcute, or Alolan Raichu, if you don't mind having at least one evolved form.

I might consider an A-Raichu; it would be a nice contrast to Trace having gotten a Pikachu.

Chansey. I am definitely planning to give it a shot when mine arrives.

You know, that’s probably the best option to fit the aesthetic, the first stage factor, and not be too ridiculously tough. Might go with that!

Go with Victreebel

“But I like unevolved”

Say no more, sapphire with a fancy a, it’s the only route you need to take.

this is how I will refer to myself from now on forever

If you had the Pokeball Plus version I would have suggested Mew.

I’ve got Mew! I’m just worried it might be OP if I choose to utilize it - but maybe it’ll help balance only having first stage ‘mons otherwise?

greninjamaster

I wouldn't worry about Mew OP. At least not in the beginning of the game. Mine is at level 27 and only knows Pound, Swift, and Amnesia. You'll be fine.

Minedreigon

A monument to all your sins
I mean if you want to make the game harder or challenging just don't catch multiple Pokemon. The game will definitely be a challenge then.

I mean, it’s Pokémon, so saying it will be a challenge isn’t exactly true. I also can’t merit a game that only has difficulty due to the level of your opponents.

Also lol you’re forced to catch stuff to progress.

greninjamaster

I mean, it’s Pokémon, so saying it will be a challenge isn’t exactly true. I also can’t merit a game that only has difficulty due to the level of your opponents.

Also lol you’re forced to catch stuff to progress.

As someone that is actually playing the game instead of speaking out against it without knowing a dang thing about it and not referring to you just in general. I can assure you that you do not need to catch anything. The only Pokemon you're forced to catch is Pikachu/Eevee. You can spend the rest of the game avoiding any other Pokemon if you so wish.

So if you want to make the game a challenge you don't have to catch any Pokemon more then once. I assure you it's a challenge.

And even catching stuff doesn't help. Cause the difficulty level catches up to you very quickly. I'm at the Rock Tunnel and each trainer is at least in the mid 20's.

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。
As someone that is actually playing the game instead of speaking out against it without knowing a dang thing about it and not referring to you just in general. I can assure you that you do not need to catch anything. The only Pokemon you're forced to catch is Pikachu/Eevee. You can spend the rest of the game avoiding any other Pokemon if you so wish.

So if you want to make the game a challenge you don't have to catch any Pokemon more then once. I assure you it's a challenge.

And even catching stuff doesn't help. Cause the difficulty level catches up to you very quickly.
You have to, since a GYM requires you to capture 50 Pokémon to challenge the leader.

greninjamaster

You have to, since a GYM requires you to capture 50 Pokémon to challenge the leader.

50 Pokemon really isn't much though. Not to mention if it's just Caterpie or something that won't help you much at all. Like I said the game is difficult as someone that is actually playing it rather then just judging it like the crybabies on social media.

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。
50 Pokemon really isn't much though. Not to mention if it's just Caterpie or something that won't help you much at all. Like I said the game is difficult as someone that is actually playing it rather then just judging it like the crybabies on social media.
I know. I'm highlighting the fact that you must capture Pokémon in order to advance through the story.

Minedreigon

I can assure you that you do not need to catch anything.

Spoilers, I guess?

A gym later on in the game requires you to have caught like 50 Pokémon or something.

Whether or not you think that’s much of a problem or not (I think it’s ridiculously tedious!) please don’t tell people they don’t know a dang thing when your information is wrong.

Also, question, do you think this is harder than all the main series Pokémon games? Because if the answer is no I can garuntee you I would find no challenge in this game.

greninjamaster

Dude are you kidding me, you're telling me that by the time you were at that gym leader in your original playthrough of Blue/Red/Yellow/FR/LG that you didn't have more then 50 different Pokemon caught already. If you try to tell me otherwise, that is BS.

I think it's as challenging as the main series titles so far. I just got to Lavender Town and I almost lost to Lt. Surge cause I wasn't catching as many Pokemon as I should have.

I will say that if people just catch only one of each Pokemon the game will be very challenging.

Personally I'm of the opinion if you're not playing this game, then you have no right to judge it's difficulty level.

Last edited:

Minedreigon

Dude are you kidding me, you're only fooling yourself if you have the gall to tell me that by the time you were at that gym leader in your original playthrough of Blue/Red/Yellow/FR/LG that you didn't have more then 50 different Pokemon caught already. If you try to tell me otherwise, that is BS.

I didn’t. Because that’s not how I like to play Pokémon. As I’ve said many times before I appreciate the open ended-ness of Pokémon and having it force me to capture things takes away from that so it’s just not my cup of tea. How I want to play Pokémon isn’t BS just because it isn’t your idea of how to play too.

Anyway, as far as difficulty goes, no, I can’t definitely judge it for myself, but if you’re saying it’s directly comparable to the main series, then it’s unlikely I would find any challenge, since I didn’t find any of those games challenging at all. Besides, I still don’t like level based difficulty.

greninjamaster

You don't like to catch as many new Pokemon as possible? ...Well I guess that's your way of playing. Goes against the series catch phrase though. Anytime I play any Pokemon game I want to catch one of each now Pokemon as possible. Cause I like completing the Pokedex.

K well if you want a bigger challenge go play Persona then or Shin Megami Tensei. ;)

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
You don't like to catch as many new Pokemon as possible? ...Well I guess that's your way of playing. Goes against the series catch phrase though. Anytime I play any Pokemon game I want to catch one of each now Pokemon as possible. Cause I like completing the Pokedex.

K well if you want a bigger challenge go play Persona then or Shin Megami Tensei. ;)
You do know people often tend to catch them all in post game so they can complete the PokéDex without it getting in the way of the main quest, right? Part of the appeal of Pokémon is having various past times with your Pokémon: main campaign, competitive battling, Shiny hunting, and Contests just to make a few.

I also heavily disagree with your notion on this game's difficulty. I've never caught duplicates and only have 20 at Erika's Gym and it's still been a breeze

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member

Said catchphrase died after Gen II and only came back in recent years.

Also, while some people like completing the Pokedex, some like to do so after they beat the main story.