• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Thoughts on the Upcoming Pokemon Switch Game?

Prof. SALTY

The Scruffy Professor
If they intend to continue, which is likely, I can imagine using them the Pika clones of each generation plus a cute Pokèmon, which is meaningful for that generation.
l don't know, maybe something like this?

Let's Go, Marill! and Let's Go, Togepi! (as you said)
Let's Go, Plusle/Minun and Let's Go, Skitty! (?)
Let's Go, Pachirisu and Let's Go, Buneary!
Let's Go, Emolga! and Let's Go, Minccino!
Let's Go, Dedenne! and Let's Go, Bunnelby!
Let's Go, Togedemaru and Let's Go, Stufful

YAAAAAASSSSS I am H E R E for Let's Go Pachirisu

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
If they intend to continue, which is likely, I can imagine using them the Pika clones of each generation plus a cute Pokèmon, which is meaningful for that generation.
l don't know, maybe something like this?

Let's Go, Marill! and Let's Go, Togepi! (as you said)
Let's Go, Plusle/Minun and Let's Go, Skitty! (?)
Let's Go, Pachirisu and Let's Go, Buneary!
Let's Go, Emolga! and Let's Go, Minccino!
Let's Go, Dedenne! and Let's Go, Bunnelby!
Let's Go, Togedemaru and Let's Go, Stufful

Togepi may seem like an obvious option for Johto on the surface, but I don't really see it happening because Togepi isn't really much of battler. Yes, they boosted Pikachu and Eevee's stats and movepools, but Togepi is just a different level. It's at least believable that a Pikachu and Eevee could be kind of powerful, conceptually, but Togepi would just be bizarre. I would also hope they wouldn't pick two Fairy-Types for the Johto games. Not sure what they would do instead, but I'd like a choice on what type I can use.

In general, I think that popularity is also going to be a factor in picking the Partner Pokémon. I'm not sure if most people are really going to want common and simple Pokémon like Skitty, Buneary, Minccino, and Bunnelby as their partner.

And, not that it matters, but for the record, Marill really isn't a "Pika-Clone."

Orphalesion

In general, I think that popularity is also going to be a factor in picking the Partner Pokémon."

Popularity is pretty much why I picked Marill and Togepi for Gen II/Johto those two seem to be the two most prominent (cute) Pokemon among the Johto bunch. Not sure what else they'd use. I don't think Teddiursa or Mareep have quite the same status.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
Popularity is pretty much why I picked Marill and Togepi for Gen II/Johto those two seem to be the two most prominent (cute) Pokemon among the Johto bunch. Not sure what else they'd use. I don't think Teddiursa or Mareep have quite the same status.
Teddiursa sort of has the same status in the anime. It is often seen hanging around other cute and Baby Pokémon, particularly in the Pichu Bros shorts, and it has been used as the Pokémon world’s equivalent to the teddy bear. Teddiursa Just was never shown as much as Togepi and Marill in the anime but it still is considered to be extremely cute in the show.

Prof. SALTY

The Scruffy Professor
The two mascots would likely be any combo of the below list:
- Pichu
- Clefa
- Igglybuff
- Togepi
- Maril
- Hoppip
- Wooper*
- Snubbul
- Teddiursa*
- Phanpy
- Smoochum
- Elekid
- Magby

* = unlikely due to body shape or size

If I haaaaad to guess I'd say Pichu and Togepi. Both have notable anime appearances which ties into the LG brand while also being popular pokemon in their own right.

Sαpphire

Johto Champion
So glad that these games have sold so well - and as the first major Switch titles, it looks like they’ll end up somewhere pretty high as the years accrue more sales.

As far as possible future titles in this series, I definitely see us getting them. The thing is, I kind of expect Sinnoh next rather than Johto, due to the length of time since we’ve seen them and due to D/P/Pl being the games immediately after FRLG and Emerald, which are in regions recently remade.

I would prefer, however, Johto - I can’t wait to go back. It’s already been far too long.

The only region I can see a clear, obvious pair for is Hoenn, in Plusle and Minun. As for Johto, Sinnoh, and the rest? No clue for most of them. I don’t think we’ll see pre-evolutions or baby Pokémon besides possibly Togepi; Pikachu and Eevee were base stages and their in-game power was only justifiable as special examples of said base stage.

One possibility, I guess, is spiritual sequels with the same two starters, since they’re present in most games, but I think people would get bored of that really quickly.

captainfez3

The Chill Trainer
Togepi may seem like an obvious option for Johto on the surface, but I don't really see it happening because Togepi isn't really much of battler. Yes, they boosted Pikachu and Eevee's stats and movepools, but Togepi is just a different level. It's at least believable that a Pikachu and Eevee could be kind of powerful, conceptually, but Togepi would just be bizarre. I would also hope they wouldn't pick two Fairy-Types for the Johto games. Not sure what they would do instead, but I'd like a choice on what type I can use.

I agree on Togepi, but maybe we will see Let's Go abandon the Partner Pokemon in the future? If they keep the follow mechanic and just re-introduce Aimie, it would be functionally identical in terms of gameplay, sans the partner super move, but Z moves could just cover that.

I still have no clue why they do not just make HM moves extra teachable moves to Pokemon. We went from burden to complete ease of use, but I feel like they missed the Goldilocks option. It seems silly to use the partner for all of the traversal stuff, especially Eevee with Flash lol.

ShadowForce720

So glad that these games have sold so well - and as the first major Switch titles, it looks like they’ll end up somewhere pretty high as the years accrue more sales.

As far as possible future titles in this series, I definitely see us getting them. The thing is, I kind of expect Sinnoh next rather than Johto, due to the length of time since we’ve seen them and due to D/P/Pl being the games immediately after FRLG and Emerald, which are in regions recently remade.

I would prefer, however, Johto - I can’t wait to go back. It’s already been far too long.

The only region I can see a clear, obvious pair for is Hoenn, in Plusle and Minun. As for Johto, Sinnoh, and the rest? No clue for most of them. I don’t think we’ll see pre-evolutions or baby Pokémon besides possibly Togepi; Pikachu and Eevee were base stages and their in-game power was only justifiable as special examples of said base stage.

One possibility, I guess, is spiritual sequels with the same two starters, since they’re present in most games, but I think people would get bored of that really quickly.

Actually in terms of Let's Go Games I do think Johto are the next games for Let's Go, and while it's true it's been awhile sense we've been to Sinnoh I think were going to get proper D/P remakes, as it's important to point out that the Let's Go games are not replacing remakes that we normally get but instead are there own separate line, so for instance after the first games of a new generation the next games in that generation could be let's go games, remakes, and/or 3rd version(s)/sequels.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord

Of course, and that's why I didn't point out Marill as being questionable (except the "Pika-Clone" thing, but that wasn't to say Marill couldn't be a Partner Pokémon).

The two mascots would likely be any combo of the below list:
- Pichu
- Clefa
- Igglybuff
- Togepi
- Maril
- Hoppip
- Wooper*
- Snubbul
- Teddiursa*
- Phanpy
- Smoochum
- Elekid
- Magby

* = unlikely due to body shape or size

If I haaaaad to guess I'd say Pichu and Togepi. Both have notable anime appearances which ties into the LG brand while also being popular pokemon in their own right.

A lot, if not all, of the Baby Pokémon kind of have the same problem I brought up about Togepi. They could work on the surface, as a cute mascot Pokémon, but functionally, it would just seem incredibly odd and out of place to make them into powerful battlers.

I agree on Togepi, but maybe we will see Let's Go abandon the Partner Pokemon in the future? If they keep the follow mechanic and just re-introduce Aimie, it would be functionally identical in terms of gameplay, sans the partner super move, but Z moves could just cover that.

I don't think that will happen. Partner Pokémon was pretty much the main feature and definition of Let's Go (hence why they were named after the Partner Pokémon). To scrap the concept would kind of remove a major aspect of the games.

I still have no clue why they do not just make HM moves extra teachable moves to Pokemon. We went from burden to complete ease of use, but I feel like they missed the Goldilocks option. It seems silly to use the partner for all of the traversal stuff, especially Eevee with Flash lol.

As someone who liked HMs due to liking the concept of using our own Pokémon to solve puzzles and pass rough terrain, I agree entirely. Hopefully Gen VIII figures out how to balance things better, instead of just copying Ride Pokémon.

Prof. SALTY

The Scruffy Professor
A lot, if not all, of the Baby Pokémon kind of have the same problem I brought up about Togepi. They could work on the surface, as a cute mascot Pokémon, but functionally, it would just seem incredibly odd and out of place to make them into powerful battlers.

I do see where you're coming from, but I don't really see this as an issue.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I do see where you're coming from, but I don't really see this as an issue.

It certainly doesn't have to be an issue, and if Game Freak decides they really want Togepi or one of the Baby Pokémon as the partner, then they can make it happen. That said, I'm not sure if it would be for the best if they forced something to work like that, even if it's only a little awkward. We'll just have to wait and see what they think is best.

Aetius

In general, I think that popularity is also going to be a factor in picking the Partner Pokémon. I'm not sure if most people are really going to want common and simple Pokémon like Skitty, Buneary, Minccino, and Bunnelby as their partner.

And, not that it matters, but for the record, Marill really isn't a "Pika-Clone."

Mmmmhhh, then again I can't imagine who could take Togepi's place...
As for Marill, while it may not be a Pika clone in the truest sense, it has to be said that it can esaily put in such a category, due to her appearance.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Mmmmhhh, then again I can't imagine who could take Togepi's place...

I can't disagree. I don't envy Game Freak having to figure that out.

As for Marill, while it may not be a Pika clone in the truest sense, it has to be said that it can esaily put in such a category, due to her appearance.

I think people only say that because of the whole "Pikablue" thing. There really is no similarities between Pikachu and Marill besides a few passing ones that come from both being cute and small rodent Pokémon. By the same token, we can say something random like Bunneary also fits the bill.

Orphalesion

maybe we will see Let's Go abandon the Partner Pokemon in the future?
I doubt they'd abandon that, isn't your perpetual, never-evolving partner mon that you can style/dress up and that can do all sorts of stuff an important aspect that'd help a supposed LG series stand apart from the non-LG series?
Plus, remember, Masuda really wants you to spend hours petting your virtual Eevee.

Actually in terms of Let's Go Games I do think Johto are the next games for Let's Go, and while it's true it's been awhile sense we've been to Sinnoh I think were going to get proper D/P remakes, as it's important to point out that the Let's Go games are not replacing remakes that we normally get but instead are there own separate line, so for instance after the first games of a new generation the next games in that generation could be let's go games, remakes, and/or 3rd version(s)/sequels.

Crazy thought, what if LGPE really spins off into its own thing and the next two game take place in the Orange Islands?

I know that's most likely not gonna happen, but what would people think of that? What I vaguely remember of the Orange Island gyms they might be quite possible with the LG partner Pokemon system.

Kein

AKA Silktree
The Orange Islands don't have the same appeal as Johto for obvious reasons. It's a pity they weren't used for LGPE's post-game, though.

Prof. SALTY

The Scruffy Professor
I doubt they'd abandon that, isn't your perpetual, never-evolving partner mon that you can style/dress up and that can do all sorts of stuff an important aspect that'd help a supposed LG series stand apart from the non-LG series?
Plus, remember, Masuda really wants you to spend hours petting your virtual Eevee.

Crazy thought, what if LGPE really spins off into its own thing and the next two game take place in the Orange Islands?

I know that's most likely not gonna happen, but what would people think of that? What I vaguely remember of the Orange Island gyms they might be quite possible with the LG partner Pokemon system.

Very interesting idea. I'd be up for it but I need more than 4 gyms.

BCVM22

The Orange Islands don't really exist where the games are concerned, though. They've never appeared in any game or even game-related material. They were an anime-exclusive filler region twenty years ago. They didn't make it into Kanto remakes that released in 2004 or 2018. The former of those two included a new island archipelago, the latter of those two was based on the one game that borrows from the anime, and the Orange Islands didn't rate an appearance in either. What makes us think that suddenly changes as we get even further away from the brief period of time when they were current in a different medium?

If they were going to add something like that to a future game, they'd do what they did with FR/LG and create an entire new island sub-region/archipelago, where they have carte blanche to build it from the ground up however they see fit, rather than being beholden to decades-old anime episodes.

Prof. SALTY

The Scruffy Professor
The Orange Islands don't really exist where the games are concerned, though. They've never appeared in any game or even game-related material. They were an anime-exclusive filler region twenty years ago. They didn't make it into Kanto remakes that released in 2004 or 2018. The former of those two included a new island archipelago, the latter of those two was based on the one game that borrows from the anime, and the Orange Islands didn't rate an appearance in either. What makes us think that suddenly changes as we get even further away from the brief period of time when they were current in a different medium?

If they were going to add something like that to a future game, they'd do what they did with FR/LG and create an entire new island sub-region/archipelago, where they have carte blanche to build it from the ground up however they see fit, rather than being beholden to decades-old anime episodes.

Oh no I don't think it's even remotely possible, I just feel like it's a fun "what-if" idea to entertain.

captainfez3

The Chill Trainer

Ha ha, I did not realize. I think I only used that super move once for the very reason that you had to pet Eevee to activate it, ha ha.

I mean, I do not know what the player base's feelings are concerning Aimie. In real life, I am a stealth Pokemon fan, and I have never really been on a Pokemon specific forum long enough to see that conversation, but I appreciate that they tried to add in that element, just so you can have an additional experience that helps to strengthen the trainer bond and make the Pokemon less one dimensional.

That said, I only wanted it to get to Tamagachi level, and if it starts to intrude into the game, I think they messed up. I personally think they have a sweet spot, where having the bond is incentivized but you do not HAVE to be actively doing it.

In reflecting, I think it comes down to a fundamental difference in personality. I have always enjoyed games like The Sims, Harvest Moon, Animal Crossing, etc. because I find caring for things to be fun. I think a lot of people experience that more as chore or obligation, and that is not saying anything negative (I think I'm the weird one lol), but I think when you add those things into entertainment, people are bewildered if not aghast.

I would personally like to see more personality infused into individual Pokemon, maybe random wants or desires that if you fulfill in-game develops your bond. It would be nice to see bonding turned into an activity, rather than a passive process that just occurs because you used them more than the other ones sitting in your box. Reinforce the partner aspect.

edit: I think spinning off into the Orange Islands would be awesome. As to people saying they only existed in the anime... so? I mean you could retcon from that and develop it out. I haven't watched the anime in forever, but I saw someone mention that there are only four gyms. What if one of the features they develop in LG is being a gym leader? Give an outlet for a feature requested by players and develop that gameplay loop in an entirely isolated environment. Just a thought.

Last edited:

Orphalesion

Ha ha, I did not realize. I think I only used that super move once for the very reason that you had to pet Eevee to activate it, ha ha.

I mean, I do not know what the player base's feelings are concerning Aimie. In real life, I am a stealth Pokemon fan, and I have never really been on a Pokemon specific forum long enough to see that conversation, but I appreciate that they tried to add in that element, just so you can have an additional experience that helps to strengthen the trainer bond and make the Pokemon less one dimensional.

That said, I only wanted it to get to Tamagachi level, and if it starts to intrude into the game, I think they messed up. I personally think they have a sweet spot, where having the bond is incentivized but you do not HAVE to be actively doing it.

In reflecting, I think it comes down to a fundamental difference in personality. I have always enjoyed games like The Sims, Harvest Moon, Animal Crossing, etc. because I find caring for things to be fun. I think a lot of people experience that more as chore or obligation, and that is not saying anything negative (I think I'm the weird one lol), but I think when you add those things into entertainment, people are bewildered if not aghast.

I would personally like to see more personality infused into individual Pokemon, maybe random wants or desires that if you fulfill in-game develops your bond. It would be nice to see bonding turned into an activity, rather than a passive process that just occurs because you used them more than the other ones sitting in your box. Reinforce the partner aspect.
Ah a fellow Sims fan (1, 2, 3 or 4?). I'd recommend Stardew Valley over Harvest Moon though.

And well, my statement refers to a specific statement by Masuda; when people critiqued that there was little/no post-game to LGPE, he responded by saying that he hoped they'd spend a lot of time playing with and grooming their Pikachu/Eevee. Which, sorry is pretty ridiculous, because at least to me, petting a virtual pretend animal is severely lacking in enjoyment when compared to caring for a real-life pet and cannot at all be a substitute for a post-game storyline (then again, I think GF should work on making proper, long and satisfying main quests before they worry about the post game...)
On the whole I would not want Pokemon to become like the early Digimon or Monster Rancher games in this regard where you have to invest a lot of time an energy in training and rearing your monster to the point where it is the main part of the game, but I like Pokemonamie/Refresh.

edit: I think spinning off into the Orange Islands would be awesome. As to people saying they only existed in the anime... so? I mean you could retcon from that and develop it out. I haven't watched the anime in forever, but I saw someone mention that there are only four gyms. What if one of the features they develop in LG is being a gym leader? Give an outlet for a feature requested by players and develop that gameplay loop in an entirely isolated environment. Just a thought.

I know right? When it comes down to it, none of the regions in Pokemon "exist" before Gamefreak develops and releases them and since LGPE is already a gigantic Nostalgia-fest for both Gen1 and the Anime, I don't see any problem with them being from an old filler arc either, since it'd just be more Nostalgia.
I'm not saying it's gonna happen or that it's even remotely likey, just that I'd find it interesting. Amd unlike Let's Go P/E and Let's Go (Johto) I'd at least be a little tempted to get it.