• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Thrash usage, is it viable?

WeatherEffectRain

Arm Wrestle?
Alright, so here's the deal; Everyone sees *Example* those sets saying 'You can use either Dragon Claw or Outrage on this Haxorus/Garchomp/Mence/Etc.' My deal is; Why isn't Thrash used more often? It's an equivalent to a Normal Outrage, only having two types added resists, and it's still stronger than Return.(Last time I checked, correct me if I'm wrong)

If there's, say, a Normal Physical Attacker that can learn Thrash, why would we use Return all the time over an occasional Thrash? Is it because Normal is so easy to switch into? Steels are quite prevelant; it doesn't stop Outrage. The Immunity of Ghosts? Hold back, plus Coverage, same with Outrage; You'd never rush an Outrage when you know very well they have a *Example* Scizor. Is it because Return is strong enough? Dragon Claw is pretty similar, I don't see the reason they'd only use Dragon Claw and not Outrage, because Dragon Claw has good power already.

I really find few points saying Thrash isn't viable; It's not seen often, but for reasons that escape me. I understand that it can be, bluntly put, ignorant, but I want to know anything that just forces it's non-use.

Monster Guy

Fairy type Trainer
Or Rollout for that matter. Unlike Thrash/Outrage/Petal Dance, you're not left confused after the attack finishes.

I think it's because only one type actually resists Outrage. Several types resist/are immune to the others. :/

Guildenstarn

That Guy
Because moves that lock you into an attack arn't very good in general, since it makes it very easy for your opponent to switch to an immunity/resist and set up. Outrage use is tolerated because of how increadibly powerful it is coming off of something like a base 130 attack with STAB, and is then only resisted by steel type, which doesnt really have very many set-up sweepers. Besides, outrage is usually only used after a boost of some sort (CB, Ddance, etc.) Which means its going to be powerful enought to OHKO alotta things. Thrash and Petal Dance just dont have any Viable users either.

3.14kachu

2.72pic √(-1)nventor
Outrage is used mainly because it has a huge difference in power over the next best physical dragon move, Dragon Claw (I'm not getting into Dragon Rush; it's too inaccurate). If there was a Dragon-type Return out there, we would be using that instead of Outrage. But as it is, Dragon Claw is pretty weak, Outrage is the best we can do to get power without too many drawbacks.

Thrash, on the other hand, is never used because Return is, quite frankly, good enough. 102 power without the drawbacks of being forced to use it over and over and getting confused and being Ghost, Rock, Steel, and Torment bait is just preferable to Thrash.

That's my best explanation, anyway.

*EDIT* - The guy before me pretty much said it, but I posted too soon to notice. I guess I got ninja'd.

BIGJRA

Catchin' Em All
Thrash: 1 immunity, 2 weaknesses, 0 doubles
Outrage: 0 immunities, 1 weakness, 1 double.
Whatif you start thrash and they switch into GHost, Rock, Steel?

Thrash isn't unusable, but a lot of the Pokemon that would run it have better options. Birds like Staraptor, Dodrio and Wargle get Brave Bird for a high powered STAB so can usually just run Double Edge or Return.

Its not useless but generally the power difference isn't massive enough to warrent a suicide charge by locking yourself into a highly resisted move.

ParaChomp

be your own guru
Or Rollout for that matter. Unlike Thrash/Outrage/Petal Dance, you're not left confused after the attack finishes.

I think it's because only one type actually resists Outrage. Several types resist/are immune to the others. :/
Try max HP and Special defence on a Shucke with Rollout, Defence Curl, Power Swap and Rest.

Its not useless but generally the power difference isn't massive enough to warrent a suicide charge by locking yourself into a highly resisted move.
That sums it up.

Ciliano

Well, Return is enough in most cases, but in those lower tiers... like way down there it's a cooler option because they're aren't as many Normal resists down there. I never really thought about it in my opinion.

thunder_dragon2

~VirtualSpiritz
There aren't that many Pokémon that are able to be decent and have a STAB Thrash, as most Outrage users have STAB. Also, Normal is resisted by more things than Dragon.
Also, the most important point, it sounds cooler.

Ivanka

Freeeeeeeeee
Normal is resisted by 2 types and then has no effect on Ghost types. This means that they could either switch in after you Thrash, or predict your thrash and then this gives them an opportunity to set up whatever they want. With Outrage, no Pokemon is immune to it, and so you can still deal a lot of damage even to a Pokemon that resists. Generally, most Outrage users also learn Dragon Dance, a way to boost up their power even further, this normally isn't the case with most Thrash users.

MasterLucario

No life till leather
Not really. Being normal type, you really can't do a lot to pokes. Outrage or Petal Dance, on the other hand, are great because of BP and STAB and just how much coverage they get.

chanseychansey77

Elite Trainer
Thrash: 1 immunity, 2 weaknesses, 0 doubles
Outrage: 0 immunities, 1 weakness, 1 double.
Whatif you start thrash and they switch into GHost, Rock, Steel?

Not to mention that, while most Dragon Types have 130+ base Atk., most normal types can't be counted to have anything over 110.