• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Three men arrested for Gordon Brown Death-Thread

Kakashi-Sharingan Warrior

Three men arrested for Gordon Brown Death-Threat

Source: http://news.uk.msn.com/Article.aspx?cp-documentid=9353402

Okay, so three alleged Al-Queda supporters have been arrested for under suspision of planning to assassinate Prime Minster Gordon Brown. Now, Considering the last, and currently only, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom to be assassinated was Spencer Perceval in 1812, almost 200 years ago.

I think if this is proven to be true, this is definatly a time for Gordon Brown to step down, regardless of his political impression, if people are planning on killing him, he should do so for his life.

Last edited:

Better than being dead. You need to remember, he has a wife and children.

Cain Nightroad

Daydreaming
I'm going to have to agree with Babylon on this one. If you're the leader of a major world power, then you can't just step down -- that's leaving the country in a time where they need you most. Gordon-Brown should keep tighter security, but definitely shouldn't step down, and I doubt he will. Unless he's a particularly weak leader, he probably will stay in office. When Al-Quaeda is still out there, the United Kingdom needs a strong leader.

Well, he isn't a very popular leader anyway....I read the Labour party was planning a revolt or something.

I do think he needs to at least take caution now, as I said before he has his family to consider. I mean, Spencer Percival was killed by a mentally-ill person who claimed his money losses were due to him, so this will be the first serious assassination attempt for the United Kingdom.

Cain Nightroad

Daydreaming
All major politicians and leaders must be prepared to face death threats. As for the wife and children, he might send them into hiding so Al-Quaeda doesn't use them as their way to hurt him. On the opposite hand, though, his death would be a terrible grievance for his family, and the United Kingdom.

The main thing is that seeing as this is the first serious death threat, and the first death threat in two centuries, the U.K. is certainly going to have tighter security. As for him being an unpopular leader, the U.S. isn't revolting against Bush, who is an extremely unpopular leader. If we aren't revolting, I'm guessing that Great Britain can have some restraint.

That is very true about Bush, but hey, he'll be gone soon, we've only just got Brown xD.

I do honestly think they should bulk up the security now, especially around Mr. Brown and Downing Street.

Raiburuto

~Grammar Nazi
Gordon Brown should stand down, and call a General Election.

He only became PM because Blair left him the position, the public had no choice.

Not that good a leader, he needs to sort out his priorities.

Seriously, trying to make it so kids have to stay in school until they're 18 is not what he should be focusing on.

We don't need him, we need someone competent.

Conquistador

Vive la Revolution!
I'm going to have to agree with Babylon on this one. If you're the leader of a major world power, then you can't just step down -- that's leaving the country in a time where they need you most. Gordon-Brown should keep tighter security, but definitely shouldn't step down, and I doubt he will. Unless he's a particularly weak leader, he probably will stay in office. When Al-Quaeda is still out there, the United Kingdom needs a strong leader.

Not to mention it shows a lack of faith in the counter-terrorism programs that his government runs.

Personally, I think it is cowardly to stand down due to death threats. They were inevitable for anyone in such a powerful position as he.

However, I do believe that, for the reasons stated in the following quote, he should stand down (or rather should have already) anyway. But, in light of these threats, now is most certainly not the time to do so.

Gordon Brown should stand down, and call a General Election.

He only became PM because Blair left him the position, the public had no choice.

Not that good a leader, he needs to sort out his priorities.

Seriously, trying to make it so kids have to stay in school until they're 18 is not what he should be focusing on.

We don't need him, we need someone competent.

Well I think with this as well, Gordon Brown will consider standing down, as a measure to protect his life. We do need a general election though.

Btw, the thread title isn't a lame pun, it's a mispelling..>>

Raiburuto

~Grammar Nazi
Although I believe Gordon Brown should stand down, I don't think now is the right time.

I think he should stand down after the death threats die down.

Over wise, the country may believe he was abandoning them, and doing what's best for him, and not the country, which shouldn't be the priority of any world leader in my opinion.

I do appreciate that this is a political topic, but could we focus on the news story at hand - that is, the assassination attempts - if you want to discuss the political effects of our dear old Prime Minister then feel free to make a topic in the debate forum, I am sure a lot of our British members feel strongly about the debacle he is making of this country, so yeah.

Thanks guys.

Also, I find it pretty weird that a few days ago Obama was apparentley to be assassinated, and now Brown. Doesn't sound like the work of annoyed Brits though, heh.

Gordon Brown will never get assassinated. Becuase nothing ever works right if its to do with him.

Anyway, I heard this on the news, that these Al-Queada wanted to kill Gordon Brown. I just said 'Fair enough'

What I meant was that whenever something involves Gordon Brown, it gets messed up. Becuase the assassination involves him, becuase he's the target, the assassination gets messed up.

RayRay

asillywonderfulman
as long as David Cameron doesnt get into power, i dont care. Im struggling to think of someone good to take GBs place though!!

Either Brown or Cameron....hardest choice ever. When I watch the house of commons sometimes, it just seems Cameron and Brown are in a personal argument xD

But I think if it does prove to be Al Queda and not someone or media using the organisation as a scapegoat, it will be a step ahead in the war on terror, the 7/7 Attacks were on British transport, but now it will be against the actual Prime Minister.

I do appreciate that this is a political topic, but could we focus on the news story at hand - that is, the assassination attempts - if you want to discuss the political effects of our dear old Prime Minister then feel free to make a topic in the debate forum, I am sure a lot of our British members feel strongly about the debacle he is making of this country, so yeah.

Thanks guys.

Also, I find it pretty weird that a few days ago Obama was apparentley to be assassinated, and now Brown. Doesn't sound like the work of annoyed Brits though, heh.

A Gordon Brown hate topic? Sounds interesting

BloodthirstPriest

I don't speak monkey
I find this annoying:

Al-Quaeda

Al-Queada

If you want to use the word, then type it correctly. IT IS WRITTEN IN THE ARTICLE. Maybe that's proof nobody has actually gone through the article properly. *sigh*. IT IS AL-QAIDA OR AL-QAEDA.
Simplified Transliteration: al qa-e-dah.

Anyway, for a leader to step down because he is afraid of his life is really pathetic, and is a sign of lack of leadership. If the leader is not brave enough, then the leader is not fit to lead. However, if his actions are true, and are inconveniencing the British public, then yes he should resign. If his reason to step down is "I'm afraid" then I have no idea how he became prime minister.

I read the article, I just can't spell some words, but thanks for mentioning the correct spelling, I'll try and remember it xD

Well, Gordon Brown is hated among the British public anyway, and people were asking him to resign anyway, so why shouldn't he now? Self-Preservation is human nature.

BloodthirstPriest

I don't speak monkey
Well, Gordon Brown is hated among the British public anyway, and people were asking him to resign anyway, so why shouldn't he now? Self-Preservation is human nature.

If he is not doing his job properly, then yes he should resign, but I don't think he will, because it will make him look like he's fearing for his life, and that won't leave a good image. He'll try to preserve his image.