• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Three Sides to Every Story (605)

Blaziryu

This episode wasn't bad. What I loved was the Raikou dream. Piplup's still cute and funny, not a bad episode.

Agree. This episode was meh! Piplup should keep dreaming b/c it's never going to defeat an Raikou in reality.

Does that mean Piplup is a cross dressing penguin? I mean, it wore a pink cheerleader outfit before so...

Yeah, I was going to say something about this. Isn't Piplup a girl? It was acting like a lovesick Brock in this episode. Maybe it's a hermanphrodite.

Opal Pikachu13

Is everyone forgetting raikou made an appearance in an anime episode already???

He appeared in the episode in johto Houndoom's special delivery

Raikou also appeared in Pokemon Chronicles, "Legend of Thunder". As for the episode, I knew Piplup wasn't going to be with Marill, there were other Pokemon that had got the same treatment back in the other Pokemon seasons (Totodile, Grovyle (before it was Sceptile, Marshtomp to name a few). The Raikou dream was surprising to see, but Piplup would never actually have a chance on defeating one. And lol when Piplup felt rejected after seeing Marill end up with Elekid at the end. It was a cute and humorous episode, wasn't bad at all.

Ludi-Cola

Drink Responsibly
Shinnie-tan said:
Does that mean Piplup is a cross dressing penguin? I mean, it wore a pink cheerleader outfit before so...
Blaziryu said:
Yeah, I was going to say something about this. Isn't Piplup a girl? It was acting like a lovesick Brock in this episode. Maybe it's a hermanphrodite.
You don't have to be a boy to get spurned by a crush. Girls get rejected IRL and on anime (tho it does not seem that men are only the losing half more often).
As I said in the anime FAQ outfits can be used to speculate the gender but it doesn't confirm (TR's Meowth has dressed up as May and other feminine costumes and he's well-established as male, same can be said for humans like Harley, James, and even Ashy-boy). You need to have a Poke be refered to as male/female or be a species that is always a confirmed gender to say for sure.

uber gon

Accept Change
Lesson in this episode: Jessie probably does not know how to heal pokémon via berries.

S.Suikun

Thank you, SPPf! :)
This episode is so "been there, done that" that I'm gonna rehash an old favorite of my own - bullet-point madness!

- Raikou appears to Piplup in a dream. This can only mean it's time for the first of many, many Johto Pokemon-packed episodes! Who knows, maybe Dunsparce will finally get one. And I mean one that doesn't suck.
- "Look, guys! A random orchard! We've totally never seen one of those before! Let's trespass!"
- HOLY COW IT'S PIKABLU! I do hope that Flareth appears in this episode also!
- When a daddy Piplup and a mommy Piplup love each other very much, they make an egg. You can learn the in-between details when you're older and see it for yourself on the street.
- Hello, Filler Girl! You look so different from every other green-haired filler girl in this series that it's baffling how I mistook you for every other green-haired filler girl in this series.
- You know, at first I thought those Sunfloras were armed with those exterminator packs.
- Haven't we seen enough Elekids in this series? Poor Magby is crying in his volcano.
- Can I skip forward in the episode? No, because that means I'll miss cute displays as Piplup practicing its balancing act or TR attempting a scheme?
- Well damn, Meowth in his Sunflora costume is always a winner in my book, so I have to watch it. Curse you, writers.
- TR steals Pokemon...zzzzzzzzzzz...
- I almost feel like I'm supposed to be charmed by these "dunce Piplup" scenes. I guess I have to buy another plushie now.
- I actually really like the goofy music in this episode. At least the episode isn't taking itself seriously.
- Okay so that Jessie/berry scene just washed away all immense boredom I was having with this episode.
- Ash gets a box of what I can only assume are berries that will never be used.
- I swear I've heard this music before...Canalave City? Can't put my finger on it.
- "That's all folks!"-style ending transition? I'm sure it has a technical name.

Sure, the last "Pokemon-falls-in-love" episode was some time ago, but this one failed to stand out in any way whatsoever. There were numerous cute scenes, and one huge laugh in the form of Jessie eating the berry, but there have been much stronger "cute" episodes in this saga.

STICKTOPIA

This episode is so "been there, done that" that I'm gonna rehash an old favorite of my own - bullet-point madness!

- Raikou appears to Piplup in a dream. This can only mean it's time for the first of many, many Johto Pokemon-packed episodes! Who knows, maybe Dunsparce will finally get one. And I mean one that doesn't suck.
- "Look, guys! A random orchard! We've totally never seen one of those before! Let's trespass!"
- HOLY COW IT'S PIKABLU! I do hope that Flareth appears in this episode also!
- When a daddy Piplup and a mommy Piplup love each other very much, they make an egg. You can learn the in-between details when you're older and see it for yourself on the street.
- Hello, Filler Girl! You look so different from every other green-haired filler girl in this series that it's baffling how I mistook you for every other green-haired filler girl in this series.
- You know, at first I thought those Sunfloras were armed with those exterminator packs.
- Haven't we seen enough Elekids in this series? Poor Magby is crying in his volcano.
- Can I skip forward in the episode? No, because that means I'll miss cute displays as Piplup practicing its balancing act or TR attempting a scheme?
- Well damn, Meowth in his Sunflora costume is always a winner in my book, so I have to watch it. Curse you, writers.
- TR steals Pokemon...zzzzzzzzzzz...
- I almost feel like I'm supposed to be charmed by these "dunce Piplup" scenes. I guess I have to buy another plushie now.
- I actually really like the goofy music in this episode. At least the episode isn't taking itself seriously.
- Okay so that Jessie/berry scene just washed away all immense boredom I was having with this episode.
- Ash gets a box of what I can only assume are berries that will never be used.
- I swear I've heard this music before...Canalave City? Can't put my finger on it.
- "That's all folks!"-style ending transition? I'm sure it has a technical name.

Sure, the last "Pokemon-falls-in-love" episode was some time ago, but this one failed to stand out in any way whatsoever. There were numerous cute scenes, and one huge laugh in the form of Jessie eating the berry, but there have been much stronger "cute" episodes in this saga.
Dunsparce would be the last pokemon I would ever want to see. That pokemon is practically nothing.

randomspot555

I thought the opening sequence was awesome.

I typically don't care for episodes that focus heavily on Pokemon talking jibberish to each other. But this was an exception. Pochama had a decent personality, Satoshi seemed to take a back seat a bit.

Episode preview for the next week is awesome. Though I groaned a bit that the Japanese name for Umbreon is "Blacky." I was hoping it was a dumb nickname, but nope, I looked it up on Bulbapedia and confirmed my fear.

EDIT: It also helped that the music was on in this episode. Still enjoying the remix of High Touch.

S.Suikun

Thank you, SPPf! :)
Dunsparce would be the last pokemon I would ever want to see. That pokemon is practically nothing.
I'd unleash an angry flock of ten dozen Dunsparce to smite thee, if it weren't for the fact that Dunsparce in incapable of smiting or any other act of destructive usefulness. In that way, Dunsparce is not much different from you and I. Must you insult us so? If we can appreciate our personal Dunsparce-ness, then perhaps we can live in eternal Dunsparce-topia with fellow Dunsparce-kind. We should learn to appreciate one another's Dunsparce-ity. That would be Dunsparce-tastic.
Episode preview for the next week is awesome. Though I groaned a bit that the Japanese name for Umbreon is "Blacky." I was hoping it was a dumb nickname, but nope, I looked it up on Bulbapedia and confirmed my fear.
First-gen name JP Romanizations are even better. Nothing like Ghost and Crab.

STICKTOPIA

I'd unleash an angry flock of ten dozen Dunsparce to smite thee, if it weren't for the fact that Dunsparce in incapable of smiting or any other act of destructive usefulness. In that way, Dunsparce is not much different from you and I. Must you insult us so? If we can appreciate our personal Dunsparce-ness, then perhaps we can live in eternal Dunsparce-topia with fellow Dunsparce-kind. We should learn to appreciate one another's Dunsparce-ity. That would be Dunsparce-tastic.

First-gen name JP Romanizations are even better. Nothing like Ghost and Crab.
How is it "not much" different from us?

TeddiUrsa

Yay! I´m back!

I was gone? Yes, indeed. I stopped watching the anime for a while but I am rewatching the missed episodes with the wonders of technology now.

So, after my hiatus I started with this episode...

I am not a big fan of Marril, at least in the anime, where it sneaks its blue ball into way too many episodes without being interesting in particular. This time...it is no exception.

I loved Pochama though. This little guy is just adorable and funny at the same time. Pikachu done right, personality wise if you ask me. Not that hard considering Pikachu doesn´t really have a personality anymore to begin with,but still.

What I don´t get are the chosen Pokémon. We had a few pretty important episodes with Shinji´s Elekid at the beginning of DP. Was there really no other Jotho Pokémon to use in this? I complained enough about Marill already, but the point still stands.

Anyway, Pochama made this episode for me, so it wasn´t too bad and had its funny moments. I still wonder what Hikari would have done if Marill actually chose Pochama at the end. The love between the peguin and the mouse was never meant to be...

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
A useless, but still cute, Filler.

Nothing really happened except that maybe we learned more about Piplup's gender.

I do like how Elekid showed up again. Fighting Piplup for Marill's love. 3/10

Ash-kid

Ash-kid
I loved this filler.

Elekid and Piplup were rivals, it was funny.

And Marril was cute.

6/10

Brumrha

Banned
Nice animation. Hum-drum plot.

At least it wasn't titled "Love, Piplup Style", am I right folks?

You would be absolutely right.

Long story short, nobody learned anything, nobody captured anyone, nobody released anyone, & basically, nothing important has happened here. At all! This is practically the new definition of a filler episode. So with that said, this isn't going to get my usual summary.

"Yay!" moments:
- Piplup fighting off Raikou?! Awesomeness!
- Piplup getting all fumed over the Elekid had got me going as well.
- The ending was a rather dramatic foreshadowing as to what is coming next...

"Boo!" moments:
- Piplup falling in love with a Marill at sight... yuck! I'm a sworn enemy of love, & whenever it rears its ugly head here, I tend to bring out my anti-love serum.
- TR still can't leave well enough alone, they must steal something...

"Laugh like Aku" moments:
- Piplup failed to help Marill up a 2-foot up-cropping, whilst Elekid succeeded. AHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!
- Marill chose Elekid over Piplup, so he gets all heartbroken. Which means... AHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Anyway, nothing to see here. I'm moving on...

Last edited:

Vernikova

Champion
I was kind of hoping Brock would tell Piplup the same thing he told Ash in the second episode in Sinnoh. For some reason I would've liked to see Brock get more involved in the plot. I also liked the dream that Piplup had in the begining of the episode where Dawn was being attacked by Raikou because it just seemed kind of cool to me.

Torpoleon

This was actually a pretty good episode. Pipulp and Elekid fighting over Marill was cool! I liked when Piplup was crying. Too bad we know that Piplup can't beat a real Raikou.

9/10
It was great alright. But, it still seemed kind of like a filler I guess.

Swampert_trainer

Laughs at thunder
Marill! My favroite Johto Pokemon! So that started the episode on a good foot. I enjoyed the Raikou dream. I'm glad Ash didn't hot the entire episode. It was a pretty interesting "pokemon in love" episode. I really wish this would happen to Pikachu, but that would ruin his awesome image of being a Pokemon Player.

Hey, speaking of Pikachu and love, has anyone seen Buneary?

wind21

This episode is not terrible, but neither is it very interesting. Piplup lacks Brock's entertainment value when it comes to the romantic game (speaking of Brock, I was surprised that for once there was a girl COD he did not like), and it also does not help that Piplup had a lot of focus with Shellos in last week's episode. Ash was the best character in this one, just because he maintained his focus when it came to battling and kept his thoughts to himself on the whole love triangle after voicing his opinion and realizing that no one else agreed with him (I wish Team Rocket would have kept quieter, as well). We saw Gliscor and Staraptor during the search; and later we saw Ash skillfully use Grotle against Team Rocket.
Other Thoughts:
One cringeworthy moment was when Ash used his Pokedex to check Elekid.

Wow, Dawn and Brock really let Piplup know he blew a chance to impress Marill after losing to Elekid. Dawn should not have stopped Pikachu from helping out.

There were too many Piplup and Elekid fighting scenes. Piplup and Pikachu vs. Electabuzz earlier in Sinnoh was funnier.

I almost missed the part at the end with the festival at Twinleaf town. I thought the episode was over and was ready to turn off the tv.

Last edited: