• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Three Sides to Every Story (605)

Shadow XD001

I kind of liked this episode. It wasn't the best, but it was still good. I thought it was weird how Brock didn't go crazy over the COTD girl, but there was some love in the episode. Anyway, Ash has seen Elekids enough times to not have to use a PokéDex on it.

Nice to see Grotle, but what happened to Staraptor? Unless I missed Ash returning it to its PokéBall, I didn't see it after Ash let go search for Piplup, Marill, and Elekid.

Yes, I was ready to leave because I thought the episode ended. -_-

GalladeRocks

Son of a Beach
Ok, people keep talking about this episode being a filler. However, we learned Piplup's gender in this episode, so it's technically not a filler.

Now back to the episode. I knew Ash was, how to put this, emotionally immature before, but in this episode he just takes the cake. And Elekid looks way to happy when it's riding Piplup across the river.

Torpoleon

Ok, people keep talking about this episode being a filler. However, we learned Piplup's gender in this episode, so it's technically not a filler.

Now back to the episode. I knew Ash was, how to put this, emotionally immature before, but in this episode he just takes the cake. And Elekid looks way to happy when it's riding Piplup across the river.
I don't know if having a main character's Pokémon gender confirmed decides if an episode is a filler or not, but Piplup might have gotten some character development in this episode, so I guess it is not a filler.

Dattebayo

Banned
It's funny that this episode contained mostly Johto Pokemon and I was playing my Pokemon Gold to be prepared for the remakes. At first, I was excited that today's episode was going to be about Raikou (about time), but it dwindles away it turns out it was all just a dream. Marill should've been with Piplup because I'm pretty sure that Elekid isn't from the same egg type as Marill; I could be wrong. I'm surprised that Brock didn't give Piplup much advise to get the girl considering that he always flirts with them.

JohnLee

You would be absolutely right.

Long story short, nobody learned anything, nobody captured anyone, nobody released anyone, & basically, nothing important has happened here. At all! This is practically the new definition of a filler episode. So with that said, this isn't going to get my usual summary.

"Yay!" moments:
- Piplup fighting off Raikou?! Awesomeness!
- Piplup getting all fumed over the Elekid had got me going as well.
- The ending was a rather dramatic foreshadowing as to what is coming next...

"Boo!" moments:
- Piplup falling in love with a Marril at sight... yuck! I'm a sworn enemy of love, & whenever it rears its ugly head here, I tend to bring out my anti-love serum.
- TR still can't leave well enough alone, they must steal something...

"Laugh like Aku" moments:
- Piplup failed to help Marril up a 2-foot up-cropping, whilst Elekid succeeded. AHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!
- Marril chose Elekid over Piplup, so he gets all heartbroken. Which means... AHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Anyway, nothing to see here. I'm moving on...

I agree, the opening to the episode was definitely awesome! They should do more dramatic endings like that! I almost missed it because I thought the episode was over! Anyone else kinda miss how they used to show previews of the next episode?

Tf5174

It was okay episode but boring, hurry up better episodes.

STICKTOPIA

Ash's idiocy about love once again..... Ahh Piplup and Elekid fighting. Piplup couldn't win Marill's heart b/c it would have to stay and that can't happen. This was a good episode. I don't really understand what the Raikou thing was for....

5ilVer

<-- so adorable ^_^
I laughed...though I do feel kind of sorry for Piplup....
---------
*cough cough* "well, u know like when a boy likes a girl they will sometimes go out of their way to tease them at first right?" *cough cough*

"u are such a loser Ashy-boy!* ;)

Inkan1969

shipping

I love shipping stories. So I had a good time watching this episode. Piplup tends to come off like a jerk, but I felt a lot more sympathetic to him in this ep. I see he couldn't rebound the way Totodile did. :) But I hope that he doesn't turn villain the way Meowth did.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
It's funny that this episode contained mostly Johto Pokemon .

Surely, to promote Pokemon HeartGold and SoulSilver?

It was fun watching the English version. Though these Shipping episodes aren't as good in English as they are in Japanese.

ash_forever

Greatest Hero
Cropped again?! >.>
My version is in the proper aspect ratio, so I was sure CN had aired today's Pokemon episode in widescreen. That's weird..
But hey, it's just like gambling. You never know the outcome! Or in Shakespeare's phrase: "To be cropped or not to be cropped- that's the question" :D

Anyways, a really entertaining episode. What I had considered a "filler" before, once again turned out to be pretty amusing and profound.
I don't know where to start:
First of all, you can't help liking Ash's clueless expression when it comes to love. Together with his even more clueless comments, that was just priceless (btw. that's what I call a comic relief; not a Pokemon acting goofily)

I don't know why, but I also liked the whole setting with the orchard and the friendly girl and so on. Watching Pokemon for 12 years now, I'm somehow surprised that so many people our heroes have come across so far are extremely hospitable. But today's CoD sure was unique with regard to hospitality : After a short introduction she willingly offered them to spend the night at her place. Wow! I guess people in the Pokemon world sure trust each other. If only this were the case in our world too... :(

Well, you could actually write much about the rivalry between Piplup and Elekid, but I want ot limit myself to the best scenes:
- Piplup failing to build a bridge. That moment when he sadly and jealously looked up to Marill and Elekid somehow moved me.
- That short elbow-fight...just like in real-life situations. Great!
- Piplup being confronted with the truth at the end of the episode. His expressions were hilarious. Add Brock's advice, especially in light of the fact that Brock himself constantly fails to impress women, and you get a perfect conclusion of a decent and funny episode!

However, as a Pokemon fan who primarily focuses on training, battling and battling strategies when watching Pokemon, I was a little bit disappointed to see how easily Piplup was defeated. Sure, he was at a disadvantage, but are we still supposed to believe that type disadvantage is that much of a problem? :(
Given the circumstances (Marill watching while the the rivals were fighting), it would have been wise to use Bide to endure the Electric attacks and then surprise and possibly OHKO Elekid. This would certainly have looked heroic and Piplup would have won Marill's heart in no time!
Mindlessly using water attacks without preventing Elekid from launching counter-attacks,however, was pretty much a greenhorn mistake.
So from a tactical point of view today's episode could have been better, but well, I guess it was meant to focus on other aspects.

All in all, an entertaining episode with the emphasis on humor

6.5/ 7 out of 10 points

G4Pokefan

THE AURA IS WITH ME
I was surprised how entertaining this ep. was. Loved this type of animation as always and kinda liked the dream that Piplup was protecting Dawn from Raikou.

(Sighs) Even in the Pokemon world its pretty much the same thing: the female always goes for the bullies/thug types instead of the nice guys.

jolteonjak

*swoons for Noland*
raikou was the best part of this episode

lol - I'll do one better. The berries were the best part of this episode. I'm not a Piplup hater, but I really fail to see the point of this episode. The phone call at the end could have easily been made in any other episode (for countless other reasons).

Last edited:

WaterDragon trainer

Freak Like Me
This episode was ok. Nothing much to comment on except the fact that I like the part between Elekid, Piplup, and Marill.

Dragon Master Fiona

Dragon Master
I actually liked this episode. But the only thing that bothered was the ending when Johanna mentioned she is the chairman of the Twinleaf Fest. Its just the way Dawn said it that kind of upset me. She said "What? Mom why you?" That's the only part that annoyed me. I'm really starting to dislike Dawn more and more again. (Flame me all you want I'm just giving my opinion).

Typhlosion Trainer

Fire Trainer
The episode was ok. I did laugh at the fact that Piplup kept fighting with Elekid for Marill. It was pretty much guarenteed that Piplup would lose the love battle b/c it wouldnt be able to stay.

I second that.

Ash-kid

Ash-kid
Only the begining was boring, the end with Grotle and TR was pretty cool.