• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Thundurus and Landorus, bringers of DOOOM!

Zachmac

Peaked at #18.

Oh, and sorry for the name, I've been playing an RPG with nerdy doom jokes lately.

Anyway, now that B/W2 has been released, I decided to download the alpha version of Pokemon Online 2 and see what the new games have to offer. I originally planned to make a voltturn team using the standard Rotom-W/Scizor core + Landorus, but I dropped that core once I decided to test out scarf Thundurus. So, as of now, it's a team revolving around the surprisingly good Thundurus/Landorus core.

landorus.png
479-c.gif
385.gif
121.gif
485.gif
thundurus.png

Now for the movesets.
642-therian.gif

Thundurus-T @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 Sp.att/252 Speed/4 sp.def
Nature: Timid
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power Ice
- Grass Knot
- Thunder

My usual lead and revenge killer. Thanks to volt absorb and HP ice, it can also check enemy Thundurus-Ts as well. It's already high speed and a choice scarf make it an amazing scout, being able to easily swap out on anything and let in the appropriate counter. Grass Knot catches those nasty Gastrodons and Mamoswines by surprise, and Thunder is a filler.

645-therian.gif

Landorus-T @ Choice Band
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4Hp/252 Att/252 Speed
Nature: Jolly
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Superpower
This guy hits so hard, I'd almost expect an Air Balloons Rotom fan to faint from it's earthquake. It does a great job at wall breaking, with stone edge for coverage and Superpower hitting nasty air balloon holders and putting those pink blobs in their place, along with a nice alternative to EQ when I'm not sure if a Skarmory is swapping in. And of course, it can't be volt turn without a U-turner.

479-w.gif

Rotom-W @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Sp.att/252 Speed
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- HP Ice
- Trick
Another high speed volt turner for when Thundurus can't do the job. It also counters Mamoswine, who gives my other volt turners a problem. Trick just counters those nasty Ferrothorn and Gastro Swap ins, and HP ice is perfect coverage.

385.gif

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP/224 Sp.def/32 Speed.
Nature: Careful
-Protect
-Body Slam
-Iron Head
-Wish
With this core being far more offensive then the standard Rotom/Scizor, I needed somethings to come in on attacks to balance that out. Jirachi is a great defensive pokemon who doesn't break the offensive momentum due to wish and the ability to paralyze enemies. Wish especially has saved my Landorus, Thundurus, and Rotom-C many times, completely turning around the tide of the battle. It may also lure in those nasty Mamoswines on occasion.

121.gif

Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 Sp.att/252 speed
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Rapid Spin
A rapid spinner that doesn't lose offensive momentum if I predict correctly. Hydro Pump is a powerful STAB, bolt beam is amazing coverage, and Rapid Spin helps keep Thundurus up and running.

485.gif

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP/252 Spd/ 8 Speed
Nature: Calm
- Lava Plume
- Roar
- Protect
- Stealth Rock
Stealth rock is an extremely important move to Volt Turn teams, due to do amount of swap outs it causes. It also covers up Jirachi's fire weakness, and their ground weakness is covered up by the three volt turners. Roar helps me remove set up sweepers, especially Keldeo who think I'm going to swap out, and Volcarona who'd crush my team otherwise.
None at the moment.
Problems
-None I can think of at the moment, except the extremely rare substitute Mamoswine.

Last edited:

AlexandriaTheMixed

You A Stupid Hoe.
Shouldn't Starmie serve as a status absorber? I mean, it has Natural Cure.

I think you should use Focus Blast or Hammer Arm > Thunder on Thundurus. Or you could go risky and replace Thunderbolt. Just having Tbolt and Thunder on the same set is useless.

I'd also say Heatran > Infernape for reasons stated in the questions thread.

Zachmac

Shouldn't Starmie serve as a status absorber? I mean, it has Natural Cure.
/Headdesk

It's my newest member, so I forgot about that. Hm...but it's going to be risky swapping in on a grass type.
I think you should use Focus Blast or Hammer Arm > Thunder on Thundurus. Or you could go risky and replace Thunderbolt. Just having Tbolt and Thunder on the same set is useless.
Eh, neither moves get much use anyway, so I guess I may as well.
I'd also say Heatran > Infernape for reasons stated in the questions thread.
Oh, I read that. I'm going to be testing Heatran tomorrow.

Ilan

So... you already started with B2W2 competitively.. nice

anyway what ability infernape uses iron fist or blaze?
anyway most of the team is just standard old BW OU sets I liked the expert belt on nape I used that set too
I think 3 electric attacks on 1 set is redundant but MEH use what you see useful as for volcarona a good check would be stone edge on infernape but only if you think mach punch isn't doing it's job..
why slowbro is a problem? you have thunderus and starmie.

if someone is the weak link it is infernape maybe try mienshao it got reckless in B2W2 (regenerator is great but maybe test reckless as it is strong) it also gets good speed and U-turn.. and with regenerator it can use life orb too.
you got 2 skarm checks already.. why you need 3?

Last edited:

Zachmac

why slowbro is a problem? you have thunderus and starmie.
Because that annoying this keeps on healing itself, and neither can OHKO it. Not a terribly bad problem, but still annoying.
anyway what ability infernape uses iron fist or blaze?
Oh...um...oops. Does it have Iron Fist already? I just gave it blaze to avoid DW.
I think 3 electric attacks on 1 set is redundant but MEH use what you see useful as for volcarona a good check would be stone edge on infernape but only if you think mach punch isn't doing it's job..
Meh, it only ever uses Volt Switch and HP ice anyway. The other two attacks are fillers who just sit there and look pretty.
if someone is the weak link it is infernape maybe try mienshao it got reckless in B2W2 (regenerator is great but maybe test reckless as it is strong) it also gets good speed and U-turn.. and with regenerator it can use life orb too.
Hm....I'll probably try that if I end up swapping Scizor for Heatran. The main reason I like to use Infernape over Mienshao is fire STAB.

But if I do swap it for Mienshao, I'll go with regenerator. That ability is wonders on a volt turn team.

Last edited:

Ilan

Infernape got Iron Fist long ago but male only now it also got fire punch and thunder punch via move tutors.

you have also scizor's U-turn... pursuit might help too by finishing him off.

seems like regenerator cores will be very popular now...

Last edited:

AlexandriaTheMixed

You A Stupid Hoe.
you got 2 skarm checks already.. why you need 3?
Wut. You just told him to use two abilities at the same time.

Houstan, I think we have problem. ;)
Because that annoying this keeps on healing itself, and neither can OHKO it. Not a terribly bad problem, but still annoying.Oh...um...oops. Does it have Iron Fist already? I just gave it blaze to avoid DW.Meh, it only ever uses Volt Switch and HP ice anyway. The other two attacks are fillers who just sit there and look pretty.Hm....I'll probably try that if I end up swapping Scizor for Heatran. The main reason I like to use Infernape over Mienshao is fire STAB.

But if I do swap it for Mienshao, I'll go with regenerator. That ability is wonders on a volt turn team.

That's exactly how I feel about Tornadus. I only use Hurricane and U-turn. Hammer Arm and Focus Blast are just there for looks.

Why would you replace Scizor? Heatran has the fire STAB that you want from Infernape. So why not just replace it instead of Scizor?

Ilan

Wut. You just told him to use two abilities at the same time.

Houstan, I think we have problem. ;)

That's exactly how I feel about Tornadus. I only use Hurricane and U-turn. Hammer Arm and Focus Blast are just there for looks.

Why would you replace Scizor? Heatran has the fire STAB that you want from Infernape. So why not just replace it instead of Scizor?

It seems like this but I actually told him to decide reckless for power or regenerator for recovery. yeah I put it wrong..

anyway as it is volt turn I think mienshao can be beter than nape with regenerator and life orb with fake out as a way to finish foes off.

Zachmac

Because Scizor wasn't as helpful as Infernape.

But, that's not a problem. I found a much better Scizor replacement, and it was obviously better after only a couple tries, and supported Thunderus very well. I'll add it in in a second, then I'll get to testing Heatran over Ape.
anyway as it is volt turn I think mienshao can be beter than nape with regenerator and life orb with fake out as a way to finish foes off.
Choosing between Mienshao and Nape is just choosing between recovery/power and the amazing Fire Stab, which can force just as many swap outs as power can. But if this Heatran works out the way I hope, I won't be using either.
Ah, the life of a speedy volt turner.

Last edited:

AlexandriaTheMixed

You A Stupid Hoe.
Go with SDef Heatran.

Stealth Rocks / Lava Plume / Toxic / Protect or Roar.

That way Jirachi can run Protect to garauntee it's own wish, and it can scout.

Zachmac

Go with SDef Heatran.

Stealth Rocks / Lava Plume / Toxic / Protect or Roar.

That way Jirachi can run Protect to garauntee it's own wish, and it can scout.
I didn't really think about that. I'll test both sets, and see how it works.

Edit: Both test were about even when it came to the pokemon themselves, but your suggested set improved my Jirachi a lot, so I'll add that in a moment.

Last edited:

AlexandriaTheMixed

You A Stupid Hoe.
Okay. Glad I could help. The team looks as good as it can get. I mean, you have two harsh ground weaknesses, but three levitaters.

Ghosts of the Forums

Who Ya Gonna Call?
Use focus miss on thundurus. Possibly instead of thunder.

Zachmac

Actually, I've used Thunder a couple times now. It's T-bolt that I haven't touched, while Thunder helped me crush a couple rain teams.

AlexandriaTheMixed

You A Stupid Hoe.
Then take a risk and use Focus Blast/Hammer Arm/Super Power > Thunderbolt.

Hey zachmac, Pretty nice looking team you got here. With the new BW2 meta, there will be tons of new genie formes testing. And with that, you might see quite a lot of Ice Shard abusers such as Abomasnow, Weavile, and Mamoswine.

The biggest threat is Mamoswine and/or Weavile, but Weavile is rarely seen so we'll just stick to Mamoswine You lose to the Jolly set of Earthquake | Superpower | Ice Shard | Icicle Spear / Icicle Crash. 5/6 take a Super Effective hit from it and will most likely die. Rotom-C gets 2HKO'd after rocks and isn't too hard to counter/check and switch to another pokemon. And seeing as how Mamoswine is often seen on Dragmag or Hail teams, Starmie shouldn't be a problem to get rid of either

Mind I suggesting a priority user like CB Scizor, Conkeldurr, Infernape, or something else that can outspeed Mamoswine such as Scarf Terrakion, Scarf Jirachi, or maybe even Scarf Politoed so you can better abuse Thundurus-T's Thunder. You can also try Skarmory somewhere since most thunder attacks can be direct to Landorus, but that would leave you pretty weak to opposing Thundurus

there may be more threats that i haven't named, but it's too late for me to think and I'm tired. So if i remember to post back here with more threats, i will do so :)

Whether you do take my suggestions into consideration or not, Good luck with your team and this new bw2 meta!

Dragonicwari

Artistically angry
how much of a difference is testing a scarf over band on landorus? is the damage difference notable? because you have the option of that to outrun mamo and ko, unless its also scarfed

Unfortunately (unless they don't run ice shard) it won't make a difference, my damage calculator was offline last night to add all of the new forms, and here is the damage calc;

252Atk Life Orb Mamoswine (Neutral) Ice Shard vs 4HP/0Def Landorus Therian (Neutral): 116% - 138% (372 - 444 HP). Guaranteed OHKO.

I to believe you need a mamoswine counter. Jirachi can counter if they don't predict right. Heatran is outspeed, but if they run a choice set and are locked into an ice move you'll be set. Starmie can revenge kill as well. However that leaves you with 3 checks (some of which rely on prediction) and no counters.

Zachmac

I to believe you need a mamoswine counter. Jirachi can counter if they don't predict right. Heatran is outspeed, but if they run a choice set and are locked into an ice move you'll be set. Starmie can revenge kill as well. However that leaves you with 3 checks (some of which rely on prediction) and no counters.
I usually swap Starmie in on ice shard, and it has worked every time so far. But you guys are right, I'm bound to come across a Mamo that does get the better of me.

Hm...I'll just see how it goes. If it gets too out of control, I'll see if I can find a nice Jirachi replacement. I'm thinking Slowbro...

Edit: New peak, #18.

Last edited:
I usually swap Starmie in on ice shard, and it has worked every time so far. But you guys are right, I'm bound to come across a Mamo that does get the better of me.

Hm...I'll just see how it goes. If it gets too out of control, I'll see if I can find a nice Jirachi replacement. I'm thinking Slowbro...

Edit: New peak, #18.
Congrats on 18
Currently sitting at 1419 points / rank 12 atm on PO's ladder. :)

But don't use Slowbro, it'll leave you weaker to Thundurus or Tornadus Therian Formes
I would either change Jirachi to Scarf or make it an offensive Jirachi.
Maybe this (Motagua's Jirachi Set):

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 164 HP / 168 Atk / 176 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Iron Head
- Fire Punch
- Substitute
- Thunder Wave

"Why this pokemon?
Jirachi is so excellent in spreading paralysis that it saved my life so many times against HO teams since he can survive a Banded Close Combat from Terrakion and paralyzes back. Did I mentioned those epic moments when you paraflinch a Scarf Rotom to death, the surprise KO on Scizor or troll a Sub-Charge Beam Magnezone with Fire Punch? :D.
EVs, Item & Nature
164 HP EVs gives the necesary bulk to avoid a 2HKO from Gengar's Shadow Ball while Landorus is unable to break the Sub with U-turn. 168 Attack EVs still gives Jirachi the same necesary OHKOs or 2HKOs he would have with max Attack. 176 Speed EVs to surpass positive-base 90 Speed pokemons like Lucario."

or

you can always swap Scarf Rotom-C for something like Scarf Terrakion and give Thundurus Grass Knot > Thunder