• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Time to buy a new computer, but which one?

Surfing_Pikachu

So, I've been a Mac guy for my entire life and am going to give Windows a try. I'm thinking of a Laptop that runs the newest OS possible (not sure if all of them come preloaded with Windows 7 now or not) and preferably under $600. I'm completely new to this foreign market of Windows computers, and if anyone could steer me in the right direction of what brands or models have the most quality that would be great.

(This does go in the Tech Help Board, right?)

Chubbs

You sure you want a lappy? You can do some amazing custom-build dasktops for that money. Also, what will it be used for exactly? As if its just surfing and the like then go for a lappy, however, if want to play games on high/ ultra settings then go for a desktop. For example, my current build cost me around £600 and it is able to run MW2/ Black Ops/ Bad Company 2/ any recant game (other than maybe Crysis on max) on high/ max settings at ~30 - ~60 fps depending on the game.

Once you become more specific I can help you more.

BuizelPidgeot

If you like to have a laptop, you can't go wrong with Hp. Just find the one that suits your needs. I have not had any unfixable problem with an Hp.

Chubbs

Hp? You really shouldn't get one of those. Go Sony instead, you can get a decent spec Vaio for £500 which should equate to $600 USD.

SkittyOnWailord

☣ⓈⓀⒾⓉⓉⓎⓄⓃⓌⒶⒾⓁⓄⓇⒹ☣
For example, my current build cost me around £600 and it is able to run MW2/ Black Ops/ Bad Company 2/ any recant game (other than maybe Crysis on max) on high/ max settings at ~30 - ~60 fps depending on the game.

You sure about that? My desktop has an i7 960 @3.2GHz, a GTX 480 and 6GB DDR3 1600 RAM and still can't play *Edited out* (which came out in January) on anything past medium without dropping to 10-20 fps.
EDIT: I just tried the game on my laptop which has an i7 740, GTX 460M and 8GB DDR3 1333 RAM and it can barely even be played on medium. It needed to be on low to keep an average of 30+ fps.

Hp? You really shouldn't get one of those. Go Sony instead, you can get a decent spec Vaio for £500 which should equate to $600 USD.

I agree. I don't know why but I've never liked HP. I also vote for Sony if you want a laptop for around $600.

Last edited:

Chubbs

Err, you be trollin'?

No way that thats right, unless you have somehow managed to overheat the entire thing and bypass the emergency shutoffs forcing it to go into power save. And I am sure my desktop is deckout with a Asus 460 GTX, a 2.6 GHZ dual core and 2 Gigs of RAM that you would have to pay me take away from you; yet it still runs BC2, MW2 and any other game you care to mention on high at ~30 fps.

Also I would appreciate a link to this game to find out why it is causing fails of epic proportions.

SkittyOnWailord

☣ⓈⓀⒾⓉⓉⓎⓄⓃⓌⒶⒾⓁⓄⓇⒹ☣
Err, you be trollin'?

Fun tip. Mods don't troll.

No way that thats right, unless you have somehow managed to overheat the entire thing and bypass the emergency shutoffs forcing it to go into power save. And I am sure my desktop is deckout with a Asus 460 GTX, a 2.6 GHZ dual core and 2 Gigs of RAM that you would have to pay me take away from you; yet it still runs BC2, MW2 and any other game you care to mention on high at ~30 fps.

I'm not sure about right now, but as of a few months ago *Edited out* was the most demanding PC game on the market. It says on the box that its recomended CPU is an i7 of some kind. You remember when Crysis first came out and basicly noone could max it? Same thing with this game.
And I haven't played the full version of Crysis but my desktop can max everything on the demo without any temp problems at all and the CPU not going above around 40%, so it's not my desktop's problem. Very high/maxing Crysis is a walk in the park compaired to playing this game.

Also I would appreciate a link to this game to find out why it is causing fails of epic proportions.

I'm not going to post a link to it on here. It's not a ToU friendly game if you catch my drift. And I'm not sure if "fail" is a correct term here, not for the game anyway. Judging by the specs you gave of your PC and what the recomended requirements of the game are, you might be able to play it on low settings with 10-20 FPS if you're lucky.

Last edited:

Chubbs

Ah, k. Though it would probably run fine on an ATI machine, as it is most likely a driver issue. And I will find a way to max the thing, as I have yet to not be able to max something. Also: you can Pm me a link, or do it through email or whatever.

SkittyOnWailord

☣ⓈⓀⒾⓉⓉⓎⓄⓃⓌⒶⒾⓁⓄⓇⒹ☣
Ah, k. Though it would probably run fine on an ATI machine, as it is most likely a driver issue.

Actually it's optimised for Intel and nVidea according to its site. Because of that I don't think ATI would have any better results.

Chubbs

Really? Optimisation is a tricky thing to accomplish. Oh, and are there huge amounts of particle fx on the screen all the time, or something, as if its just using monumentally high-poly models then it was not optimmised at all, as it is much simpler to bake normals down off a highpoly onto a lowpoly, making it much easier to run as you can reduce the amount of polies by huge numbers without any noticable difference in the visuals if you use properly baked normals combined with normals generated from a height map.

TL;DR: It was fairly badly optimised if that is the case.

Nutter t.KK

can Mega Evolve!
Skitty.. Woah.. That's not a game for this site! (I think it's CERO Z, (ESRB (M or) AO- Not actually rated in USA)) I can see why it needs it though.. Seriously, Face tracking and skin simulation with Liquid being sprayed, and soft lighting, aren't easy on the processors. (I don't have the game, but played games by that company.. and know what it's like.)

Chubbs: I think you may have scared Surfing Pikachu off!

Surfing Pikachu: What are you planning to with it? I usually go along those lines and work it out from there.

SkittyOnWailord

☣ⓈⓀⒾⓉⓉⓎⓄⓃⓌⒶⒾⓁⓄⓇⒹ☣
Skitty.. Woah.. That's not a game for this site! (I think it's CERO Z, (ESRB (M or) AO- Not actually rated in USA)) I can see why it needs it though.. Seriously, Face tracking and skin simulation with Liquid being sprayed, and soft lighting, aren't easy on the processors. (I don't have the game, but played games by that company.. and know what it's like.)

Which is why I'm not linking to its site even though Chubbs asked me to. Though I do think I'll go back and edit out its name from the posts. The only reason I mentioned it is because it's the most hardware demanding PC out right now. It's kind of hard to avoid a PC game when it's pretty much the best example for what extreeme PCs need to be to max games. Just as Crysis was mentioned for so long just because of its requirements and not the actual gameplay. And actually its box doesn't have a rating on it, but I agree that it would either be Cero Z or AO.

Surfing Pikachu: What are you planning to with it? I usually go along those lines and work it out from there.

Yes, we did kind of got off-topic. So we'll just wait for Surfing Pikachu to return. :)

Last edited:

Surfing_Pikachu

I'm not going to be doing any high-end gaming with it, as in the recent stuff like Bad Company 2. I'd just use it for semi-old games like Cube and Halo Custom Edition. The biggest thing I'm looking for is reliability, 4 years minimum.

Chubbs

Ok, lappy or desktop? You haven't actually told us.

Nutter t.KK

can Mega Evolve!
Ok, lappy or desktop? You haven't actually told us.
He did!

So, I've been a Mac guy for my entire life and am going to give Windows a try. I'm thinking of a Laptop that runs the newest OS possible (not sure if all of them come preloaded with Windows 7 now or not) and preferably under $600. I'm completely new to this foreign market of Windows computers, and if anyone could steer me in the right direction of what brands or models have the most quality that would be great.

(This does go in the Tech Help Board, right?)
He is thinking of looking for Laptop.

Chubbs

It didn't sound like that. But oh well, I guess that he did then. Anyway, you should be looking to get a Vaio of some description, the custom ones are good and reliable and they come with a choice of pattern on the lid and you can get them engraved.

laxiboyce

With technology evolving, it is easy to fall behind by hanging on the old desktop or laptop for too long. But when is it time to buy a new computer, and when you can just update your old one? Hopefully these tips will help you decide what is best for your situation.

laxiboyce

With technology evolving, it is easy to fall behind by hanging on the old desktop or laptop for too long. But when is it time to buy a new computer, and when you can just update your old one? Hopefully these tips will help you decide what is best for your situation.

laxiboyce

laxiboyce