• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Time to redo the HM system?

Indragon

Back in the USSR
At least in the 4th gen, the only slightly annoying part of HMs was that in Victory Road, you couldn't take your E4 team through it in full force, you'd either need an HM slave or had to teach those strong Pokemon a few pointless attacks.

MetalFlygon08

Haters Gonna Hate
yeahwasting move slots, which you can easily remedy with the move deleter in Canalave, use move slots for HM's, get to luege, fly to Canalave, delete HM's catch a Starly teach it Fly, go back to leuge, look your HM problems solved.

jshizzlex6661

Sick Of Natures
yeahwasting move slots, which you can easily remedy with the move deleter in Canalave, use move slots for HM's, get to luege, fly to Canalave, delete HM's catch a Starly teach it Fly, go back to leuge, look your HM problems solved.

Then spend hours finding enough Heart Scales to get your moves back. WHAT A TIME SAVER! Idiot.

No. I mean, some HMs are of no use IMO (DeFog, and Previously Flash) but others can be used (Surf, Fly etc.). Plus Pokemon is an RPG and this adds Strategy to the game. I wouldn't mind if Rock Smash was stronger though...

It would be useful for some people, but I think it makes the games more challenging and more fun.

But how would it work?

I just use one HM slave. In victory road, I sometimes have to deposit ONE pokemon. But I deal with it.

Noctourniquet

∆∆∆
^ This. Besides, if you are training your team evenly, then maybe two Pokémon throughout the whole team being deposited is not a big deal. It wasn't for me, anyway. I always found HMs annoying, but I never considered removing them.

MetalFlygon08

Haters Gonna Hate
Then spend hours finding enough Heart Scales to get your moves back. WHAT A TIME SAVER! Idiot.

IIRC TMs don't exist, mabye you should research your facts before you go about calling folks idiots, especially those who know what their talking about around here.

and don't throw the bull out that you wasted the TM earlier, that's your fualt for not managing your resources, and if you can't find heart scales easily, you only need 8 at max, you fail at digging.

*inb4thispersonargueswithyouknowwho*

Nitro123 (PG)

Needs a user title
There are too many Water type/Normal type HM's. Other than that, HM's are okay. But I hate 'em too. Dive and Waterfall are the same move, except Dive is a Water typed Fly. Also, in HG/SS, WHIRLPOOL is going to be an HM. NO! Crappy moves like Rock Smash and Cut are bad enough, but NOT WHIRLPOOL! And I really hate how you have to go to the Move Deleter to forget them. If it wasn't for that part, I wouldn't mind HMs so much...

Nee

Snoo Pingas Usual
I certainly dont have a problem with the HM system. If anything they could make the Move Deleter available a little more early on...

shamwowsavedme

chek dis ancient ***
i kud nevr quite understand how dynamic punch, which is much stronger then rock smash, can't break boulders...i mean rock smash only has like 50 power, it shud atleast be 80 so i can use a move other then brick break all the time

DarkMammoth

Lover of silly memes

Dude, I've only been in the underground a few times, and I have over 100 heart scales.

Edit: And I didn't spend much time down there either.

bugman03

I'm pretty happy as is. If you had asked me a couple of years ago when they first messed up surf I'd have said scrap em. But time heals a wounded soul.

Cain Nightroad

Daydreaming
I really missed Dive, since I used it to avoid battles while surfing that route south of Mossdeep.

I'm surprised that they let Dive go, especially with the improved graphics. Some HMs, such as Dive, were definitely used more in the field than during in-game battles. Dive let us have a whole new perspective and the underwater areas would have been great with the new graphics.

Defog seems like it would be more appealing to use than Flash, as fog could showcase the new graphics better than just the darkness that was needed for Flash.

If anything they could make the Move Deleter available a little more early on...

Most of the earlier areas, however, are ones that you'll probably use a lot of the HMs during battle in. You don't really need to replace most of the HMs until you reach the later, more difficult battles.

Grei

not the color
I feel like a Field move would work out well. Most Flying-Pokemon are able to Fly you to destinations, water pokemon will be able to get you across water and up waterfalls, etc. I don't see the problem with that--to make up for the lack of being able to cover all of the HMs with a team of six, maybe you could also teach HMs.

Like, say you need to cut down a tree, but all you have with you is a Totodile with you. Naturally, it can Surf you across water, but if you teach it the HM Cut, it will be able to Surf you places and cut trees down.

I'd like that more than wasting slots on moves just to get you places. The obstacles are a good idea, but the HM's aren't too desirable IMO.

Maybe, in order for a Pokemon to be able to use a Field Move, you'd need a certain badge. Like, each Badge has a special property that unlocks a Pokemon's field move.

Indragon

Back in the USSR

Well, not really, I'd rather not delete my Pokemon's moves and get them back with Heart Scales later on when I they can be more useful apart from that :/

meh, I use Geodude. Like I said, it's just a mild hindrance to deposit one of my Pokemon, I won't be filling them with HMs when I can just use the slave

*Storm*

Piplup Breeder
I like HM moves. Surf is powerful, and I use cut when I am trying to catch a wild pokemon. My HM slave is not my most powerful pokemon, but he still has some good moves!