• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Tip Jar

Caithyra

Hi, I'm Caithyra and while I have not posted anything on Serebii, I have an FF.Net account. I'm a very lurker-type reader, and one of my hobbies is to read and share writing tips, and I thought to start a thread for it.

Basically, everyone writes down their greatest writing tips, whether or not they're asked for, though one can also ask for a special type of tip.

Here's some of my tips:

Take a second look at canon and fanon. Fandom is often accused for seeing what's not there, and to a certain extent it's true. In fact, some fanon conventions are treated as canon. In Inuyasha, it's that youkai call each other mate and leave mating marks, even when their corresponding animals and legends do not. In Pokémon, it's that all trainers start their journey at age 10, even though only Ash in the anime states that he leaves at 10, while in RBY Red starts at 11, in the manga, Platinum starts at 13, and in Colosseum/XD/Emerald (can't remember which) an adult character contemplates going on a journey. Then there's the fact that in the games, characters of different ages (from elderly to youngster) seems to be at the same point in their journeys.

And, well, Liza and Tate are clearly younger than May and Brendan, yet they have reached a point when they're gym leaders, suggesting that the 10-13 bracket isn't as set in stone as fanon say. So really, don't let yourself be confined to fanon rules and regulations.

Don't be scared of the Big Bad Mary Sue. Mary Sue is the Big Bad Wolf of fan fiction. Readers looooove to Cry Wolf at slightest rustle in the bushes, because they've been told that there's wolves in the wood. Tales are told about the Big Bad Wolf as villains to be killed off. Mobs with fire and pitchforks rushes out into the woods to courageously stab the creature into submission.

Yet, just like the Big Bad Wolf doesn't exist anywhere but in our imagination and fairytales, the Big Bad Mary Sue does not as well. Of course, there are wolves, and they have been known from time to time to kill humans and domesticated animals, but you don't need mobs, fire and pitchforks to deal with it. Either create a space where it can live freely (a separate fan fiction archive, for example), or painlessly kill it with a well-placed bullet (constructive criticism. That also points out good parts of the character to be salvaged and fed to new, more rounded characters).

Though I personally tend to liken Mary Sues to Black Holes, as Mary Sue is such a gendered term, that the character only needs to be original and female to be labelled a Mary Sue (don't believe me? A few months back, there was a lively discussion in Meta Fandom on this, google it if you want to. Also, all this Suethor prosecution have been likened to internet bullying, when people only pile on the negative, never thinking that behind the story, there's an author who is a real person).

Anyway, don't be scared of Black Holes, because they happen even to the most brilliant of galaxies. Besides, if you worry too much about your character being a Mary Sue, usually one of these things happen:
Writer's Block. A major case of Writer's Block because you worry about the little things too much to get the whole picture.

Anti-Sue. You have piled on so many negatives that no one, not even you or the reader, wants to give the character any time of day. Your Sue isn't just physically unattractive, but has such an odious personality that the only story in which the character would be tolerated, is in a story in which the character is bashed or hated on continuously. If not, the reader wonder why the heck they're supposed to root for such a bleeping idiot.

Non-Character. Your character is the equivalent of the grey colour; what happens when you mix a little bit of every colour into one dreary colour. Stubborn enough, but not too much. Nice enough, but not too much. Clumsy enough, but not too much. Has a sad past, but not too sad. Has a happy family, but not too happy. Yawning yet? There's little to no reason why there's a story about a character so dull, it makes spoons look sharp. There's just nothing defined about this character, nothing extraordinary, nothing interesting.​
So, don't worry too much about them. If need be, you can always go back and assign some action to another character if you feel that it's too much on one character's shoulders.

Sometimes the obvious choice is the right one. Remember the phrase "it's never that easy"?, well, sometimes it is. If you're going to rob someone, check to see if the front door is unlocked before you climb to the second story window, pick its lock and then diffuse the alarm while hanging upside-down.

In the same way, sometimes it's better to let a story take an obvious course rather than do a plot twist, because if you're too invested in surprising your readers, you will end up with an unbelievable series of events.

It also destroys your readers' sense of anticipation, because if they cannot sometimes predict a series of events, then the story wont keep together in their minds.

So let feel the satisfaction of being right for once. And in the same spirit...

Foreshadow major events. It keeps things from becoming too unbelievable. If your story contains a near-apocalypse by the use of Arceus' plates, then show early on that the plates are dangerous in some way (high energy laboratory readers, or why not just blow up the lab and its surroundings?).

If your character wont go down that road. Don't force them. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink. The same is true for character and interactions. If your character is impatient and go-getting with little regard for authority, then they will most likely lose patience with Volkner's boredom and blow up at him, telling him that if he's so bleeping bored, why don't he just quit being a gym leader then and there, and let someone who likes being a gym leader try it. Your character would not silently support his lukewarm personality, no matter how much you need them to for plot-reasons.

Which leads to the next tip...

The story is either plot or character driven. Decide this in the first paragraph. Agatha Christie wrote wonderful, plot-driven stories with colourful characters. Sure, the crimes were often of the crime passionel type, but her stories were plot-driven at the core. And one reason why they were wonderful, was because of the characters, despite the fact that the characters never developed much.

No, Hercule Poirot is always that brilliant, pedantic drama queen. Hastings is always the average British man. The narcissistic, capricious actress is always narcissistic and capricious, from the day that she laughingly invites Poirot to supper, to the last letter before her execution ("P.S. Do you think they will put me in Madame Tussauds?").

The story does not develop with the characters. The story develops as we learn more about the characters and their actions. The characters supremely stay the same, not matter what, but the way we view them changes (read Death on the Nile twice, and you'll have a completely different view on the victim).

By contrast, character-driven stories develop in time with characters. New plots and twists become open as the character is mature enough to go to those places.

And on characters...

Have a colourful cast of characters. Even in plot-centric stories, there should be good chemistry, and you wont get good chemistry if all the characters are the same.

Which leads me to point something out to readers:

Character's values and morals=/=Author's values and morals. Even if the author have a racist, classist and sexist character doesn't mean that the author is racist, classist and sexist. You see, unless the story keeps proving the bad character right (heroic characters agree, the story ends with the bad character winning and so on), chances are that the author thinks that the character is spewing exactly as much crap as you do.

Even if the hero is sexist, they are often proved wrong (Sherlock Holmes is sexist, but was bested by Irene Adler, not that it did much to change his views, because like a real sexist, he viewed it as a fluke.).

Watch Disney's Mulan. Despite having tons of sexist characters, in the end, Mulan still showed that she was just as good as the guys, if not better because she didn't have a one-track mind. Sure, the overall message of the movie has some problematic blemishes, but you can't deny that the guys keeping women, and therefore Mulan, from the army were wrong, and that they're lucky that Mulan didn't listen.

Which means that when you notice a blatantly bigoted character in a story, and the story does not prove said character right, chances are that said character is there to provide either realism or flavour.

Things happened before once upon a time. One of the problems with writing is to know where to start, and unless you start at the beginning of the universe, things probably happened before the start of your story.

Characters had other friends. Characters had family. Characters lived somewhere else. Not just that, but things happened before the start of the story to your hero! Even if the story starts at the hero's birth, the hero's parents probably has some foundation to add.

More writers should make use of this opportunity, because it's seriously rare for a childhood friend who did not follow the character on a journey to contribute to the story.

If you want to write it. Write it. There will always be people who dislike your work, some with valid concerns, and some who wants to force you to do work that they like. If you want to do eevee-starter, do it. If you want to do whatever, do it. If you worry too much about readers and reviews, you'll just feel hampered as you write.

Originality isn't all what it's cracked up to be. I have a story that I've been told is very original for its type. It surprised me, because I had simply looked at canon, found a few things and decided to run with it. To me, it was an obvious story to be told, and I'm pretty sure that there's at least three or four or more out there like it. But then again, many writers of that story-type have focused a long time at one aspect of canon, so perhaps there was a lot of canon left unexplored.

So in the end, it's not an original story, it just feel fresh to the readers. And it's a very important difference there.

If I wanted to write a completely original story, it would be about Amaryl (Winx Club, extremely minor character) going on a pokémon journey in Spira (Final Fantasy X/-2) with her starter Mogu (Fancy Lala, one of two mascots). What do they have in common? Transformation sequences and songs, but, well, not much else.

Would such a story be good? I don't know, but it certainly would break a lot of suspension of disbelief.

A fresh story is simply something that's been told before, yet it grabs the reader and makes the reader feel like the story is original. If you read Final Fantasy VII fan fiction, maybe you've read 'Sink to the Bottom With You' and 'Faith and Feather', both which focus on the same characters, both which have similar flavour, both which have many of the same readers, yet they both feels fresh when you read them, because they take your imagination and runs with it.

And that's really what many reviewers mean when they speak about originality. It doesn't have to be original, all it has to be is a good story.

There's not one true way to write. It's true. When I was starting out, I was told that if I start a chaptered story, I should stick with it, through thick and thin, until it was finished. Never to touch another before that one is done.

Unfortunately, my imagination isn't monogamous by any stretch of itself. Soon I developed Writer's Block after Writer's Block, as the story I currently worked on became complacent in my mind (after all, I was paying attention to it) while others started to jump up and down and trying to get my attention.

"No!" I said to them. "I'm doing Story A, now!"

And Story A, who was content with the way things were, didn't even try to get my attention, causing a tumult to break out, in which it was pushed to the back of the story crowd.

And thus, with multiple stories clamouring over me in search for attention, I'm unable to find and work with Story A.

So I learnt to simply write whichever story is at the front-line. Then my computer broke down, sent for repair, and got back. And stupidly enough, I read a writer's guide that said that I had to pay attention to my present stories, and not write new ones.

Back to the drawing board. *Sigh*

But then, many others have benefited from using the approach that failed me, which means that what works for one writer, doesn't necessarily work for all.

And those are my best writing tips. Any contributions would be great!

Also, I hope this doesn't break any forum rules (I checked, and I think I'm in the clear, confirmation would be nice).

IJuggler

how much words
These are very useful tips. To relate to the last one, I was busy writing out some more plot to my favourite story when I was struck by a plot bunny. Instead of pushing it back for later, I wrote the 500-word idea down into a snippet. I doubt I'll ever want to write it again, and no one will ever see it, but I felt better after finishing it.

My only, hesitant tip is to not worry too much about describing things in the beginning. Sure, describe the pathway to Professor Tree's house, but don't give a full-out list of your characters attributes and looks. I hesitate to say this because doing either extreme is bad, and description is a wide topic.

Mrs. Lovett

Rolling writer
I'd like to add something. This works for me, but who knows, maybe it'll work for someone else...

When I'm writing a fanfiction, or any story at all, it helps to have a second project in the works at the same time. That way if I ever get bored of Project 1, or if it has a heavy theme that I just need a break from every once in a while, it helps to have a second, lighter thing to work on. While I'm working on Project 2, I might get inspiration for Project 1, and so on. The alternation keeps my mind fresh, so I approach a story with interest every time.

I also like your take on the Mary Sue issue. You shouldn't worry about it in the first draft. Just finish your story, as long as it feels right. But when you're revising it, you should keep an eye out for any unrealistic traits. Take out anything that's not vital to the story. If you can't take things away from your character without destroying the story or the message you want to get across, then find a way to make it work.

SerenadeSP

My Loyal Feraligatr
I completely agree with all of this, especially the points about characters and originality. I'd like to add something too.

Just because an idea doesn't work at the time doesn't mean it's a bad idea
If you have an idea for a story but later decide it doesn't connect with the story very well take it out, but keep it in the back of your head. One day you may find that it works perfectly well with another story. Also this idea may spark other ideas for other stories, or even your current story, later on.

Caithyra

On the description thing there's an easy test: Do you have to go out of your way to describe something? If so, don't. Basically, this is all those mirror scenes when the protagonist is staring at themselves despite not having anything special on that day. I mean, compare this:

Emma stood in front of the mirror, eyes trailing from the top of her flaxen head, to her wide, violet eyes, to a rosebud mouth. Her clothes, in purple and pink tones, brought out her figure and gave her hips she didn't have, while at the same time accentuating her smooth, peachy skin.​

To this:
Emma, in disgust to her mirror image, threw off the hot pink outfit. It made her normally peachy skin look green! No, it would have to be pale pink and purple --to match her eyes, instead, she decided.​

Or this:

She squinted at the mirror, hardly recognising the face staring back at her. Dust coloured her flaxen hair orange, and large bruises and swelling discoloured her normally peachy skin. Her eyes had almost swollen shut, bloodshot red instead of violet. Her outfit, an expensive affair of purple and pink, was in similar disarray of dirt, blood and rips.​

Even the best of those is almost too much, but one of them is incredibly passive and boring. At least with the second one, Emma is active, and in the third one, the readers wonder what on earth happened to put her in such a state.

Ideally, the description should fit as smoothly into the flow of the story as every other action. It's almost like a beaded necklace: It should be stringed together with the other beads, and be the same shape, size and colour. When the reader reads the story, they should have a hard time picking out a distinct scene of exposure, instead they should go "Maybe this scene, no, that was the battle with Falkner, but it really made me see an image of growlithe! Though, even so, it's more battling and suspenseful than a description scene.".

Chibi_Muffin

Smart Cookie
^ To add to that, put in description, but only the basic stuff.

In stories, it's a good idea to have hair, skin and maybe eye colour put clearly in the story, because then your readers will have a clear idea about what your characters look like. As said above, don't overdo it.

It's okay to have lots of characters, but not all of them can be mains.

I sometimes think that my story is missing something if a character I like isn't in there. You can have as many characters as you like - it's your story, isn't it? But limit who can be the main characters - I'd recommend seven at the most. Or, if you prefer, make a group of small stories that tie together. However, try and give each character you want a chance - even if it's just a small conversation.

Create believeable settings.

If it's a city, make it hard to get around at times. If it's a cave, make parts of it flooded. If it's a forest, make it large. You get the idea.

Keep your character's personality in mind.

Make sure you know what your character might do in a situation, not what a 'hero' would do. The spoilt rich girl wouldn't like trudging through a swamp to get her Marill, would she? ;]

Don't knock out backstories your readers would like to know.

If someone has a reason for doing something, show it! If you don't, it makes the story confusing and leaves readers frustrated.

Not everyone is perfect.

In other words, give your characters geniune faults. Stuff like 'she's too pretty' won't work. Things like 'he's so nice, that he's a total doormat' might. Make them play a small role in the story, too. As for the baddies, give them redeeming features - for example, the corrupt businessman who brainwashes his employees might donate to charity once in a while.

Make it clear what's happening.

If someone's saying something, make it clear who. If someone's attacking, say how. If they are somewhere, say where!

If someone looks competent, make them!

It's not only the hero who can do certain things. Make the police, other heroes, or hey, even normal people put up a fight sometimes! It makes it look believable, as it shows that the hero isn't all important.

When you're writing fan fiction, remember what you're writing about!

In other words, if you're writing a Pokémon story, include some Pokémon training and battling! If you ignore the fundamentals of the series, it has serious impact on your story. Vice versa - if it's nearly identical to the source, it can feel like a rip off.

And finally...

Don't write a story you won't like.

Otherwise it won't be fun. =P That's the point of writing. Say horror's really popular, but you'd rather do comedy? Do comedy. Then you feel like putting more effort into it, and it turns out better. It can be refreshing too!

Sorry if it was long winded. Hope it helps though.

Caithyra

When it comes to character description, I have another thing to add: Sometimes, a character's most prominent visual cue isn't their eye or hair colour. Sometimes the character's most defining physical trait is a crazy hairstyle, a body like a vaudeville strongman, a hunched back, gnarled joints or a prominent birthmark or scar.

When one economizes description, it could help to visualize the character, or a draw a picture of them, and then point out the most obvious and prominent features instead of something less prominent such as eye colour.

Take Lance for example; the fact that his hair stands straight up and that he has a cape is more likely to register in one's mind than his eye colour. In Lyra, it's the over-sized hat and the pigtails that draw attention. In Silver it's his bright red hair colour in contrast to his dark clothes. In Crasher Wake it's the mask, and his large build.

That way you can vary the way you describe characters, making the descriptions less monotonous and repetitive.

Elemental Charizam

Sudden Genre Shift
Most people don't care.

Very few things are going to get everyone's attention - unless you literally and unequivocally save the world (and have a good PR team) most people simply won't care. This applies to pretty much anything. If your character is incredibly beautiful, they'll turn some heads, yeah - but most people will bustle on by.

Not everyone will agree you're great.

One of the major problems with a lot of new authors is that they write transparent wish fulfillment; the mary sue's calling card isn't a bloated list of heroic deeds or an aura of seething power, it's the way they warp reality so that, save for the odd character who's 'just jealous', everyone adores them. No one has exactly the same criteria for perfection, so even if your character were somehow to meet them for one character they'd be flawed for a dozen others. Don't have one character distort the others to accommodate themselves.

Don't think in lists of traits.

A character has to make sense as a coherent entity. Picking and choosing from a list of flaws and virtues is not a good way to achieve this. It is, in fact, a very bad way.

Don't proselytize.

Unless you want only to appeal to a group of people that think as you do, and are insecure enough about it to crave assurance from fiction, it's probably best to skip the Rand-style tract. There's nothing wrong with having a moral, but ranting is generally considered poor form.

As a side note, if you have to distort reality to deliver your moral, maybe that says something about its quality.

As another, more lengthy side note, I would disagree strongly that having a side 'win' vindicates them. I mean, yes, fiction takes liberties with reality - you're not allowed anywhere near as much random chance if you want a narrative most people'll call satisfying, for a start - but the might-makes-right sentiment inherent in seeing things this way is a little much.

Conflict is key.

Whatever kind of story you're writing, you're going to need some sort of conflict, whether it's military, political or social or a mix. Without it, your story will be very, very dull.

The problem with immensely powerful characters is that it's very hard to create challenges for them. If your characters breeze through everything, their accomplishments have no real meaning and the story's left rather boring. This is more of a problem in action oriented stories than otherwise - if your character isn't facing martial challenges then their strength may be useless. If you do want, for some reason, a hideously powerful character in an action oriented book, you're going to have to give them equally powerful opponents. The only problem with this route is that the implications of such a scenario, whereby a handful of people have absolute rather than coercive control (that type's not that great either, of course) over vast multitudes, are rather horrific if you stop to think about it. Maybe you're down with that, I don't know.

Unpredictability comes from being unpredictable.

Willful suspension of disbelief can only get you so far; if you want to create a lot of tension around something the reader has to believe that you might actually go with the "bad" ending. If you never kill main characters, don't expect your readers to feel undue fear when you put them in danger. You can compensate for this with writing to a degree, but it's never the same.

Lots of description is unnecessary.

If a character's appearance isn't important, or if you have a reason not to tell us, it's fine not to tell us how they look. It's not a big deal if you do, so long as you don't describe every minor character in great detail, but few stories suffer for excluding it.

Also, unless moving from one place to another is a scene where something important - in terms of plot, character, etc - happens, you can describe it in a sentence or two. It's fine, no one cares.

Reading and writing are the best ways to improve.

Caithyra

A long story is usually several stories tied together. What I mean is that there's Plot A, plot B, plot C and so on.

Plot A covers the entire story, prologue to epilogue.
Example: Alice wants to be a pokémon champion and enters the pokémon league.

Plot B overlaps with A and covers most, but not all of the story. It keeps the protagonist going when the A plot needs some downtime.
Example: Alice must fight Team Evil in order to continue her pokémon journey, and defeat them before going against the Elite.

C-plots are various long parts of the story, but shorter than the B plot. It could sometimes be considered arcs (such as the tournament arcs of different shounen series).
Examples: Alice runs an errand for Professor Tree, and in the meantime must save pokémon from a fire, thus bonding with her own pokémon.

Alice helps archaeologists in the Ruins of Alph capture all the different unown, in a competition with her rival, and in the end, they unlock a new room revealing a new part of a legend.

Alice cannot win against Erika with her vulpix, and must train/evolve vulpix after a lot of philosophical debate. Then Alice wins.

D-plots are plots that tie several chapters together, yet not in the overarching way of C-plots.
Example:
C-plot: Alice and Erika have a battle. Alice loses despite type advantage.
D-plot: Alice and vulpix searches out a legendary fire breather and makes him take them as students.
B/D-plot: Team Evil tries to take advantage of fire breather's teachings, Alice and vulpix must stop them.
D-plot: Alice and vulpix have proven themselves to the fire breather and receives a fire stone. Vulpix evolves.
C-plot: Alice defeats Erika with ninetales.​

Basically, D-plots are mini-arcs. So the above C-plot would be the Rainbow Badge arc, which contains the Vulpix evolves mini-arc, with a short glimpse of the Team Evil conflict.

Then there's E-plots, and they're usually chapter by chapter. Lets use the above example again.
D-plot: Alice and vulpix searches out a legendary fire breather and makes him take them as students.
E-plot: Vulpix refuses to listen to Alice due to their bad performance at the gym.
B/D-plot: Team Evil tries to take advantage of fire breather's teachings, Alice and vulpix must stop them.
E-plot: Vulpix listens to Alice after vulpix realises that Alice works hard on improving.
D-plot: Alice and vulpix have proven themselves to the fire breather and receives a fire stone. Vulpix evolves.
C-plot: Alice defeats Erika with ninetales.​

Basically, an E-plot is brought up and resolved within one or two chapters. They're pretty episodic in nature.

If we were to take the full example, we would have this:

A-plot: Alice is going on her pokémon journey to become a champion.
B-plot: Team Evil wants to rule the world with pokémon. And Alice must stop them.
E-plot: Vulpix refuses to listen to Alice due to their bad performance at the gym.
E-plot: Vulpix listens to Alice after vulpix realises that Alice works hard on improving.
C-plot: Alice defeats Erika with ninetales.
B-plot: Alice defeats Team Evil.
A-plot: Alice becomes pokémon champion.​

Also, each chapter should have a story within itself, taking the Alice vs Erika battle in the beginning for example:

Exposition: Alice trains vulpix and vulpix learns Flamethrower.
Point of no Return: Alice arrives at Celadon Gym.
Rising Action: Alice and vulpix battles their way through the Celadon Gym. It's a struggle, but they manage.
Climax: Alice and vulpix battles Erika with confidence.
Falling Action: Alice and vulpix starts to lose. They never counted on poisons playing such a big part. They lose completely.
Denouement: Alice realises that they underestimated Erika because of type advantage and resolves to train harder.​

Basically, while we know that there's more coming, we see the protagonist prepare, do, and feel the consequences of their actions within the same chapter. The next chapter would start by illustrating vulpix's mistrust in her trainer, setting up that plot. And ending with vulpix finally listening to Alice's orders.

Conversely, chapters which are only rising action creates a sense of urgency. If we spend two chapters exploring Team Evil's base, then the reader will feel hurried to get to the climax, when Team Evil's boss will battle Alice, and the falling action which will put Alice in a less dangerous situation (either in safety outside the base, or in a cell to be dealt with later).

Prologues and epilogues are a bit trickier. Prologues are exposition by nature. But might also contain points of no return and rising action. They generally do not contain the latter stages of a story structure, not even when alluding that the events have already happened, because their purpose is to drum up interest and inform of things that the regular narrative cannot (such as looking back at something, an realising that it's the other way around).

Epilogues are the opposite of prologues, they are usually made up of falling action and/or denouement. Basically, it shows us where the world is headed after the end of the story.

Final Fantasy X-2 have a good example in several of its endings. In one, Yuna resolves to go on without Tidus, having carved her own place in the world. In another, Tidus is brought back to life, reuniting with a changed Yuna and the rest of Besaid. In the failed ending, the world just ends.

Then there's Last Mission, which functions as a real epilogue, confirming that Yuna is happy with Tidus in Besaid, that Rikku is going all around the world as a sphere hunter and Paine is an explorer of the world, yet that they'll all be together.

The epilogue therefore usually showcases the fruits of the protagonist's efforts, which is also shown at the end of Code Geass R2.

Dilasc

Boip!
Talk to Yourself: No, I'm not joking. If you need to make some dialogue and don't think it sounds right, try saying it aloud. If it doesn't sound right, it probably won't read right either.

Converse if you have to! You cannot believe how many bad paragraphs I've avoided from it, and how many bad forms of dialogue I've developed frlom forgetting.

Just remember to get into their mindset or everyone's just going to sound the same.

Yamato-san

I own the 5th gen
Don't be scared of the Big Bad Mary Sue. Mary Sue is the Big Bad Wolf of fan fiction. Readers looooove to Cry Wolf at slightest rustle in the bushes, because they've been told that there's wolves in the wood. Tales are told about the Big Bad Wolf as villains to be killed off. Mobs with fire and pitchforks rushes out into the woods to courageously stab the creature into submission.

Yet, just like the Big Bad Wolf doesn't exist anywhere but in our imagination and fairytales, the Big Bad Mary Sue does not as well. Of course, there are wolves, and they have been known from time to time to kill humans and domesticated animals, but you don't need mobs, fire and pitchforks to deal with it. Either create a space where it can live freely (a separate fan fiction archive, for example), or painlessly kill it with a well-placed bullet (constructive criticism. That also points out good parts of the character to be salvaged and fed to new, more rounded characters).

Though I personally tend to liken Mary Sues to Black Holes, as Mary Sue is such a gendered term, that the character only needs to be original and female to be labelled a Mary Sue (don't believe me? A few months back, there was a lively discussion in Meta Fandom on this, google it if you want to. Also, all this Suethor prosecution have been likened to internet bullying, when people only pile on the negative, never thinking that behind the story, there's an author who is a real person).

Anyway, don't be scared of Black Holes, because they happen even to the most brilliant of galaxies. Besides, if you worry too much about your character being a Mary Sue, usually one of these things happen:
Writer's Block. A major case of Writer's Block because you worry about the little things too much to get the whole picture.

Anti-Sue. You have piled on so many negatives that no one, not even you or the reader, wants to give the character any time of day. Your Sue isn't just physically unattractive, but has such an odious personality that the only story in which the character would be tolerated, is in a story in which the character is bashed or hated on continuously. If not, the reader wonder why the heck they're supposed to root for such a bleeping idiot.

Non-Character. Your character is the equivalent of the grey colour; what happens when you mix a little bit of every colour into one dreary colour. Stubborn enough, but not too much. Nice enough, but not too much. Clumsy enough, but not too much. Has a sad past, but not too sad. Has a happy family, but not too happy. Yawning yet? There's little to no reason why there's a story about a character so dull, it makes spoons look sharp. There's just nothing defined about this character, nothing extraordinary, nothing interesting.​
So, don't worry too much about them. If need be, you can always go back and assign some action to another character if you feel that it's too much on one character's shoulders.

it might also be worth a mention that some Sues (as they could arguably be considered) actually manage to work with their story.