• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Tips and Tricks - What do you do to make your games easier?

muffinz

oh nooooooooo
I always use an 'annoyer' Pokémon in my games, such as my Watchog in White. They serve to whittle down the opponent, before bringing them into catching range. Watchog wiped out Ghetsis's Hydreigon in this way, as a matter of fact. His attacks were Confuse Ray/Hypnosis/Sand Attack/Super Fang, and he was basically untouchable. Other annoyers I've used included Ninetales on SS, Bronzong in Platinum, and Clefable in Diamond.

I do exactly the same thing! Usually, at least. A good example would be my Swoobat in Black-- she had Thunder Wave, Attract, Psychic, and Air Slash. Actually, my "annoyer", as you put it, tends to be the the most, er, lacking member of my team when it comes to stats. I use this strategy so that they can still keep up with my other team members in terms of usefulness.

ALSO

I try to make sure all my Pokèmon are no more than three levels apart at any time. (not counting just-caught ones) It can be a little annoying to make sure the slow-leveling ones keep up(oh my goodness Cranidos is a pain to train), but it's worth it.

3lmi

pimping aint easy
I usually do a F/W/G core ... always evolve my pokemon before the First Gym Leader, always grind in the bushes, always check out the Gym Leader moves online so I can know what to expect. Usually go heavy offensive with one wall/annoyer.

The Red Thunder

Backwards thinking?
I stumbled across this one the other day. While Audino grinding, Focus Punch makes for an excellent move to use, because most of the time it won't flinch you. If you're using a Ghost Pokemon, you can use it freely without worring one bit about being flinched.

ConfusedEevee

Time Gear Thief
i have 1 very useful piece of advice 4 people trying to level up their pokemon fast in the 5th gen:

1) get the luck egg from professor juniper
2) after ev training your pokemon and everything it will be time to level it up to the 80s or 90s. to do this really fast give it the lucky egg & battle in the big stadium & small court in nimbasa city.
3) once there send out the weak 1 first & on the first turn switch it out to another pokemon that is lv 80 or 90
4) the pokemon that is lv 80 or 90 holds an amulet coin.
5) set the battle mode to shift so that after the opponent's pokemon gets ko'd by your lv 90 you can switch it out & send out the weak pokemon without using a turn
6)repeat this process on all of the trainers in the place.

this strat ts good because a weak pokemon level up fast. they go from lvv 20-40 in one trainer battle. the strong one also gets exp. you also get lots of money because the strong pokemon holds an amulet coin. i got my infernape from level 40-100 in 5 days this way

*IZ*

You can make it easier if you use competetive movesets and no walls.

muffinz

oh nooooooooo
I use Action Replay.

That's not a tip or trick to make your games easier.
That's cheating.

Well, only if you're using it to, um, cheat. If you've already beaten the game and are just using it for fun, it's fine, but using it to win easily is nothing but cheating.

Kalosian

So long
When playing through the storyline in the games, I always overlevel a lot to make things easier. I also catch every new species of Pokemon that I meet as I will need them for the Pokedex later on, and I prefer to start working on it as early as possible.
I always buy both/all three versions of the games and trade between them to complete the Pokedex so I don't have to rely on other people for that.
I try to make my in-game teams balanced and avoid any overlapping types. I do also try to avoid using weak/useless Pokemon.

magikrap

Typhlosion Trainer
get Pokemon from trades with other people and give them the Lucky Egg to boot. Then go fight Audinos. :)
Since 3rd Gen, I've always made a point to carry a False Swiper around with me. In previous gens, I've usually used Marowak but this time I got Zangoose and trained it up to Lv. 100 so its False Swipe will usually bring the other Poke down to 1 HP in one blow. Very useful in catching shinies. :)
And no stalling Pokemon. Stalling is useless in-game, I prefer my battles to be quick and offensive, and during the first playthrough I usually don't EV train or breed. I just level up quickly and have fun. A good mix of types and physical/special users helps too.

muffinz

oh nooooooooo
If you're not cheating, you're not trying.

Wait what?
"Not trying" means not putting forth any effort. Cheating reduces the effort needed to do something.
Not cheating is more difficult, and so you have to try harder to win.
You might have misworded your post, or I might be misinterpreting it, but that sentence sounds completely nonsensical.
The idea of "Having to try harder = not trying" is just silly.

Mankanshoku Mako

Train only one pokemon, usually your starter. If it's getting all the EXP, it will turn into a nearly-unkillable tank destoying all foes in it's path with little effort.

SnivyBoy

I allways stick with my typing which is
Fire
Grass
Water
Electrick
Flying
Ground

So on White at the moment I have
Emboar
Lilligant
Carracosta
Klinkklang ( I know its not an Electrik type but it has learnt alot of Electrik moves)
Unfezant
Krookodile

Well, I only train my starter Pokemon. That way, you are overleveled, but you can still be beaten:) But still, beautiful tip.

NinjaJesus

Johto Fanboy
^ Similar to this, but I use more than one pokemon. Usually start with one, then catch another one or two early in the game, and then use them for the majority of the game. When there is a pokemon I think I will need further down the track, I might catch it and add to my team. This is a good method because those few pokemon get overleveled and you can walk all over trainers, gym leaders etc. I used to (and my bro still does and won't follow my way -_-) flood my team with the earliest six pokemon and replace them when a better one comes. This spreads the exp too much and it gives pokemon you will never use valuable exp -_-

Also, in SS, my gastly/haunter/gengar has won me pretty much every gym battle because I curse the strongest pokemon and then I just play the waiting game ^_^. smokescreen/flash helps with this as well. Claire's kingdra o_o. there was no way i would have beaten it without using this (Well i probably couldve, but it would have been really tough, seeing as i had nothind super effective against it)