• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Titles are for suckaz: Improve my first UU

randomspot555

I was getting bored of the 5-6 OU teams I was using, and have no idea what is even being tested on Suspect, so I decided to venture into UU.

Pokemon are in bold and the original set follows. Any changes made by users will be shown in red font.

And I have as much knowledge of UU as I do Suspect, I imagine it could be improved by quite a bit:

Ambipom (M) @ Silk Scarf
Ability: Technician
EVs: 6 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Fake Out
- Knock Off
- Taunt
- U-turn

I couldn't really find a good suicide lead for Stealth Rocks, so I decided to use the standard Ambipom set.

I felt Focus Sash wasn't going to be too helpful in surviving much, and Silk Scarf powers up STAB Fake Out. I don't think Ambipom will be living through too much, so I opted for Knock Off to get rid of early game items. U-Turn to scout out if Ambipom gets the chance.

Torterra (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 252 HP/6 Atk/252 Def
Impish nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Substitute
- Leech Seed
- Wood Hammer
- Earthquake

Only reason I'm using this is because I'm familiar with the set and the overall strategy. Sometimes it performs well and sometimes it's dead weight. I think the key is to eliminate Scarf users and other fast Pokes before bringing it out.

I'm also thinking it really doesn't need BOTH of it's STAB moves. A Stone Edge would help greatly with coverage. Or I could ditch Leech Seed for Synthesis. How common is Sand Stream in UU? Is Sand Storm the move ever used, since only one Pokemon can summon Sand Stream?

That all being sand, he provides a handy rock resist. I'd also like to try to fit in a Rapid Spinner somewhere, but I have no experience with them in UU outside of Claydol, which I run on two of my sand storm teams.

Altaria (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 Atk/252 Spd
Naive nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake

I'm ready to ditch this thing. Give me something else that can be a set-up sweeper. I saw a Swords Dance Venasaur a while ago. And from how many people talk, Venasaur is THE Pokemon to use and the one you need to check for.

Feraligatr (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 128 HP/252 Atk/128 Def
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Aqua Jet
- Superpower
- Crunch
- Body Slam

My logic behind this was it's speed isn't all that great, but it's got decent bulk and a great move pool. I tried a Swords Dance set to abuse Aqua Jet, but I never really got it down so I can always get 1-2 SDs in.

This set has worked out pretty well, though I'm tempted to ditch Aqua Jet. Base 40 power doesn't cut it, even with STAB.

Body Slam has been handy for hax.

Clefable (M) @ Flame Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP/58 Def/200 SDef
Impish nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Trick
- Wish
- Reflect/Light Screen

What an amazing and ridiculous Pokemon. I like to set up Stealth Rock first so Clefable can be burned. This acts as a check on status. I then find someone with a beneficial item, though really anything will do.

I'm really not finding too many special attacks to soak up in UU, so I'm considering re-investing the EVs into physical defense.

Milotic (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Marvel Scale
EVs: 252 HP/128 Def/128 SDef
Calm nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Toxic
- Surf

Really on the team to soak up hits. Isn't performing too well. Probably cause rest-talk isn't my style. Is Milotic useful in UU? How can I make it work?

Icy Wind was chosen over Ice Beam to lower speed of opponent's, but it's not at all useful. I'm sticking Toxic on there instead in the mean time until ya'll can help with the set.

What I like to do is Fake Out+Taunt with Ambipom. If it's still alive, Knock Off. And if it's still alive after that, U-Turn to Clefable so it gets burned right away and can set up Stealth Rock.

I think I can ditch Milotic for a Rapid Spinner, but what?

Also, I haven't encountered many Porygon-Z in UU. Is it something to watch out for? Maybe go with a DD-set for Feraligatr and Specs for Porygon-Z?

Rhys29

Encore
Venusaur is number one because it can Leech Seed Cress and take a hit from PoryZ. If I'm remembering my oh so extensive UU training correctly.

Venasaur or Drapion will work on Altaria's spot. Honestly not a fan of Venasaur but I'm sure you can find a bog standard set at Smogon that will work for you (SD or Growth or something). Otherwise Taunt SD Drapion can rip through a lot of teams and it crushes Cresselia which is always nice.

Torterra does look like dead weight. A handy Rock resist who also fits the description of a Rapid Spinner and ohlookittakescareofyourporyzweaknesstoohownice is Hitmontop. Life Orb or Choice Band are good options to use and I remember that CB Technician Mach Punch OHKO's basically every form of PoryZ.

Flamethrower on Clefable will help deal with Venusaur to some extent.